'Doom' Discussion Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pandemoniac
The movie has been finished, and in contradiction to the news that came out in the beginning; they stuck to the original story, made it rated R and avoided as much CGI as possible (they got the creature crew from Aliens aboard!).
The trailer is ok so far, although it reveales no good glimpse at the monsters yet. But it seems it's gonna be a fairly gory and scary flick.
I really had my doubts on this one, but it just might turn out to be pretty decent after all.

Take a peek at www.doommovie.com

beta-wolf_101
I geuss it is classified as creature horror but it could turn out to be like a hunter stalker thing so I say thumbs up looks good.

Pandemoniac
It even includes, as said to be, a very cool sequence filmed in first-person view, in which a bunch of zombies and creeps get shot apart by a space marine, trough who's eyes the action is shown. Just like it is in the game. Pretty cool touch by my opinion.

Cinemaddiction
I'm guessing Sci Fi.

MildPossession
Rated R for strong violence/gore and language

Ooo er.

Pandemoniac
Bloody-Disgusting got hold of more stills than displayed on the movie site itself. A few better peeks at the ghouls for example. Yup, I'd just might go and see this one in the theaters.

Dr. Octagon
looks good.

pr1983
Could be one of the better game to movie conversions...

The Highlord
hehehe that aint a ghoul bro, by the looks its a Hell Knight, but the size dosent add up... maybe they desided to make that the imp then again they dont do that, they use claws and fireblas Hell Knights use brute force and hell plasma balls, oh well it may be a fun watch after all, to see my mosnters on real screen hehehe

beta-wolf_101
What the hell are you talking about? What the f**k?

tabby999
they're trying to figure out if that screen shot is of a Hell Knight. looking good, i was expecting nothing from this movie, but it could be rather nifty, specially if its copped a R rating

MildPossession
to see 'my' monsters on the real screen?

The Highlord
well I love those creeps, hehe I like to draw them and all, its just gonna be fun to see how they'l look on the screen big grin

ragesRemorse
unless that is the worst trailer ever made. This movie is going to be as bad as the trailer makes it look.

magic_hate_ball
pick up this months Fangoria...it has quite a few stills with some of the ghoulies we know and have grown to love.....eek!

b-dan
i havent played the games but the movie looks sweet!!! eek!

shewolf34
I played the game when it first came out on the computer and loved it. The movie looks really cool but I would not consider it a horror it looks more like a si fi movie plus I cant image the Rock playing in a horror film any ways

b-dan
ya me either

Pandemoniac
It can go either way. I still have the 'this movie will suck like nothing that has ever sucked before' option open in my mind, the opinion I had when I got the first news about the film. But judging the trailers and stills, it just might turn out ok. The trailer is A) just a little teaser and the total movie could be something like Aliens, or B) the trailer shows all the 'goodies' allready in which case the movie will be soooo bad.
The thing is, the idea has potential and could be put to screen as a cool flick, so I remain interested

Myth
Does anybody else think the 1st person shooter part looks horrible? They obviously use a ton of CGI during that scene and the CGI makes it look like it literally is the video game. I don't want to watch a video game, I want to watch a movie damn it.

Mandorallen
I totally agree myth.

IF I wanted to watch a movie, I would go see a movie, If I wanted to play a video game, I WOULD PLAY A ****IN VIDEOGAME!

Hit_and_Miss
why have they changed the story??

It was transporter tech they were working on... No some gene experiment... Does rock get a soul cube?

jayy
I think DOOM will be a great movie with huge DVD sales. All the extras and goodies.

The more video game / movies, the better. I want TUROK the movie to be made by DREAMWORKS! Yeah!!

http://myprivatesexsite.com/uploads/post-1-1124734365.gif

Hit_and_Miss
i liked the way they showed a first person view in the trailers... but at the same time it kinda looked corny... I'm not sure... I can see why they put in the squad (Cannon Fodder) I bet you the only one of those men alive at the end is the rock... give him 5mins and he will have the BFG...

Myth
I bet Urban will live and the Rock will die.

Hit_and_Miss
nar... Rock will get the soul cube... and "rock bottom" the hell deamons onto it...

tpaquin
I saw the trailer the other night on the big screen....

...it's not fun to watch other people play video games.

Not fun at all.

jerlark386
Originally posted by jayy

http://myprivatesexsite.com/uploads/post-1-1124734365.gif

Umm, you do know this is a pg-13 forum right?

Myth
I don't know if he knows or not, but I'm glad I saw it before it gets deleted.

jayy
Sorry.

Lana
I think I'm definitely going to have to see this.

I'm not surprised that the story was changed, that ALWAYS happens. I just want to see how the monsters look on-screen...especially the Hell Knights. Too bad from the sounds of it good old Cyberdemon won't be making an appearance....

I need to play Doom again I think big grin

And I love the bit in the radio ad where the Rock says "We're going to need a bigger gun", then you hear the BFG and he goes "Holy shi...."

Myth
Everytime I see the commercials on TV, I can't help but laugh that they have a monster in a wheel chair or something. laughing

Next Venom_girl
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
why have they changed the story??

It was transporter tech they were working on... No some gene experiment... Does rock get a soul cube?
It said the Rock plays Sarge, who if they stick to the plot of the game becomes a rather nasty Boss. I bet the one called the Kid is the one who gets the Soul Cube.

Hit_and_Miss
Oh yer... I remember that now! he was that tank guy....

"The Rock was offered the lead role of John Grimm, but chose the role of Sarge because he thought it was more interesting"

Is the quote I found.... Whos playing John Grimm??

Cringe
Is it true that the movie will feature alot of first-person shots?Because that would be annoying.

IRTMU-Dragon
Guess you guys are "uneducated" about Doom? Eh?

Well, I wish I still had the link, but there was an interview with someone from ID Software, and he talked about how the movie is Rated R because the gore would frighten small children?
He said the movie shows a marine walking on grated flooring, and suddenly hes pulled down through it like spaghetti, and he said thats light compared to everything else.

The Rock ISNT the main Marine, Karl Urban is, and the BFG is "the biggest gun in movie history" because it takes up like, 4 feet.

What your seeing in that picture is a Baron of Hell pulling the marine from the pipe, there are no Hell Knights, which would explain the size difference, Baron of Hell is as close as this movie comes to a Hell Knight.

Theres about a 4 minute scene of First Person in the movie towards the end, so no, not much of the movie is first person.

And thats it for now. Guys, lets try not to be TO critical of the movie before we even see it, try to look upon it as, they actually thought about the fans, and made a movie.

Later

Cringe
4 minutes!Oh god.

Lana
That's a Baron of Hell? Doesn't much look like one....

IRTMU-Dragon
Well, the interview said there are no Hell Knights in the movie, the closest it will come is a Baron of Hell.

So I dont know what that is if you dont think it looks like a Baron, and is too small to be a hell knight.

Lana
It says on the Official Site that there will be Demons, Imps, Barons, and Hell Knights.

Only thing that that thing even somewhat resembles is an Imp, but they'd throw fireballs until they're up close and then attack with their claws....so I'm not sure what it is.

I remember Barons being larger, anyway....

chop_suey
i dont think it looks that good at all i think the rock shouldnt be in it and that it should stay a video game u saw what they did to resident evil

IRTMU-Dragon
The doom movie has a very low budget. The Rock is the only actually famous and known star they could get, so they went with him because versus some unknown "karl urban" they now can say "Doom... Starring The Rock" So, hes a cheap star that everyone in america knows of.

Pandemoniac
Karl Urban has been around, and has been in better parts compared to the rock. He's a co-star thereby getting less credit, that's all,

forumcrew
I saw it tonight. Ill start by saying I thought it was going to be horrible, I had only negative expectations for this movie.. yet I went anyway (invited to a screening) And I actually enjoyed it. Its not a very good movie but it was pretty entertaining for me. The odd thing was that most of the people I was with who were very excited to see it did not like it. But there was clapping at the end if that counts for anything. It was a very similar type of movie to resident evil (the first one) and I thought this was considerably better.

IRTMU-Dragon
Saw it. Amazing.

I came in expecting it to be great, and it went past my expectations. I was pumped the entire film, I was just going nuts. It was so awesome, and I was with the uber-nerds infront of me when we all squeezed our hands together and squelled when The Rock sees the BFG for the first time.

WindDancer
Saw it last night.

Pretty Okay, I did like the Rock's role in this movie. Plus it had a great opening with all the scientists running scare from the monsters. There is a scene in which a woman's arm gets trap in the elevator door. It was pretty neat.

And yes, if you're wondering about the Predator referrence (marines send to invistigate a problem) it is somewhat similar. And same thing with the Aliens (monsters hidding in the dark and popping out) referrence. All those similarities are all pack in this movie. But don't let that bother you as you watch the film. It was entertaining and lots of blood. So you can either watch it on the big screen or wait for the dvd. Pick one and see it.

IRTMU-Dragon
It wasnt an elevator, lol, it was the girls arm stuck in the door, and a monster pulling at her body.

Onikirimaru
I was surprised that the FPS part was freaking awesome. Good movie, but I was told that they stuck to the video game plot, when this isnt exactly the game plot. Im glad I heard wrong though, otherwise I wouldnt have gone to see it.

Silverstein
how is the FPS thing in the movie???
-well done?
-my friend thinks the FPS view will be a chunk of the movie, but how long do you think its for...just 1 action segment??

DarkC
Apparently it's only for 9 minutes. My friend saw it this weekend, said it was amazing.

Pandemoniac
I'll have to wait a couple of days before Doom hits the theaters here, but the knowledge of the movie abandoning the gate to hell issue will have me stay put and wait for the DVD to be out for rent. Not gonna spend money on seeing it on the big screen, my mind's made up.

Next Venom_girl
I saw it this afternoon. It was pretty cool. The 1st person scenes were awesome. cool
But... no soulcube--damn you! I feel so cheated. sad

Bicnarok
Probably because the badies are virus freaks and not demons. Damn

Pandemoniac
Yeah, that turned the tide for me as well. Why the hell did they go for such a absurd storyline while the one provided by the game was sufficient enough by far for this concept? If you want to put a game to the screen, stay loyal to the tale, or f*cking think of a good story yourself! Don't adapt a scenario and screw it over thinking your idea's beat the expectations of the fans.

stingray005
The 1st person shooter part was pretty cool, but for me it just made the movie seem, well not like a real movie. It was good but I wouldn't want to see something like this in the Halo movie if you know what I mean.

Hit_and_Miss
I enjoyed the movie... But I thought they were a little long in getting to the action..."...If they make another dam room as all clear,... I'm gonner scream...."

The BFG... So so... Looked like the rocket launcher from UT...
Sorry But Ash's Boomstick is still the best gun used in a movie...

The storyline... blah.. Typical dead coming back to life... Why couldn't they just go.. WAM!!!! theres demons!!!! at least they would of stuck to the storyline... I mean does anyone remember doom??? did that game even have an intro???

FPS bit was interesting... I liked it alot more then I thought I would... but I couldn't stop thinking "now if only games had graphics like that..."

stingray005
that's exactly what I was thinking...

Next Venom_girl
Doom I and II had the red-text paragraph intro before the game explaining there are demons.
Ultimate Doom had a slight introduction to show the dynamics between the different characters and forshadow the main action but it was pretty much boom the base is overrun with demons and zombies go kill them.

Hit_and_Miss
Doom is still a great game! (I was playing it earler) simple but fun.....

But its not like modern games where you have a 1 hour intro, 1/2 hour tutorial... and 2 starter levels..... where at the end you might get a better gun....

I still really enjoy playing....

All I remember of the storyline is the end... Where it goes..
"huh so you though you have excaped??.... no chance.. everyone dies...."

Bardock42
I saw it Two weeks ago and I personally enjoyed it very much. I liked the Karl Urban very much as John Grimm. And the other actors were pretty good too. So it was a lot of fun imo.

ragesRemorse
i would have said it to be a decent movie if it werent ripping off resident evil. Was the concept of demons to absurd for the filmakers? I truly beleive had they focused the story around the actual story that drove the video game, we would have had a better movie.

SaTsuJiN
yes indeed.. the whole 'cracking the human genome' is nothing more than a coverup for the steaming pile it truely is... why arent the developers and game artists ever involved in creating the movie?.. I honestly would rather watch a 2 hour cutscene from the game engine, than watch the rock try to act... sick

Frag Maniac
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
The movie has been finished, and in contradiction to the news that came out in the beginning; they stuck to the original story, made it rated R and avoided as much CGI as possible (they got the creature crew from Aliens aboard!).
The trailer is ok so far, although it reveales no good glimpse at the monsters yet. Actually about the only thing they changed last minute in making it original was it taking place on Mars. The creatures origin is not of Hell as per the original story though, which is where it loses much of the Doom scariness IMO. To make matters worse, they stuck with the copycat scenario of viral outbreak causing mutations, a military project gone wrong apparently, as if that hadn't been overdone already.

I did see a clip that showed a Pinky though, and I must admit the monster part of what I saw looked OK. It has received good reviews from some, but only as far as it's action, most everyone says the story sucks.

Now you can be flexible and agree with what one reviewer said and accept that movies of action video games are about the acrtion, not the story, but why settle? There's simply no legitimate reeaon so many potentially good projects are turned to crap by the movie industry.

Doom's story is both immersive, well told, and suspensfull, especially in Doom3. The details of the ancient alien civilization and the technology they developed, as well as the horde of demons they fought and the resulting sacrifice of their entire race is a compelling and unique story, ruined by this excuse of a plot they turned it into.

You know, it's ironic that so many people say that video games are causing people to be shallow and introverted, when so many of them saying it are movie goers gushing over special effects and hyped up screen stars dubbed as sex symbols.

SaTsuJiN
I think rotten tomatoes just bout sums it up http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/doom/

Cinemaddiction
I got a hold of this on DVD, being the Unrated Extended Edition, and I couldn't bare but 35 minutes of it. I never had incredibly high hopes for it to begin with, but from the opening, scientist scrambling through an office, it had "Resident Evil" written all over it, which wasn't necessarily a negative.

This movie, in a word, was shit. It started off with an 80's-ish opening score, then went downhill from there. Introduction of cardboard cutout, cliche "marine" fill-in's, some oversized weapondry, and uninspired dialogue, with no semblence to the eerie, brooding characters in "Doom 3" all of which pretty much set the tone for the rest of the film.

I did fast-forward to the end, after enduring a grueling 35 minutes of boring one-liners and a plot almost identical to "Alien", and got just what I expected. Karl Urban's "Reaper" character was asked to stay behind, but took on the mission anyway, and was the only one to survive the whole fiasco. Rock died, so there probably won't be a sequel, thank god.

I don't think even the video game crowd will geek out to this one. It's just that bad. If you do decided to give this a spin, get the Theatrical version. The Unrated cut has an addition 13 minutes, which is like being on Death Row, and asking for a lethal injection WHILE you're on the electric chair. Why submit yourself to even more torture....

SnakeEyes
Oh man! Now I have to rent it!

Silverstein
i thought this movie was decent. the 24 chromosone steroid thing slightly separates it from the virul infection thing but not really. i thought it was entertaining.

Aries_04
Like it or not.....The Rock did a great job acting in this one....I for one liked it.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I got a hold of this on DVD, being the Unrated Extended Edition, and I couldn't bare but 35 minutes of it. I never had incredibly high hopes for it to begin with, but from the opening, scientist scrambling through an office, it had "Resident Evil" written all over it, which wasn't necessarily a negative.

This movie, in a word, was shit. It started off with an 80's-ish opening score, then went downhill from there. Introduction of cardboard cutout, cliche "marine" fill-in's, some oversized weapondry, and uninspired dialogue, with no semblence to the eerie, brooding characters in "Doom 3" all of which pretty much set the tone for the rest of the film.

I did fast-forward to the end, after enduring a grueling 35 minutes of boring one-liners and a plot almost identical to "Alien", and got just what I expected. Karl Urban's "Reaper" character was asked to stay behind, but took on the mission anyway, and was the only one to survive the whole fiasco. Rock died, so there probably won't be a sequel, thank god.

I don't think even the video game crowd will geek out to this one. It's just that bad. If you do decided to give this a spin, get the Theatrical version. The Unrated cut has an addition 13 minutes, which is like being on Death Row, and asking for a lethal injection WHILE you're on the electric chair. Why submit yourself to even more torture....

Yep. Pretty much sums up this whole shitfest.

This movie was Resident Evil.

Frag Maniac put it best, they could easily made a more interesting story if they stuck to the whole Doom story (even if it wasnt that good to begin with).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.