Superman, GL (Hal), and Dr. Fate versus Thor, Magneto, and Dr. Strange

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

masterbruce
which side prevails?

This battle takes place in Manhattan.

Draco69
It's rather close. Toss-up.

masterbruce
that's a nonanswer...I made it close on purpose

each side has slight advantages and disadvantages with certain characters but overall the two teams match against each other pretty well

armandovalles
Supes team wins.

Superman >= Thor

Green Lantern >>>> Magneto

Dr. Fate =< Dr. Strange

masterbruce
Superman >= Thor is debatable

And Magneto in a city full of machines and metal will give GL a run for his money

demigawd
Superman > Thor
Magneto > Hal
Dr. Strange > Dr. Fate.

Team Marvel wins, 2-1.

armandovalles
No way is Magneto superior to Hal Jordan, the best of all the Green Lanterns. Hal can do anything Magneto can, but Magneto cant do anything Hal can.

demigawd
Magneto is far superior to Hal. Jordan's constructs are made of light enrergy. Magneto controls light. Magneto takes Hal's constructs and beats him over the head with it.

Draco69
The constructs CAN be made of light. If the user so wishes. However the constructs can be made from any energy the user desires. Light is easier to work with.

The ring has completely control over the entire electromagnetic spectrum and has access to even some magical pools as well. The ring is extremely underrated here.

demigawd
If that ring is soooo all-powerful, why can't it make a red light? ;P

Draco69
Originally posted by demigawd
If that ring is soooo all-powerful, why can't it make a red light? ;P

Because it is restricted by its energy components namely:

The Parallax impurity and Oan's blue mental energy.

YELLOW + BLUE = Green

demigawd
I thought it was purged of the impurity. If it's not, then doesn't it still have the yellow weakness?

Draco69
I thought it was purged of the impurity. If it's not, then doesn't it still have the yellow weakness?

You have to read Rebirth. It's a repair of DC's loopholes involving GL.

It DOES currently have the yellow weakness. However they can overcome it.

The impurity is needed for the GL ring to function.

Or the wearer will go mad.

jrodslam
Also of all the colors in the spectrum, GREEN is the most pure(willpower wise). And probably the strongest. Thats why its used primarily.

Like Draco said, Rebirth explains alot. Great series.

Draco69
More accurately, Rebirth REPAIRED alot of DC's inconsistent, mind-boggling, editorial blunders that happened in the GL series.

Avalonofthewind
Magneto is far superior to Hal. Jordan's constructs are made of light enrergy. Magneto controls light. Magneto takes Hal's constructs and beats him over the head with it.

Magneto is nowhere near a good GL.
Can mags contain a supernova with his forcefield?
A GL can do whatever Mags can, the reverse isnt true.

supremthor
also the ring object doesnt always have to be green. it can be any color the person wats. but the only problem it needs more well power. that why most gl object are green. http://glcorps.dcuguide.com/rings.php

demigawd
Originally posted by Avalonofthewind
Magneto is nowhere near a good GL.
Can mags contain a supernova with his forcefield?
A GL can do whatever Mags can, the reverse isnt true.

And yet, I see GL constructs broken, like, every other issue of JLA. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Not impressed.

Oh and there's still a yellow weakness? Uh oh! Bad news for GL

kgkg
And yet, I see GL constructs broken, like, every other issue of JLA. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Not impressed.

kyle is not Hal

kyle is a sissy

jrodslam

Not impressed.

It would really be lame if GL withstood everything thrown at them. What hero do you know shurgs off everything? His highpoint outway his lowpoint by far.

You should be impressed. Not many heroes have feats that are on par with Hal.

There is a yellow weakness that has been overcome. Nulled.
The Big 5 wont have a problem with it. All new members have to learn to overcome it.

jrodslam
Originally posted by kgkg
kyle is not Hal

kyle is a sissy

I agree.

demigawd
I missed all of Hal's appearances, so I'll withhold judgment until I'm suitably informed by reading his series. But in the first issue....meh.

kgkg
I missed all of Hal's appearances, so I'll withhold judgment until I'm suitably informed by reading his series. But in the first issue....meh.
Well if it helps

Both Kyle and Hal has defeated Polaris

demigawd
Except Magneto >>>>>>>>>>> Polaris.

Out of curiousity. How did the fight go?

kgkg
Except Magneto >>>>>>>>>>> Polaris.

>>>>>>>>>>>>> Polaris what isn't that too much? Can you prove this?

I do agree magneto is better but that's going overboard

battle with hal or Kyle

jrodslam
Hal once beat Dr.Polaris by pumping him with so much magnetic energy, that it turned him into pure magnetic energy.

What can Mags do about matter manipulation?

demigawd
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Polaris what isn't that too much? Can you prove this?

I do agree magneto is better but that's going overboard

battle with hal or Kyle

Wait...I missed the battle. Were you going to post something? Your post ended abruptly.

Magneto has far better feats than Polaris. Polaris is only now beginning to use his powers more intelligently. Magneto has planetary level feats, including the whole black hole thing. He's shown control over all four forces. He's absorbed gamma radiation and emitted microwaves. He's controlled gravity, etc. etc. You've heard it all before. It definitely surpasses Polaris.

Originally posted by jrodslam
Hal once beat Dr.Polaris by pumping him with so much magnetic energy, that it turned him into pure magnetic energy.

What can Mags do about matter manipulation?

Magneto has absorbed planetary levels of magnetic power before. He did it when he was stuck in the earth's core, and he did it when he absorbed the magnetosphere from the earth. It left him more powerful. I suspect his absorption capabilities are pretty high.

Mags has low level matter manipulation. He can destroy matter more easily than built it, however, by atomically breaking it.

jrodslam
When Hal defeated Polaris, he was trying to tap the magnetic energy of the Universe. Not just a planet. He already had a pretty gppd portion of it. Hal gave it all to him and Polaris got absorbed into the core of the universe.

It would be funny if Hal shrunk Mags down to the size of a pea. Then stomp on him. lol.

kgkg
Wait...I missed the battle. Were you going to post something? Your post ended abruptly.

Magneto has far better feats than Polaris. Polaris is only now beginning to use his powers more intelligently. Magneto has planetary level feats, including the whole black hole thing. He's shown control over all four forces. He's absorbed gamma radiation and emitted microwaves. He's controlled gravity, etc. etc. You've heard it all before. It definitely surpasses Polaris.

Magneto has absorbed planetary levels of magnetic power before. He did it when he was stuck in the earth's core, and he did it when he absorbed the magnetosphere from the earth. It left him more powerful. I suspect his absorption capabilities are pretty high.

Mags has low level matter manipulation. He can destroy matter more easily than built it, however, by atomically breaking it.
lol don't get Jrod started with Hal's Feat it surpasses Mag by a lot.

Kyle defeated Polaris once by what it looked to be a neutralizing Gun that makes magnetic powers vanish.

Magneto will put a good fight, but Hal has the resources to beat him.

demigawd
When Hal defeated Polaris, he was trying to tap the magnetic energy of the Universe. Not just a planet. He already had a pretty gppd portion of it. Hal gave it all to him and Polaris got absorbed into the core of the universe.

It would be funny if Hal shrunk Mags down to the size of a pea. Then stomp on him. lol.

Oh, so Hal won via plot device. Not a big deal.

lol don't get Jrod started with Hal's Feat it surpasses Mag by a lot.

Kyle defeated Polaris once by what it looked to be a neutralizing Gun that makes magnetic powers vanish.

Magneto will put a good fight, but Hal has the resources to beat him.

Magneto would have to let that happen. Magneto's ruthlessness would take out Kyle before Kyle got to that point. Polaris is too much bluster, that's why he gets caught.

My question is - how did Kyle/Hal react to EM energy from Polaris, assuming he was doing more than just throwing metal stuff around.

kgkg
Oh, so Hal won via plot device. Not a big deal.

Magneto would have to let that happen. Magneto's ruthlessness would take out Kyle before Kyle got to that point. Polaris is too much bluster, that's why he gets caught.

My question is - how did Kyle/Hal react to EM energy from Polaris, assuming he was doing more than just throwing metal stuff around.

I agree Kyle would go down.

But Hal is more powerful

jrodslam
Plot device? Hal did it with his own ring. If you wanna count that as a plot device, then yes.
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1403/8aeee62c3dg.th.jpg

kgkg
big grin

jrodslam
Kyle would go down.

demigawd
It looked from that scan less like Polaris was even trying to fight Hal and more that Polaris was busy with his task and Hal came and messed it all up for him. I'm curious to see how a Polaris whose only task was taking out Hal would do, and given that Polaris even got to that point, I'm guessing he beat Hal in a past issue and now Hal is desperate.

kgkg
It looked from that scan less like Polaris was even trying to fight Hal and more that Polaris was busy with his task and Hal came and messed it all up for him. I'm curious to see how a Polaris whose only task was taking out Hal would do, and given that Polaris even got to that point, I'm guessing he beat Hal in a past issue and now Hal is desperate.
ya Polaris once jacked his powers and ring

jrodslam

Polaris was fighting indeed. Hal was carless, and Polaris stole the ring as KG stated. Hal did manage to get it back however and whoop on Dr.P.
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5311/eafbbbc79lz.th.jpg

Draco69
People you don't seem to understand the ring. I know ALOT of you seem to think it can just make pretty green shapes. But no. It can do ANYTHING....provided the will matches it.

It can bring people back from the dead.
It can alter reality.
It can create timetravel.

It has access to ANY and ALL energy properties. Gamma, Cosmic, Magic, you name it.

demigawd
Polaris was fighting indeed. Hal was carless, and Polaris stole the ring as KG stated. Hal did manage to get it back however and whoop on Dr.P.
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5311/eafbbbc79lz.th.jpg

I think that scan is a much better indication of how the fight should be than your previous scan. In your previous scan, Hal pretty much snuck up on Polaris, who was busy with something else. In this way, they fight on even terms....and Polaris wins, fair and square.

Magneto is smarter, craftier, and even more ruthless than Polaris. It's a good match, but I don't see it ending well for Hal.

Originally posted by Draco69
People you don't seem to understand the ring. I know ALOT of you seem to think it can just make pretty green shapes. But no. It can do ANYTHING....provided the will matches it.

It can bring people back from the dead.
It can alter reality.
It can create timetravel.

It has access to ANY and ALL energy properties. Gamma, Cosmic, Magic, you name it.

For as long as the charge is good. Magneto could just absorb its energy. Or....jack the ring like Polaris did. And Magneto's will is incredible.

Draco69

For as long as the charge is good. Magneto could just absorb its energy. Or....jack the ring like Polaris did. And Magneto's will is incredible.

Like the Starheart and Qwardians tried and failed? Please.

It has to do with concentration. If Hal's concentration slips then he's defenseless. He wasn't focused on the fight (primarily due to the yet ANOTHER death of his girlfriend) thus he was defenseless.

A bloodlusted Hal once contained an entire galaxy of planet-destroyers.

And don't compare Magneto's will to Hal. His will is laughable compared to Jordan.

kgkg

It has to do with concentration. If Hal's concentration slips then he's defenseless. He wasn't focused on the fight (primarily due to the yet ANOTHER death of his girlfriend) thus he was defenseless.

And don't compare Magneto's will to Hal. His will is laughable compared to Jordan.
failed to do what? jack Gl energy or the Ring?

Draco69
failed to do what? jack Gl energy or the Ring?

Both.

The Starheart (think a magical Galactus) tried and failed to absorb the ring's energy

The Qwardians also tried to duplicate and control the ring but it didn't happen due to the A.I. and the will of the ringbearer.

kgkg
Both.

The Starheart (think a magical Galactus) tried and failed to absorb the ring's energy

The Qwardians also tried to duplicate and control the ring but it didn't happen due to the A.I. and the will of the ringbearer.
how about these scans

kgkg
and this

kgkg
Hal wins Mag isn't jacking Hal's energy, but it is possible

Draco69
how about these scans

That scan is invalid since Booster is YELLOW.

Draco69
and this

The Power Rod was a stolen weapon from the renegade Manhunters and New God technology. The Guardians specifically created it to counter the green ring incase any Corps member went nuts. And of course it got stolen.

Magneto unfortunately doesn't have such resources.

Draco69

Highly unlikely. It's an energy unlike anything Mags has encountered.

demigawd

Don't make excuses for Hal. A fight's a fight. :d

Magneto has perhaps the greatest willpower in comics. I seriously doubt Hal's is greater. Magneto, on willpower alone, as a KID, brought himself back to life at the Nazi death camps and climbed his way through 500 bodies in a lime pit and unburied himself. Magneto, through sheer will power, resisted Rogue's absorption, and Psylocke's psychic knife. Through sheer willpower, he took a full shot to the face by Colossus with no helmet and no shield and didn't go down. He rejected the Shadow King and mentally fought Doom (the other contender for the willpower title) to a draw.

No, Hal is NOT winning the willpower contest against Magneto.

jrodslam
That wasnt even Booster. It was a Manhunter for one. Second, Black Hand is an inventing genius. Thats like Reed Richards making something that neutralizes the power cosmic.

Juntai
Supes Hal and Fate got this.

kgkg
The Power Rod was a stolen weapon from the renegade Manhunters and New God technology. The Guardians specifically created it to counter the green ring incase any Corps member went nuts. And of course it got stolen.

Magneto unfortunately doesn't have such resources.
ya like i said Magneto isn't jacking Gl energy.

i was just showing it is possible.

demigawd

At first I was like, "Who's side are you on, kgkg?", then I read this and I realized that it was more a case of you setting up for a GL/Surfer fight, lol.

GL power was described in that scan as "green light", and Booster absorbed it with yellow. Magneto controls light, he could EASILY do a Booster on GL. So if Booster can do it, then yes, Magneto most certainly could do it as well. Magneto still takes this.

kgkg
At first I was like, "Who's side are you on, kgkg?", then I read this and I realized that it was more a case of you setting up for a GL/Surfer fight, lol.

GL power was described in that scan as "green light", and Booster absorbed it with yellow. Magneto controls light, he could EASILY do a Booster on GL. So if Booster can do it, then yes, Magneto most certainly could do it as well. Magneto still takes this.
damn you found out

Draco69
Don't make excuses for Hal. A fight's a fight. :d

More like PIS ridden crapbole.

Magneto has perhaps the greatest willpower in comics. I seriously doubt Hal's is greater. Magneto, on willpower alone, as a KID, brought himself back to life at the Nazi death camps and climbed his way through 500 bodies in a lime pit and unburied himself. Magneto, through sheer will power, resisted Rogue's absorption, and Psylocke's psychic knife.

Boo-hoo. Wah-Wah. So he survived a Nazi Camp. So what? Hal was once forced to watch Sinestro murder several entire solar systems that killed billions upon billions of lifes. Hal's life is FAR more shi**y than Mags.

Resisted Psylocke? So what? Hal resisted Krona's mental manipulation that dominated one entire splinter universe of the multiverse. Not to mention Hector Hammond who makes Psylocke and Xavier look like a autist.

Resisted Rogue's absorbtion? So what? Hal resisted the Spectre himself several times without a ring. Only his willpower kept the Wrath of God in check.

Through sheer willpower, he took a full shot to the face by Colossus with no helmet and no shield and didn't go down.

Through sheer willpower, Hal survived nearly two years of mental and physical torture at the hands of the Manhunters....and STILL wouldn't tell them where the Guardians were.

He rejected the Shadow King

Hal fought the influence of the Parallax demon chewing on his soul for the entire duration of his life.

and mentally fought Doom (the other contender for the willpower title) to a draw.

Hal mentally fought the Guardians from preventing him from using the Oan Core. That's nearly a THOUSAND uber-telepaths that make Xavier and Shadow King look like children.

No, Hal is NOT winning the willpower contest against Magneto.

Please. Hal is the eptiome of willpower. Always is and always will be.

Draco69

Green light? Of course it was green light. It was a friggin flashlight. Booster surprised him.

And for god's sake the color of the field is YELLOW.

demigawd
damn you found out

that's why you support Magneto on a lot of threads, isn't it, you little bastard? Magneto, having similar powers on a smaller scale, is the gatekeeper for Surfer, lol.

jrodslam
Green light? Of course it was green light. It was a friggin flashlight. Booster surprised him.

Are you sure than wanst a manhunter?

"No man escapes the Manhunters" is the trademark saying. Plus they have the ability to shapeshift.

Draco69
Are you sure than wanst a manhunter?

"No man escapes the Manhunters" is the trademark saying. Plus they have the ability to shapeshift.

No idea. I don't have the comic. But Booster cannot absorb GL's ring energy. Hell he couldn't even absorb Superman's heat vision.

demigawd
More like PIS ridden crapbole.

What? So Hal loses to Polaris fair and square and it's PIS, but then Polaris, who isn't paying the slightest bit of attention to Hal, gets overloaded and THAT'S accurate? C'mon now!

Did Hal have a personal connection to those lives? No...so it has nothing to do with willpower. Invalid point. Magneto KNEW those hundreds of people. They were friends, family. He was left for dead and WILLED himself to life and out of the pits, surrounded by the rotting flesh of everybody he's ever loved. It's not a contest of who had the shitter life, it's a contest of who has the will to overcome it. Magneto OVERCAME that kind of trauma being right in his face. It's easy to overcome the destruction of star systems you don't know - it's all abstract.

Now when Hal's city was destroyed, he snapped and became corrupted by Parallax. That's not a very will powered thing to do.

magneto resisted the combined might of Xavier and Phoenix, and he willed himself to fight off the Phoenix Force's mental attack, which had just previously obliterated Firelord easily.

Wasn't Hal Spectre at the time of Krona?

Magneto, as a child, endured FIVE years of mental and physical torture and never gave up and never revealed the location of the rest of his family (they found them anyway).

Fighting and winning are two different things. He lost Coast City, he lost the fight with Parallax. He got weak and gave in.

He was being powered by Parallax by then and had, like, a million GL rings.

demigawd

Surprise or no, Booster absorbed and redirected the GL energy. Magneto can generate the color yellow easily...it's part of the EM spectrum. So all of Magneto's attacks will just be yellow, then. Generate a yellow forcefield too (he made his forcefield gray and blue before). Too easy.

demigawd
No idea. I don't have the comic. But Booster cannot absorb GL's ring energy. Hell he couldn't even absorb Superman's heat vision.

And yet...he did. PIS again?

kgkg
that's why you support Magneto on a lot of threads, isn't it, you little bastard? Magneto, having similar powers on a smaller scale, is the gatekeeper for Surfer, lol.
damn u been stocking me?

demigawd
I've been watching you! When you post, when you shower. Undress. Quite a girlfriend you have there. I wonder if she gets lonely at 9pm when watching Canadian Idol.

Avalonofthewind

Not impressed.

And mags has been beaten many times by the xmen...so what?

Kyle alone got through solaris shields which I think a just a bit more powerful than anything Mags can create and a hell of a lot more diverse.

Mags does not compare. Especially if Hal is bloodluster. Mags would get his ass killed if he tried going against the GL corps on his own.

Draco69
What? So Hal loses to Polaris fair and square and it's PIS, but then Polaris, who isn't paying the slightest bit of attention to Hal, gets overloaded and THAT'S accurate? C'mon now!

Yep. Hal was losing it at that time. He lost to Rainbow Raider once. You need to understand that the effectiveness of the ring is tied to the mental stability of the ringbearer. So if Thor's hammer is tied to his mental stability then if Thor's life was hitting the fan the hammer would have the effectiveness of a Sock Em Bop It.

Did Hal have a personal connection to those lives?

Actually YES. Hal knew these people since he first became a GL. The solar systems were one of the first alien worlds he visited. He watched children grow into adults. He romanced with several of the alien women. He claimed it to be his second home.

And Sinestro destroyed them. One by one. Billions upon billions of lifes were on his conscious. Many if not all close and personal friends.

No...so it has nothing to do with willpower. Invalid point.

YOU mentioned the Nazi death camps... confused

Magneto KNEW those hundreds of people. They were friends, family. He was left for dead and WILLED himself to life and out of the pits, surrounded by the rotting flesh of everybody he's ever loved. It's not a contest of who had the shitter life, it's a contest of who has the will to overcome it.

Which is kinda nullified by your post and mine. Please. Hal was dropped onto a desolate fragement of a planet, powerless, and watched thousands upon thousands of his friends die around him. Many including GL Corps member. And through that hell, he somehow found the willpower to mentally activate the Oan Battery, hundreds upon hundreds of lightyears away, into recharging his ring.

That's willpower.

Magneto OVERCAME that kind of trauma being right in his face. It's easy to overcome the destruction of star systems you don't know - it's all abstract.

Magneto crawled out of deathpit. So what? So did Hal with yellow construct spikes poking out his legs. And somehow found the willpower to do the above.

Now when Hal's city was destroyed, he snapped and became corrupted by Parallax. That's not a very will powered thing to do.

First off, Parallax took advantage of the momentary tramua to corrupt him. Hal has been resisting him for YEARS.

And what about Magneto launching a bloody NUKE into a populated area just because Rogue got hit by missile. Will-powered my ass.

magneto resisted the combined might of Xavier and Phoenix, and he willed himself to fight off the Phoenix Force's mental attack, which had just previously obliterated Firelord easily.

Impressive. But not as impressive as Hal actually defying GOD from throwing him into Hell or Heaven. His willpower actually proved to be so strong he put himself in Purgatory because he thought he deserved punishment and redemption.

Wasn't Hal Spectre at the time of Krona?

Um. No. Krona jumpstarted the whole Infinite Crisis mess back in the 1980s.

Magneto, as a child, endured FIVE years of mental and physical torture and never gave up and never revealed the location of the rest of his family (they found them anyway).

Hal, at the hands of the Spectre, endured what was equivalent to several millenia the pains and sorrows of every living being on the planet as penance for his sins. Any other mind would have shattered...not Hal.

Fighting and winning are two different things. He lost Coast City, he lost the fight with Parallax. He got weak and gave in.

He WAS winning...until Coast City. By then Parallax got a huge powerboost and exploited the weak moment. He didn't give in. The Parallax demon took over his friggin soul. And Hal overcame it.

By the way, Hal had to deal with the Spectre AND the Parallax demon in Purgatory. Hardcore.

He was being powered by Parallax by then and had, like, a million GL rings.

Um. No. That wasn't when he was Parallax. Hal has defied the Guardians COUNTLESS times. It was just another row with them. Hal got fired after he did this.

jrodslam

Loses to Polaris? Polaris gave him a blast then ran away. Hal caught up to him and beat him. When he was overloading him with the energy, Polaris couldnt do anything about it.

First off, Parallax was already eating away at his sould without him realizing it. When his citry was destroyed, he recreated it all by willpower. Thats well over the hundreds of people Magneto knew. Then when he ran out of power, he took out the heavy hitters of the Corps, defeated Sinestro in h2h, then obliterated Kilowog. And in the end it was him who had the willpower to fight off Parallax even when Spectre was powerless against him.

Id like to see proof of that one.

demigawd
Mags WOULD get killed if he tried going against the GL Corps on his own. Luckily, he's not. He's just fighting Hal.

Magneto's shields have held up against some of the most powerful forces in the marvel universe. By the time Kyle figured out some way around it, he'd be dead.

I didn't see Hal do anything in his LOSS to Polaris that showed how he'd counteract the effects of EM on his body. Largely because Polaris wasn't smart enough to figure that out. Not so with Magneto.

And as I hear it, Polaris owned GL along with the rest of the League during the Emperor Joker storyline.

Draco69
Surprise or no, Booster absorbed and redirected the GL energy. Magneto can generate the color yellow easily...it's part of the EM spectrum. So all of Magneto's attacks will just be yellow, then. Generate a yellow forcefield too (he made his forcefield gray and blue before). Too easy.

Once again, the forcefield was YELLOW. ANYTHING yellow can absorb and redirect the GL energy. Hell Jubilee's raincoat could do the same.

Too bad Magneto has no idea that GL rings are weak to the color yellow.

It has nothing to with the EM spectrum in terms of light it has to do with this crazy cosmic color hierahcy much like the Infinity Gems.

Blue= Oan's Mental energy
Yellow= Parallax's Fear
Green=Source's Essence

Draco69

No. YELLOW. YELLOW. Color. Color disrupt GL energy. YELLOW.

I feel like miracle worker. stick out tongue

demigawd
Yep. Hal was losing it at that time. He lost to Rainbow Raider once. You need to understand that the effectiveness of the ring is tied to the mental stability of the ringbearer. So if Thor's hammer is tied to his mental stability then if Thor's life was hitting the fan the hammer would have the effectiveness of a Sock Em Bop It.

And since when is Polaris the paragon of stability? The guy has multiple personality disorder! And we have no idea what distracting things Polaris was going through at the time. Maybe he lost he pet cat. You can't just disregard the results of a fight because Hal had some stress. He IS Mr. Willpower, according to your colleague. He should have had the will to press ahead and beat Polaris, knowing the universe was at stake. He didn't.

I didn't mention the Nazi death camps to prove his life was crappier. He mentioned he Nazi death camps because that was where he willed himself back to life and dug himself out of a lime pit surrounded by his family and friends. 100% of everybody he's ever known. That's actually more signficant than Hal losing a planet. When you're a kid, your town IS your universe. It's your multiverse.

That's motivation, lol. It wasn't through that hell that he found the willpower, it was BECAUSE of that hell that he found the willpower.

Having body parts of family members attached to you is slightly more traumatic than having yellow constructs poking you. Just slightly.

I'm not up on my GL, but wasn't Parallax trying to influence ALL of the GL's? Which is why you can't know fear, because then Parallax will get you? so doesn't that make Hal the *first* to crack?

He controlled the nuke's explosion, actually. Nobody died but the pilot who launched it at him.

Bah, that's the best he could do? Magneto thought, "screw this heaven and hell crap" and just brought himself back to life.

The Spectre has had other identities before. They didn't shatter.

demigawd
Loses to Polaris? Polaris gave him a blast then ran away. Hal caught up to him and beat him. When he was overloading him with the energy, Polaris couldnt do anything about it.

Polaris knocked Hal out and then left because he had other things to do. That's a loss. Hal beat him because Polaris was in the middle of something else. I want to see Polaris hitting Hal with everything he has and Hal countering it and beating Polaris the way Polaris did to him. Until then, it's pretty open and shut that Magneto would win.

Final issue of Fatal Attractions. Phoenix and Xavier combined to mentally assault Magneto, who fought them off while still fighting the rest of the X-men. He only lost because he was holding back, as Wolverine observed.

UXM #150. Magneto fights off Phoenix Force.

demigawd
No. YELLOW. YELLOW. Color. Color disrupt GL energy. YELLOW.

I feel like miracle worker. stick out tongue

Yes, yes, I get it, I get it. Yellow bad. Magneto controls colors. he'll make his forcefield yellow, grab a metal pole and make it yellow, then impale Hal with it.

jrodslam

Over billions of years, the Manhunters spoke a variety of oaths

"No Evil Escapes the Manhunters!"
"Death to the Green Lantern Corps!"
"No Man Escapes the Manhunters!"
"The Manhunters are a Myth!"

Kgkg can you prove that in the scan it was indeed Booster Gold and NOT a Manhunter? Do you have that comic?

Masters of disguise as well as fending off GL attacks.

jrodslam
Yes, yes, I get it, I get it. Yellow bad. Magneto controls colors. he'll make his forcefield yellow, grab a metal pole and make it yellow, then impale Hal with it.

Sorry. Yellow weakness no more. At least not for the big 5.

demigawd
Wait...now I'm hearing this again. Is there or is there not a yellow weakness? Someone just last page said there still is.

Or is this one of those "Martian Manhunter doesn't fear fire, unless it's certain types of fire" things where it's really just left to the writer?

long pig
Superman team wins.

Yes there is still a yellow weakness, but they can overcome it with a good bit of willpower.
Even still, it blinded a GL and really ****ed them up.

Manhunter is still vulnerable to fire, don't let people tell you wrong.

But as for this fight, Magneto isn't on Kyle's league and Thor/Superman could go either way, same for Fate/Strange.

sad Magneto is kinda the weak link.......sad

MAGNETO PRIME LIVES!

zachrivard
i agree w/ long pig superman team wins

jrodslam
Wait...now I'm hearing this again. Is there or is there not a yellow weakness? Someone just last page said there still is.

Or is this one of those "Martian Manhunter doesn't fear fire, unless it's certain types of fire" things where it's really just left to the writer?

Because Parallax is back in the main power battery, the yellow impurity is back. HOWEVER, Guy, Hal, Kyle, Jogn, Kilowog faced fear(parallax) and overcame it. GL: Rebirth.

Now if and when new members of the Corps are recruited, they have to be taught to overcome fear thus beating the impurity.

GL Rebirth #5 Hal to Corps - "Remember fear and you can shake off Parallax."

GL #1 - John - "It would have worked back in the day. The impurity is back in the power battery again, but we know its name now. And we know how to beat it."

Hal - "Feel fear. Overcome it."
John - "Not a problem."

Rebirth explains alot. Great series.

jrodslam
LP is right about Manhunter as well. Well....sorta.

If you shoot a flame thrower at Martian Manhunter, he doesnt get bothered and shurgs it off. If someones dying in fire or suffering, Manhunter is able to do nothing and suffers as well.

long pig
Manhunter's fire phobia is just that, fear.

It doesn't really harm him, it just messes his head up. But they gave him a new weakness here recently, magic.

I was reading on CBRF and they were talking about his new weakness, Gail Simone or whatever her name is was going in detail on how it works against him.

Pretty neat, cuz someone like MM needs a weakness or he'd be unstoppable.

jrodslam
Well i wouldnt quite count that as a weakness. If you think about it on a more technical scale, EVERYONE has a weakness to magic. Except those who actually do it to a certain level.

But fire is too lame of a weakness. Almost as lame as yellow. Im glad they changed both. But MM does need something besides fire.

long pig
I agree.

What is it with D.C and having to give everyone an easily exploitable weakness?

Superman-K-nite
MM-Fire
GL-Yellow
New Gods-Radon

demigawd
Originally posted by long pig
Superman team wins.

Yes there is still a yellow weakness, but they can overcome it with a good bit of willpower.
Even still, it blinded a GL and really ****ed them up.

Manhunter is still vulnerable to fire, don't let people tell you wrong.

But as for this fight, Magneto isn't on Kyle's league and Thor/Superman could go either way, same for Fate/Strange.

sad Magneto is kinda the weak link.......sad

MAGNETO PRIME LIVES!

That doesn't make any sense. So if GL had his forcefield up and I ran up behind him with a yellow hammer, would I or would I not hit him, knowing that he doesn't know I'm running up on him with a yellow hammer?

Magneto isn't in Kyle's league??? Polaris beat the entire JLA, INCLUDING GL. Are you kidding me? Magneto crushes Kyle. A scan was posted of Polaris beating Hal fair and square after a lengthy fight. Magneto is a lot more powerful than Polaris, and Polaris today is more powerful than Polaris then. Magneto owns Kyle and rapes Hal.

As for this whole, "sometimes a weakness in specific circumstances" mess that both MM and GL have, it's lame. Either you're vulnerable or you're not. Dang DC.

kgkg
That doesn't make any sense. So if GL had his forcefield up and I ran up behind him with a yellow hammer, would I or would I not hit him, knowing that he doesn't know I'm running up on him with a yellow hammer?

Magneto isn't in Kyle's league??? Polaris beat the entire JLA, INCLUDING GL. Are you kidding me? Magneto crushes Kyle. A scan was posted of Polaris beating Hal fair and square after a lengthy fight. Magneto is a lot more powerful than Polaris, and Polaris today is more powerful than Polaris then. Magneto owns Kyle and rapes Hal.

As for this whole, "sometimes a weakness in specific circumstances" mess that both MM and GL have, it's lame. Either you're vulnerable or you're not. Dang DC.
The weakness is still there they have to overcome it

demigawd
Yeah, but what i'm asking is...if you run up behind a shielded GL with a yellow plastic bat, knowing that they don't know you're behind them, and thus making it not a factor of will but a factor of, "will it penetrate?"...will it penetrate or not?

kgkg
Yeah, but what i'm asking is...if you run up behind a shielded GL with a yellow plastic bat, knowing that they don't know you're behind them, and thus making it not a factor of will but a factor of, "will it penetrate?"...will it penetrate or not?
We will have to see.

I would say yes it would, since they need to overcome, meaning they need to at least acknowledge it’s presence to over come it.

kgkg
hope this helps

Avalonofthewind

Could Mags do this in any way shape of form? Even before Supes got there, he was holding the force of a supernova.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/avalonofthewind/Kyle2.jpg

demigawd
That's nice. Kyle still gets his constructs shattered every other issue. Magneto's shields have never been broken, even against the might of people like Galactus and Phoenix.

So...it sounds as though there is still the yellow weakness. But GL has to concentrate on overcoming it. So Magneto couldn't surround GL with yellow light and expect him to go down, BUT, it that weakness could still be exploited if Magneto impales GL with a yellow spear out of nowhere. Magneto is the master of colors...this fight just gets easier and easier for him. And I haven't even started with the OTHER powers Magneto has...

Avalonofthewind
That's nice. Kyle still gets his constructs shattered every other issue. Magneto's shields have never been broken, even against the might of people like Galactus and Phoenix.

So...it sounds as though there is still the yellow weakness. But GL has to concentrate on overcoming it. So Magneto couldn't surround GL with yellow light and expect him to go down, BUT, it that weakness could still be exploited if Magneto impales GL with a yellow spear out of nowhere. Magneto is the master of colors...this fight just gets easier and easier for him. And I haven't even started with the OTHER powers Magneto has...

Thats ridiculous. If Galactus or Phoenix truly wanted mags dead, they would break through his shields without effort. Either mags is very strong or those 2 are very very weak.

Also, we are not talking about "every other issue" with PIS. What Kyle and Hal have done tops anything I have seen Mags do.
Can mags get knocked through a planet unharmed?

Solaris had shields against EVERYTHING, he's way way above mags, and kyle got through his field. Don't tell me mags will hold back hal if he wants to get in.

demigawd
Originally posted by Avalonofthewind
Thats ridiculous. If Galactus or Phoenix truly wanted mags dead, they would break through his shields without effort. Either mags is very strong or those 2 are very very weak.

I'd go for the former, which means that you're underestimating Mags. they tried and failed. So he's got a pretty damn good shield.

Impossible to say. Mags has never had a battle in space. He tends to keep his terrorism domestic. But if his field can hold up against two of the most powerful forces in the universe, what's a little planet going to do?

How can you say his shields are way, way above Mags when Mags hasn't been broken and his has? That's like saying, "Solaris has invincible shields! They're completely impervious to any damage whatsoever! Nothing can ever break through them! And Kyle broke it!"

well then, if Kyle broke it, it's unbreakable, is it?

So while Kyle or Hal or whatever other GL you're throwing at Mags tries to "figure out" some way around his shields, they get impaled from behind by a large metal pole, or find their bodies turned against him, or find their minds switched off, or find themselves battling a black hole, or ALL OF THE ABOVE. Magneto isn't Polaris - he's not just going to run around shooting magnetic energy at Hal like Polaris did (even though Polaris was pretty successful at doing just that). This is a whole new level of strategy. Hal is out of his depth.

Avalonofthewind
I'd go for the former, which means that you're underestimating Mags. they tried and failed. So he's got a pretty damn good shield.

Impossible to say. Mags has never had a battle in space. He tends to keep his terrorism domestic. But if his field can hold up against two of the most powerful forces in the universe, what's a little planet going to do?

How can you say his shields are way, way above Mags when Mags hasn't been broken and his has? That's like saying, "Solaris has invincible shields! They're completely impervious to any damage whatsoever! Nothing can ever break through them! And Kyle broke it!"

well then, if Kyle broke it, it's unbreakable, is it?

So while Kyle or Hal or whatever other GL you're throwing at Mags tries to "figure out" some way around his shields, they get impaled from behind by a large metal pole, or find their bodies turned against him, or find their minds switched off, or find themselves battling a black hole, or ALL OF THE ABOVE. Magneto isn't Polaris - he's not just going to run around shooting magnetic energy at Hal like Polaris did (even though Polaris was pretty successful at doing just that). This is a whole new level of strategy. Hal is out of his depth.

I dont have the patience to sit and quote everything seperately so I hope you understand what I write.

1st...do you honestly believe that Mags shields could really stop Galactus or Phoenix from getting in and destroying him if they really wanted?

2nd - The "little planet" (actually a sun) has all of magnetos power and much much more.

3rd - I didnt say Kyle broke it..he didnt, he used the ring to get through. Everyone else was attacking Solaris at full power and nobody else could do a thing to his shield. Do you think Mags shields are truly that strong? Can he hold up to hundreds of superheroes of varying powers and abilities simulataneously? These were 853rd century heroes too...ridiculously overpowered heroes.

4th - The black hole thing is useless....its what Kyle was going to use against solaris, but Solaris had a defense for that too...

Hal is supposed to be much stronger than this. Mags has impressive control, but the ring lets you do virtually ANYTHING as long as you have the willpower. There is no comparison dude.

demigawd
All I'm saying is, we don't know the upper limit of Magneto's forcefield because it's never been found. Could Galactus or Phoenix have kept blasting and eventually gotten through? Maybe...but would it have taken one shot? two? 10? 1000? It's unknown. Either way, they operate at a higher offensive level than any GL, so it throws the idea that they could simply overpower Magneto's forcefield out the window.

How did Kyle use the ring to get through? What happened?

Besides, Kyle got through the forcefield of a being who was busy fighting dozens of heroes. that's a big difference from a Solaris who is only fighting Kyle. think Kyle could do it to a Solaris when nobody else is around and Solaris has nothing to do BUT kill Kyle? Nope. So the example means nothing.

Magneto isn't opening a black hole against Solaris, he's opening it against Green Lantern. And while GL *could* survive this, he's going to require all his effort and concentration to do so. Magneto has lots of other things he can do to distract him, mainly involving the color yellow. Magneto just has too many weapons for any one GL to deal with at one time.

Avalonofthewind
All I'm saying is, we don't know the upper limit of Magneto's forcefield because it's never been found. Could Galactus or Phoenix have kept blasting and eventually gotten through? Maybe...but would it have taken one shot? two? 10? 1000? It's unknown. Either way, they operate at a higher offensive level than any GL, so it throws the idea that they could simply overpower Magneto's forcefield out the window.

How did Kyle use the ring to get through? What happened?

Besides, Kyle got through the forcefield of a being who was busy fighting dozens of heroes. that's a big difference from a Solaris who is only fighting Kyle. think Kyle could do it to a Solaris when nobody else is around and Solaris has nothing to do BUT kill Kyle? Nope. So the example means nothing.

Magneto isn't opening a black hole against Solaris, he's opening it against Green Lantern. And while GL *could* survive this, he's going to require all his effort and concentration to do so. Magneto has lots of other things he can do to distract him, mainly involving the color yellow. Magneto just has too many weapons for any one GL to deal with at one time.

I said Kyle was going to open a black hole against solaris. You misunderstood that. The black hole thing is worthless since a GL can do it too.

Kyle just got through somehow... I cant explain it. Comicbook logic I guess. He got through though. Nobody else could do jack to get in or do anything to it. Mags should be a cakewalk.

There is no "maybe" about Galactus and Phoenix. If they want, they will get through, or just turn him into a pile of rocks. (Kg's favorite example)
Either the author was stupid, or it was a hell of bad PIS to make Mags look good.

demigawd
Funny how you dismiss Magneto withstanding Galactus and Phoenix attacks as PIS but then you hold up Kyle getting through Solaris as being valid despite there being no explanation for it whatsoever, lol.

Unlike Kyle inexplicably getting around forcefields for no reason at all, Magneto withstanding an attack from Galactus or Phoenix isn't PIS. Magneto withstood an attack from Galactus TWICE. It means he can always block at least one shot from Galactus. How many more he can survive is unknown, but my point is...if he can take that, he can take whatever GL dishes out, unless you're saying GL hits like Galactus now, lol.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.