The Evangelist (read for details)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KingDubya
This RP game will be based on a book I am currently writing. The story of the RP will progress as I finish more of the book, and I frequently get writer's block, so don't blame me if nothing happens for days.

The book is about a world where Satan is in charge and God is too weak to do anything (the story will eventually be on FictionPress.com so you can read about why that happened). You will play as a character in league with the main character, Leon Hessner (who I will play as). Create your characters and, if they are fully developed and are full and rounded characters, I may put them into the story (I'll give you credit if he/she gets in).

Remember, the world this takes place in is modern (about 2000-2010) and Satanism is the leading religion. You are a Christian geting ready to fight whoever gets in your way. Swords and bows are unlikely weapons and if you have them, you must give a really good reason why or you must recreate your character. Most likely people will have axes (the lumberjack type), guns, chainsaws, baseball bats; anything you can use today as a weapon. Except for military-grade weaponry. That is strictly off-limits to EVERYONE! (including me; enemies are an exception)

Characters will be created in a way I have yet to develop. If anyone has any objections to any content of this (the fact that God can't do anything or something) please do not get this thread locked. As I said, there will be a perfectly good explanation when I post the Prologue for the story. And if you need it immediately, email me ([email protected]) and I will send you the prologue through that so you can get the info ahead of time. Just make the subject "Evangelist RP".

I hope that when it starts we can have lots of fun, a few laughs, and that I might get a few new ideas for the story.

KingDubya
For Ushgarak to read:

I didn't realize that I had to post the idea in that top thread first, so please forgive me. I just thought "This'd be cool to do" and I wasn't thinking.

Saratn
I'm sure it'll be alright...i am interested in it...i would like to join when Ush approves it...unless it has already...

KingDubya
Originally posted by Saratn
I'm sure it'll be alright...i am interested in it...i would like to join when Ush approves it...unless it has already...

It's not approved yet, but thanks for checking it out. If anyone wants to read the prologue for this, I have it posted in the General Fiction Area on this site. You can post comments about it there or PM me. I might have the character development details done by the end of the week.

Saratn
i will be waiting then...i already checked it out, and it is amazing.

feralboy
me too

KingDubya
NEW DETAILS: You can be, instead of just Christian, Jewish or Muslim for the game. If you make a Jew or Muslim, you must make the name reasonable for the religion your character follows (like have a Muslim name for a Muslim character) to make it somewhat realistic.

Saratn
ok...hope Ush approves it...

Ushgarak
Sigh... very wlel, but my patience for games sidestepping the permission system here is getting very thin.

KingDubya
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Sigh... very wlel, but my patience for games sidestepping the permission system here is getting very thin.

Thank you so much. It's just that on other forums I've been to, there wasn't the approval thing you have here, and I didn't know about it. Again, thank you.

Bardiel13
Cool stuff! Can't wait for this to start. I'll give you my character stats when I think up something good, like I said. rock

KingDubya
The rules are almost finished. I just need to do some fine-tuning then we will be on our way!

KingDubya
First thing. It'll be easy if everyone uses the same symbols for OOC (out-of-character for those who don't know) and speech and everything else:

-Asterisks (*) on both sides of any OOC.
ex: *Can we please get going with the story?*
-Quotation marks ("wink on both sides of any speech.
ex: "Let's move it!"
-Angle brackets (< and &gtwink for thoughts.
ex: <What is that guy doing?>
-Anything else would be narration.
ex: Leon reaches for his cross to hold the demons back.

If this is too restricting for you, then when you make the character, specify what you'll use for each type.

Wickerman
I'm quite interested. However, seeing as how it's almost midnight now and i'm helluva tired, i'll bring some details tomorrow. Peace out.

ps: the thing that got me interested was obviously the title of the thread, which coincides with my Title....the one i've had on every single forum i've been to laughing out loud

~wickerman~

leana marie
wow that sounds really interesting, i would love to join if i new how. i dont thought. if i figure it out can i be buddhist? because in a world like that a buddhist would be very conflicted and confusion is my middle name confused . heh. please?

Bardiel13
Originally posted by leana marie
wow that sounds really interesting, i would love to join if i new how. i dont thought. if i figure it out can i be buddhist? because in a world like that a buddhist would be very conflicted and confusion is my middle name confused . heh. please?

Probably not gonna happen... I was barking up the same tree and he said that you must be Christian, Jewish, or Islamic. The point of the story is to get people to believe in God, so I guess that makes sense... no expression

leana marie
how about athiest then because i can do that, im a devote athiest, though if i had to have a religion i would be buddhist.

Trickster
Um, this looks interesting - have you got any more details on character creation (ie an example character)

KingDubya
how about athiest then because i can do that, im a devote athiest, though if i had to have a religion i would be buddhist.
No atheists! For Christ's sake, you need to believe in the god of the Christians, Jews, and Muslims! The whole point is to give strength to him! An atheist helping to give power to God makes no sense at all! You must be Christian, Jewish, or Islamic!

Originally posted by Trickster
Um, this looks interesting - have you got any more details on character creation (ie an example character)
I'm almost done with those. I just have a Chem project intervening with my free time. The rules might be up by next month. Sorry it's taking so long. Blame my Chem teacher for giving me a realy hard project...

lost prophet
I've got to hand it to you. This is interesting.

Bardiel13

Wow... I'm the exact same way. Except I'm just agnostic. stick out tongue

Spelljammer
SpellJammer would love to play a partof this rpg, infact this reminds him of Legend of The Five Rings, where whichever gamers and thier clan decks won, would effect the plotline of the books.. SpellJammer will explain his character here if that's alright with you..

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/images/stories/zeldainfo/races/subrosian.jpg
Sefirot.
Sefirot is a Jewish mystic, he trusts that God speaks to him and follows the commands given. Sefirot is believed by many to be part of the larger scale of doomsayers called Satanists. They accuse him of heresy because he reads the Torah with his sinful hands, and he freely does spells and magick and proclaiming it's God's gift to man. He sports a large staff with a purple crystal at the tip. The populace of the majority doesn't seem to care about Sefirot's presence, they feel he's okay because he blasphemizes The Word of God, but he perhaps more then any one else is dead set on bringing the revolution of Christ's return. Jews may not believe in Christ: The savior. But beggers can't be choosy. As he said to his best Baptist friend when he was very young.

"I don't trust you you know. You pevert your religon with your own ideas and theories. ~Freind."
"I don't want your trust, I want your help. Leave your faith for The Lord.. ~Sefirot."

KingDubya
Originally posted by Spelljammer
SpellJammer would love to play a partof this rpg, infact this reminds him of Legend of The Five Rings, where whichever gamers and thier clan decks won, would effect the plotline of the books.. SpellJammer will explain his character here if that's alright with you..

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/images/stories/zeldainfo/races/subrosian.jpg
Sefirot.
Sefirot is a Jewish mystic, he trusts that God speaks to him and follows the commands given. Sefirot is believed by many to be part of the larger scale of doomsayers called Satanists. They accuse him of heresy because he reads the Torah with his sinful hands, and he freely does spells and magick and proclaiming it's God's gift to man. He sports a large staff with a purple crystal at the tip. The populace of the majority doesn't seem to care about Sefirot's presence, they feel he's okay because he blasphemizes The Word of God, but he perhaps more then any one else is dead set on bringing the revolution of Christ's return. Jews may not believe in Christ: The savior. But beggers can't be choosy. As he said to his best Baptist friend when he was very young.

"I don't trust you you know. You pevert your religon with your own ideas and theories. ~Freind."
"I don't want your trust, I want your help. Leave your faith for The Lord.. ~Sefirot."
Good background, except for the fact that there is no magic/magick/magik: it's more like divine power that God has lent you for the time. And if you were openly Jewish/Christian/Muslim, the Satanists would torture you for eternity (you'd know that if you read the prologue in the General Fiction Area).

But the picture's awesome! big grin

Bardiel13
Okay, I finally got my character description done!

Mohammed Sadin
Age Unknown (Believed to be ranging from 22-26)
Muslim (obviously)
Mohammed Sadin is a somewhat of a hermit as he has no home and wears tattered black pants, long combat boots and black biker gloves. He has no shirt, save a belt that wraps around his waist and across his chest and back diagonally. His face is concealed below the nose by a ragged cloak that covers his torso. On his chest is a yellow tattoo with a purple outline of the crescent moon and star of Islam. He has wavy brownish-black hair and his eyes glow red for some reason. Most believe that he harbors a demon of sorts.
Strapped to his back is a large, golden crescent-bladed sword that looks incredibly heavy, yet Sadin (and only Sadin) seems to wield it with ease. If melee combat is out of the question, he can resort to guns (twin Desert Eagles), hand-to-hand, or improvised weaponry (pool cues, chairs and beyond).

For a more vivid image, PM me for the image stats on the Hero Machine 2.0.

leana marie
okay if i can play then i will be christian because i am in a christian youth group and i get a god lovin vibe from them... okay?? hey, can my character be older than me? do i have to tell you my character description yet or can i wait till we actually play?

Trickster
The idea is you come up with an idea for a character and give a basic description - as a fictional character, they can normally be any sex or age, though KD may overrule that.

I'm waiting for another post from him to post my character, to be honest.

leana marie
okay so i have my char description all down and all that!! i even drew a picture of her!! just waiting for the host dude to say i can play and to start.

Trickster
Bump. KD?

KingDubya
I'm sorry guys. I have some stupid Chem project in the way and I haven't been able to work on the rules much. I should be able to finish it soon. It just needs a little fine tuning with the occupations (they'll work like classes from D&D)

Trickster
Okay, I'll wait, to create my character, I think.

leana marie
im gonna be a medic!! (healer)

KingDubya
Okay, the rules are goin to take longer than I thought. They are going to be extensive, so instead of posting a thread, I'll just make a site on freewebs. They're going to take long mainly because I need to copy a large amount of stuff out of my D&D handbooks to create the occupations and make the list of spells.
im gonna be a medic!! (healer)
The closest you can be to a medic/healer is by taking the priest occupation and focusing on healing/support spells.

UPDATE: I've decided not to be too strict on religion. If you wish to have a religion other than Christianity, Judaism, or Islam, the only restrictions are that you need a really good reason for helping Leon in your background and you can't be a magic-type occupation if you are atheist, though I will have some pros to being atheist put into the game (one being that the enemy can't convert you, even through divine, or magical, means).

Bardiel13
Hey, could we, say, be on the bad guy side and worship the Dark Lord? Not that I want to, I already have a character. But, would it be possible?

Trickster
I'm going to be a Christian. I'll develop the rest of my character when the rules come up.

KingDubya
Originally posted by Bardiel13
Hey, could we, say, be on the bad guy side and worship the Dark Lord? Not that I want to, I already have a character. But, would it be possible?
Maybe, but it would be really hard to manage that since I would have to keep track of both sides of the story. Also the fact that we'd end up figthing that hypothetical person wouldn't help too much.

KingDubya
UPDATE: The "magic" will work in a system similar to that of Dungeons & Dragons (I will take a lot of ideas from them). Depending on your occupation (class) and how powerful you are (basically, level) you will be able to cast more spells per day and gain access to more powerful spells. I'm not very good at explaining stuff, so if you want an in-depth explanation of a lot of the stuff, try checking out the Player's Handbook for D&D.

Occupation names are finished (though the specs are still in progress). They are Evangelist, Bouncer, Soldier, Thief, and Priest. The Evangelist will work similar to the sorcerer or cleric from D&D, Bouncer and Soldier like the fighter, Thief like the rogue, and Priest like the wizard. Since the Evangelist is the most balanced out of the five, I will only allow three other people to choose that occupation. If you wish, you can create your own, but you would need to PM me the specs to see if I'll approve.

Trickster
Could I possiby be one of the Evangelists?

Bardiel13
Soldier for me, no question! big grin

leana marie
im an evangalist!!

KingDubya
That's two spots taken. Only one left; who wants it?
Soldier for me, no question! big grin
This might not change your mind on that, but the bouncer is for melee combat, while the soldier likes using guns. You'll probably still stick with soldier, though.

Bardiel13
Well, my character is proficiant with guns and swords, so I dunno what he'd fit under... confused

KingDubya
Soldier still fits. You normally get two weapon group proficiencies (one from your occupation's list, one of your choice), but the soldier and bouncer get two from their lists.

UPDATE: I've decided to put down the weapon groups and the lists for each occupation (don't worry, I'll group all the rules together on a freewebs site, or in a new thread once I'm done).
Weaopn groups are Handguns, Rifles, Shotguns, Swords (sword-like items, such as metal poles, go under this), Staffs (staff-like items go here), Knives (screwdrivers, chisels, and the like are here), Axes (chainsaws are here, for some reason), Thrown (that means any weaopns you can throw at them), and Improvised Weapons (anything not meant to be a weapon).

Evangelists can choose from Swords or Staffs.
Soldiers can choose two from Handguns, Rifles, Shotguns, Thrown, or Axes.
Bouncers can choose two from Swords, Staffs, Axes, Thrown, or Handguns.
Thieves can choose Knives, Thrown, or Swords.
Priests can only choose Staffs.

Bardiel13
Okay, then. Bouncer for me.

Trickster
I'll have a rapier.

Bump, too.

KingDubya
I'll have a rapier.

Bump, too.
Okay, but you'll need good reason for it. This takes place around 2010, so any bladed weapons won't be found too often...

Trickster
But as an Evangelist... I can have a sword or a staff, yeah? So a rapier...

leana marie
i have a samurai sword can that be my weapon?

KingDubya
But as an Evangelist... I can have a sword or a staff, yeah? So a rapier...
The weapon groups are for weapons similar to that of the name, so you could use sword-LIKE or staff-LIKE weapons.
For instance, let's say random_person made a bouncer and wanted to use axes. Unless he could give me a good reason through PMs, I'd only let him use a chainsaw, the only modern weapon in the ax category. A good reason would be anything such as family heirloom, given to every member of the cult the person belongs to, or something to the effect that they didn't just find or buy it.
i have a samurai sword can that be my weapon?
Same thing applies there; you need a good reason to get any medieval/feudalism era weapons.

I have just remembered a weapon group I forgot to post earlier: bows. It's pretty obvious what goes under here. And crossbows go under rifles (hand crossbows are considered handguns).

KingDubya
Well, my character is proficiant with guns and swords, so I dunno what he'd fit under... confused
Because of the three weapon group proficiencies that bouncers get, you get to choose one more group, Bardiel.

Bardiel13
Improvised Weaponry as stated in the profile.

KingDubya
UPDATE: The Evnagelist occupation is now being modified to work more like the paladin than the sorcerer or cleric. That means a little more focus on fighting and the spells will come at later levels. If you wish to focus more on "magic", go with the priest.

Trickster
Meh, as long as I can chant prayers out loud... I'll stay Evangelist.

Could perhaps my Evangelist be an old noble family from out of Europe? So the sword that won them their title is his weapon. A rapier.

KingDubya
Meh, as long as I can chant prayers out loud... I'll stay Evangelist.

Could perhaps my Evangelist be an old noble family from out of Europe? So the sword that won them their title is his weapon. A rapier.
As long as he didn't just find it, buy it from someone, or did something to that effect.

Trickster
Right. Well that's settled.

leana marie
fine, i wont use a samurai sword, and since im an evengalist, and i can heal, what should my weapon be then? poisons, devised from mixing medicines?

KingDubya
Your weapon could be a staff or a sword-like weapon, such as a length of PVC or bamboo.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.