What'ja think of the novel?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chinabing
Having read the novel, what did you think of it? Did you read it before you saw the movie, or after? Did it answer any un-answered questions from the movie? Anyone read the juvenile novel, it is quite different.

tlbauerle
Y'know...not having read the book...(yet)

I'd actually be interested in what people thought...I haven't read any novel threads lately (pun intended).

Darth Nhilus
I read the book, I liked it but the scenes for the movie weren't the same as the ones that were going on in my head as I read the novel.

Ani's Girl
I read Mathew Stover's book after seeing the movie. It delved into the Force a lot more than you could portray on film, and I liked the background story for the duel between Anakin, Obi, and Dooku. Even the novel was a bit choppy though, but not as much as the movie seems after having read the book.

Darth Nhilus
I read Matthew Stovers novel, it was on sale at wal mart and I really wanted to get it.

jainasolo55
I haven't read the book yet. Does it ruin the movie if u have the book to compare it to?

Moff jango
nah

Dan Skywalker
I really liked the book, it made me wanting more from the movie, but maybe thatll be in the DVD.

DarthLazious
I loved the novel so much.

kalsemo
I thought the novel was pretty decent, the only thing is that like the 1st third of it is all about the opening sequence and the Dooku/Palps/Anakin/Obi-Won action...... the book draws all of that out in great detail then just rushes through the rest of the movie... so the pacing of the book just felt a bit lopsided.

bilb
I refuse to read the novel .. I already love the film & am betting is i read the novel it will just piss me off as to how much stuff they cut out for the movie messed

Sir Mist
Youd be right on that one thumb up
But some stuff is cool, the character back stories and stuff fills in heaps and makes it better to understand why they do certain things...good stuffbig grin

Jedi Priestess
The novel is far and away the best SW book Ive ever read. Im on my second time reading it. There is just so much more description and Anakin's seduction isnt done in what seems like 30 seconds. Excellent EXCELLENT READ.

I did have a kind of feeling like "Damn the movie got butchered!" But then I realised if all that had been in the movie, it would have been 6 hours long.

Moff jango
yeah, the novel was really good

Ani's Girl
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
The novel is far and away the best SW book Ive ever read. Im on my second time reading it. There is just so much more description and Anakin's seduction isnt done in what seems like 30 seconds. Excellent EXCELLENT READ.

I did have a kind of feeling like "Damn the movie got butchered!" But then I realised if all that had been in the movie, it would have been 6 hours long.

I agree. I also like the end where you can explore what Anakin is thinking and feeling after waking up in the Vader suit. I bought the hard cover and the audio book and I must say that Jonathon Davis did a great job on reading it and the different voices. There was also some of John Williams' music in different parts which brought even more feeling to it. I put it on my iPod and like to listen to it in the car.

masterkit
I want to read the novel. not gettin around to it

jainasolo55
I'd like to read it...if i ever find the time. I'm trying to get back into reading again

Will-one Kenobi
The Novel was amazing! I saw Vader in a whole new light at the end when it described what he would always be feeling, I also loved the death of Count Dooku and some of the quotes in it were amazing 'Attack General Kenobi I have been trained in your Jedi arts by Darth Tryanus himself' 'Do you mean Count Dooku how curious I trained the man that killed him'

McCusto
Yeah, there were some parts in the book that I would like to have in the movie, like when General Grievous smashes the Neimodian's head :P

chinabing
My least favorite parts of the book were when the author wrote stuff like "This is what it feels like to be Anakin Skywalker." Talk about hitting the reader over the head, and breaking the flow of the narrative.

Then the whole Holonet stuff... I don't really care about the Galaxy's media. Then the author wrote stuff like the Jedi attack in the Chancellor's office, first by typing a voice output of the spoken words, as if a court reporter were reading back what was spoken! Again the broken narrative.

I would have liked it better if the book flowed better. But there were too many fits and starts.

neo313
Well, the parts I've read were far superior to their corresponding movie scenes.

Example: When Obi1 confronts Grievous on Utapau, Obi1's remarks are far more witty and badass. Just added a couple lines, but it made the scene much cooler.

chinabing
If they had filmed the book exactly as portrayed, "Sith" would have been rated R. It was brutally violent.

Everybody got lightsabered through the skull. Not just bug-creatures like on geonosis, but humanoids' heads chopped off. Like Kit, Saesee and Agen in the attack in the chancellors office. They all die horribly. In the movie it's just a quick swish swish, and it happened so fast I didn't even see which parts of their bodies were hit, but nothing above the neck.

Darth_Emodas
Originally posted by chinabing
If they had filmed the book exactly as portrayed, "Sith" would have been rated R. It was brutally violent.

Everybody got lightsabered through the skull. Not just bug-creatures like on geonosis, but humanoids' heads chopped off. Like Kit, Saesee and Agen in the attack in the chancellors office. They all die horribly. In the movie it's just a quick swish swish, and it happened so fast I didn't even see which parts of their bodies were hit, but nothing above the neck.

Yes, it is important to remember that SW has never been rated R. RoTS was the only movie to earn a PG-13 rating, most likely due to Anakin's immolation. The rest kept a PG, and it needed to be that way to have the full audience.

Unfortunately, this means that sometimes adults are disappointed in a scene that was obviously intended to play out differently but had to be edited/changed for the sake of the children. sad

DiamondBullets

Wurd! That arrest sequence in the novel was bad-ass! It had good dialogue, and Kit Fisto put up a decent struggle and died with a smile.

And that was some fukt-up shit how Dooku called Lord Maul a "beast" and an "animal". whatta speciesist......

My favorite line in the novel:

Shu Mai: PLEASE! Lord Sidious said we would be rewarded handsomely!
Darth Vader: I AM your reward! Am I not handsome!?
...and then he decapitates her!
laughing

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by Darth Sadistic
I put it on my iPod and like to listen to it in the car.

at least you aint on a cell phone......

chinabing
Of course no SW movie has been rated R. But my point was how brutal and violent the book was. I mean, a lightsaber blade through the forehead? please... even in a book I don't want to read that. Let's face it, through the forehead is more brutal than the way Qui-gon bought the farm.

I just didn't like the really violent parts of the novel, it was like I was reading the novelization of Pulp Fiction.

I liked the Dooku parts in the beginning, that was very fun to read, he was very good in the book. But then the book spoils the whole palpatine/sidous development, destroying the drama of its revelation to Anakin... and to us.

I thought the line to shu mai was a little over the top. Zingers don't do a lot for me.

Eleonora
I read the book after the movie and cannot help thinking how badly I would have like some new scenes put in.

Jedi-Kaisa
I read the book before the movie. When the day came to see it I had so much expectations for it then it all came crashing down. It's annoying watching a PG-13 movie after reading a what-should-have-been R rated book.

chinabing
Well, never read a novelization before you go to its movie, that's asking for trouble. The movie itself is the main thing, the novelization should definitely come after because the book is based on and elaborated from the movie. Reading a book first that was a real book is wise, however.

I agree tho Elonora, I'd have liked to see more of what I liked about the book in the movie, more of palpatine's machinations. But true there was a lot of that. I'd have liked to see more of Anakin's turn to Vader in Palp's office.

Jedi-Kaisa
Posted by Chinabing
"Well, never read a novelization before you go to its movie, that's asking for trouble. The movie itself is the main thing, the novelization should definitely come after because the book is based on and elaborated from the movie. Reading a book first that was a real book is wise, however."

Note to self: "Watch movie first THEN read the damn book"

DarthLazious
I can't for its sequel which is known as Dark Lord.

amity75
The book was fantastic. You can't beat Star Wars in more detail. It didn't really occur to me that Anakins mouth and tongue were burned out either. No wonder Vader was always in a bad mood. Have you ever had a mouth ulcer? There's nothing worse.

darthvader_fan
movie is better

reading sucks

amity75
You can't beat the written word.

JediRobin23
book is not 100% accurate, Movie is 100% accurate.
Book was written by some other guy, while GL made the movie his way.

Darth Plageus is may not be Palpatines mentor just cause it was in the book. The movie only had a iomplication. Plageus was a legend, and Palpatines not that old

chinabing
If books that are made from movies called "novelizations," then why aren't movies made from books called "movieizations?"

darthvader_fan
um Darth Plagusis is palpatines master confirmed at starwars.com

Darth Sadistic
Originally posted by DiamondBullets
Wurd! That arrest sequence in the novel was bad-ass! It had good dialogue, and Kit Fisto put up a decent struggle and died with a smile.

And that was some fukt-up shit how Dooku called Lord Maul a "beast" and an "animal". whatta speciesist......

My favorite line in the novel:

Shu Mai: PLEASE! Lord Sidious said we would be rewarded handsomely!
Darth Vader: I AM your reward! Am I not handsome!?
...and then he decapitates her!
laughing

I loved that too, and when Nute Gunray (I think) says Lord Sideous had said they would be left in peace, Vader says, the transmission was garbled, he said you would be left in pieces!

chinabing
Vader says, the transmission was garbled, he said you would be left in pieces!
I'm glad BOTH those line were left out of the movie, they're terrible! It turns Anakin into this mocking, moustache-twirling villian. Like an evil James Bond, letting fly with zingers. Talk about inappropriate humor.

DiamondBullets
I'm glad BOTH those line were left out of the movie. Talk about inappropriate humor.

Why? It's very appropriate. Makes him seem more sadistic and twisted cuz he's enjoying his master's assignment and toying with his prey.

Darth Sadistic
I agree with Diamond, it made the scene better. Also, if anyone has a chance to get the audio novel, Jonathon Davis did a fantastic job at many of the different characters.

chinabing
No way. Sitcom-style puns like that while the hero-gone-bad cracks jokes and decapitates people is just plaing wrong! It is no wonder those lines didn't make it into the movie. I am thankful there are good film editors around... that's what's not inappropriate. People would be howling if they heard those lines in the movie.

I will have to borrow the audiobook from the Li-bary, thank you for the tip.

lourock
it was good

chinabing
I read the Scholastic novelization, it's pretty good. It's the softcover version of the movie... it's not the Stover novelization at all. The cover says it's based on the story and screenplay by Lucas. I got it at Target.

It skips all the slaughterfest of the Stover book. It skips the slaughter of Kit, Agen & Sassae and follows Anakin into the room where Mac & Palpatine are fighting. It also skips the Separatists slaughter on Mustafar, but it read like you weren't missing anything. I liked it that it didn't read like Stover's "Kill Bill" version.

It also added things like at the end of the book, like Obi-Wan and Yoda watched Padme's funeral from the Tantive. It added the fact that Palpatine smiled and told Vader his killed Padme in his anger so that it would bind him to the Dark side forever. (In the Stover book that motivational point is never even mentioned... instead we got the "This is what it feels like to be Anakin" blather.)

It reads more like the screen play, I would definitely recommend picking it up.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.