Palpatine's Character

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarkAge
Palpatine was executing his plan for control of the galaxy over decades, possibly centuries. He lied to everyone he knew, won everyone' trust and then stabbed them in the back. Clearly, he was a man of no concience, "a black hole in the Force" as the novel puts it. Could someone be this evil in real life? Palpatine was also a diabolical genious. He could see into the future and manipulate the present accordingly. There was only one thing he didn't count on, and that was the human being he manipulated into existence betraying him. He had the political ruthlessness of Karl Rove, the charisma of Adolf Hitler (or Arnold Swarzeneggar for that matter), and the megalomania of Napoleon. He created a war and profitted from it immeasurably. Does anyone else have any thoughts on who or what Palpatine represents?

DeVi| D0do
Woo! Yay for diabolicality!

JenR1215
im sure someone could be that evil, i mean come one look at the world to day, and concider the past with Adolf Hitler, Sadam, and BeLaden.

He can possibly represents everyone in life.

The New History
George Lucas yes

Darth Somebody
The Phantom Menace and Attack of The Clones best personifies the statement above. It is interesting when you think about it. Palpatine's character is the third most important in the movies. The PT has shown that without him - you wouldn't have had the OT. There would be no Empire. Which means there's nothing to rebel from. Meaning no rebellion.

The Revenge of The Sith version of Palpatine disturbs me. Now, there are some parts when Palpatine's villainy is at its peak. Such as when Palpatine tells Anakin the legend of Darth Plageuis - or when he has Anakin kill Dooku. Or when he tells Anakin that HE killed his own wife.

But. In Revenge of the Sith - Palpatine goes from the shadowy and enigmatic main villain of both series - to a laughing jackass who has facial issues.

Palpatine with a lightsaber...Palpatine with a lightsaber. One of the biggest mistakes in the movies. He should've been a Force god. Not totting a saber. Palpatine should have simply been...consistant. Better. In control.

Captain REX
People usually relate Sidious to Hitler, but he's more evil than that. There's nothing redeemable about him. He's the epitome and characterization of evil.

Palpatine with a lightsaber was alright. Would have been more fun to see him fling around Jedi, though...

Tangible God
Amen to that Rex.

Palpatine is alot like Stalin to. He killed many millions of his own people, starved them, spied on them. He was much worse than Hitler.

Captain REX
Indeed.

Have you ever seen the stats for who killed the most indirectly?

Russia's Stalin killed 50 million indirectly.

Germany's Hitler killed 60 million indirectly.

China's Mao killed 72 million indirectly.

I wonder what Sidious' count comes to? Everyone who died during the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War would be his doing...

Tangible God
Technically everything until the Peace Treaty with the Imp. Remnant was his doing--indirectly.

Hitler killed, on purpose about 7 million Concentration/Death camp prisoners. He DID cause WWll, but in war casualties are expected, so those were indirect.

Stalin PURPOSELY executed about 20 million of his own civilians out of paranoia. Not to mention that f*cked up order to terminate 10 000 of his highest officers right before the war.

I don't know too much on Mao, but China can afford a couple million deaths, not THAT big of an impact.---still bad though.

These guys were evil, but compared to the PalpsMan, they're just Ken Dolls.

Sir Mist
Originally posted by DarkAge
Does anyone else have any thoughts on who or what Palpatine represents?

ME muahahahaevil face

Yeah...so like...Im just gonna go out and get laid nowno expression

Tangible God
Aww, you do that. Look around for me taking pictures to sell to Bob Dole.

Darth_Nefarus
I'm that evil

Captain REX
w00t

Yeah, Mao had messed up ideas about economy. He starved all 72 million of those folks, even if he did shoot them before they starved to death.

Tangible God
Lol, how courteous of him.

DaRkChEsTwOnDeR
Originally posted by Darth Somebody
The Phantom Menace and Attack of The Clones best personifies the statement above. It is interesting when you think about it. Palpatine's character is the third most important in the movies. The PT has shown that without him - you wouldn't have had the OT. There would be no Empire. Which means there's nothing to rebel from. Meaning no rebellion.

The Revenge of The Sith version of Palpatine disturbs me. Now, there are some parts when Palpatine's villainy is at its peak. Such as when Palpatine tells Anakin the legend of Darth Plageuis - or when he has Anakin kill Dooku. Or when he tells Anakin that HE killed his own wife.

But. In Revenge of the Sith - Palpatine goes from the shadowy and enigmatic main villain of both series - to a laughing jackass who has facial issues.

Palpatine with a lightsaber...Palpatine with a lightsaber. One of the biggest mistakes in the movies. He should've been a Force god. Not totting a saber. Palpatine should have simply been...consistant. Better. In control.

I agree with alotta that, although the whole lightsaber thing was cool, I thinkmore force would of been uuuuuuber cool! I mean come on, he was pwning Yoda, if he didnt use his lightsaber he still wouldve, the only time he really needed it was against Mace.

Anyways..

GO PALPY! big grin

Darth_Emodas
Hmmm, come to think of it, that would've been pretty cool.

Mace: In the name of the Galactic Senate of the Republic, you are under arrest, Chancellor!

Palpatine: Are you threatening me Master Jedi?

*force grips Kit Fisto, Agen Kolaar, and the third Jedi Master next to Mace, susending them in the air as he chokes them.*

*chairs, tables, the desk fly throughout the room, battering all the Jedi. Mace is able to slash/avoid most of the objects.*

*Mace blocks Palpatines lightning, then forces him down when his power is apparently gone.*

*Enter Anakin stage left. Continue as per Lucas' script.*

Hmmmm....

DiamondBullets
^
Yeah, that woulda been pretty dope! And Lucas might as well have dun that, cuz it woulda been equilivilent to the real film where those niggaz was just standin around waitin' to get killed anywayz......

Areora
Pfft. May Darth Vader rot in jedi hell. EVIL RULES! and yes Palpy should be a "force god"

palpy_666
Palpatine most certainly should NOT be some sort of "force god" as some of you have put it. Palpatine was a Dark Lord of the Sith, mind you. Usage of a saber is guaranteed in this situation.

Palpatine was one of the most powerful Sith Lord's when you take into account all of his combined military might and crafty intelligence. But, this doesn't mean he shouldn't wield a lightsaber. In some situations, a lightsaber is most deffinately necessary (such as his duel with Master Windu).

Besides, seeing Palpatine's skill and technique with a saber was very interesting. I also enjoyed seeing him do unnatural flips and twirls... it's cool to see an older man who couldn't physically do these things do them by augmenting his strength through the Force.

Darth_Emodas
Originally posted by palpy_666
Palpatine most certainly should NOT be some sort of "force god" as some of you have put it. Palpatine was a Dark Lord of the Sith, mind you. Usage of a saber is guaranteed in this situation.

Palpatine was one of the most powerful Sith Lord's when you take into account all of his combined military might and crafty intelligence. But, this doesn't mean he shouldn't wield a lightsaber. In some situations, a lightsaber is most deffinately necessary (such as his duel with Master Windu).

Besides, seeing Palpatine's skill and technique with a saber was very interesting. I also enjoyed seeing him do unnatural flips and twirls... it's cool to see an older man who couldn't physically do these things do them by augmenting his strength through the Force.

Yoda did much the same thing. He was about 880 when he was dueling Palpatine, too.

I think what people mean when they say 'Force god' is that Palpatine was obviously more powerful than even Mace. Therefore, when faced with such inferior foes, manipulating the Force should be all he needs.

It was cool to see him wield a saber though, when watching OT I always wondered if I would ever see him with one. I went crazy when it came out of his sleeve like that, and then he flipped/twirled with that inhuman scream of his. It was quite a show as it was, to be sure.

Tangible God
Originally posted by JenR1215
im sure someone could be that evil, i mean come one look at the world to day, and concider the past with Adolf Hitler, Sadam, and BeLaden.

He can possibly represents everyone in life. (whispers) Oh for Christ's sake.

It's BIN LADEN.

Darth Somebody
No. Sidious should've either been the greatest duelist in the PT - or he simply shouldn't have used a blade at all. The logic behind this is that the PT and OT made him to be such an unstoppable badass of the Dark Side. In the OT, we saw him use Force Lightning. He didn't need the use of a lightsaber to kill or torture. At the time, Force lightning was a new addition to Star Wars - and it shocked (no pun intended) many people. To think that this gnarled old man could summon bolts of pure evil out of his fingertips and harm even a Jedi.

So. We know in the OT - Sidious didn't use a saber. We also know that he spent most of his time refreshing his connection with the Force. When he desired to inflict physical pain, he summoned Vader or one of his own lackies. In Revenge of The Sith, Palpatine's duel with Mace Windu and the others betrays the portrayal given from ESB, ROTJ, TMP, and AOTC. We knew he was powerful in the Force - to shield himself so easily from the Jedi - and to be the master of Count Dooku - who is the PT dueling GOD.

To me, he should've relied on some badass Force powers MORE than his saber skills.

DarkAge
^You make a good argument there, maybe you're right about that. Maybe some kind of Force power similar to lightning should have been used by Palpatine in RotS.

palpy_666
Originally posted by DarkAge
^You make a good argument there, maybe you're right about that. Maybe some kind of Force power similar to lightning should have been used by Palpatine in RotS.

I was hoping for some sort of Force Flamethrower technique. Technically, it could be done if one's anger (Dark Side) heats up the Force in the air surrounding one's hands and then shoots outward as guided by the users will over the Force.

Darth_Emodas
Originally posted by palpy_666
I was hoping for some sort of Force Flamethrower technique. Technically, it could be done if one's anger (Dark Side) heats up the Force in the air surrounding one's hands and then shoots outward as guided by the users will over the Force.

The Force can not create elements, it can only influence them.

Ushgarak
No, sorry, but we all know how it works in Star Wars- disputed betwene force users are settled by a Lightsabre.

Ok, so Palpatine took out a Padawan, but that's stretching the point to ridiculous. Dooku could only do it to an unprepared Anakin, afrter that he had to duel him; the power difference there far larger than between Sidious and his opponents.

You have to use a sabre. Therefore, Sidious had to use one.

darthsith19
Sidious didn't betray or lie to Maul.

King Kold
Sidious would of gotten rid of Darth Maul eventually when the time is right, I'm sure he knew Darth Maul would die then and he didn't care.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.