The Terminator Trilogy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

monkifier
T1 = Moderate, T2 = gangsta, T3 = Batty.com.

Thats my opinion of all the films.

Enjoy! Happy Dance

chriscaffee
T1 and T2 are hard to compare because they both set out to do different things and they do them well. The original Terminator has an all around better story, is more grounded in reality (or rather suspends your disbelief more easily) and has a villian that is not only terrifying, but the best in the series. Robert Patrick's persistance and elegance are captured very well and his acting is superb, but it just doesn't have the same psychological impact as watching this six-foot Austrian in black leathers get his face smashed by a semi, and as he is rolling underneath the truck, he grabs onto the frame of the trailer and tries to hang on.

Terminator 2 succeeds at creating the best action flick of all time bar-none. At long last T2 gave us an action film where the muscled hero actually could have physical strength and can have dozens of enemies unload automatic weapons on him and he comes out without a scratch. We have dual-wielding and flip-cocking shotguns and miniguns fired at the hip, and a man running across a moving pickup, jumping on a moving truck chasing the pickup, opening fire on the driver, then commandeering the truck and rolling it over.

Terminator 3 had a few interesting scenes, but none of them were spectacular. One scene that was neat was the Terminator being dragged through the glass building. It is true that no human could survive such a thing, but the scene itself wasn't that good because it was just saying "look he's a Terminator, he doesn't feel pain and glass can cut his skin but it won't do anything to his endoskeleton." It wasn't action because it was passive. The Terminator wasn't doing something interesting, some was happening to him.

None of the weapons were permanant or lasting. So we couldn't identify with the Terminator in any way. In Terminator 2 we remember the sawed-off Winchester 1887 lever-action. In T1 we can't forget the images of him with the Uzi, or better yet the AR-18 assault rifle and SPAS-12 semi-auto shotgun, totally wrecking the police station. Jericho Cain has his Glock pistols and the custom MP5A3 submachine gun with and underslung M203A1 grenade launcher. Heck in Predator we remember Blain with Ol' Painless. Decker in Blade Runner has his distinctive pistol. Even Vin Diesel in XXX has that funky .44-magnum revolver with all the attachments.

In T3 we start off with a (pretty cool looking) shotgun that does absolutely nothing important, and then he ditches it for a machine gun which he promptly drops after emptying one belt of ammo. He fires one rocket from the RPG (he had at least two, and the RPG did damage to the T-X so it might have been smart to hang onto that weapon and use it again). Then we switch to a .45-caliber UMP submachine gun, and after emptying a magazine he drops that and switches to a 40mm grenade launcher, empties a single magazine and gets rid of that. Then he uses a G36K, empties a magazine at an HK and then gets rid of it and the rest is all hand-fighting until the finale when he pops out his power core and nukes himself and the T-X.

vvvrulz
Pretty much spot on there Chris, on every account.

I'd just like to say that along with the original action scense and the weapons that went down in T3, so to did the acting. In the first two, Hamilton, Furlong and Beihn were simply superb, each pulled off their 'human' roles to perfection. However it all took a tumble in T3, Stahl was not true to his character created in T2 and Danes was just pathetic.

The dialogues were generally just recycled from the first two, hell even the Silberman cameo was just leftovers really, there was no continuity from the T2 storyline. Why on EARTH were there almost no cops trying to bring down either terminator when they infiltrated cyberdine. Just one example of a misread plothole.

T1 like Chris said, stands on its own because of its different era and almost different genre altogether. It was a thriller whereas T2 was more all-out action.

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by vvvrulz
The dialogues were generally just recycled from the first two, hell even the Silberman cameo was just leftovers really, there was no continuity from the T2 storyline. Why on EARTH were there almost no cops trying to bring down either terminator when they infiltrated cyberdine. Just one example of a misread plothole.

This is almost the same thing we were saying in the Picture Thread before. I understand why perhaps nobody attempted to bring down the TX since she could very well take the shape of any person she pleased. Though while Kate was the daughter of Robert Brewster it still doesn't touch on the reason a 6-foot man with bullet holes and guns would be let in with John Connor who obviously looked like he had just done drugs or came from a hospital. That and according to authorities Arnold had kidnapped Kate which make less sense why they didn't attempt to shoot down or capture John and Arnold.

Originally posted by TheFilmProphet
I was thinking, "Man Arnold killed like 20 police officers, broke into Pescadero and broke out a patient, destroyed Cyberdyne, blew up SWAT and cop cars in both the 90's and now, was involved in the destruction of a pet hospital, caused significant damage to several buildings, and kidnapped Kate." "But nobody seems to notice." At least an extra ten minutes of film featuring a news cast of a "Wanted Criminal" and maybe a chopper circling the sky would have made this film a little bit better in my eyes.

chriscaffee
Yep. If they would have had just a quick scene in the cemetary where the SWAT leader is passing photographs around of the Terminator from 1984 and 1992 or if they included the scene with Vulkovich in a wheel chair as originally planned the movie would have been infinitly better. I like the novel (I just read it yesterday) because it actually explains most of the plotholes in the movie, like how the Terminator, John and Catherine get into CRS and such.

vvvrulz
Well, never mind the photo's for a second.. lets pretend that they indeed had no idea who Arnie was. Even then, they break into a high security building and cause significant damage to the facility and the equipment, the T-X kills Kate Brewster's dad, and there were no alarm bells !?

Even if it was Jon Bon Jovi attacking the building, some cops should have at least shown up.

TheFilmProphet
Well, never mind the photo's for a second.. lets pretend that they indeed had no idea who Arnie was. Even then, they break into a high security building and cause significant damage to the facility and the equipment, the T-X kills Kate Brewster's dad, and there were no alarm bells !?

Even if it was Jon Bon Jovi attacking the building, some cops should have at least shown up.

laughing

Though unfortunately its true, they make it seem as if Arnie and crew could have just walked into the Pentagon or White House and nobody would care.

TMACalicious
LOL

Oh, btw, after a long break of not posting, I'm back, hopefully hehe

vvvrulz
lol. Slacker

And TFP, I disagree, you can never attack the White House in America, burn down all of Texas, but surely not the White House !! stick out tongue

TheFilmProphet
lol. Slacker

And TFP, I disagree, you can never attack the White House in America, burn down all of Texas, but surely not the White House !! stick out tongue

Actually Arnie is already half way there in real life, stick out tongue

jedi-kev
T1 = Excellent
T2 = Outstanding
T3 = WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!

vvvrulz
Mostow.. Jonathan Mostow happened.

barand1
Mostow isn't a bad director, his just as good as Cameron! I mean you don't hire a B movie director, to replace an A movie director. I was hoping for Ridley Scott for T3, or even Ang Lee. Oh Well

redcaped
I would like something done for the previous two films to replace it with cool CGI!

barand1
T2 had cool CGI which still holds up, even looks better than most films these days. Thats pretty outstanding I think.

As for T1, well...

redcaped
When Arnold revealed his metal arm looks fake to me and the T-1000 is old CGI.

redcaped
Plus when T-1000 gets shot at the mall with the jap guy on the way you may notice implants on his shirt like stickers.

Benhacker
Originally posted by chriscaffee
Yep. If they would have had just a quick scene in the cemetary where the SWAT leader is passing photographs around of the Terminator from 1984 and 1992 or if they included the scene with Vulkovich in a wheel chair as originally planned the movie would have been infinitly better. I like the novel (I just read it yesterday) because it actually explains most of the plotholes in the movie, like how the Terminator, John and Catherine get into CRS and such.

I also read the novelization of Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.

Have any of you read Terminator 3: Terminator Dreams or Terminator 3: Terminator Hunt ?

Terminator 3: Terminator Dreams is just before Judgement Day in Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines. Terminator 3: Terminator Hunt is during the War with the Machines.

Benhacker cool

chriscaffee
I haven't read any of the other Terminator 3 novels. The only reason I read the movie adaptation is because it was free. It was an okay book. What made it interesting is that they filled in some of the plotholes that were in the movie but invented a new one: how did John send Terminator back in time when he should have already been killed? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but the book implied John was still alive at the time.

As for T2s effects, I think a lot of them still hold up. The CG healing is pretty good. The full body shots where he is all silver don't look fantastic. The hook-arms and bullet shots are fairly good as is the Terminator makeup. I still think the makeup from the first move is both more interesting and more believeable, but in T2 the only parts that look fake are when he supposedly loses his arm and his face. You can see where the gaps in his skull are just filled in with black material due to the harsh lighting of the steel mill.

redcaped
Yes, they both need a fix to math T3.

spiderboy6
terminator is a loa d of crap all three films absoulete crap arnold swatsanigger ruins it it would be a lot better with a different actor

barand1
*Speachless*

redcaped
Arnold is a person of events and not an ordinary one. He explains as a terminator his reasons to comeback repeatedly. I have never tasted defeat.

vvvrulz
Originally posted by spiderboy6
terminator is a loa d of crap all three films absoulete crap arnold swatsanigger ruins it it would be a lot better with a different actor

confused

barand1
Did anyone know about this upcoming DVD?

Terminator Trilogy: Deluxe Edition

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Terminator-Trilogy-Deluxe/dp/B000I8OCP8/sr=1-12/qid=1159812187/ref=sr_1_12/026-0817849-2863645?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

RevoWution™©®
Will all 3 movies be special edition as well? I kinda doubt it cuz there's only 3 discs in the set. So it might just be the normal dvd versions.

I'd get it if all 3 were special editions though.

Konjammenson
Originally posted by spiderboy6
Thank you for that well thought out and enlightening post.

barand1
Yeah so would I RevoWution.

vvvrulz
Konjammenson > Well he is a spiderman fan.

OB1-adobe
I have a love/hate relationship with T3.

Across the board there is a billion reasons why this movie should'nt have been made.

But when I saw it I loved it.

barand1
I love it and feel sorry for it.

RevoWution™©®
Konjammenson > Well he is a spiderman fan.

Lol, and his account is restricted too haha. I wonder what that means... smile

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by barand1
Did anyone know about this upcoming DVD?

Terminator Trilogy: Deluxe Edition

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Terminator-Trilogy-Deluxe/dp/B000I8OCP8/sr=1-12/qid=1159812187/ref=sr_1_12/026-0817849-2863645?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

How can there be a box set????? The films are owned by 3 different studios.

Mgm has the first

tri star or columbia I think has the second

and WB has the 3rd

barand1
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/terminator-trilogy3.html

T800 CSM101
Originally posted by Benhacker
I also read the novelization of Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.

Have any of you read Terminator 3: Terminator Dreams or Terminator 3: Terminator Hunt ?

Terminator 3: Terminator Dreams is just before Judgement Day in Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines. Terminator 3: Terminator Hunt is during the War with the Machines.

Benhacker cool

where can i get those books?

Benhacker
Originally posted by T800 CSM101
where can i get those books?

At your local library, eBay or sci-fi book stores.

Benhacker cool

coolmovies
Its a six disk box set with a bones disk for each film

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.