The Force is strong in the Skywalker family.......

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jedi Priestess
So Im driving down the road today, and Im thinking about the line that Luke says in ROTJ about the Force being strong in his family. And if you recall in TPM Schmi and Qui-Gon both refer to Anakin being force sensitive even at a very young age. Yet, by the time ANH rolls around apparently Luke hasnt demonstrated anything remarkable at least nothing like his father did. Leia obviously has had zero force experience up until when Luke calls to her from Cloud City. So I ask you, what gives? Anyone know or is this yet another gaping pot-hole in the Lucas highway?

bilb
Well actually I always kinda thought that Luke worded it that way for dramatic effect.. like when you call out the lottery winner.. you dont just say # 4321 is the winner!! you drag it out.. ffffffffoouurrr.... ttthhrreeee.. ttwwwwoooo.... OONNNEE!!!

just the way i always took it

Jedi Priestess
Grrrrrrrrreat yet another plot hole. Damnit. mad

bilb
what you're surprised?? stick out tongue

DeVi| D0do
I suspect Anakin was much stronger in the Force because he was the Chosen One - born of the Force. In a sense he IS the Force. Well, nah, not really, that's stupid...

Darth_Emodas
This may contain some EU material but this is my understanding:

Owen and Beru Lars discouraged Luke from pursuing adventure, as they well knew was in his blood. They knew who his father was and knew that he could end up the same way so they wanted to protect him.

"Sheltered" Life and all.

Following that line of thought, Leia's foster parents likely did the same thing to discourage her from exhibiting signs of Force sensitivity.

Remember, Luke and Leia were in hiding. They were not supposed to appear Force sensitive in any way or they would've been hunted down.

Jedi Priestess
Yes but I think there would have been something. I mean for example, as a boy Anakin could see things a few seconds before they happened. Surely Luke and Leia would have experienced soemthing along these lines if the force was indeed strong in the Skywalker line.

DeVi| D0do
Yup. According to the PT Jedi were identified by their unusual abilities when they were infants. Luke and Leia should have shown some Force abilities... It's not something you could hide.

Plot hole.

JenR1215
Since Luke and Leia are twins. How come only Luke has the foce in him? Bcuz Yoda had plans for him and not Leia or what?

DeVi| D0do
Leia is strong in the Force...

Captain REX
Heh, I never really thought of that. Luke reaches Jedi Knight ranking pretty fast, if you think about it.

JKozzy
As stated in ANH: the target is two meters wide. Everyone complained, yet Luke had always done the maneuvers. It was my understanding that this wasn't something any ordinary person could do on a consistant basis, and that Luke indirectly used the force at that point in time.

If that's not good enough, Anakin's being pretty much on the same page as The Force itself helped him to harness it without actually being taught. Qui-Gon said that "he would've been spotted earlier had he been born in the republic." On what grounds do they "spot" someone? There must be some sort of tremor in the force, or something that would explain how they were found; not every Padawan demonstrated immediate ability I'm sure. When Anakin knew the pictures Yoda had, it seemed like they were thoroughly impressed, perhaps that Anakin already could do so many things that a Padawan would've taken time to train for. But those are just my thoughts and ramblings.

DeVi| D0do
Well said, Kozzman. Good points. cool

Jedi Priestess
Well he IS the Kozzman! yes

Ast
Original alliance? Nice touch. stick out tongue

Kozzman said what I was thinking. Plus Anakin was much stronger with the force(I think) and he was created by it, so that has to count for something. stick out tongue

Jedi Priestess
Sorry not my fault we picked that name first. Well wait......yeah it kinda is. wink laughing out loud

DeVi| D0do
Oooh, yay, Forum Wars is starting! Someone grab the popcorn, I'll get the beers... big grin wink

Ast
Oh yeah, we have cookies. laughing sad

Though I do wonder, does the TrA have a lot of T & A? cool

*sits and waits for required JP "pervert" response* stick out tongue

Tiberius
Well he did race through Beggars canyon with his Skyhopper.

Captain REX
EU, but yes, there was some feat that Luke performed that astounded his friends, flying through the Eye of the Needle rock formation, or something...he did damage his Skyhopper though...

Tiberius
Well thay EU it ain't either. The skyhopper is clearly shown in the movies ANH and ROTJ. And why his skyhopper was grounded stood in the ANH novel. It was something about a race through beggar's canyon. And i read a piece of Shadows of the empire today in which it states he raced there before and that it was extremely dangerous. (podrace anyone?)

Jedi Priestess
OK I realise that some of you are new but please dont run my thread off topic this way: skyhoppers? blink

And DD there is no forum war, never has been one as far as Im concerned, we've been around for a year now. thumbsup

Ast, TRA is what it is, the deal in the sigs is there because up to now we've been private, but the plan was always to take the board public a few months after the release of ROTS. yes

DeVi| D0do
I know there's no war... I'm just teasing. big grin

Phoenix2001
Originally posted by Captain REX

Heh, I never really thought of that. Luke reaches Jedi Knight ranking pretty fast, if you think about it.

True... but if you think about it... Luke is already at the stages of being a man, so his maturity (if you discount his whining) probably allowed for a fast force ranking.

Darth_Emodas
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Leia is strong in the Force...

I would say this says the most about his strength in the Force. He was arguably more powerful than his father was as he learned so much a LOT faster, most of it self taught.

I do not believe it to be a plot hole, the Lars and the Organas were certainly not going to mention any 'unusual abilities' that the infants had to the neighbors at dinner. They were trying to avoid the scrutiny of the Emperor.

Ushgarak
I agree with Kozzy; I do not think it is made out that Anakin was more precocious than Luke.

However, I believe QGJ simply meant that such people are identified medically.

And mention of the T-16 Skyhopper is not off-topic, JP, as it relates to the area in which Luke's precocious talent showed.

Eleonora
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
Yet, by the time ANH rolls around apparently Luke hasnt demonstrated anything remarkable at least nothing like his father did. Leia obviously has had zero force experience up until when Luke calls to her from Cloud City.

I think it's because of his insecurity and his uncle. If he had had similar experiences he certainly wouldn't have told him would he?
When we first meet Luke's uncle we immediately see he is the kind of sturdy and direct farmer who represses any fantasy Luke has for a different kind of life. I think that because he is so sensitive he might have been influenced psychologically by this. You'll notice that when he gets off Tatooine his powers quickly come to him.
As for Leia, we don't know much about her past (that's why I'd like to see Bail in the TV series wink) but we do know she's a lot like mum, concentrating all of her abilities into politics. I think she is too focused on other things to discover her inner self, and when she finds herself in love with Han it's the first time she's not concentrating her feelings on everybody else. I believe that's why she's more sensitive by the end of TESB.

chinabing
But Luke was a great pilot in ANH. In the radio drama's,
Luke wins a race by threading the stone needle. And
then on the falcon he quickly learns to block 3 - count 'em - 3
blasts from the remote! Now, anyone not force sensitive
could not have blocked them, no way, not blind anyway.

Darth_Emodas
It's also possible that since Luke was the product of Anakin and Padme (aka two mortals) his talents were far more suppressed than that of Anakins. Remember that he had no mortal father.

Darth_Nefarus
I doubt that, look what Luke did within two days of knowing about the force, bye bye deathstar. And he barely had 3 months of Jedi training and he still took on Vader and won. and supposedly in the original script could already block lightning with his hands.

Although it doesn't say it in the movies, I'm sure Luke and Leia both had moments where they displayed talents. But they weren't racing pods now were they?
Luke was raised by two people who nothing of the force and wanted Luke to know nothing about it. And I'm sure Bail and his wife weren't going to try and get Leia a lightsaber.

SithHappens
What's really bugs me out is if the Force is really a genetic thing why isn't Obi-Wan's brother a Jedi. Or his father or mother or any of the other Jedi's family. That's a plot hole. He decided to make it pass from Anakin to Luke but never explains why it isn't that way in other families.

Ushgarak
It's not genetic- the Skywalkers are just a special case.

Ast
Originally posted by SithHappens
What's really bugs me out is if the Force is really a genetic thing why isn't Obi-Wan's brother a Jedi. Or his father or mother or any of the other Jedi's family. That's a plot hole. He decided to make it pass from Anakin to Luke but never explains why it isn't that way in other families.

Obi's parents werent jedi, but Luke's father was.

chinabing
What's really bugs me out is if the Force is really a genetic thing why isn't Obi-Wan's brother a Jedi. He decided to make it pass from Anakin to Luke but never explains why it isn't that way in other families.
I don't think it's a plot hole... Perhaps Anakin's midichlorians were so strong genetically they had to influence his offspring. And I thought Jedi "seeded" the galaxy to go make more jedi... maybe that's why most of them were wiped out by palpatine, i.e. no more jedi to procreate, so thus eventually no more jedi.

Besides I don't need every little midichlorian explained to me... I don't want Yoda to break out a periodic table of the elements mid-sentence when he and Obi-wan are deciding what to do with the twins. The story is more important than a genetic mapping.

Red Superfly
The Skywalkers are special.

Luke always had talent. The bullseyeing womprats thing was a direct reference to his innate talents. It was there for a reason.

Also, on his first ever mission, he blew up the death star. Isn't that talented enough for you?

Darth_Emodas
Originally posted by Ushgarak
It's not genetic- the Skywalkers are just a special case.

True, but it is clear from Anakin's case that very strong Force potential tends to pass through genes.

Other Jedi such as Yoda and Mace were probably just a genetic anomaly and born with the ability to use the Force. Remember, traditional Jedi are taken from their parents at a very young age so they can be indoctrinated to resist the dark side.

Ushgarak
We actually have no indication that force power passes through genes from powerful force users because we have only ever seen it happen with the Chosen One.

So all we have proven so far is a special case.

Echuu
What about Stass Allie and Adi Gallia? Weren't they cousins?

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by bilb
Well actually I always kinda thought that Luke worded it that way for dramatic effect.. like when you call out the lottery winner.. you dont just say # 4321 is the winner!! you drag it out.. ffffffffoouurrr.... ttthhrreeee.. ttwwwwoooo.... OONNNEE!!!

just the way i always took it laughing

ya gotta love bilb

Darth_Emodas
We actually have no indication that force power passes through genes from powerful force users because we have only ever seen it happen with the Chosen One.

So all we have proven so far is a special case.

Well that would be because so few Jedi are allowed to marry due to the attachment issue. Since there is little evidence to the contrary, I feel it to be a safe assumption.

Ushgarak
But it IS just that- an assumption, and so speculation.

In fact, as Jedi are not allowed to marry and so would almost nevber have off-spring it suggests, if anything, that Force ability is normally non-genetic.

I don't think it is safe at all.

Darth_Nefarus
I don't think other Jedi's family like Obi-Wan's brother or whoevers cousin are force sensitive because it doesn't work like that, with the Skywalkers being the exception. They're the only family to be chosen by the midichlorians, while everyone else gets kinda lucky.

Smelly Heathen
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
So Im driving down the road today, and Im thinking about the line that Luke says in ROTJ about the Force being strong in his family. And if you recall in TPM Schmi and Qui-Gon both refer to Anakin being force sensitive even at a very young age. Yet, by the time ANH rolls around apparently Luke hasnt demonstrated anything remarkable at least nothing like his father did. Leia obviously has had zero force experience up until when Luke calls to her from Cloud City. So I ask you, what gives? Anyone know or is this yet another gaping pot-hole in the Lucas highway?

My opinion,
Luke picked up the jediing thing pretty fast, took anakin quite a few years and luke would have shown how he was force sensitive after a tiny bit of obi-wans training when he was destroying the death star.

Smelly Heathen
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Yup. According to the PT Jedi were identified by their unusual abilities when they were infants. Luke and Leia should have shown some Force abilities... It's not something you could hide.

Plot hole.

Maybe only a jedi could identify this.

This would be hard because Luke was on Tatooine, outside the republic.
It would be even harder since all but 2 jedi are dead.

Darth_Emodas
But it IS just that- an assumption, and so speculation.

In fact, as Jedi are not allowed to marry and so would almost nevber have off-spring it suggests, if anything, that Force ability is normally non-genetic.

I don't think it is safe at all.

Point out evidence to the contrary and I will agree with you.

Note: marriage is not required for procreation.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by Smelly Heathen

My opinion,
Luke picked up the jediing thing pretty fast, took anakin quite a few years and luke would have shown how he was force sensitive after a tiny bit of obi-wans training when he was destroying the death star.

errr no Anakin started displaying force sensitivity at a very early age dear.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Darth_Emodas
Point out evidence to the contrary and I will agree with you.

Note: marriage is not required for procreation.

I don't need evidence- that Jedi are forbidden to make attachments and so effectively never have kids is a fact, and so it massively reduces the chances of Force power being genetically transmitted. Every single force user has non-force using parents except Luke.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.