War of the Gems (SNES)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord S
Time for a trip down memory lane...

I hadn't played this game in ages...I bought it back in 96, and was just getting into comic books at the time, and was mostly into X-Men...so I really didn't recognize any of the other characters.

Back in the 90's, I used to play it regularly...usually finishing it, but not really appreciating the story or the characters. In recent years only once or twice a year...usually not bothering after fighting the Magus...until a few days ago, when I decided to play all the way to the end after many years. I must say this is a GREAT game...especially if you're a comics fan. I found a new appreciation for this game.

I didn't realize how many characters were actually in this game...a lot of them are 'evil' doppleganger versions of heroes, since this game is loosely based on both Infinity Gauntlet and Infinity War crossovers.

So for fun I'm going to run down a list of the characters.

Host
Adam Warlock

Heroes
Captain America
Wolverine
Spider-man
Iron Man
Hulk

Main Boss
Thanos

Lesser Bosses
Dr. Doom (w/Doombots)...you actually fight him twice
The Magus
Nebula
Blackheart

Evil Heroes
Hawkeye
Vision
Puck (extremely annoying)
Iron Man
Wolverine
Hulk
Daredevil
Sasquatch
Thing
She-Hulk
Silver Surfer (special bonus)

Cameo Appearance
Dr. Strange (a real treat)

Notably there are ZERO X-characters in this game...aside from Wolverine. This may piss a few people off but hey, they had their own bloody game (Mutant Apocalypse) a year earlier, so it was good that they weren't involved here.

So anyway, this game is highly recommended...if you can find it. Try looking on eBay, cause I can assure you that it won't be available anywhere else, and there's no chance in hell that I'll ever sell mine.

SaTsuJiN
are you talking about the fighting game? or is this another type of game?.. I loved the fighting game..

Lord S
Well there is fighting involved...it's an adventure game.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/data/588471.html

SaTsuJiN
Hmm.. Im surprised noone remembers the vs fighting game (1 on 1).. where you had to beat the gem out of the person you were fighting to gain its power... by the end you had all the gems.. but thanos uppercutted you and shoved them in his gauntlet

Lord S
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
Hmm.. Im surprised noone remembers the vs fighting game (1 on 1).. where you had to beat the gem out of the person you were fighting to gain its power... by the end you had all the gems.. but thanos uppercutted you and shoved them in his gauntlet Yeah that was the 2D fighter called 'Marvel Super Heroes'. I haven't forgotten it...as a matter of fact I regularly play it. You have five of the six gems by the time you face Thanos, and since he retains the Mind gem, he steals all of yours to form the Infinity Gauntlet.

The only time you'll ever see Magneto square off with Thanos...cause I don't believe it's been done in any comic book.

Playing as Thanos, and beating the game with him is a real treat. You get presented with two choices; either give up the power, or acquire more. If you renounce it, you go and live on a farm...if you go for the latter, you replace Eternity as the new embodiment of life in the universe.

Cool stuff.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.