Who would lead a better army. Govoner Tarkin or Count Dooku

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North

Darth_Janus
Tarkin. He was a governor and official on his homeworld of Eriadu, and was a martial man.

Dooku was a Jedi, and a good one, but no real general. Hence the need for Assajj and Grievious.

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by Darth_Janus
Tarkin. He was a governor and official on his homeworld of Eriadu, and was a martial man.

Dooku was a Jedi, and a good one, but no real general. Hence the need for Assajj and Grievious.

I don't agree. Dooku was better. He, like every other general, needs to have lower ranks

Tarkin had lower rank officers to aid.

I choose Dooku. Great man, great jedi, great sith.

http://www.cswu.cz/characters/img/char/dooku_4.jpg

ESB-1138
Replace Dooku with General Grievous.

FistOfThe North

But Dooku was the Leader of the Droid Army but lost.

But then again Tarkin did lose to the Rebellion.

And both had Grand armies.

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by ESB-1138
Replace Dooku with General Grievous.

You are tired of life aren't you? evil face

Darth_Janus
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
But Dooku was the Leader of the Droid Army but lost.

But then again Tarkin did lose to the Rebellion.

And both had Grand armies.

Don't think like that. IT never solves anything.

Now, Dooku was a leader, but a political one. If he wasn't (And I could very well be wrong on this) name or specify any time he has created and implemented battle field strategy.

Now tell me that (assuming you can find anything) said battle strategy was comparable with one of the five Grand Moffs of the Imperial military.

ESB-1138
Originally posted by Darth_Rankkor
You are tired of life aren't you? evil face
Facts:
Dooku= Never led his army into battle
Grievous= Led his army into many battles and won most of them even when the odds were against him.

Grievous has been trained his entire life to lead an army into battle. Why do you think the CIS wanted him?

Darth_Rankkor
Facts:
Dooku= Never led his army into battle
Grievous= Led his army into many battles and won most of them even when the odds were against him.

Grievous has been trained his entire life to lead an army into battle. Why do you think the CIS wanted him?

The cis wanted Dooku if you remember well. They even almost freaked out when the news of dooku being killed was given by sidious and then when GG tells them that he is in charge, that freakin nemodian makes a sarcastic remark about GG capabilities

Darth Faunus
Dooku started the CIS.

ESB-1138
True but Dooku was only following Sidious's orders. They asked Grievous to join the CIS and refused then they destroyed his ship with him in it and blamed the Republic so he would join them. Gunray freaks out about everything.

Darth_Rankkor
True but Dooku was only following Sidious's orders. They asked Grievous to join the CIS and refused then they destroyed his ship with him in it and blamed the Republic so he would join them. Gunray freaks out about everything.

It doesn't matter. In that case GG was following Dooku's orders. What matters is the capability of doing so. Or you think Sidious would give that task to an a*se?

ESB-1138
Grievous won battles and was a brillant military leader.
Tarkin was also a brillant military leader. Dooku wasn't.

Count Dooku
Grievous won battles and was a brillant military leader.
Tarkin was also a brillant military leader. Dooku wasn't.

If it weren't for Dooku, Grievous would cease to be alive or he would cease to be as deadly as he was.

Sev'rance Tann, Asajj Ventress and General Grievous (Not to mention an identical clone of himself) were his apprentices and the Commanders of his grand army.

Dooku cornered the Jedi in the Geonosis area and killed many MANY Jedi with his army and he also had one of the greatest Bounty Hunters around doing his bidding. He also made alot of independent achievements as a leader. He sliced the chosen ones arm off, nearly killed one of the greatest Jedi Masters around TWICE and he has skills par to Yoda, as seen on AOTC.

If Grievous was so brilliant, why was his accomplishments or movements short lived by him either running away from them or just flat-out having them ruined?

ESB-1138
Why? Grievous was told by Dooku to flee from battle and Dooku was his master. This is Who would lead a better army not who killed who or who sliced off who's arm. Dooku is a Jedi and is a Politician who had Grievous lead the Droid Army into battle. Grievous is a much better General then Dooku ever was.

Count Dooku
Why? Grievous was told by Dooku to flee from battle and Dooku was his master. This is Who would lead a better army not who killed who or who sliced off who's arm. Dooku is a Jedi and is a Politician who had Grievous lead the Droid Army into battle. Grievous is a much better General then Dooku ever was.

In order to be a Good General, it requires surviving long enough to actually have some decent commanding.

Dooku led the army into battle as well! I don't know were you get the idea Dooku didn't!

Dooku left several people in charge (Sev'rance Tann, Asajj, Grievous) because he had more important things to deal with, including being a Sith Lord/Politician/Army leader all at the same time.

Like i said before, Grievous would be dead if not for Dooku.

And Dooku's accomplishments would be having someone as powerful as Grievous leading his armies.

ESB-1138
In order to be a Good General, it requires surviving long enough to actually have some decent commanding.
Grievous was a military leader before joining the CIS. and he was around since the first battle of the Clone War.

Darth_Rankkor
I see you're recovering well count. That's good. Now to the point .... ESB-1138 just zip it. You clearly don't know what are you talking about. Dooku was a great militar leader and that's that

Once again, Dooku was a great man and a great leader

http://www.cswu.cz/characters/img/char/dooku_4.jpg

ESB-1138
Before rebuilt as a cyborg warrior, General Grievous was one of the greatest military masterminds the Kaleesh people had seen. From the harsh world of Kalee, the Kaleesh had conquered the land and seas of their planet, and displayed pride in their superiority by wearing masks cobbled from the bones of their most feared animals, the mumuu and the karabbac. Warrior families would hand down these bone masks from generation to generation, adorning it with fresh blood prior to every hunt or campaign.
Grievous wore such a mask in his battle against the hated Huks, a neighboring species. He weathered countless close calls as he unleashed destruction on Kalee's enemies. He would return home to his wives and offspring, bloodied but emboldened, ready for battle again. After the war ended, Grievous had difficulties adjusting to life without conflict.

Grievous' war record had attracted the attention of San Hill, Chairman of the InterGalactic Banking Clan. His contacts within Count Dooku's growing Separatist movement had caught the scent of profound galactic change in the air, and Hill began looking for leverage and advantage in the inevitable civil war that was brewing. He saw in Grievous a valuable asset. In exchange for supporting Kalee's staggering debts incurred in the planet's war with the Huks, the Banking Clan bought Grievous' eternal services as an intimidator and warrior.

It was this strong warrior spirit that transformed into profound anger, embarrassment and outrage that he should be crippled by so mundane a fate. General Grievous -- decorated champion of the Kaleesh, vanquisher of so many Huk warlords, grinder of the enemy's bones -- was fatally injured in a shuttle crash.

With his ally Poggle the Lesser, San Hill had targeted Grievous' shuttle for sabotage resulting in a terrible accident. Suspended in bacta, Grievous' shattered form was kept alive. He had not met an ignoble end; he was not cheated of a warrior's death. The technological wizards of the Banking Clan and the Geonosian foundries rebuilt him. They then presented their cyborg killer to Count Dooku as a gift.

ESB-1138
Dooku was at first taken aback by so bizarre an underling. But he and Darth Sidious saw potential. Dooku began training Grievous in the ways of the lightsaber. He was dismayed that the subtleties and finesse of lightsaber combat had been discarded in favor of brutal, multi-weapon attacks, but so go the changes of war. At his hidden base aboard the Trenchant space station, Dooku pit his minions Asajj Ventress and Durge up against Grievous to determine who would be the commander of the Separatist droid army. Grievous emerged victorious.

When Grievous was first reborn, he was given a very generic droid face plate, and wore no cape. Possessed of vanity, Grievous made personal modifications, adding the metal teeth and stripes above his eyes to simulate the Kaleesh tribal bone mask, and created a new cape for himself. Since he knew in joining the Separatists he would be in for a long battle with the Republic, he carved the lines, instead of painting them, to make it a permanent statement. He also made sure that all his guards wore the capes with the Mumuu war paint symbol as well.

Though Grievous was active at the time of the Battle of Geonosis, no Jedi had reported his existence as none had escaped his presence alive. He orchestrated many campaigns from sheltered bunkers, but he was not afraid to fight alongside his soulless troops in the frontlines of the battlegrounds. Jedi General Daakman Barrek first reported Grievous' frightening form on the industrial world of Hypori, where Grievous laid waste to almost all of Barrek's forces.

Following that bloody debut, scattered reports along the HoloNet told of numerous successes in the Office of the General's campaigns against the Republic. Grievous led a stab into the Republic's inner systems along the Corellian Trade Spine, conquering world after world. When Duro fell to a concentrated Confederacy attack, the insulated Core Worlds trembled in fear of what the General was able to achieve.

Count Dooku
And who was he in command under?

COUNT DOOKU

So Count Dooku had a great apprentice who lead the CIS into battle. Not to mention his other Apprentices that lead different divisions and units of the CIS.

Somewhat like Sidious, he had people leading his armies while he was settling political difference and having Jedi killed at the same time.

Looks like Dooku is the brilliant one.

ESB-1138
Too bad this is Who Would Lead a Better Army not who would use people. Grievous is a better General.

Nai Fohl
Waah....people.

Dooku was in fact one of the Jedi Orders best military leaders before he left the order. Despite the fact that he was not on the Council they still gave him the title of a General of the Republic forces. (He commanded the mission to destroy the Mandalorians - Battle of Galidraan).

But Tarkin is another calibre by far because he's cold, brutal and ruthless up to a dimension Dooku would never reach because Dooku has some principles. Tarkin once landed a ship on a demonstration killing hundrets of demonstrants (Ghorman massacre) and invented the Tarkin doctrine ("Rule through the fear of force, rather than force itself"wink that became the elementary rule of the imperial Navy.

He (indirectly) trained Admiral Ackbar (who was his slave) who used a lot of Tarkins tactics after joining the Rebellion and was the best tactician in the Rebel Army. And if he learned most of the things he knew from Tarkin, Tarkin must have been good. Add his ruthlessness and he might be the best militarical genious the Empire had (with Thrawn as only exception).

Darth Somebody
Count Dooku was a brilliant military mastermind - but he was not a general by nature. General Grievous was the superior military leader, though Revenge of The Sith did not make it appear so. Dooku was like his master, a politician - though no where near Sidious's skill.

He was well rounded. However, Tarkin is the superior commander. If you need proof, just look for Nai Fohl's post above.

Luke Skywalker
Originally posted by Count Dooku
And who was he in command under?

COUNT DOOKU

So Count Dooku had a great apprentice who lead the CIS into battle. Not to mention his other Apprentices that lead different divisions and units of the CIS.

Somewhat like Sidious, he had people leading his armies while he was settling political difference and having Jedi killed at the same time.

Looks like Dooku is the brilliant one.

Yeah, but we aren't talking about who is the Brilliant one, we are talking of the difference of two Leaders here.

Dooku was one of the greatest Sith Lords and he was a sure-hell good Saber scrapper but he didn't fit the role of a Military leader; He had people doing that for him.

Tarkin is a whole different story. He diminshed a planet, for christ sakes!

JediMusician
Count Dooku had a brilliant mind. He could control people, and orchestrate large and long-reaching situations so they turned out as he wanted. He was also a very good military leader, having learned from Yoda, one of the Order's best Generals ever.

That said, Grand Moff Tarkin is the better strategist and tactician.

This scenario also needs more information. What kind of armies are we talking about here? If they both are commanding only shock troops on an open field, then Dooku wins, as he would be able to participate.
If they are also using vehicles, on land, air, or space, then Tarkin wins.

DiamondBullets
Dooku was a good public speaker, crafty liar, lightsaber duelist, and manipulator. He makes for a good troop-rallyer, kinda like Uncle Sam, but not like Tarkin who was a Grand Moff.

Tarkin new all about the Death Star's weaknesses but didn't give a shit cuz he knew everyone was afraid of it. Thats why the Emperor had the Second Death Star built by humans instead of Geonosians, so the fugging insects wouldnt screw things up again.

And Count Dooku being leader of the CIS dont mean shit. It was a 100% fabrication. It just shows that he's a good liar and actor.

DiamondBullets
[

Fishy
Tarkin is the greatest general, and if I was Emperor I would have him lead my army's. Dooku is more like the minister of defense not a general.

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by Fishy
Tarkin is the greatest general, and if I was Emperor I would have him lead my army's. Dooku is more like the minister of defense not a general.

I would have both as generals then. Dooky is a force user giving him advantage imo. I like tarkin and I admit that he's a great leader but not as good as Dooku. I still mantain my opinion.

Fishy
Having the force does not give you an advantage in leading army's just in fighting. And Dooku is not one who would walk around the front lines keeping himself bussy with useless people

Darth_Janus

FistOfThe North

FistOfThe North
Well, Vader, who was supposively a very good general in his own right.

And Vader is the Supreme Commander of the Imperial Navy so he's more than just a good general.

He's also in charge of the 501st legion. The Empire's most elite army.

Delta 62
I don't really know any of Tarkin's background, but in my opinion Tarkin seems way too overconfident..to the point where he might overlook many details. Obviously that's what undid him..he was far too confident in the Death Star, and didn't take an attack by starfighters seriously.

darthrevan89
Originally posted by FistOfThe North

They both suck...just timewarp Revan and have him lead the army.

Count Dooku
Originally posted by darthrevan89
They both suck...just timewarp Revan and have him lead the army.

Revan is no god.

darthrevan89
Originally posted by Count Dooku
Revan is no god.

I know that, but in tactics he pwns all!!!

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by darthrevan89
I know that, but in tactics he pwns all!!!

Revan's irrelevant.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.