Obi-Wan vs Anakin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mikkosison_360
In episode 3 when obi wan showed himself to anakin on mustafar right after anakin choked padme, obi wan took off his robe. The same with anakin, he took of his robe. That means that obi wan wanted to fight anakin already, because, if you check out in star wars episode 1 for example, obi wan and qui-gon and darth maul took off their when they decided to start the fight, right? to top off that theory, taking off your jedi robe is a signal to your enemy that you want to start the fight (with the exception of fighting droids, and mace windu vs. palpatine) so i was wondering, why did obi wan have to take off his robe when he only decided to start the battle when he said "i will do what i must"? my question is a little complicated but i hope you get it. big grin

((The_Anomaly))
its hardley complicated.

well actually, i found this a kind of annoyance in this fight.

I had always expected Anakin to fully start this fight, but it appears that Obi started this fight as much as Anakin did in the movie.

it bothers me for 2 reasons

1) "Jedi are to use the force for knowledge and defence, never for attack"

2) "Obi wan once thought as you did..."

in the movie, it would apprear that Obi never thought that Anakin could be brought back to the good side. that bothers me a lot actually...

anyways, he did it cause Lucas made him do it.

bav
well actually if you watch that seen again, when anakin finds out obi wan is here, he chokes padme then starts to walk. as he walks its him who takes his robe off first. obi wan did the same as he knew anakin was goin to attack.
also in the seen when anakin says "if your not with me, then your my enemy", obi wan replies saying "only a sith deals in absolutes". then obi wan ignites his lightsaber then anakin attacks him. obi wan's options were to talk to anakin, if not he must face him. obi wan could feel it coming.

masterkit
this should be in the Verses one but what do I care

Sith Solo
I believe at that point all the emotions of hatred and anger they had directed at each other over the years as master and padawan really came to a head, Anakin had killed at least 100 jedi including padawans and younglings adding more fuel to this battle, I believe Obi tapped into his anger like in EP1 against Maul and never really thought about saving Anankin as he was beyond redeeming.

Obi wan = mad = Anakin rolling on floor laughing with no limbs = Obi wan Happy Dance

((The_Anomaly))
my point is that when vader in ROTJ says "Obi-Wan once thought as you did..."

when did Obi think this? it definitly wasent in ROTS. cause Obi pretty much was like, ohh, hes pure evil now, time to kill him.

I think it should have been like Luke and Vader in ROTJ. Obi should have refused to fight him and then Anakin attacks Obi and Obi has no other choice but to fight him.

The New History
Originally posted by mikkosison_360
In episode 3 when obi wan showed himself to anakin on mustafar right after anakin choked padme, obi wan took off his robe. The same with anakin, he took of his robe. That means that obi wan wanted to fight anakin already, because, if you check out in star wars episode 1 for example, obi wan and qui-gon and darth maul took off their when they decided to start the fight, right? to top off that theory, taking off your jedi robe is a signal to your enemy that you want to start the fight (with the exception of fighting droids, and mace windu vs. palpatine) so i was wondering, why did obi wan have to take off his robe when he only decided to start the battle when he said "i will do what i must"? my question is a little complicated but i hope you get it. big grin

I don't think taking off your robe means that you want to fight right then and their, I think it's just being ready to fight if you have to. Now when you pull out your saber that could be a clue that you are going to fight.

And obviously we know Obi Wan never wanted to fight Anakin as we see in a previous scene with Obi Wan and Yoda.

Will-one Kenobi
I think that Obi took of his cloak as a sign that Ani was either going to be killed or taken prisnor and that there was no other way Ani could pay for his crimes.

Obis mummy told him he wouldnt feel the benefeit of his cloak on a cold planet if he kept it on and Obi didnt want to get grounded!

Red Superfly
That whole bit kinda botherred me the first time I saw it and it still does.

Obi-Wan didn't even try. He just got off the ship and his whole attitude was like: "You die now."

It was almost as if Lucas completely forgot who and what Obi-Wan Kenobi was. Are Episode III Obi-Wan and Episode IV Obi-Wan the same damn person?

And, before everyone rushes to Obi-Wans defense saying "But in 20 years alone he became sensitive and kind and forgot how to be an ass". Sorry, but that's just a bad excuse for lousy direction of character.

It was as though Lucas just wanted to get the fight started by any means necessary, with the fight taking precedence over the actual story which is taking place and the characters that are in it.

Obi-Wan Kenobi would have got off the ship and would have exhausted all other peaceful avenues before even taking his robe off. His whole body language was too aggressive. But no, what George Lucas shows us is what is canon, despite the fact the character of prequel Obi-Wan Kenobi fluctuates erratically for no other reason than to make the set pieces and effects work, and he doesn't find his feet until Episode IV when Lucas was more concerned about character rather than duels.

((The_Anomaly))
yes, thats exactly what i meant. he showed no signs of "thinking like luke did"

he basically was like, "yoda said destroy the sith, so now i kill you anakin"

Vader: "Obi wan once thought as you do..."

my question is when? it definitly wasent in ROTS.

thats what I meant

muserke
Originally posted by mikkosison_360
eek! Do you have a bigger version of that pic? I've been looking for it!

jedi90
Originally posted by Red Superfly
That whole bit kinda botherred me the first time I saw it and it still does.

Obi-Wan didn't even try. He just got off the ship and his whole attitude was like: "You die now."

It was almost as if Lucas completely forgot who and what Obi-Wan Kenobi was. Are Episode III Obi-Wan and Episode IV Obi-Wan the same damn person?

And, before everyone rushes to Obi-Wans defense saying "But in 20 years alone he became sensitive and kind and forgot how to be an ass". Sorry, but that's just a bad excuse for lousy direction of character.

It was as though Lucas just wanted to get the fight started by any means necessary, with the fight taking precedence over the actual story which is taking place and the characters that are in it.

Obi-Wan Kenobi would have got off the ship and would have exhausted all other peaceful avenues before even taking his robe off. His whole body language was too aggressive. But no, what George Lucas shows us is what is canon, despite the fact the character of prequel Obi-Wan Kenobi fluctuates erratically for no other reason than to make the set pieces and effects work, and he doesn't find his feet until Episode IV when Lucas was more concerned about character rather than duels.

what the hell are u guys talking about? obi in the OT felt that vader couldn't be redeemed and told luke to just destroy him, nothin changed over 20 years. and for all u guys that are complaning about obi wan takin his robe of first and turning on his saber, i guess u guys forgot that anakin killed mace, and everyone in the jedi temple. HELLO, HE IS DANGEROUS. obi anticipated the fight with anakin after what he has done. obi wan is a warrior, warriors know these things. trust me, if my best friend just killed my only known family, yeah, he would be dead. no discussion.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by Red Superfly

That would be because that was what he was sent to do. "Destroy the Sith we must." said Yoda a few scenes back. Not to mention that Obi-Wan did not deny that he planned to kill Anakin when Padme says "You're going to kill him arent you?"

It was obvious that killing Darth Vader and Darth Sideous was the prime directive after the raid on the Jedi Temple. As it should have been.

As for the whole deal on the cloaks, I think it would have been seriously cool to see them fighting in their cloaks but that wasnt gonna happen as theyd have gotten in the way with the level of moves they were doing.

mikkosison_360
Originally posted by The New History
I don't think taking off your robe means that you want to fight right then and their, I think it's just being ready to fight if you have to. Now when you pull out your saber that could be a clue that you are going to fight.

And obviously we know Obi Wan never wanted to fight Anakin as we see in a previous scene with Obi Wan and Yoda.

Yes, that's tru. But Obi and Yoda werent fighting people with lightsabers. Look at the Phantom Menace, when Qui-Gonn and Obi-wan first fought the droids, they didn't take their robes off.

JKozzy
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
its hardley complicated.

I had always expected Anakin to fully start this fight, but it appears that Obi started this fight as much as Anakin did in the movie.

it bothers me for 2 reasons

1) "Jedi are to use the force for knowledge and defence, never for attack"

2) "Obi wan once thought as you did..."

in the movie, it would apprear that Obi never thought that Anakin could be brought back to the good side. that bothers me a lot actually...

anyways, he did it cause Lucas made him do it. Cut from the movie were lines of Obi telling Anakin to go with him, to fix what he had done. Obi still had hope for Ani, but it wasn't meant to be.

((The_Anomaly))
but it was cut, so it dosent really matter does it...?

McCusto
Yeah.

Plus Anakin took off his robe first :/

starwarsrules14
Originally posted by The New History

I must agree here.
Anakin took off his cloak first if I remeber right.

McCusto
That is what I just said....

Council#13
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
its hardley complicated.

i agree because anakin said "dont make me kill you"

General Zink
I would have added a few things to make Ben seem like he wanted Anakin to turn his back on the Sith and the Empire and so on.

Even better, I would have had Anakin make a surprise attack on Obi-Wan. Talk about having your dreams stepped on.

BEN: There's still a chance to turn your back on this, Anakin! Return to the Light, stop this madness!

ANAKIN: If you're not with me, then you're my enemy!

ANAKIN suddenly activates his lightsaber and swings at BEN, who must quick-draw his lightsaber in order to avoid being cut in half...

And then as things progress, Ben would find time to disrobe, or something. Obi-Wan was ready to go at it, which was his primary objective, but still, you think he'd be a bit more...trying to convert Anakin back. Having Anakin try to rip his face off while he's trying to sway him back to the Light Side would have been cool...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.