American History X

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DeNiro
great movie great actoing great story who agress this is one of my favorite movies cause one it has edward norton in it and he is just a cool ass actor and also it is a very intresting subject and a wicked cool death scene

Kes
I really like this movie.
I agree great acting, great story, great death scene.
It has a very strong topic.

DeNiro
very strong this story reminds me of a story my mom told me about sumthing she read ina chiken soup for the soul book where a neo nazi / white supremistis lived in a town were a jewish person moved in and was begging to be the new rabbi in the town well the wife and the rabbi got threating letters from this mang all the time and this and that and then they strted to pray for him and his soul and he had a swastika necklace in his hand and he got burned by it the same time they were praying but he got like sick when they were praying and they came and vistied him in the hostpital and when he got out he changed his ways just like derek did in the movie and actully converted to jewdism wich was kinda of a werid ending for such a hard core rascit u know but still a greta story

Lord_Andres
it's a great movie, but not in my top list

Kes
Interesting.

yerssot
yeah thumb up-movie

DeNiro
i luv this movie it is one of my favs and always wil be

ragdoll
it's definitely a favourite of mine...it never fails to impress me even though i've watched it over and over again so many times. One of the only movies that actually made me cry.

Tex
That chickensoup story sounds hella fake!stick out tongue
They just makeup stories so people will buy them!laughing out loud

pablo007
Yeah I like it a lot too

BackFire349
Outstanding movie.

DeNiro
possibely that that was fake but i dont know it wasa kinda of a cool story either way though but yeah and u use the same word as this kid at my school says hella and he also says what the fuzz

o kiMMii o
yeh my third fav movie after T2 and Aliens
Edward Furlong and Norton were great!

LanceWindu
AHX is a very great movie! Edward Norton is a great actor in this film. I especially liked when he 'curbed' that one guy who was trying to steal his vehicle.

Plus Eddie Furlong is great as always.

Hypernova
Definitely Edward Norton thumb up yes

Lil' Backfire
I cannot believe this movie only had 14 hits for replies. Dis-A-Pointed.

This is a very, very, VERY good film. The Lessons learned, the message behind it, the issues dealt... this should hit home with everyone.

The acting was phenominal.. even Ethan Suplee did a great job.

There was a lot to take in with this film:

Prejudice, biggotry, redemption, forgiveness, racism... you name the socail issue, and it is in this film.

I watched it over the weekend, and my brother came in half way through (he still has yet to see it all, but I think he watched it today) and I said something that was, in my eyes, spot on in this movie.

"The sins of the father are passed on to the son."

Derek (Norton) had racism passed on to him by his father, as is shown in the latter parts of the film. Derek passes those on to Danny (Furlong), which is fairly apparent. Not only that, but Cameron Alexander (real name escapes me) kind of embedds the ideals of White Supremacy into Derek and the rest of his D.O.C. posse.

Which raises another issue. Is racism learned or innate?

So many topics of discussion in this film. And the curby is just morbid. The sound of the guys teeth on the curb still gives me chills.

pennyroyal
I hope there hasnt already been a thread about this film confused
I found this film very thought provoking I was wondered what other people opinions are of the film and how racism and hate are portrayed in it

The Redeemer
Edward Norton's excellent in the part although the film is not as powerful in certain aspects as I'd been led to expect. The Australian ROMPER STOMPER tackles similar issues far more effectively IMO...

Myth
Romper Stomper was decent at best while American History X is a work of art. There wasn't as much depth to Romper (not saying that there wasn't depth, just not as much). Its best scenes were the huge brawl and the cops shooting the little boy.

Cinemaddiction
A lot of people saw "American History X" as an ABC afterschool special. "Romper Stomper", eh, it wasn't so high on realism as it was on the consequences of this gangs actions, and failure to realize they are out numbered.

The SMARTEST movie to date dealing with this would be "The Believer". Ryan Gosling's best flick to date. Very, very solid indie the likes of which I recommend.

Drumdude1167
one of my favorite movies out there.....grusome and beautiful

MildPossession
American History X is fabulous, and yes agree on The Believer, recommend that indeed.

Drumdude1167
whats good about this is that really huge guy is in it.....HE's SO ****ing HUGE eek!

KidRock
I am thinking about renting this movie since I have never seen it before. Is it any good?

Bardock42
American History X

Yes, quirte...Edward Norton is great as always...one of the better movies ever actually......love it......although it has some quite disturbing scenes for thos less stoic than me (you won't have a problem with it I'm sure)

MildPossession
I thought Edward Furlong was wonderful in this film, yes see it! buy it even. Ending is amazing.

Bardock42
Originally posted by MildPossession
I thought Edward Furlong was wonderful in this film, yes see it! buy it even. Ending is amazing.

Yeah he was good...I am just particularly fond of Edward Norton in general....so really great movie...meaningfull too.....ending is amazing to...but well.....you people that saw it know.....

KidRock
I am not even sure what this movie is about. Is it more of a drama type where Norton tries to talk his brother into not being like he was or does it have action in it?

Bardock42
Originally posted by KidRock
I am not even sure what this movie is about. Is it more of a drama type where Norton tries to talk his brother into not being like he was or does it have action in it?

It does have action in it, so it is very watchable, but while watching it you get that message, it works with Flashbacks a lot...(well its basically the movie) ...very good....if you are not sure, rent it...its at least worth that much....

tabby999
yeah its about a New Wave Nazi who goes to jail after killing some black men who tried to steal his car. When he comes back he tries to convince his brother that he shouldn't go down the same path. great film on all accounts

Deano
check out the head stomp on the pavement

Bardock42
Originally posted by Deano

Oh yeah...you will definately like that.....if you are as sick as me embarrasment

Cinemaddiction

Nothin' like a curbie to get the testosterone a flowin'!

Deano
on ebaumsworld there is a video of some stupid kids doing that scene
fukin idiots

MildPossession
We had to look at that scene a few times in film studies, I don't mind the actual stomp, it's the teeth on the curb that gets me. Urgh.

Bardock42
Originally posted by MildPossession
We had to look at that scene a few times in film studies, I don't mind the actual stomp, it's the teeth on the curb that gets me. Urgh.

Yeah quite....erk sick......but strangely ausing at the same time....I am bad embarrasment

muserke
They just showed that movie yesterday! eek!

Poor Danny. sad

Lemonade Whiz
One of the more better-thought out movies of the 1990s.

I don't think very many moviemakers would considering making a piece like this-- if they did, it would definitely not have the same powerful invocation that this one displayed.

They would probably emphasize too much on the curbside death, the bathroom rape, and the high school assassination and totally delete the more moral side of the flick.

That's just me talking, though.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Lemonade Whiz
One of the more better-thought out movies of the 1990s.

I don't think very many moviemakers would considering making a piece like this-- if they did, it would definitely not have the same powerful invocation that this one displayed.

They would probably emphasize too much on the curbside death, the bathroom rape, and the high school assassination and totally delete the more moral side of the flick.

That's just me talking, though.

Hm....got that you didn't just spoil great parts of the movie.....you might want to consider editing and put a spoiler warning....

Trickster
I watched this film over here in the UK one night on TV. By night, I mean late night, it was about 12 when it started. Really good film, though, gives a lot to think about.

I think the best bits of the film are the prison bit - the curbie is sick, made me wince like a biatch. Reminds me of the Glasgow smile, sort of sick thing people do to one another.

jaden101

now...SAY GOODNIGHT.... evil face evil face evil face

i still love the little speech at the end though...paraphrased from abraham lincoln's inauguration speech

"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic cords of memory will swell when again touched, as they surely will be, by the better angels of our nature."

evildeaddesigns
I loved how powerfull the ending was.
The movie is awesome!

yerssot
now I finally know who he quoted! thx

SnakeEyes
Just watched this movie last night.

It was great.

Ed Norton did an amazing job, as always.

T.M
Great film. just watched it on DVD the other day.

Wolfie
Goes without saying that this is an amazing film.

WrathfulDwarf
Nothing further to add for me than to say....

...5 out of 5.

SnakeEyes
Wow, quite literally everyone here likes this movie.

bakerboy
excellent movie, and a suberb performance by Ed Norton.

SnakeEyes
My only gripe was the narration by Edward Furlong... I just hate his voice/how it sounds so immature and wimpy.

Rogue Jedi
exactly. should have been edward norton instead.

Solo
I thought it was terrible.
Originally posted by Cory Chaos
The SMARTEST movie to date dealing with this would be "The Believer". Ryan Gosling's best flick to date. Very, very solid indie the likes of which I recommend.
Have you seen Half Nelson?

Eis
Why? I find it far too overrated but quite good.

Jim Reaper
The best part is when the principle ask him if anything he has done has made his life better.

doomsday49
Ranked amongst the top in my collection. Dope movie, without doubt!!

rockycairns
brilliant film Norton's joint top performance (tied with Fight Club and Primal Fear) great story very very good movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.