Why didn't Anakin have a Padawan?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chinabing
Everybody has a padawan. Qui-Gon's got one. Obi-Wan's got one. Dooku's had one. What about Anakin? Obi-Wan got one the moment he achieved knighthood. Anakin doesn't have a padawan. I don't get it.

Maybe if he'd had one, he could have become a master. Perhaps training a Jedi lerner is a requirement in masterhood that Anakin lacked. Now, was he obstructed from this, or did he choose not to have one?

Maybe if he'd had a padawan, he'd have a moral compass which would have stopped him from changing to the dark side. Would he have become so hypocritical as to be in defiance of his vows. Perhaps such a padawan would have acted like a sounding board to his struggles. Someone who wouldn't have to keep his marriage a secret from.

Revan X
because he was a apprentice and was still in training.

GeneralImperius
Yeah but Anakin is a JEDI KNIGHT. JEDI KNIGHTS and JEDI MASTERS are allowed to take an Padawan/Apprentince.

Ast
There was no time to train a padawan, Anakin was one of the most important jedi in the war.

Superfly4000
that would have been an interesting plot point if Anakin had to kill his own padawan.

OJCrush
hes to reckless

cameron666
He most likely did't want one during the war.

Alkaselzer
Too reckless, and he had not been a Knight for very long. Obi-Wan was pretty special when it came to getting a Padawan upon attaining Knighthood.

Eleonora
Well, first of all I think there's a specific distinction between knights and masters only because the latter group can have padawans, whereas the other can't and if Anakin had been given a padawan ......
had he been a boy he would have turned him into an adrenaline junkie, had she been a girl..... well...... love love love .... that would have been a problem stick out tongue

Captain REX
Knights can have Padawans, that's a silly notion that they couldn't. Just look at Obi-Wan. He was a Knight in Episode II, and there are instances of other Knights having Padawans as well.

Padawans are like 13 when they start, so it would just be kind of creepy if he had a girl with a crush on her Master...and the movie would be ruined... messed

Gryn Jabar
Girl: I love you.
Anakin: Oh **** this. *slashes her with lightsaber*

JKozzy
Originally posted by chinabing
Everybody has a padawan. Qui-Gon's got one. Obi-Wan's got one. Dooku's had one. What about Anakin? Obi-Wan got one the moment he achieved knighthood. Anakin doesn't have a padawan. I don't get it.

Maybe if he'd had one, he could have become a master. Perhaps training a Jedi lerner is a requirement in masterhood that Anakin lacked. Now, was he obstructed from this, or did he choose not to have one?

Maybe if he'd had a padawan, he'd have a moral compass which would have stopped him from changing to the dark side. Would he have become so hypocritical as to be in defiance of his vows. Perhaps such a padawan would have acted like a sounding board to his struggles. Someone who wouldn't have to keep his marriage a secret from. Hey, look. There's this thing, called the Clone Wars... yeah, there was that. It affected the way things worked, just a bit.

OB1-adobe
you should have already known by watching 4-6

DarthLazious
He didn't have an Apprentice because of the Clone Wars.

chinabing
Originally posted by DarthLazious
He didn't have an Apprentice because of the Clone Wars.

We don't know that. Looks to me like there were plenty of padawans twiddling their thumbs around the jedi temple. Qui-Gon managed to fight all those battle droids in Ep.1 with Obi-Wan as a padawan. Surely Anakin could have found the time. When something's important you make the time.

Stunrun
It would of been cool had Anakin took on an apprentice, but with only 3 movies - plus the Clone Wars, it would of been the least most important sub plot to the PT. Also, his patience and anger - not goodno . Also, the relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan would of been alot less focused on if Anakin DID have an apprentice, and you need to allow alot more screentime for a Father/Son/Brothers in war relationship and the downfall of that relationship - i mean, Anakin and Obi-Wan are two of the MOST important characters, and to have a chain of 3 would of destroyed there relationship onscreenyes

McGregorGirl
Originally posted by Captain REX
Knights can have Padawans, that's a silly notion that they couldn't. Just look at Obi-Wan. He was a Knight in Episode II, and there are instances of other Knights having Padawans as well.

Padawans are like 13 when they start, so it would just be kind of creepy if he had a girl with a crush on her Master...and the movie would be ruined... messed

Please correct me if Im wrong, I have only seen the films. But these don't seem correct to me. Obi Wan was a Master already in Ep2. Everyone was referring to him as such.

And I thought padawans started much much younger than 13. Anakin was 9 and they were telling Qui Gon he was way too old.

Not trying to be critical, just trying to clear up.

neo313
#1. Jedi refer to each other as "master" as a form of respect, sometimes regardless of rank.
#2. Anakin didn't have time for a padawan while fighting in the clone wars.

Sans_Fi
Actually, Obi Wan could have had ANOTHER aprentice...

All the padawans you see on the clone wars are grown padawans (almost knights, probably they started training before the CW) I dont think anybody had a Newbie padawan during this time...

Captain REX
Obi-Wan could have had another apprentice by Episode III, but the Clone Wars...yeah, he was a leading figure in the Order, so it would have been awkward for him to get a new one. Besides, it had only been a few months since Anakin became a Knight.

13 is usually when the Padawans stop being Jedi Hopefuls and are taken as an apprentice to the Jedi Knights/Masters. They start training at ages like 2 or 3.

Stefan Kojic
clone wars

commander gree
Originally posted by Gryn Jabar
Girl: I love you.
Anakin: Oh **** this. *slashes her with lightsaber* laughing

b-dan
luke kills her its a comic or something

Tiberius
If anakin had a Padawan he might not have fallen to the dark side.

Superfly4000
why not

bilb
Originally posted by Tiberius
If anakin had a Padawan he might not have fallen to the dark side.

hysterical

obiwills
Obi Wan could've chosen to take another Padawan also, but he didn't either. Neither him nor Anakin had time for a new Padawan during the Clone Wars because the both of them were constantly being sent to fight. Plus they were too obsessed with each other to have time for another Padawan hanging around. The only thing the Padawan would've learned was how to argue.

JenR1215
Anakin didnt have a Padwan, becuz he acted like he still was one.

Tiberius
Originally posted by bilb
hysterical Wassur problem? mad

Eleonora
Originally posted by Captain REX

No baby, it's not silly it's the truth. Those people that you refer to (BTW who are those random "other knights"?) as "knights" are in fact "masters", there are masters that are not on the council (can you imagine how big it would be?). I think that when a knight gets a padawan he automatically becomes, officially or unofficially, a master, not necessarily a member of the council (of course).

Have you ever heard the word "joke"? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Darth Faunus
You have to train a Padawan to Knighthood in order to be ranked as a Jedi Master. As of AOTC, Obi-Wan Kenobi is a Jedi Knight, since Anakin will not become a Knight for another two years. It's in the Official Guide for Episode II.

And Anakin and Obi-Wan were a duo of frontline Generals throughout the Clone Wars. They were barely even on Coruscant during those three years.

bilb
Originally posted by Tiberius
Wassur problem? mad

thats just the DUMBEST argument i have EVER heard in a SW discussion!! laughing laughing laughing laughing

Darth Faunus
Lmao.

Darth_Emodas
The Jedi Council barely allowed Anakin to be trained. Letting him train a new Jedi would've been totally out of the question.

chinabing
Letting him train a new Jedi would've been totally out of the question.

Sez who? Obi-Wan trained Anakin, and said he would have, "without the approval of the council if I must." So a knight can have a padawan, even if you've just passed your boards.

I was surprised the issue didn't even come up during the novel.

Tiberius
Originally posted by bilb
thats just the DUMBEST argument i have EVER heard in a SW discussion!! laughing laughing laughing laughing Why would that be? mad This Padawan could talk some sense in him. Like everybody talks about what if Obi-Wan stayed on Coruscant? Well this Padawan could fill in the role of Obi Wan. He would tell anakin he's wrong. It would maybe end differently. And if you laugh with someone, HAVE A REASON! you just Laugh at me., without saying why.

Darth_Emodas
Originally posted by Darth_Emodas
The Jedi Council barely allowed Anakin to be trained. Letting him train a new Jedi would've been totally out of the question.

Because Anakin was not a traditional Jedi. He was taken as an apprentice at age 9 because of his immense talent and his place in the prophecy.

Obi-Wan was a traditional Jedi. The council trusts him.

They do not trust Anakin in the slightest.

preysin
i think that anakin was goin to train his son. and the darkside took over and it never happen.

Darth_Nefarus
because he's an arse

preysin
no he isnt.

Tangible God
Anakin was still very close to Obi-Wan, almost padawan close. Plus, being the one of the most well known, powerful and important Jedi directly involved in the War, he wouldn't have had any time to get to know the padawan. How would that padawan feel if there new master went running off to war for months at a time, leaving them behind, becasue that's just what Anakin would do. Feel bad about himself 'cause Obi's leaving him behind and being to cautious with his Anakin's safety, then Anakin get's his own Padawan and does the same.

Plus it wouldn't make sense canonically. When Anakin turned to the dark side, his padawan, seeing his master turn evil will likely follow the same path. Just doesn't make sense in the movie.

Not to mention he's the Chosen one, arrogant, and is secretly married. Obi-Wan's close enough to them, Anakin wouldn't want another person in on his private life.

JediRobin23
The republic needed all the Jedi they can get, having a padawan takes time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.