Would having another master have made a difference?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gryn Jabar
If Anakin had had another master, could the fall to the DS have been avoided? I personally lay ALOT of blame on the shoulders of Obi-Wan, who, Anakin clearly did not appear to completely trust.

Darth_Glentract
I think Obi-wan was a good choice, better than most, but he had been a Knight for less than a day by the time Anakin became his apprentice. Yoda should have trained him.

overlord
Ever since Obi-Wan got drunk in that pub on Coruscant Anakin found it safer to hang out with President Palpatine because Anakin is a Christian Extremist and as we all know extremes are business of the dark side. And the rest is history:

Palpatine: Anakin you must join the dark side.

Anakin: oh okay..
--------------------------------
I think this will clear up a lot for everybody.

By the way, if Yoda were Anakins master, Anakin would probably turn to the dark side after a couple of weeks because of that annoying dialect..

Gryn Jabar

xxxpoppunker182
i think so. yes obiwan eventually becomes a great jedi BUT in the words of yoda, "someone with more experience, a jedi master should go." i mean obi wan had just literally JUST became a knight i think if yoda or mace would have trained him(or qui-gon if he hadn't died) anikin would have been different.

Tangible God

Darth_Janus
Originally posted by Gryn Jabar
If Anakin had had another master, could the fall to the DS have been avoided? I personally lay ALOT of blame on the shoulders of Obi-Wan, who, Anakin clearly did not appear to completely trust.

Done before, to infinitum.

To answer the question, the choices of Anakin Skywalker are ultimately decided by Anakin Skywalker. He received jedi training, same as anyone else. Obi-Wan was very good to him, and he is a very strict but good teacher as we see him to be. But in the end, Anakin Skywalker was rash, heedless of the wisdom of Yoda, Mace or Obi-Wan's examples and teachings, and he made conscious decisions to turn to the darkside. He knelt before the emperor, when he could have slayed him. He put himself before anyone else, and he chose evil. To lay blame on the master undermines Anakin's freewill. He chose. End of story.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Darth_Janus
Done before, to infinitum.

To answer the question, the choices of Anakin Skywalker are ultimately decided by Anakin Skywalker. He received jedi training, same as anyone else. Obi-Wan was very good to him, and he is a very strict but good teacher as we see him to be. But in the end, Anakin Skywalker was rash, heedless of the wisdom of Yoda, Mace or Obi-Wan's examples and teachings, and he made conscious decisions to turn to the darkside. He knelt before the emperor, when he could have slayed him. He put himself before anyone else, and he chose evil. To lay blame on the master undermines Anakin's freewill. He chose. End of story. Case closed folks, Janus has solved another of life's unanswereable questions.

See the yellow pages for details.

Darth_Janus
Originally posted by Tangible God
Case closed folks, Janus has solved another of life's unanswereable questions.

See the yellow pages for details.

And that's going in my profile of quotable quotes. Danke.

Tangible God
Is it really? I just glanced at the phone book on my desk when I was typing. Neat coincidence.

Oh well.....Party at my place! Drunk white women for everyone!

overlord
I don't even think Yoda trains individuals, nor would any of the council.
I don't remember the jedi masters having personal trainees.
I think Obi Wan was one of the best jedi knights so Anakin should have considered himself lucky, maybe Anakin was just a beeitch who would have joined the dark side no matter what happened.
He DID fall awefully fast, I for one saw no reason at all to suddenly become Sidious slave, or Sidious is just the master of jedi mind tricks.

Fishy

Darth Faunus
Well, it was his choice, yes, but there were harsh circumstances. The obvious distrust of Master Windu, his nightmares, or more effectively, premonitions, his wish to live a free life, etc. He simply lost faith, and so went to the only man who seemed to care for him, to trust him; Palpatine. If only Obi-Wan hadn't been sent to Utapa; if only he'd been there in Anakin's most dire hour. . . But no blame can be put on his shoulders. He tried his best, and was a very good teacher, but in the end, Anakin just wasn't strong enough.

overlord

overlord
Originally posted by Darth Faunus
Well, it was his choice, yes, but there were harsh circumstances. The obvious distrust of Master Windu, his nightmares, or more effectively, premonitions, his wish to live a free life, etc. He simply lost faith, and so went to the only man who seemed to care for him, to trust him; Palpatine. If only Obi-Wan hadn't been sent to Utapa; if only he'd been there in Anakin's most dire hour. . . But no blame can be put on his shoulders. He tried his best, and was a very good teacher, but in the end, Anakin just wasn't strong enough.

Yes. I think Anakin was pretty weak minded and Obi is not to blame.
I just can't believe Anakin joined Palpatine anyway after he found out Palpatine was lying and was the sith himself!

Tiberius
Originally posted by xxxpoppunker182
i think so. yes obiwan eventually becomes a great jedi BUT in the words of yoda, "someone with more experience, a jedi master should go." i mean obi wan had just literally JUST became a knight i think if yoda or mace would have trained him(or qui-gon if he hadn't died) anikin would have been different. If Mace was his mentor he'd certainly have turned over to the dark side.

Revan Souer
I think it had some thing to do with OBI WAN being kinda condasending, Mace would of been a far better choice as I think Ana always knew he was stronger than Obi

Darth_Janus
Originally posted by Revan Souer
I think it had some thing to do with OBI WAN being kinda condasending, Mace would of been a far better choice as I think Ana always knew he was stronger than Obi

If your teacher is condescending (and for the most part, rightfully so, considering how rash and immature Anakin was after ten years of training) this is not a free ticket to the darkside. Anakin was unruly and leaning towards darkness from before AOTC on, if not from birth on, since it's strongly hinted at that the Sith had the means to create Anakin (Who's birth is shrouded in unknowns).

So he was probably meant to be evil, and perhaps it was love and his teachings that finally got through to him in the end. Consider that.

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by overlord
I don't even think Yoda trains individuals, nor would any of the council.
I don't remember the jedi masters having personal trainees.
I think Obi Wan was one of the best jedi knights so Anakin should have considered himself lucky, maybe Anakin was just a beeitch who would have joined the dark side no matter what happened.
He DID fall awefully fast, I for one saw no reason at all to suddenly become Sidious slave, or Sidious is just the master of jedi mind tricks.

We don't see it but for example, Ki adi mundi had a padwann (which is killed by G.G. during clone wars). I don't know about the others but I believe they also had padawans.

Now about the topic. Yes, we can't blame the master, for the aprenctice decisions BUT, besides the fact that obi wan let some issues let by without a disciplinar action (thing that neither yoda or mace would), we must see this in it's own context. They were at war. Anakin first of all, grew up ALWAYS with doubts, fears, a misplaced hopes. When he needed, though he didn't asked directly, he was left alone by the circumstances so, because he IS a weakling fool he would have needed a more firm and strong handed Master. Qui Gon would also have do the job right. I don't mean that the change of master would have prevented anakins turn, I'm just saying it could be different and his turning happened for other reasons rather than "I'm a poor baby and no one likes me and I'm more powerful than everyone and I'm afraid to lose everyone that I love bwaaaaaaaaaaa"

Nai Fohl
Originally posted by Gryn Jabar

Another master would have done actually nothing.

a)
Joining the dark side is an individual decission so the only one responsible is Anakin himself. This is what Yoda tells Obi-Wan in ROTS so it's true.

b)
If you want to blame Obi-Wan for Anakin you have (logically):
- blame Yoda because of Dooku
- Mace because of Deepa Billaba
- Vodo because of Exar Kun
- Arca because of Ulic Quel-Droma
- the masters of Freedon Nadd
- the masters of Revan and Malak

...and so on, and so on.

c)
The things that led Anakin to the dark side where part of his personality and couldn't have been erased through training. The points being:

- the fear to lose his mother (and his dreams about her)
- his love for Padme (and again the fear to lose her)
- his hot-headed way of acting without thought (seen in AotC and ROTS)
- his strong addiction to other people close to him (Obi-Wan, Palpatine)

All that things led to his fall. But at least that fall to the dark side was HIS decission and nothing Obi-Wan could have prevented or stopped.

fallenjedi
I'm pretty sure things went as they were going to go. This whole "chosen One" crap blinded everyone to who Anakin realy was, exept for Obi-Wan, who saw him as a brother towards the end, and Palp, who from the get go was playing this scared little kid. Anakin's fall was his DESTINY. From divine birth, whether it be of the sith's(Palp's master's) design, or simply(however unbelievably) the force's offspring, to bringing balance to an overly "light" force presence. This guy fullfilled his duties as a prophesy. The story is tragic, but given the surrounding circumstances, the only plausible outcome. Had things ended up differently, say for example, a different master, the same overall outcome would have come about. Only there might not be any Skywalker offspring to change things later on.

Tangible God
I hold neither Anakin, Obi-Wan, Palpatine or the Council to blame. Nor that Destiny thing or the prophecy.

I blame Jar Jar.

If he was smart enough to run away from that Trade Federation troop carrier then Qui-Gon wouldn't have met him and the gungan wouldn't have been brought along with them. If he didn't get in trouble with Subulba then Anakin wouldn't have come to rescue him and gotten to know Padme and Qui-Gon.

The rest tells itself.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.