Recasting Qui-gon

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

systemshock2
Now that in hindsight we know from various reports that Liam Neeson probably refused to do any Qui-Gon Jinn work for Episode II, and most importantly Episode III, if Lucas had the chance to avoid this problem by starting all over and recasting the role during the preproduction of Episode I, who would you have liked to have filled the role instead? I know I know, I'm a very big Neeson fan as well, but Qui-Gon is such a pivotal character in the prequel trilogy that he deserves to at least be seen in each episode. So if Qui-Gon could be recast who would you have liked to have taken the part? For me, Robert De Niro, because he has the same top-billing and respected work as Neeson, and I could easily see him portraying the mentor-type role. Any other suggestions?

DeVi| D0do
De Niro is too old... and I would say he has done far better work than Neeson.

Neeson refusing to work on the sequels is just speculation really.

Superfly4000
sam jackson

NoFate007
I thought he was perfect

Paul-Muad'Dib
Oh my, De Niro wouldn't fit at all, Liam was very good, the movies are made so why bother smile

viking12344
Liam was excellent and more importantly, MY vision of what a jedi should be.
You know, back in the day, as a kid watching Kenobi, Luke and Yoda talk about the Jedi, Neeson was the man I just thought about as a jedi even though I did not know it.
Of all the casting GL did, that was one of his best. I really could not say who else could have filled that role but now I must think hard and re-reply later. Good topic btw.

Captain REX
I would keep Neeson. I don't care if Liam didn't want to be in the movies; that's his own thing. yes

systemshock2
Here's another suggestion just for the heck of it. Great actor with some respected work and within the right age bracket: Gabriel Byrne. (I thought I heard one time that he almost had a part in Episode II. Was there ever any merit to this?) And as far as De Niro being too old, in the final Episode I script Qui-Gon is described as being in his sixties.

DenKi
Hitler in a Bikini

Captain REX
And that has what to do with anything?

Seriously, I don't see why you'd recast Neeson.

Darth_Janus
Liam was fine. And Qui-Gon wasn't -that- pivotal that he needed to be in the other movies save for perhaps a cameo appearance. I had heard he injured his leg and couldn't show for ROTS. I've also heard he went on to film extra content that will be in the DVD. Who knows...

LordSorgo
Originally posted by Darth_Janus
Liam was fine. And Qui-Gon wasn't -that- pivotal that he needed to be in the other movies save for perhaps a cameo appearance. I had heard he injured his leg and couldn't show for ROTS. I've also heard he went on to film extra content that will be in the DVD. Who knows...

My parents forced me to watch the OT when i was five years old back in '85. They are huge SW fans.

masterkit
Liams fine.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.