Is Eu cannon?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth_Frobo
I have a friend who refuses to beleive eu is cannon and said that GL himself said only the movies are cannon. Is he right and if he isn't (which I beleive is true) can you give me reliable quotes from GL or lucasarts that aren't on supershadow or wikipedia?

Tangible God
Yes, I have one--"Huuungry eyes.......I feel the magic between you and IIIII."

Darth Koroni
If George Lucas didn't think EU was cannon they wouldn't have been created, as he owns the Star Wars universe.

Nai Fohl
Well...

I hate the term "canon" as it's quite annoying. Basicaly the only things that are considered as "canon" are the thing coming from Lucas himself (the films, novelizations of the films, radio plays).

For the EU there are some rules: Things that don't contradict the movies can be considered "canon" or are part of a "continuity" in the history of the SW universe BUT Lucas doesn't want to limit himself. So it can (but probably will not) happen, that Lucas is going to make a movie (for example Episode VII-IX) or TV series or something like that and if that things contradict the EU than the EU can't be considered as "canon" any longer.

Still Lucas has an eye on the EU but he won't say that it is "canon" because he might do something that contradicts it. As long as he doesn't do that, the EU can be seen as "canon".

So basically the EU is just one possibility what could have happened before and after the movies and - as long as Lucas himself doesn't contradict it - it is the only possibility we know about. It's like a theory in history. As long as nobody can prove it wrong you can consider it "true" or "canon".

Captain REX
Essentially, anything not seen or mentioned in the movies and is in EU is usually not canon.

For example, the Forms of Lightsaber Combat and Vaapad; a lot of people try to explain that Mace's mastership of Vaapad led him to the Dark Side or helped him beat Palpatine. They can't use that argument, because not once in the movie do we hear 'Vaapad.'

Tangible God
Originally posted by Captain REX
Essentially, anything not seen or mentioned in the movies and is in EU is usually not canon.

For example, the Forms of Lightsaber Combat and Vaapad; a lot of people try to explain that Mace's mastership of Vaapad led him to the Dark Side or helped him beat Palpatine. They can't use that argument, because not once in the movie do we hear 'Vaapad.' Bout time someone said that.

Ast Rofan

For example, the Forms of Lightsaber Combat and Vaapad; a lot of people try to explain that Mace's mastership of Vaapad led him to the Dark Side or helped him beat Palpatine. They can't use that argument, because not once in the movie do we hear 'Vaapad.'

Yeah that Mace loving Vaapad crap has been pissing me off. mad

exanda kane
I really get bored with the 'EU isnt cannon' side of the argument - especially when most of the EU is better than the Prequel Trilogy . . .

Tangible God
Originally posted by exanda kane
I really get bored with the 'EU isnt cannon' side of the argument - especially when most of the EU is better than the Prequel Trilogy . . . Damn straight it is, we get to see Mace die, Padme die, Qui-gon die, Jango die, Dooku die, and countless Jedi die, but was it asking to much of Lucas to sacrifice Jar Jar to the deity that is our burning hatred of him?

Nai Fohl

Well...

That point is pretty much argueable since the "lightsaber forms" are coming from Nick Gillard who is responsible for the entire lightsaber fighting coordination in the movies. Actualy I would consider this to be "canon" since it was used in the movies. And the lightsaber forms are also mentioned in the novelisations of the movies - thereby they are "canon".

Nactous
Couldnt have said it better Nai.

Darth_Frobo
So what your saying is that Eu is merely what could've happened and because we have nothing technically "cannon" that's what we'll have to go by? Is KOTOR cannon because I've been told it isn't"

Cinemaddiction
KOTOR is E.U. It's been common knowledge that anything written by anyone other than Lucas isn't canon. E.U. has ruined a lot of backstories, as well as supplied contradictions that throw the whole SW universe off kilter, especially Boba Fett.

Claiming he made his way out of the Sarlaac, despite being knocked unconscious, having a faulty jetpack, miraculously being swallowed but no digested...that's just bullshit.

Nactous
Hell yes KotORs canon.

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
KOTOR is E.U. It's been common knowledge that anything written by anyone other than Lucas isn't canon. E.U. has ruined a lot of backstories, as well as supplied contradictions that throw the whole SW universe off kilter, especially Boba Fett.

Claiming he made his way out of the Sarlaac, despite being knocked unconscious, having a faulty jetpack, miraculously being swallowed but no digested...that's just bullshit.

dance

Nactous
Lets not get directly involved with KotOR, please.

Zachara
LOL, Nactous. KOTOR really is your child, itsn't it?

Nactous
Yes, yes it is. It will be a whole two years old in a couple of days.

darthrevan89
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f38/t20461.html

This was posted by a mod and should answer the question of this thread.

Nactous
Well... thats their opinion.

((The_Anomaly))
no, its Mr. Lucas' and lucasfilms opinion and they have final say on all things Star Wars, thats it. in effect you "opinion" about this matter is irrelivant.

EU is not Canon.

its been stated by Lucas, and Lucasfilm

case closed

thats it.

Nactous
Its his opinion.

((The_Anomaly))
he owns it and he created it, his opinion is the only one that matters.

Nactous
You can not "simply" own Star Wars, it belongs to more than one man. It would be more accurate to say he created it.

((The_Anomaly))
no im pretty sure Lucas owns it...lol

seeing as its his...

since he made it...

DeVi| D0do
Why was this thread started and I wasn't told about it? stick out tongue

EU is NOT canon! Woo!

I'm probably going to forget about this thread, 'cause I don't come to the Lit. and EU forum often... but generally, I agree with everything Anomaly says. big grin

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by Nactous
You can not "simply" own Star Wars, it belongs to more than one man. It would be more accurate to say he created it.

Okay I never agreed with ou before, but I always found your points "interesting", but that is just dfuiah crazy. eek!

Nactous
No, the question is, who inherits the Empire? GL could drop dead tommorrow, who gets it? BTW thanks Ast.

DeVi| D0do
Lucas owns Star Wars, no question about it...

((The_Anomaly))
lucas's kids get it i suppose.

Nactous
Well, it should go to a blood relative.

DeVi| D0do
George Lucas can't die, what the hell are you on about?

Nactous
Trust me, when we see the end of Lucas, we see the end of Star Wars.

Tulak Hord
There is no such thing as an End to star wars! There are always authors ready to write! I cannot fathom these words! Where did you learn such blasphemy!

Nactous
Forgive me, what I ment was the private ownership of LucasFilm, would you by stock in that company?

Tulak Hord
No. They're ignorent sunsa...well..can't say it, kids come here. But if they don't believe in EU, I want nothing to do with 'em at all.

Nactous
Yes, yes they are.

((The_Anomaly))
no, im not ignorant, because the use of the word dosent make sense in the context you used it.

im fully aware of EU, i understand it. i just dont agree with most of it.

so therefore im not ignorant, because that would mean i am unnaware of what EU is, which im not, i simply just dont like most of it.

oh and Lucasfilm goes to whoever Lucas leavs it too in his will.

which is prolly his kids.

Nactous
THe kids dont give a damn and will sell. Mr Im not ignorant.

Tulak Hord
I didn't say you were ignorent, I said Lucasfilm LTD is.

((The_Anomaly))
ahh, you didnt make that clear.

how is lucasfilm ignorant?

Nactous
Ya, get it straight before you say anything MR. I'm not ignorant.

DeVi| D0do
I'm sure his kids do give at least a little bit of a damn...

Tulak Hord
Yeah. Otherwise Jet (?) Lucas wouldn't have been in the movie. You know he also does the voice on anakin on the game? Go figure.

((The_Anomaly))
Ya, get it straight before you say anything MR. I'm not ignorant.

perhaps he should explain what hes talking about more clearly.

Nactous
Are you sure thats his voice.

((The_Anomaly))
ohh. btw! nice Sig!

i didnt notice that, haha! awesome...

Tulak Hord
I read on the Instruction manual credits. It said Jet Lucas.

Nactous
Thought youd notice.

Nactous
Hmm, maybe thats why the voice talent is so crappy.

Darth Koroni

Yes he does own it. He has the trademark and copyrights for it. However, Lucas is never consistant on wheither EU is canon or not, because canon is a stupid concept.

Ushgarak
I have had enough of canon disucssions around here, they only lead to endless arguing. Board policy in this area is clearly stated in the move areas.

For the record, however, I will state that canon is NOT a matter of opinion. Opinion is irrelevant. It is a matter of fact dictated by the copyright holder, which happens to be GL. Board policy is not interested in what anyone WANTS to be so, either from EU haters or EU admirers. It is only interested in the facts of the matter.

Closed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.