Was Anakin the right choice for Hayden.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nactous
I loved the original, everyday day feel that the OT Anakin gave off, he was an average guy who got involved with the empire. The original Anakin was more of your everyday guy, he didnt have a six pack, and long, shiney hair.
Does anyone else think GL juiced it up to much with the whole, choosen one thing. I was so upset with the change on the ROTJ DVD that I nearly through it across the room. The original is better in my opinion, the prequel is to far-fetched.

Nactous
Sorry, I ment the title backwards.

Ast Rofan
Im sure there was probably a better choice, but I like Hayden as Anakin. And I love the change to ROTJ.

Nactous
Im not saying Hayden cant act, its how they potrayed the character of Anakin in the prequel TRILOGY, it seems different.

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by Nactous
Im not saying Hayden cant act, its how they potrayed the character of Anakin in the prequel TRILOGY, it seems different.

Did you expect him to walk around actiing like Vader the entire time?

McCusto
I can't think of anyone else playing Anakin but Hayden

Nactous
Now, their are some things that I cant see the "prequel" Anakin doing and saying things that Vader does.

Ast Rofan
Now, their are some things that I cant see the "prequel" Anakin doing and saying things that Vader does.

True, I cant see Vader getting anyone pregnant. stick out tongue

Nactous
Originally posted by McCusto
Okay, let me rephrase, Hayden as Anakin doesn't act like Vader.

Nactous
Originally posted by Ast Rofan
True, I cant see Vader getting anyone pregnant. stick out tongue
Yeah, one would think his "stuff" got burnt off. laughing out loud

Jedi Priestess
Did you expect him to walk around actiing like Vader the entire time?

susprisingly, many fan boys do indeed

and people forget that Anakin didnt start out as Vader, Lucas himself has said many times that Anakin Skywalker was a loving and giving individual before he turned to the dark side.

Nactous
No, its just I grew up with the impression as Anakin as an older man before he became Vader.

Red Superfly
Hayden was good as Anakin, but only in III.

Lucas wanted a guy who looked like a bit of lovable rogue. Anakin was supposed to be Luke but with bits of Han's rebelliousness and guile. Lucas stated he was going after a James Dean-type of actor.

If you have seen James Dean, you will realise Hayden looks a lot like him.

I personally think Lucas failed completely with Hayden in Episode II. Lucas chose the right guy for sure, but a combination of the story, the make-up, the hair, the directing of the character, gave the complete opposite vibe of a James Dean-type Jedi. The ingredients were right, but something went wrong.

Episode III however - Success! Anakin looks and acts like James Dean, if James Dean were given a lightsaber and a robe. The effects/directing did work against him, but in the end, Hayden was a brilliant choice.

I think the biggest mistake was waiting for two whole movies to show us the real deal. I have and always will consider Episodes I and II to be pointless. Lucas should have stretched out Episode III and made an OT-esque trilogy revolving around the bad ass Jedi known as Anakin. We didn't need to see his whole life, just like we didn't need to see Lukes. Hayden was a good choice, simply because he fits the criteria Lucas was going for almost perfectly, but we only "got" what Lucas was attempting with him in Episode III.

Nactous
Vader and Anakin are both cocky, but in to different senses, playful and serious. It didnt carry over.

Captain REX
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
susprisingly, many fan boys do indeed

and people forget that Anakin didnt start out as Vader, Lucas himself has said many times that Anakin Skywalker was a loving and giving individual before he turned to the dark side.

Yup! It's annoying when they go "Oh, that NOOO! scene was horrible, not Vader at all!" Well, that's because that's Anakin, he's not fully Vader yet. no expression

General Bondius
I think Hayden is a so so actor, not to bad, but an Oscar winner either, and the change in ROTJ was really lame, I thought Sebastian Shaw was perfect on that scene.

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by General Bondius
I thought Sebastian Shaw was perfect on that scene.

Yeah, not many can stand and smile that good. stick out tongue

Nactous
I think Hayden is a so so actor, not to bad, but an Oscar winner either, and the change in ROTJ was really lame, I thought Sebastian Shaw was perfect on that scene.

Agree 100%

Ast Rofan
I like the Jedi change, because me and many others view Hayden as Anakin, not so old guy we see f'd for a couple minutes.

Lana
For one thing, I dunno how you think Anakin gave off any sort of 'feel' in the OT since Vader was Anakin in the OT for about 5 minutes, tops.....

For another, in the PT, of COURSE Anakin wasn't going to act like Vader. He didn't become Vader until the second half of ROTS. Even after that people whine that he didn't act like Vader....well, duh. He just became Vader. He didn't turn into the Vader we know from the OT overnight.

Jedi Priestess
I agree.

Ast Rofan
Hard to disagree with a sig....I mean point like that. stick out tongue

Jedi Priestess
pervert! ^ ^ ^ ^

Lana
Hard to disagree with a sig....I mean point like that. stick out tongue

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
pervert! ^ ^ ^ ^

What? I still only have eyes for you JP. big grin

Nactous
Originally posted by Lana
For one thing, I dunno how you think Anakin gave off any sort of 'feel' in the OT since Vader was Anakin in the OT for about 5 minutes, tops.....

For another, in the PT, of COURSE Anakin wasn't going to act like Vader. He didn't become Vader until the second half of ROTS. Even after that people whine that he didn't act like Vader....well, duh. He just became Vader. He didn't turn into the Vader we know from the OT overnight.

Apperance says everything, the original Anakin didnt look like a warior, he looked like an aged Jedi.

Lana
Yeah. Cos he was a ghost.

Let me ask you this. Did Obi-wan look much like a warrior in the OT? Not really. But was he in the PT? Yes.

General Bondius
Yeah, not many can stand and smile that good. stick out tongue

JAJAJAJAJAJAJA laughing

I meant what he represents, what I always ask is why didnt they change sir Alec guiness too.

Lana
JAJAJAJAJAJAJA laughing

I meant what he represents, what I always ask is why didnt they change sir Alec guiness too.

The whole "Anakin died when he became Darth Vader" thing roll eyes (sarcastic) Personally I disliked that change.

Nactous
Yeah. Cos he was a ghost.

Let me ask you this. Did Obi-wan look much like a warrior in the OT? Not really. But was he in the PT? Yes.

An aged warrior, guy can move. Yeah, which brings me to another point, the little problems in Star Wars are what makes it priceless, ala Emperor being played by someone else in ESB.

Lana
If there are any problems in SW in regards to continuity, they were made by the PT, not the OT.

The Sidious thing in ESB is completely irrelevant.

Nactous
I didnt say their was a problem of continunity in the OT.

Captain REX
I thought the Emperor was creepier in the original ESB...

I preferred Sebastian Shaw for the OT Anakin; otherwise, it looks like Anakin didn't age in the past 20+ years.

Lana
Originally posted by Captain REX

I preferred Sebastian Shaw for the OT Anakin; otherwise, it looks like Anakin didn't age in the past 20+ years.

No kidding. Which is blatantly obvious, when Luke removes Vader's mask, to not be the case.

amity75
I though Hayden was great but I must admit I would have loved to see *puts on kevlar vest* Leo DiCapprio playing him. I know people will strongly disagree but the boy can act. AND he looks like Jake Lloyd. A bit.

Nactous
Originally posted by Captain REX

Well, thats something we can agree on.

amity75
Lucas should have re-filmed the unmasking scene and had an aged Haydens face with the burns make up on. If he was gonna include him at the end then he should just have went the whole hog and put him in the most memorable scene.

Boris
I liked his performance, so yes.

DeVi| D0do
I didn't, so no. stick out tongue

SS_181st_Snow
Yuck! DeCaprio with a lightsaber? He'll prolly find the first chick he can and *Ahhem*. I liked Hayden, his attitude was perfect. The ROTJ thing, I think, was needed. When I saw Sebastian Shaw at the end of ROTJ, I'd look at him, then obi-wan, and think "He wouldn't have the physical prowress to fight obi-wan." But Hayden standing there, I'd think. "I could definitly see 'em duking it out."

Aduruth
I think gl couldn't have picked anyone better for the role, and I think the part of Hayden at the end was good. I heard the Leonardo "decrappeo" tried for the role, would u want him as anakin or hayden? lol

My opinion though.

DeVi| D0do
Leonardo is a far better actor than Christensen. But I wouldn't have liked him as Anakin.

Ast Rofan
Yeah, we already have enough Anakin fangirls, Leo would have been worse. stick out tongue

SS_181st_Snow
Arn't you one of 'em ast?

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by SS_181st_Snow
Arn't you one of 'em ast?

He is dreamy, but I have always been more of an Obi guy. cool

SS_181st_Snow
Ahh, I wondered about those Obi posters in your room, and the magizine of him in "Lightsaber Monthly".

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by SS_181st_Snow
Ahh, I wondered about those Obi posters in your room, and the magizine of him in "Lightsaber Monthly".

I think its the beard, it tickles me. laughing out loud

SS_181st_Snow
...I'm not touching that...at all..

Ast Rofan
Ah, dont be jealous. wink

SS_181st_Snow
Feh, I like Padme more than Obi. You and obi go do what....you people do stick out tongue. I'm gonna take Padme to the tanning boothes on Mustafar as soon as I kill Anakin.

Stunrun
I like the Jedi change, because me and many others view Hayden as Anakin, not so old guy we see f'd for a couple minutes.

i agreesmile

i actually think this is the best change in all three, nothing against Sabastian - he STILL played his part as the aftermath of Anakin - wherelse Hayden was the hay-day Anakinwink

Stunrun
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Leonardo is a far better actor than Christensen. But I wouldn't have liked him as Anakin.

he would of been great - if not greater, but i just couldnt imagine him playing the role. I suppose it was Hayden's innocense - that put a plus point on Anakinsmile

Altar[1stONE]
leo being forever known as the man to become darth vader , titantic boy?!?!! sick
I dont think so .
Man someone mentioned they'd rather see a burnt aged hayden replace shawn in the unmasking scene. i have to admit, id like to see that as well. But the reedit of shawns eyes to match haydens, i can see him passing as an elderly hayden christensen.

Sith Solo
Anakin was far to over the top in the PT I agree with you Nactous, As someone mentioned previously on these forums, it looked as if the galaxy's two most beutiful people got together in AOTC.

I disagree with you Nactous about Hayden replacing Shaw in ROTJ though as it showed anakin in his prime as "the chosen one" + Lucas needed a solid link from the prequel trilogy to the original trilogy to nail the final scenes of ROTJ. (apart from Artoo & Threepio) As opposed to the old Sebastian Shaw that had fans under 15 scratching there heads confused

Fear not OT lovers as
More scenes to be inserted and more cg and more editing for the Original Trilogy for the 30th Celebration of SW, Happy Dance Gotta love it big grin Happy Dance

irule
I think Hayden was great. his best performance was in ROTS!. He really protrayed the part as Anakin and Vader!. If Hayden was around during the OT and he was old enough they should have him play Vader!. In ROTJ they have should have Hayden age 30 years so when Luke takes Vader helmet off he see's Hayden but he aged about 30 years since ROTS.

Canadadude
Hayden was cast well to play Anakin, but I think it was the directing of Lucas that made Anakin look so bad in the PT. I guess Hayden and Lucas had a huge disagreement about how ANakin should be protrayed in AOTC. I guess Hayden did multipal takes of when he was explaining to Padme that he killed all the sandpeople. Hayden wanted to be more like Vader and Lucas wanted him to be this winey kid.

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Hayden was good as Anakin, but only in III.

Lucas wanted a guy who looked like a bit of lovable rogue. Anakin was supposed to be Luke but with bits of Han's rebelliousness and guile. Lucas stated he was going after a James Dean-type of actor.

If you have seen James Dean, you will realise Hayden looks a lot like him.

I personally think Lucas failed completely with Hayden in Episode II. Lucas chose the right guy for sure, but a combination of the story, the make-up, the hair, the directing of the character, gave the complete opposite vibe of a James Dean-type Jedi. The ingredients were right, but something went wrong.

Episode III however - Success! Anakin looks and acts like James Dean, if James Dean were given a lightsaber and a robe. The effects/directing did work against him, but in the end, Hayden was a brilliant choice.

I think the biggest mistake was waiting for two whole movies to show us the real deal. I have and always will consider Episodes I and II to be pointless. Lucas should have stretched out Episode III and made an OT-esque trilogy revolving around the bad ass Jedi known as Anakin. We didn't need to see his whole life, just like we didn't need to see Lukes. Hayden was a good choice, simply because he fits the criteria Lucas was going for almost perfectly, but we only "got" what Lucas was attempting with him in Episode III.

I disagree, I think it WAS 100% nessassary to show Anakins life. We needed to see that he was once a caring giving young kid. and that kid who was so innocent and giving ended up being so corrupted. it adds a whole new level to Vader. To just start with Eps III and then do vader killing stuff for 2 more movies would be cool for sure, but it would have no substance.

kf100
i loved Hayden as Anakin. i haven't heard anyone defending the change at the end by saying that it was necessary because what do you think his soul is going to look like. he never had the chance to grow up looking like normal people. in his soul he was still Anakin. the boy before Vader and the black armor. no one knows what he would have looked like when he grew up, not even him. so his soul still converts back to that youth stage, when he knew what he looked like. that's just how i see it, though many of you may not.

amity75
I'd have liked to have seen the guy who plays Harry in the spider-man films (James Franco I think) play Anakin.

Altar[1stONE]
both hayden and franco look like brothers or something. They have similar features. Infact ive been told that i look like both of them, weird huh. But yea your right , they both have that james dean thing going on. And when it comes to playing angsty pissed off teenagers , they would be your best bet.

SW3HP4IJ4
Originally posted by McCusto

Same, though James Franco could have done it.

.:Space Opera:.
chistopher walkins couldve done it as well.

Stunrun
Christopher Walken lol? hes 62stick out tongue or do you mean somone else?

Padawan
Yea, Hayden was the right choice for Anakin, no doubt. I am not so sure about his acting skills, however. He doesn't seem to put much emotion into his acting or into his voice, either. However, that might be what GL wanted and directed him to do. Physically, he was perfect for the part. I'd say no one else could have pulled it off as well. And Di Capprio? NO WAY! laughing sick

jedi90
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
I disagree, I think it WAS 100% nessassary to show Anakins life. We needed to see that he was once a caring giving young kid. and that kid who was so innocent and giving ended up being so corrupted. it adds a whole new level to Vader. To just start with Eps III and then do vader killing stuff for 2 more movies would be cool for sure, but it would have no substance.

i disagree, you can understand everything about anakin from just ep3. my mother in law saw the movie with me without seeing ep1 and 2 and undertood everything just fine, my wife on the other hand saw all of the PT movie and they confused her totally.
the only time i saw anakin as giving was in ep1 when he was trying to help quigon. other than that he seemed to have his own agenda throughout the rest of the PT, it just so happened his agenda help others achieve their goals. onscreen i mostly saw a selfish kid. i think when lucas wrote ep1 he didn't know what he wanted to do with the story or how to start it. i do think they should have gotten someone older to play the part of anakin or just started the story with anakin being about lukes age.

Dark Exile
No, I dont thank he was a good choice. He is a perfect whiner.

Sango_Dare
Hayden was an awesome choice for Anakin Skywalker!!!!

Dark Exile
I dont think he fits with the character.

kalsemo
In my humble opinion, I thought Hayden was a great choice for Anakin, especially ep III. The only thing is there was a moment that the expression on his face was cheezy.... at the end together with Padme when he was telling her they could rule the galaxy. He had a sly smile and a "forced acting" look in his wide-opened eyes that just oozed with cheeziness.... but other than that I thought he was absolutely great throughout the rest of the movie.... I think he was also decent in EP II -- it was just the lines he was given which caused him to come across as awkward at times.

Nactous
Didnt fit Vader in my opinion.

jerlark386
Well, following the original subject question

Was Anakin the right choice for Hayden?

Its easy to blame the actor. Noone really likes to put down the GL, because hes just .. the man.

I hate to say it.. But there are some lines in the movie where its hard to say it and NOT look like a complete dumbass

Ever notice how some of the best acted scenes in the movie are the ones with no dialogue in them?

Interesting that is..

Well either way, Hayden more or less shitted on career.

JLRTENJAC

He may not have fit vader, but he did fit Anakin.

Ast Rofan

That is the problem with what most people think, they dont think he fits as Vader.

He wasnt Vader, he was Anakin, even in Sith when was called Vader he was still Anakin.

Nactous
Originally posted by JLRTENJAC
He may not have fit vader, but he did fit Anakin.

Not the Anakin that was preached about. I guess its Gl's fault.

Ast Rofan
Not the Anakin that was preached about. I guess its Gl's fault.

Preached? All we heard was that he was a good pilot and a good friend. stick out tongue

Nactous
Yes, Anakin didnt strike me as a good friend. BTW, in E3 Obi-Wan wa no longer his master, so why continue to call him Master?

DeVi| D0do
Yoda calls Qui Gon 'Master' in TPM but Qui Gon is not Yoda's master is he?

It's just what Jedi Masters call each other...

Ast Rofan
Yes, Anakin didnt strike me as a good friend. BTW, in E3 Obi-Wan wa no longer his master, so why continue to call him Master?

I actually thought ROTS did a good job of showing that they were good friends, though we could have seen more. You could see it in the last few episodes of Clone Wars.

And most jedi refer to others as Masters, especially when that Jedi is a Master. Which makes Anakin calling him by his name the last time they see eachother even more sad.

umraaan
hayden doesnt even have a six pack.

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by umraaan
hayden doesnt even have a six pack.

Nice reasoning...

1. What does that matter?

and

2. Yeah he does...

http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/2041/bscap0589lk.jpg

Stunrun
mine's biggerstick out tongue

JKozzy

Anakin: Vader suit for 5 minutes in PT
Vader: Anakin skin for 5 minutes in OT

Alright, approx., but still. See a pattern? stick out tongue

Stunrun
indeedysmile which is why i agree about the changes made at the end of ROTJ. Dont get me wrong, Sabastion WAS greatthumb up but he played his part behind the mask. However, he didnt have enough screentime to be known more popularly for the rolewink

JKozzy
He wasn't behind the mask actually -- David Prowse was behind the mask. Sebastian Shaw played Vader after the mask was removed. stick out tongue

That makes a total of 5 people playing the same role:
James Earl Jones (voice in III-VI)
David Prowse (man in OT behind the mask)
Sebastian Shaw (unmasked ROTJ Vader)
Jake Lloyd (9 year old Anakin)
Hayden Christensen (Episodes II & III Anakin/Ep3 Mech Vader Body, and now ghost of Anakin in ROTJ)

Stunrun
Originally posted by JKozzy
He wasn't behind the mask actually -- David Prowse was behind the mask. Sebastian Shaw played Vader after the mask was removed. stick out tongue

did that come out wrong? thats precisley what i meant lol smile as in what remained of Anakin after the mask was taken offstick out tongue

Ast Rofan
Excellent sig Stun, you make it?

Stunrun
unfortunately nostick out tongue i did a google search

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by Stunrun
unfortunately nostick out tongue i did a google search

Wow, stunrun must be a popular name. stick out tongue

Stunrun
i added that myselfhappy

sexyking
I loved the original, everyday day feel that the OT Anakin gave off, he was an average guy who got involved with the empire. The original Anakin was more of your everyday guy, he didnt have a six pack, and long, shiney hair.
Does anyone else think GL juiced it up to much with the whole, choosen one thing. I was so upset with the change on the ROTJ DVD that I nearly through it across the room. The original is better in my opinion, the prequel is to far-fetched.

I would be more surprised if he didnt have a six pack arnt jedis extremly active.

b-dan
yes he was geroge thought so and ian mcdiramid thought so and i think so they mentione why he was good in this months star wars insider.

ShaKoon

Chill, i could have been Leonardo di Caprio roll eyes (sarcastic)

EHmasterJedi
Hell no he wasnt the right choice wtf is wrong with you guys his CHARACTER was a complete and utter disappointment, the reason hayden was wrong for the part is basically the exact opposite reason from the the starter of this thread said, he LOOKED fine, other than that puss face and cry baby look, they didnt do enough making him act like the chosen one, he was just a f***ing pu**y the hole way through AOTC, begging to get in padimes pants, YEAH thats what the chosen one would do! LOL errr, ROTS was BETTER because atleast he already had her, but the ONLY thing lucas could of shocked us with becasue the OT was already made, was the fact that somone acting so perfect and so noble could of changed to the darkside, but lucas ruined that the first time Hayden opened his month and started acting like a freakin jerk/prick, JEZZZZZZ never could see where he was headed LOL, COMPLETEY disapointing, not sure how anyone that REALLY loved OT could really enjoy AOTC, or ROTS FULLY. bottum line lucas had the wrong character and hayden just didnt have quite the right look, lucas said he didnt want somone easily likeable like luke to play anakin, WELL WTF where is the suspense lol, IF luke had turned think of how shocked we would of been THATS what im talking about LOL

EHmasterJedi
lol im sorry guys but reading all these posts about "I couldnt imagine any other man but Hayden" and such thoughts like that kind of piss me off because it makes me think, jezz am i just caught up in this movie because of people that cant tell the difference between a good and bad movie, its threads like these that really make me think of why im a SWs fan, 2 reasons collecting and ORIGNIAL TRILOGY lol, E1 was ok because Anakin wasnt really developed enough to say anything ethier way, and if anything he was most like the real anakin should of been, alot of that had to do with the fact that he was a kid and you never could think that kid ever being Darth Vader but even he acted more like Anakin should of been than Hayden/Lucas interpretation of him in E2-3

Stunrun
Where's all of this negativity coming from EH? towards Hayden or the entire PT? lol - thats not to say that i dont respect your views, i just wanna know, because it seems that ever since ROTS came out, most people on this forum hate TPM and AOTC even moreconfused...............................................................i dont.

DiamondBullets

True that! If they replaced Shaw with Hayden, then they shoulda replaced Alec with Ewan, and the puppet Yoda with a CG young Yoda with no wrinkles or gray hair. Don't half-ass it, either all the way or not at all!

DiamondBullets
The Sidious thing in ESB is completely irrelevant.

No it aint. Just like dubbing Temuera Morrison's voice over Jeremy Bullock, the original Boba Fett. They are all unnecessary changes. And the Emperor in the first ESB looked way eerier cuz it was an old woman with super-imposed chimpanzee eyes, rather than McDarmid with make up.

They even changed Bossk's hiss, when Admiral Piett said "Bounty hunters, we don't need their scum." C'mon now, thats dumbshit, naw mean?

kr3w_killah
I'd rather much see Hayden as Anakin than Macaulay Culkin...

Lord Melkor
Anakin's character in AOTC was weak. If he was a likeable hero, we would symphatize with him more.

SW3HP4IJ4

Why is that change so bad?? Shaw was perfect for the part?? What?? You mean, perfect for standing there for about a 15 second shot?? I mean, come on. Why does it matter that they replaced him with Hayden for a shot that was at the end of the OT, and only for less than 15 seconds?? I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the OT, but I'm not that much of a loyalist to complain about a small change.

kr3w_killah
Originally posted by Lord Melkor
Anakin's character in AOTC was weak. If he was a likeable hero, we would symphatize with him more.

Agreed. In Attack of the Clones he acted like an angry pervert.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.