Who is Darth Plagueis, Really?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Padawan
Forgive me if there is a thread somewhere about this in the past. Does anyone really know who Plagueis is, where he was from and any other details regarding him, other than the slight mention of him by Palps in ROTS?

Darth243
i dont think his origins are known by anyone so far.He is mentioned in a few novels. Many ppl speculate he had a hand in creating anakin since he had no father, but i dont think thats true at all.Another theory is that Darth Plagueis the Wise created Palpatine as a "perfect" apprentice. But who knows

Padawan
Well, I'd say one thing for sure, he didn't create Anakin. laughing out loud Of course that is my opinion. big grin

Darth243
I agree, i'm with the "he created palpatine" theory, it makes better sense to me.GL even said anakin was created by the pure force, so that leaves only Sidious

Padawan
Yea, that would be ok about Palps, I guess. What does the official site say about Palps' race? I can't get over there just now.

Darth243
palps is a human as far as im concnerned.

((The_Anomaly))
he is a dark lord of the sith, the master before palpatine. then palpatine killed him and became the master, the rest is SW history.

he did not create palpatine, thats just dumb. he says "he could stop people from dying" not create people from nothing.

i dont think Plaugies is that amazing, more of a sith alchemist or scholar rather then a powerful sith like palpatine.

Lil Krueger
Plagueis is also known as "The Wise". He can create life or stop death the force.

((The_Anomaly))
Palpatine could also have just been lying.

bobcrickett
Palpatine claimed that Plagueis could stop death and taught his apprentice everything he knew...but Palpatine does not stop death in the movies, just in EU, and it's just his own death...but no one cares about that. stick out tongue

Darth Plagueis was the Dark Lord of the Sith before Palpatine, or so we all assume from the look of pure malicious glee on Palpy's face when he mentions that Plagueis' apprentice killed him. That's all we know of him.

Padawan
Yep, I just checked, although I really knew this before, only that I wanted documentation.

According to Databank, these are his stats:

Homeworld:
Naboo

Species:
Human

Height:
1.73 meters

Weapon:
Dark side lightning

Vehicle:
Imperial shuttle

Affiliation:
Galactic Senate, Galactic Republic, Empire, Sith

Originally posted by Darth243
palps is a human as far as im concnerned.

Captain REX
Hasn't really changed since Episode I's release... stick out tongue

Padawan
Yes, I knew he is *supposed* to be a dark lord of the Sith, however, Palps is the only person who has mentioned him so it's possible that Palps made him up in the first place. Possible..... not likely but possible.

It was Palps who said Plaugies could stop people from dying, however. And I don't believe Papls at all because he later tells Anakan "together, perhaps we will find the way." meaning the way to stop someone from dying or stop death.

He LIED to get Anakin too join him.

Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
he is a dark lord of the sith, the master before palpatine. then palpatine killed him and became the master, the rest is SW history.

he did not create palpatine, thats just dumb. he says "he could stop people from dying" not create people from nothing.

i dont think Plaugies is that amazing, more of a sith alchemist or scholar rather then a powerful sith like palpatine.

Padawan
Since when was Plaugies in Episode I? rolling on floor laughing stick out tongue

Originally posted by Captain REX
Hasn't really changed since Episode I's release... stick out tongue

bobcrickett
Plagueis isn't in the Star Wars databank. confused

Captain REX
I meant what you dug up on Palps... stick out tongue

Plagueis, I'm sure, was a Dark Lord of the Sith; that look on Palps's face of pure glee upon mentioning his apprentice murdering him implies to me that he was Palpatine's master.

However, the whole 'taught his apprentice everything' bit...I don't believe that. Plagueis might have known how to do it, but Palpatine thought he probably learned everything there was to know, or he was not taught anything.

Padawan
He wasn't in there! stick out tongue

Originally posted by bobcrickett
Plagueis isn't in the Star Wars databank. confused

Padawan
stick out tongue OK, having said that, I know the look on Palps face gave him away if you ask me. He was so proud of what he'd done to Plagueis, IF in fact he really did it. Maybe he just fantasized about it? laughing out loud OK, that's going too far.

We'll never know if the ability to keep someone from dying actually existed because Palps lied about the whole thing in the first place.

I meant what you dug up on Palps... stick out tongue

Plagueis, I'm sure, was a Dark Lord of the Sith; that look on Palps's face of pure glee upon mentioning his apprentice murdering him implies to me that he was Palpatine's master.

However, the whole 'taught his apprentice everything' bit...I don't believe that. Plagueis might have known how to do it, but Palpatine thought he probably learned everything there was to know, or he was not taught anything.

bobcrickett
I think it'd be silly to lie about it. I'm sure he was telling a truthful tale, just not for good purposes...

MedullaPancreas
Dath Plagueis is a guy who would get his ass kicked by Mace Windu.

Captain REX
Or Palpatine.

jabbar
mace would open up a can of woop-ass on any sith. just make sure anakin is not around while he's doing it wink

Padawan
Lie about what? That Palps knew how to stop someone from dying? If that's what you mean, then why did he later change his story and tell Anakin "perhaps together, we can find the way" ? Or something very similar. I will have to go back to the movie or SW.com for the exact quote.

Originally posted by bobcrickett
I think it'd be silly to lie about it. I'm sure he was telling a truthful tale, just not for good purposes...

b-dan
i think gerorge wants to keep him a mysterie he always does that.

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by jabbar
mace would open up a can of woop-ass on any sith. just make sure anakin is not around while he's doing it wink

errr.....no not quite there buddy.

Palpatine let Mace win and Vader would anal Windu

Ogami Itto
i'm not sure if he was sidious's master!!!
didn't palps say that the story was a old legend???it's never stated in the film that the emperor is ancient!

((The_Anomaly))
yea, i think he just "said" it was a legend.

judging by the look of extreme pleasedness about himself as he says "and then his apprentice killed him in his sleep" with his smirk, it was definitly palps that killed him.

kr3w_killah
"Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith. So powerful and so wise that he could use the force to influence the midi-chlorians to create, life. He had such a knowledge of the Dark Side he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying." - Chancellor Palpatine

chinabing
In the novelization, Palpatine said Plaguies was his master and that Palps killed him after he told him about stopping people from dying. In the novel that was the 'aha' moment when Skywalker knew Palpatine was a sith lord.

A little different than in the movie, an interesting choice by Lucas. Now we've got the 'book' or 'movie' being canon argument! But always, the movie rules.

DiamondBullets
errr.....no not quite there buddy.

Palpatine let Mace win and Vader would anal Windu

That's the whole point!!!! Palpatine LET him win cuz he knew little Ani was coming and would do his damndest to prevent the Chancellor's death, on top of all that, Palp knew that Mace and Anakin had never liked eachother since he was a kid. When Palpatine telepathed Skywalker saying: " You DO know that if the Jedi kill me, all hope of saving Padme is lost."---that was the spark that made Anikin leave the Temple and league-up with the Supreme Chancellor.

And I don't think Lord Vader would anal Windu as an akward cyborg. IF Vader won, it would be by a very close margin.

star man
darth paleguis is anikins godfather cool = it runs in anikins blood

star man
Originally posted by Padawan
Forgive me if there is a thread somewhere about this in the past. Does anyone really know who Plagueis is, where he was from and any other details regarding him, other than the slight mention of him by Palps in ROTS?

Padawan
Eh? You meant to say something? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Originally posted by star man

LordAndeddu
Darth Plagueis was a Sith Lord who, according to legend, had discovered a way to manipulate midi-chlorians to prevent death and create life. However, his apprentice, Darth Sidious, betrayed Plagueis (a common practice among the Sith) and killed him in his sleep, thus becoming the Sith Master himself; it remains unclear when this happened, as some believe Sidious spent some time practicing Sith arts on his own, but some believe he immediately found an apprentice of his own (Darth Maul).

It was Darth Sidious who later told the legend of Darth Plagueis referred to as The Tragedy of Plagueis the Wise to young Jedi Anakin Skywalker in order to help the Jedi apprentice turn to the Dark Side. Whether or not Plagueis ever truly learned the secret to creating and indefinitely sustaining life is unclear. Sidious may have been lying to appeal to Anakin Skywalker's sensibilities: Sidious later admits that, though he is the apprentice from the Plagueis tale, he does not actually know the secret. It is possible that Plagueis knew this power, but did not actually share it with his apprentice, but it is unlikely that Sidious, who is known for his slow, methodical ways, would be so quick to kill his master before learning this technique if he knew for sure that his master had acquired the ability.

According to the dead spirit of Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, who spoke to MasterYoda through the Force, the true secret to immortality in the Force was not physical, but spiritual. This does not rule out the possibility that Plagueis had learned a technique to stop death, but whatever the Sith Lord learned, it was not ultimate immortality, which according to Qui-Gon could only be achieved through "compassion, not greed."

Although it is never stated in the movie that Sidious was Plagueis' apprentice, it is included in the novelization of Revenge of the Sith and implied in the film. Palpatine says in the novel that "Darth Plagueis was my master...before I killed him." However, this line was never in the shooting script for the film, and is found purely in the novel.

Palpatine's explanation to Anakin of Plagueis was as follows:

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise? No? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create life.... He had such a knowledge of the dark side he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying.
<p> He became so powerful the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's ironic. He could save others from death, but not himself. </blockquote> When asked of what happened to the apprentice, Sidious/Palpatine in the novel replies Oh, he went on to become the greatest Sith Lord the galaxy has ever known.

Possible Connection to Anakin Skywalker:
The revelation of Plagueis's abilities has launched debate among fans, some of whom speculate that the Sith may have had a hand in the creation of Anakin Skywalker, though this is never explicitly stated in the movies. Indeed, George Lucas has also consistently stated that Anakin was created by "the Force itself." Whether Anakin was created by the Force's will to fulfill an ancient prophecy and destroy the Sith, or because of Plagueis' evil intentions, casts the Star Wars saga in different light, philosophically - although the mythological motif of the mysterious virgin birth technically still exists in both circumstances, since neither involves human contact or a natural father. Plagueis may have died around the time of Anakin's birth, and there are persistent speculations that there may have been a connection. Recently, in a Rolling Stone interview (RS 975), Lucas indicated that the issue was left deliberately mysterious in the Star Wars prequels, and that it's up to the audience to decide for themselves how Anakin was created - other Lucasfilm sources have confirmed that for now, the issue intentionally remains a mystery. Some believe Darth Sidious himself used the teachings taught to him by Plagueis to create Anakin, or even that Palpatine/Sidious may simply be Anakin's biological father (despite Shmi's claim that there was no father). However, Palpatine appears to take no interest in Anakin until after the Battle of Naboo, despite meeting him first on Coruscant. The official Star Wars website reveals that creating life and preventing death arise from the same ability, and since Palpatine admits to Anakin that he cannot prevent death, it seems highly unlikely that he can create life, and therefore could not have created Anakin. However, the complete truth remains a mystery.

Double Life: A Dark Lord and A King:
Not much is know of Plagueis' life. Like all "Darths," his birthname was not actually his Sith title of Darth Plagueis. Evidence gives some reason to believe he may in fact have been King Veruna, leader of the planet Naboo, shortly before Queen Amidala's reign and the events of Episode I: The Phantom Menace. It is said that Veruna quietly resigned as king of Naboo and his mysterious death abruptly afterwards may have been his apprentice Sidious murdering him if indeed Veruna and Plagueis were one and the same. It is not ever mentioned, however that Veruna was a tyrant of a leader, although there is evidence that shows Plagueis may have been one of the "calmest and most good-natured" of the dark Sith if that is even possible.

Another reason to suggest Plageuis was king of Naboo or at least an inhabitant of Naboo was because it is a known fact that Sidious was also a native of Naboo and thus the two could have first met each other on their homeworld.

However, it is most likely that Plagueis was not Veruna. The timeline shows Darth Sidious beginning Darth Maul's training in 52 BBY. Veruna did not die until 32 BBY, some 20 years after Darth Maul's training began. That would mean that there were three Sith Lords in existence at once, and since there can only be a Master and an Apprentice, it is unlikely that King Veruna was in fact Darth Plagueis.

Other Info:
In Joseph Campbell's book The Hero with a Thousand Faces there is an entire chapter on virgin birth as an aspect of heroic mythology. Since Campbell considered Lucas "one of his best students" and Lucas himself has often acknowledged the importance of Campbell as one of many inspirations for Star Wars it's hardly a coincidence. In the book the virgin birth is a means of separating the heroic figure from the rest of humanity, marking them as special and isolated from the moment of conception.

In Revenge of the Sith, Darth Sidious reveals that the reason Plagueis taught his apprentice was because he was afraid of losing his power. Interestingly, since Plagueis had to spend much time in meditation and self-examination, it is thought by some that he may have been something of a pacifist (or at least, as close to one as a Sith Lord could ever be), or that his power of averting death took a great deal of his strength.

Plagueis is also mentioned in the novel Labyrinth of Evil.

More Plagueis information is rumored to be in the new live action Star Wars show coming out in 2006.

Darth Plagueis' Sith master was Darth Andeddu.

palpy_666
Andeddu, please don't do that. Please don't copy and paste large ass stories. We don't care nor do we wish to read all of that.

Thanks,
The Sith who will kick your ass if you copy and paste big shyt again

ArthasKnight
IMO, Darth Plagueis was a story made up by Palpatine that appealed to Anakin's desire to save Padme's life. Anakin's hope of Palpatine being the only one who can teach him to save Padme secured Anakin's need to keep Palpatine alive. All Palpatine was doing was making sure Anakin didn't turn on him since he knew he'd want Palpatine alive to teach him Plagueis' secret.

Tangible God
Originally posted by ArthasKnight
IMO, Darth Plagueis was a story made up by Palpatine that appealed to Anakin's desire to save Padme's life. Anakin's hope of Palpatine being the only one who can teach him to save Padme secured Anakin's need to keep Palpatine alive. All Palpatine was doing was making sure Anakin didn't turn on him since he knew he'd want Palpatine alive to teach him Plagueis' secret. That's exactly what I felt.

GCG
Palpatine could also have just been lying.

My thoughts as well. He could have lied just to influence Anakin.

Captain REX
I found out that Palpatine was training Maul before Plagueis' death in the Essential Chronology book...the new one, I mean.

GCG
Oh yes ; the book might reveal more !

ANy more info Mr. King ?

henniestevens
and when was plagueis' dead?

Padawan
palpy_666, you may not like the long post but some of us just might.
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Lightning_Count
Platapus or whatever his name is, was palpatine's master.....he knew this secret of avoiding coffins and taught palpatine before he got analed in his sleep, or palpatine made it up cuz he knew thats the kinda shit anakin was into hearing.

either way, palpatine got owned by mace!!

Darth Subjekt
i think that Plagueis was really Palps master, just by the looks he had on his face when he was talking about him, but he did lie about Plagueis teaching him to cheat death...cause remeber he DID say, "to cheat death is a power only one has acheived...." and then he says what other people have been saying in here...' but i know if we work together, we can discover, blah blah blah" SO he told anakin that to turn him...which i dont know why Anakin/Vader didnt just cut his ***** ass down after Padme died.

starwarsrules14
Originally posted by palpy_666
Andeddu, please don't do that. Please don't copy and paste large ass stories. We don't care nor do we wish to read all of that.

Thanks,
The Sith who will kick your ass if you copy and paste big shyt again

What the f**k? I was rather interested, and probably many other people are. Thanks we all learned something today wink

Captain REX
Darth Andeddu did not train Darth Plagueis, btw. Andeddu appeared from an ancient holocron, and seemed to be dressed in battle armor from the days of Exar Kun. Of course, then Dooku trashed the holocron and gave Quinlan Vos the lightsaber crystal of the presumably long dead Sith Lord.

At any rate, Plagueis was still alive at some point between 60 BBY and 40 BBY, seeing as Maul was born 54 BBY, and Palpatine trained him behind Plagueis' back when Maul was still a young boy. 32 BBY was TPM...

But yes, the more reliable sources are beginning to point to Plagueis as being the Master to Sidious.

starwarsrules14
It is stated in the book that he was Sidious' master and I will stick to that, although that has already been discussed.

Originally posted by LordAndeddu
Evidence gives some reason to believe he may in fact have been King Veruna, leader of the planet Naboo, shortly before Queen Amidala's reign and the events of Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

As for this theory, I think it is a bunch of *cough*. I know it is just another book, but it is stated in one of the journals that King Veruna was beat fair and square by Amidala and afterwards went to work in the wastelands of Naboo, where he remained for mainy years after the election.

Jedi Priestess
But yes, the more reliable sources are beginning to point to Plagueis as being the Master to Sidious.

and thats all that really matters cause the rest of it is EU. smile

Captain REX
I read that Veruna vanished, but that's just me. blink

They probably won't elaborate too much on Palpatine's background, like they haven't with Yoda, but it would be interesting.

Darth Jello
2 things wrong here:
1.Andeddu is EU
2. Wasn't Andeddu a contemporary of Xendor (the jedi who created the schism that lead to the founding of the sith)?

starwarsrules14
I read that Veruna vanished, but that's just me. blink

They probably won't elaborate too much on Palpatine's background, like they haven't with Yoda, but it would be interesting.

"Once upon a tme king Veruna thought that, too. Now he's farming rocks in the Naboo wastelands." I dunno it is just another book.

Bicnarok
this thread is going in circles. Aghh

MC_GG
So far all we know is that Plagueis existed a long time ago. If you listen to the commentary on Episode III DVD, maybe you might get some info as to the origins of Plagueis. Im not sure thought but based on what i heard Plagueis did create Anakin. In TPM Shmi said that he has no father. That supports the fact that Plagueis did in fact create Anakin. But what the hell its still a mystery and it always will be.

exanda kane
It doesnt neccesarily mean Plaguies though. It could simply be The Force, as its made out to be, and it makes Anakin a more likely candidate for the Chosen One, which was the only point of TPM.

Procurator
We should believe only to what Lucas is saying and he says that Plagueis is the master of Sidius and yes he could safe people from death and create life.

Also some people believe that Sidius used what he have learned from Plagueis to keep Vader alive.

I wont be surprised if Plagueis created Anakin by the force so later Anakin would destroy Sidius as it happens, maybe Plagueis predicted everything or who knows.

But imo if you seen the movie and the part where Palpatine tells the legend to Anakin and when he says "He could influence the midi chlorians, to create life'' the way how he looks Anakin by saying this leades me to that he means something about Anakin's creation wink

p.s. Plagueis is a muun
>> http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Plagueis

Sith Master X
HELLO THREAD FROM 6 YEARS AGO! smile

Procurator
Ha! I didn't noticed :P

queeq
Ancient...

General G
There was no need for this fossil to be brought back...

queeq
Quite.

General G
Get rid of it.

queeq
No real reason for it.

General G
Then let's let this fossil die again.

queeq
Sure.

Mookie1874
Really? I think most of you are missing the point:

1) Sidious knows what is ailing skywalker ( future seeing the death of Padme ) and is just using the story to recruit him, there is no darth plaggy, it's way too convenient of a story and is basically why he ultimately joins the dark side

2) I think sids is actually referring to Anakin when he says he could save others from death, but not himself, because the sith are the only ones who know the Jedi's weaknesses: his thoughts betray him n sids is a master sith reading Anakin's thoughts concerning losing padme and wanting to be all powerful, knowing fully he is the prime candidate to join the sith - he is just not able to fully recruit him without some bs story to use as leverage

queeq
So what is new about your elaboration?

Mookie1874
(auto quote)[/quickquote
Where has this been stated previously in this thread? There is no Darth Plags man!!! It's bs!!! Lol everything is about Anakin being manipulated, but seems everybody missed the point, just listen to how it is totally tailor made to seem to be the solution to his problems, not to mention why would palps even mention anything about the sith to him, he's not a Jedi that Anakin is aware of, so what would be the point in even telling him this tale?

Mookie1874
Originally posted by Mookie1874
(auto quote)
Sorry I mean just to maybe shed some light? Lol it seems at the time many people r confused? Didn't realize how old this thread dated back too!! Lol wow I bet a lot of people prolly figured this out?! Lol a little hint too is that sids tells grievous he has a younger more powerful apprentice way before he even accepts just shows he already knew ani was his

Mookie1874
Originally posted by Mookie1874
(auto quote)
Sorry I mean just to maybe shed some light? Lol it seems at the time many people r confused? Didn't realize how old this thread dated back too!! Lol wow I bet a lot of people prolly figured this out?! Lol a little hint too is that sids tells grievous he has a younger more powerful apprentice way before he even accepts just shows he already knew ani was his

Just look what sids did with the dis/trade federation lol he is a master manipulator

Done lol outta breath

queeq
Besides, palpy mixes truths with half truths and lies. I'm sure Darth Plagueis was at least a true legend.

Darth Luminous
But it was here that they would one day work together the way Sidious and Plagueis had to coax from the dark side its final secrets. In the intervening years he had actually come to appreciate Plagueis for the planner and prophet he had been. Such perilous machinations required two Sith, one to serve as bait for the dark side, the other to be the vessel. Success would grant them the power to harness the full powers of the dark side, and allow them to rule for ten thousand years. - Tarkin, p101

queeq
EU...

NewLanceWindu
Originally posted by queeq
EU...

Except it's in the new EU, which is official canon.

carthage
He as a character is canon, but his book Darth Plagueis by James Luceno is Legends

That excerpt from Tarkin is canon though

NewLanceWindu
Originally posted by carthage
That excerpt from Tarkin is canon though

That's the only passage I was talking about since it's the one queeq had responded to.

queeq
Suggests they did know each other... hmmm...

Darth Luminous

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.