Anyone sick of historical films?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

king_arthur
I'm talking movies like Troy, King arthur, Alexander that all came out at the same year. It was the success of Braveheart and Gladiator that led to these movies being made. All of these movies took alot of style from Braveheart and Gladiator to help make there movies. Revenge, big battles, 3 hrs long, similar music scores, long speechs, the word freedom used over and over. They're hardly ever historicaly correct. Perhaps audiences grow tired of seeing CG armies fighting at each other. I'm just beginning to be sick of them. But I did enjoy Last Samurai and Kingdom of Heaven. Any opinions?

jaden101
i thought king arthur, alexander, troy and kingdom of heaven were utterly dire...gladiator not much better...or last samauri...and braveheart magnificent...come to think of it...why do i keep bothering to watch them when new ones come out

T.M
Originally posted by jaden101
i thought king arthur, alexander, troy and kingdom of heaven were utterly dire...gladiator not much better...or last samauri...and braveheart magnificent...come to think of it...why do i keep bothering to watch them when new ones come out

i have to agree although i thought The Last Samuri was quite good for a Tom Cruise.

jaden101
Originally posted by T.M
i have to agree although i thought The Last Samuri was quite good for a Tom Cruise.

or crap for a billy connelly film...depending on your point of view stick out tongue

KharmaDog
I'm sick of historically inaccurate films.

As for braveheart, it was a fine hollywodd film, but I wouldn't quite call it historic. As a historic film goes, it sucked.

king_arthur
And now Hannibal the Conqueror is going to be the next historic film. The bad news is that Vin Diesel is starring/directing and using ancient language.

What's next. Julius Caesar, Cleopatra....

jaden101
what?...like "i'm gonna kick ya ***** ass roman asses mutha ****az"

Dresta
not really i just saw a really good historical film called The Downfall its a German film about the fall of the Nazis and it's really quite good. Has anyone else seen it?

nick1811
does anyone else think its strange that the person who made this thread's username is king_arthur...

StinkFist462
hahah. didnt realize that.

KillerLady
Originally posted by nick1811
does anyone else think its strange that the person who made this thread's username is king_arthur...

perhaps that contributed to his oversaturation of history...

anyway, i can't lie-- i love the mall - and for some reason, never get sick of 'em...

Mandorallen
good
---------
gladiator
braveheart
last samuarai (i thought it was good)

bad
---------
all the rest....

sodapop
i actually liked troy

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Mandorallen
good
---------
gladiator
braveheart
last samuarai (i thought it was good)

But none of those are historical. Gladiator is a fictional story set in a historical setting as is the Last Samurai (which I also liked).

The story of William wallace and Robert the Bruce was so f*cked up in Braveheart that I would hesitate to call it historical.

Red Superfly
I love historical films.

I hate historical films that get their history wrong. Their one selling point is telling a true story, and most of them almost always f*ck it up.

IDIOTS!

theReject
I like historical movies, but then I like to read history books too. So...

jaden101
Originally posted by Red Superfly
I love historical films.

I hate historical films that get their history wrong. Their one selling point is telling a true story, and most of them almost always f*ck it up.

IDIOTS!

i've only ever seen one that got it right...gettysburg...not in a small way due to the fact that they filmed it on the actual battlefield

Revan Souer
I dont mind history films it just a pist take when they get the facts wrong..... Also its nuce to know that during WW2 it was only the US that fought in it, well according to hollywood anyway

Fallen Jedi
Originally posted by nick1811

my thoughts exactly.

forumcrew
Originally posted by KharmaDog
I'm sick of historically inaccurate films.

As for braveheart, it was a fine hollywodd film, but I wouldn't quite call it historic. As a historic film goes, it sucked.

in fareness none of those claimed to be a documentary or an exact historical representation.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by forumcrew
in fareness none of those claimed to be a documentary or an exact historical representation.

If a film maker is telling the story of an actual character in history, I feel that they at least have the responsibility to get the story right. If not, they should place a disclosure at the beginning of the movie that might state the following,

"Although based on historical events, the makers of this movie have taken the license to incorrectly portray event and characters in order to pander to the audience and to Hollywood executives. "

Revan Souer
Originally posted by forumcrew
in fareness none of those claimed to be a documentary or an exact historical representation. But people take films as fact, I know people shouldnt but when I was 15 I thought the JFK movie was totally factual but its not. Films have a responcibilty to get the many things right. To many scim the surface and dont do the events justice

ladygrim
i dont mind them aslong as there good and keep me intrested in watching them then i dont mind....

Cringe
I dont like them at all.Thyere usually long,boring,with cg battle sequences you've seen a million times before.

I did like

Saving Private Ryan
The Last Samuri

"Troy" was just plain comical.

yerssot
Originally posted by KharmaDog
If a film maker is telling the story of an actual character in history, I feel that they at least have the responsibility to get the story right. If not, they should place a disclosure at the beginning of the movie that might state the following,

"Although based on historical events, the makers of this movie have taken the license to incorrectly portray event and characters in order to pander to the audience and to Hollywood executives. "
You're absolutely right here. Some make a movie making it seem that it is historical correct (or at least according to the latest theories) and it turns out to be nothing but great speculation. Even Troy had (or once had) the pretencion to "go historical accurate" by throwing out the gods in the story... they forgot there is no proof that the battle took place to start with roll eyes (sarcastic)
The list is endless and it annoys me yes, but if you can see it as just a movie that happens to take place in the past it is doable

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.