so I decided to try and make a lightsabre....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

spekdah
I've seen other people on this site making lightsabers and they look pretty cool, I dont like the toy ones u see in the shops, they are either too short or just plain look like sh*t in my opinion.
So I thought I'd have a go.
The first thing I decided to do was start with the hardest part of the weapon to make first, the blade. I didnt want a dumb torch/hilt setup , I knew that to achieve that full total light effect I would need to go either neon or fluro ( or are they the same thing? i dunno) .
So I scanned the net and found a local person selling a couple of fluro lights that were 1.5m long, perfect.

So I got the two fluro lights ( Green and Blue) and preceeded to make up a shitty mockup hilt.
I decided to start with green, I cut the power cord ( you plugged them into the wall) and found ( using a car battery) that 12volts powered them direct with ease so now it was a case of finding a smaller 12volt battery.
I ended up ripping apart 2 12volt rechargable torches and got the batteries out of them and wired them inline to the fluro terminals via a simple switch( for now). I intend to wire in a plug so I can use the old battery rechager bases to rechrage the sabers batteries.
Basically now I have this much setup I can now visualize what the hilt will look like as much of its design will be determined by how much on-board crap its gonna need to run.

Here are the pics thus far, yes I know the hilt looks like shite but like I said I reckon its best to start with the hardest part ( the blade) first and on this part I think the results speak for themselves.

cheers

spekdah
crap hilt with blade installed, two battery cells wrapped for protection.
The balance is suprisingly good

spekdah
with it switched on. It is DAMN bright, this pic was taken with my garage 500w halogens on and the camera flash

spekdah
this is with the two halogens off and just the normal garage light and camera flash

spekdah
In my hand, like i said its suprisingly well balanced and hell light!!

spekdah
a few random shots outside in the dark.

spekdah

spekdah
I'm designing the hilt now, it will be made of polished alloy,rubber and any other junk lying around I might need . I will also add extra detail like a red LED on the hilt for effect ( maybe ON switch)

Once I have the hilt complete I'll post pics.

Cheers

Lord-Nihilus
...well, at least its not a fake lightsaber that landon "made", it looks good when its on, but does it always make that glow? could u get some shots of you holding it in the air, so that i know it looks good.

darthrevan89
It looks pretty cool great job dude.

Lord-Nihilus
You ever seen them ones from the shops, jesus christ, its like your waving a giant lollypop around, it doesnt spread fear at all, but, a red one of spekdah's would be awesome...

Count Dooku
Originally posted by spekdah
I'm designing the hilt now, it will be made of polished alloy,rubber and any other junk lying around I might need . I will also add extra detail like a red LED on the hilt for effect ( maybe ON switch)

Once I have the hilt complete I'll post pics.

Cheers

That's very well done.

Captain REX
Good job! Though, the hilt could look better. stick out tongue

Hell, what am I saying, I haven't made one.

spekdah
well I have begun building the handle, I've ended up using a vacume cleaner handle and polished alloy piping.

I have wired an LED to a swith which I will now install.

I have been thinking about sound effects , I've brought one of those toy lightsabers with soundeffects like power up , clash etc... and I'l gonna swap over the sound gear to my handle, the motion sensors should work the same if installed correctly

spekdah
together,

spekdah
oh yeah, My mate brought the same model blade ( in Blue) so I'm gonna start building his handle soon. I have a Red neon on the way!!

spekdah
sorry bout te dark shots

jaden101
looks cool when its on...well done... thumb up

here is a load of different shaped 12 volt batteries if you need one to fit inside the hilt...

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=269

Darth_Rankkor
Are you taking orders? Hehehe

Darth_Janus
That is pimp! Makes me want to be creative... outside of snide comments, that is. Nice work!

Imagawa666
Cool sabers.

Zachara
Lmao, Janus.

And hell, that's a crazy saber!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.