discussion on geoge's direction of the prequels

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

.:Space Opera:.
i was thinking about why the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy differ quite tremendously, and i realised that the direction was different in the originals. i think that it would have been a great and very smart idea to have done the same for the prequels. can you imagine how much more heart-wrenching and dramatic revenge of the sith wouldve been if george had brought back irvin kershner? The majority of star wars fanatics that i have talked to all usually agree that ESB is the most well done movie in the saga, perhaps the most well done movie of all time. the story plot for the prequels is a very complex and wonderful one and is filled with very dramatic plot lines but they could have been done alot better if they had taken the time to think through it a little more closely. imagine if the story told in the prequel trilogy started with ep.2. it would have given alot more time to show the decay of anikans soul, especially during the clone wars, giving him the chance to kill alot more.

Stunrun
Kershner is a ****ing genius! i cant even begin to think what ROTS would of been like if HE was behind the director's chairhappy

DeVi| D0do
Indeed, Kershner is a legend.

I actually think the style of direction of the prequels is quite similar to Return of the Jedi - I've always thought Jedi was much different to Empire and even Star Wars. It probably had a lot to do with the fact that he had a much bigger budget for the sequels and prequels and also the fact that the movies had become a hit blockbuster series...

Stunrun
anything the Prequels lacked was probably down to us, by making him a rich bastard lol, i mean he did SO much better when he struggled with an $ 11 million budget

DarkAge
So many people have said that about starting from Attack of the Clones, Space Opera, including me. The events of The Phantom Menace were almost inconsequencial to the rest of the series. I mean the title says it all. The Phantom Menace. A menace that doesn't quite arrive in the course of the movie, very compelling. Like you I wish the Clone Wars had been a movie instead of a cartoon. I also think Lucas got very cocky with the PT. The trilogy just doesn't have the same charm as the originals because I, II and III depend so heavily on previous movies and budget for their interest factor, which prevents them from being stand alone classics. I mean, can you imagine N Sync being in The Empire Strikes Back????

Stunrun
sick - Lets hope George's daughter doesnt edit Empire without daddy's permission sick

ShadowKing
I don't know if Kersh would have been the best choice in this era...although I agree he did masterful work in ESB (still my fave).

I know Spielberg and Ron Howard were approached by GL to direct the sequels (see the book- The Making of Revenge of the Sith), but they both talked him into doing the directing himself... doh

Not that George didn't do a better job in ROTS, but GL at his best still leaves me waiting for someone else to take charge. GL has been a great effects director and showed promise in ROTS but, could you imagine a Spielberg Phantom Menace; a James Cameron version of Attack of the Clones; a Ridley Scott version of ROTS?

Even Mel Gibson could have pulled a better emotional response out of Hayden and Natalie.

It's over...I'm happy with what's out there but damn...I keep thinking if only George had someone co-direct...

((The_Anomaly))
TPM was there to show the human, innocent Anakin that would become his exact opposite later on when he became Vader.

i hate when people say they should have started with Eps II, that would have been dumb.

honestly i dont really want to see vader killing jedi after the empire takes over, as cool as it might look. its pointless and adds nothng to the character of Anakin. the OT is where we get to see Vader do his evil. the PT is where we get to see Anakin before all of that.

TPM was nessassary to see because you look back and see that Anakin started out as a innocent little boy "he knows nothing of greed" and "he gives without any thought of reward"...

then he becomes Vader and those attribues he didnt care about as a boy are now his goals, Greed and reward, and power.

TPM is and was nessassary.

Lucas's direction was quite good with the PT.

Smegulated
i posted this in another thread but its relivant
'i love all the new episodes, the problem for most fans is that they wanted episodes 1 and 2 to have more meaning in the grand scheme of star wars. what they got was in epi 1 was a introductory fun adventure like a epi 4. not that much of it was that important.

also most fans favourite film was empire strikes back. after waiting 30 years they expect every new episode to be as reveling, exciting and dark as the empire strikes back. its also the HUGE anticipation that if let down destroys the film.

most people wanted episode 1 to be bad anikin turn to darth vader or at least him being some intense jedi.
i actually prefere it the way it is, as its a much darker story''

one of the main differences is that the prequels are more classical and operatic rather than the more industrial mitilary origanl trillogy. Its like obi wan says its a more 'cilvialised age' so the acting and diologe is more formal. its less han solo 'yeehaa' and more 'yes master', and romance is more operatic.

hopfully you understand the points im trying to make its quite hard to get across.

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
TPM was there to show the human, innocent Anakin that would become his exact opposite later on when he became Vader.

i hate when people say they should have started with Eps II, that would have been dumb.

honestly i dont really want to see vader killing jedi after the empire takes over, as cool as it might look. its pointless and adds nothng to the character of Anakin. the OT is where we get to see Vader do his evil. the PT is where we get to see Anakin before all of that.

TPM was nessassary to see because you look back and see that Anakin started out as a innocent little boy "he knows nothing of greed" and "he gives without any thought of reward"...

then he becomes Vader and those attribues he didnt care about as a boy are now his goals, Greed and reward, and power.

Lucas's direction was quite good with the PT.

yes

DarkAge
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
honestly i dont really want to see vader killing jedi after the empire takes over, as cool as it might look. its pointless and adds nothng to the character of Anakin. the OT is where we get to see Vader do his evil.

You know it's weird but I remember Lucas specifically saying before Sith came out that "I know people want this movie to be Darth Vader killing people, but that's not the way I'm going to do it." and that's exactly what he did do!

((The_Anomaly))
which is my point, as cool as it would be, in actuality it would just be eye candy and he would just be catering to the fanboys. and i dont care about that.

the PT is about anakins fall to the darkside, not vader killing random jedi.

"honestly i dont really want to see vader killing jedi after the empire takes over, as cool as it might look. its pointless and adds nothng to the character of Anakin. the OT is where we get to see Vader do his evil. the PT is where we get to see Anakin before all of that.

Lucas's direction was quite good with the PT."

well i never said that i wanted to see another vader movie. what i was saying is that it shouldve started with ep 2 then one more during the clone wars then the ending current ep. 3 and he still could have shown that anakin was an innocent character in his later years because honestly most boys at the age of ten are pretty innocent, but it wouldve meant alot more to see that he still achieved that innocence at an older age, thats alot more rare than seeing an innocent ten year old boy.

((The_Anomaly))
no that would not work. Anakin during the clone wars is NOT innocent, hes already had 10 years of Jedi training and is already becoming arrogent. He needed to show Anakin before all that. hence why TPM was completly nessassary.

Anakin knew he was the chosen one, he knew he was better then all of his peers (and a lot of his masters too) he knew it and it led to arrogence.

having a 19 year old innocent anakin woudlent make any sense at all.

anakin would have begun becoming arrogent as soon as he started to notice the difference between him and everyone else. and that would have been long before the clone wars.

OB1-adobe
well somebody please tell me if any of you have seen any of kerch's other movies, and your opinions.

Its over, move on....

"no that would not work. Anakin during the clone wars is NOT innocent, hes already had 10 years of Jedi training and is already becoming arrogent. He needed to show Anakin before all that. hence why TPM was completly nessassary."

i think that GL took the easy way out and said..."umm we'll show him as a little boy."
there are so many other ways of showing that somebody does have a good heart, which is what really led him back to the good side mind you, then just showing him as a dumb little boy. and on a side note i think that qui-gon was the worst mistake in the entire SW saga which is also why i hated ep. 1

OB1-adobe
Dude, why don't you go make a movie. Write it and direct it. Then everyone here can tell you how much your movie sucks and should have been that way.

shockimebones
Originally posted by .messedpace Opera:.
"no that would not work. Anakin during the clone wars is NOT innocent, hes already had 10 years of Jedi training and is already becoming arrogent. He needed to show Anakin before all that. hence why TPM was completly nessassary."

i think that GL took the easy way out and said..."umm we'll show him as a little boy."
there are so many other ways of showing that somebody does have a good heart, which is what really led him back to the good side mind you, then just showing him as a dumb little boy. and on a side note i think that qui-gon was the worst mistake in the entire SW saga which is also why i hated ep. 1

sad Qui-gon was the one thing that made Episode 1 great for me. He was a great character.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.