So what is your favorite lightsaber duel now?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

laos76
I actually can't decide this right now....

I will let you guys start it if anyone does.
it's gotta be between AOTC,TPM & ESB for the top 3. smokin'

LanceWindu
Right now TPM as I have not seen AOTC yet.

laos76
yeah TPM's duel was a big part of what made me see TPM 19 times....
At the time I was saying TPM then ESB for top of the lightsaber duels.

Also hearing the lightsabers in such digital punch was unreal...... smokin'

yerssot
TPM;
very energetic, with a double lightsabre!
much better then the old cripled/machine/boys who learn from them fights big grin

Corran
AOTC - because of Yoda.

finti
Vader vs Luke in ESB

yerssot
ow yes, the classic one, very good choice!

Jedi Master Kai
Well up until AOTC I would have said the final duel in TPM, but after having seen AOTC it has to be the hangar encounter (Dooku, Obi-Wan, Anakin, and of course Yoda), with the highlight being Yoda!
I thought we suddenly saw Dooku go evil, he didnt seem that bad for the first half hour, but when he began taunting Obi-Wan:
"Master Kenobi you disappoint me. Yoda spoke so highly of you."
"Come on, surely you can do better."
Christopher Lee really seemed to bring a ferocious evil to the screen and that made the duel that bit extra fun to watch. Then of course Anakin V Dooku and the flashing lights and that, making it hard to see, that made it more intense.
Then of course beforehand when we saw Yoda and we just heard him say:
"Good, very good commander. Bring me a ship."
I was hoping he was going to join in. Then we had the best encounter ever seen in a film, Yoda Vs Dooku, that was just class.
So definately the Hanger Encounter in Episode II, it made Yoda my favourite character.

yerssot
that dialogue... I can't remember that...

Jedi Master Kai
You cant!?!?!?
Well it was definately there. Ive seen the film 3 times in two days and I know my star wars lol

Corran
I can confirm the dialogue to be correct. It was pretty good as well - Cool is Yoda!

Captain REX
"Come now, Master Kenobi, put me out of my misery!" evil face

Jedi Master Kai
Thank you Corran, and REX, that line wasnt in the movie

Dim
I'm not going to memorize the dialogue until it's out on video/DVD.. laughing out loud

Gundark
*gets quiz ready for Dimmy* laughing out loud

My favorite is still TPM....the only thing I didn't like about that duel was that they didn't talk. Very frustrating. The only thing missing from the final duel in AOTC was the shaft of course. wink

LanceWindu
No need to repeat all aspects of the duels.

Dexx
i can't decide between Aotc's Yoda vs Dooku and Tpm's Obi vs Maul. The TPM looked more real ( as real as u can get in the sw saga ) Yoda was a little like the energizer bunny..but still..great duel

Ushgarak
TPM duel. No contest; it was protracted and virtually thr whole of the end of the film was built around it.

The AOTC duels were nice but I doubt they were designed to be the equal of TPM; certainly less time will have been spent on them. The centrepiece was the arena fight, of course.

I would imagine that ep. iii will top TPM, though.

LanceWindu
That's most definately a given. Lucas will want to bring his series to an end with a huge bang.

yerssot
I don't know... OB1 will move without speed

Gundark
If the lava pit fight comes true I would predict that would the pinnacle of sabre duels....

Emperor Helmet
Don't count on it.

LanceWindu
But with AOTC GL has given fans what they were looking for, and if he knows that we want the lava, maybe he'll use it.

Emperor Helmet
This movie had nothing to do with what the fans wanted. It's what George himself wanted.

Don't give yourself so much credit. We had nothing to do with it.

Ushgarak
I very much agree. GL has never let the fans influence what he wants. People talk about how GL has given into the fans by using less Jar-Jar; that is nonsense, this is always how it waa going to be. The same with the whokle NSYNC thing. I still hear people saying that fan reaction got them cut. What crap!

If GL let fans influence the film it would be full of cloned Darth Maul's...

That said, he does give little nods to the fans in form of cameo appearances of the Death Star and so on, but on the whole, GL does things HIS way.

LanceWindu
You yourself said that he does give nods to the fans.

Ushgarak
Little nods, not whole swathes of plot. If he has an ending planned for Obi-Wan and Anakin then NOTHING the fans say will change that.

LanceWindu
But this stuff is what the fans want!

Ushgarak
So what? You don't write his story for him.

Emperor Helmet
So you can forget about the lava idea. I'm sure that is going to be changed.

laos76
Well I agree Episode III will very likely have the finest lightsaber duel of them all...

It'll probably be the longest fight too! smokin'

LanceWindu
Not fight but duel, cause you could say that AOTC had the longest fight.

Julie
true...the lightsaber battle in TPM was fast....but Yoda was awesome in AOTC

Bespin Bart
Yoda rules. I'm goin to see AOTC with my bro on Wednesday. Isn't that right Rexxie? laughing out loud

LanceWindu
I started calling him that a month or so back but I spelled it REXXY.

Dejio
The duel between Obi-Wan and Darth Maul in TPM was awesome.
Darth Maul rules!

laos76
I was sooooo blown away upon hearing the lightsabers in the cinema when I saw TPM... my god.....

smokin'

finti
give me ESB duell anytime, cool, cunning and Vader was such a bad ass in it.

laos76
Yes agreed I think, however powerful these new ones are...
The ESB duel has everything in it.....and the various Bespin backdrops during the duel just mind blow smokin'

Gundark
I think in ESB Luke should have starting reaching for Vader's hand like he was giving up and then at the last second, pulled away and just let himself drop. More intense. But just a little too late now.

JediKnightess84
Personally my favorite was between Luke and His father in Return of the Jedi. Because that is when Darth (anakin) realizes that he actually cares about his son and brings balance to the force. Oh I love happy endings. big grin

LanceWindu
One of the main reason's ESB duel was great was because the taunting and "I am your father!"

Ushgarak
A shame Vader was so damn sloppy in it.

King Jedi
The lava pit idea was Lucas', it wasn't a fan idea.

1. TPM - Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon v Darth Maul
2. ESB - Luke v Vader
3. ROTJ - Luke v Vader
4. AOTC - Anakin/Obi-Wan/Yoda v Dooku
5. ANH - Obi-Wan v Vader (last even though it has the best lines of all of them)

Mujaffa
so far the best duell has been on TPM, but from what i've seen on ATOC commercial's ... dude

ToMacco
Wow. I'm suprised I'm the only one who thinks Vader and Obi-wan's duel was the best. Not the most action packed.

But A LOT of shit is happening in those few minutes. Important dialog, final face off between master and apprentace. It was the turning point between the two trillogies. It was now up to Luke to save the galaxy.

laos76
Yeah it takes all new meaning with the backstory now in motion pictures..

And the moment when Kenobi gets struck down and Luke screams "No" is one of the greatest Star Wars moments...
most emotional smokin'

finti
well he sure as hell underestimated Lke in it.

Gundark
Yeah. Luke just leaped out of that carbonite chamber like it was nothing. Zoom !

Ushgarak
When Vader let Luke hit him... it was cretinous. It is like all of Vader's experience escaped him.

To, I love that ANH duel as well, but TPM is still better for me.

finti
Vader must have a bad ass armour that took that blow Luke gave him.

Mujaffa
my favorite must be from TPM

Halba
Ending of AOTC in HANGAR

yeah this rocked! I especially loved the part where ANAKIN took on DOOKU (for abouyt 2 minutes but still EXCELLENT)

ANAKIN VS DOOKU

I got the vcd..and played the DUAL LIGHTSABER scene over and over again in SLOW MOTION and it looks so well done and cool! thats the best bit, whren he grabs obi-wans lightsaber and fights with both of them. Then he fights with one of them when the other goes. It was nice and dark scene and u can see the eyes of Anakin blazing with concentration , with dooku and anakin matching blow for blow in the darkness. It was at the end of the BREATHING trailer...so cool!!!

BREATHING TRAILER is da best!!!

of course it is also special coz DOOKU and ANAKIN duel it out again in III. Anakin will seek vengeance for his arm being cut-off.

yerssot
wasn't Dooku supposed to fight with two too?

Ushgarak
Scenes of him with two sabres were definitely shot. Shame.

yerssot
I read the story where they didn't cut anything... wow! they cancelled a lot! and a lot that would have made it a better story!

Halba
GL would've had good reason to cut it i'm sure
hopefully it'll be in the "deleted scenes" of the DVD due out later this year.

Gundark
Hopefully. If Maul had one, there's no reason Dooku wouldn't have had one.

yerssot
my waffle! Dooku with two sabres and they cut it!!

mah
would've been sweeet to see, but it's a given that it'll be on the DVD.

yerssot
I hope!

mah
you can safely bet, it'll be there

yerssot
because it has been filmed? that doesn't mean it WILL be there... just a bigger chance

Mujaffa
happy days when dvd comes

Halba
26 Nov.......Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi) - DVD

atleast its this year.

Gundark
Its still #1 at the box office here. Third week ! Woo-hoo !

Emperor Helmet
Really? Did they add teh cut saber scenes to the TPM DVD?

Ushgarak
Indeed they did not, except for one second at the end of the missing scenes documentary.

windu washer
I analyzed the particular duel between Anakin and Count Dooku, and if you see how Anakin tried to re-engage Dooku seconds before his arm was severed, you see that Anakin tried to be honorable and salute Dooku...but the Count slashed Anakin's outstretched arm. It is obvious Dooku did this because Anakin was a little more formidable than Dooku anticipated. (he is panting and clearly startled at Anakin's prowess).

Mace Skywalker
Me too, because lukeis going all out, and vader is just messing around using one hand and whatnot. Olus the music was intense. When I first saw luke get his hand cut off, it was the first time id ever seen a hero lose. I was like what the hell! Then I accepted it when I saw him get a new hand. It was so awesome.

Thranduil
my favourite duel if at the moment the Duel of the Fates (TPM), but I think the Ep III duel gonna top it all wink

Darth Jello
at the risk of being called a blasphemer, my fave so far has been Anakin Vs. Assajj Ventress in Clone Wars chapter 17-19.

Xam
mine is dooku vs ventress

Sith Master X
Where did that duel happen?

Darth Jello
clone wars cartoon

moonwalker741
the phantom menace, no contest..

i hate the yoda and dooku fight with a passion, and i dont really like the anikan/obi-wan vs dooku duel that much either..probably because dooku is a stupid character....and teh duel was lame

Jodo kast
aotc

mc pee pants
darth maul vs qui gonn and obi wan
dooku vs yoda
vader vs luke

DirectorFitz
any duel with vader or anakin

Blackhand
My favorite duel thus far has to be Vader and Luke from ESB. The Yoda battle scene with Dooku is a close second and would be first were Dooku not such a cheesy character IMO...what kind of name is Dooku anyway lol

Sith Master X
Actually, GL pronounces Dooku differently then we all do, GL says it as in "DOE KOO" for some reason. We all say it as "DEW KOO."

Red Superfly
Vader and Luke in ESB is the best duel.

The duel in AOTC was the worst fight of the lot. I hate Dooku vs Yoda, for a start. It was good when they used the force, but as soon as the lightsabers started, it all went into uber cheese mode, and it looked rubbish. Dooku isn't even synched to Yoda fighting - JUST watch Dooku and you'll see.

They should have made Jango vs Obi-Wan into a bigger fight - that was way better, and much more refreshing (Jedi with force vs Man with amazing technology).

And Dooku is a huge dissapointment after Darth Maul and Vader.

Jodo kast
AOTC

Cinemaddiction
Nice avatar. Of course, I am accustomed to being ripped off.

wicker_man
The three way between Maul, Qui Gon and Obi Wan.
The music and Darth Maul brandishing his double edged lightsabre for the first time had chills running down my spine.

Cinemaddiction
Huh huh..he said "three way".. laughing

Indeed. The tension while Maul is waiting for Obi Wan through the forcefield doors is too intense to deny.

cal31
Yeah, that fight was a dissapointment, but from the sounds of it they saved a lot of stuff that was going to be used in AOTC to be used for ROTS instead, and I think any of the lightsaber fights in ROTS will be better than any seen in the previous movies.

cal31
Yeah, I heard that too, he does the samething with Naboo, it's just weird how he says it differently than what is said in the movies themselves, since he is basically the one who decides how the names are said

Sith Master X
I know it's odd. I've also heard him say "Jedis" when speaking about more then one, but they've still always refered to it as just "Jedi" no matter if it's 1 or 100 of them they are talking about.

Stealth Agent
I like the fight in ROTJ. Its so cool when you can only see there dark figures and Luke is beating Vader down. Then go's Phantom Menace which yes when i first saw that in theater i was like holy $hit. A new double light saber and badass maul. Then comes the Empires Strikes back duel; and in last place Attack of the clones. But honestly i liked all of them.

Red Superfly
Return Of The Jedi's duel was brilliant.

When I was younger, and when I first saw the trilogy, I used to like ROTJs duel more, but as I grew older, ESB's duel became better and better.

Both ESB's and ROTJ are the best duels, with Phantom Menace coming third, with Obi-Wan vs Vader up next, and then Attack Of The Clones duel dead last.

Here's my depiction of what I have in my head (think of the distance between the words as an indication of how far apart they are in greatness).

ESB>ROTJ>TPM>>>ANH>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AOTC

eleveninches
The original trillogy saber duels had much more emotion than episode one and two duels. However, the prequel duels have been much faster and far better technically than the original trillogy lightsaber fights.

Hopefully, the ep3 duels (especially obiwan/anakin) will be far more emotional AND faster and technically better than all of the previous ones.

Sith Master X
I'd rate the duels in this order:

1. AOTC
2. TPM
3. ROTJ
4. ESB
5. ANH

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.