How long does it take Superman to get to the Earth from the Sun?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cosmo Kramer
If it takes light eight minutes can he do it faster?

Draco69
Apparently, yes. IF he goes TOWARDS the sun. It's common sense. He can already go at sublight speeds on Earth. As he gets nearer and nearer to the sun he'll surpass the speed of light.

Cosmo Kramer
interesting

Cosmo Kramer
i like you man your not like those new KMC posters

Draco69
Sadly trolls and children have taken over our haven. sad

The battle is lost...

Cosmo Kramer
no!

Cosmo Kramer
this used to be a place where you could forget lifes problems but they followed us

Draco69
Alot of people have already left. I may too. I like comicbookresources.com

masterbruce
"he'll surpass the speed of light"

really? didnt know that

Cosmo Kramer
ahh but we cant give up! If everyone leaves for a while like i have then they will too. The intruders and devil worshippers that is.

Cosmo Kramer
yeah he would its science.

Solidus Snake
i was on some website and it said in de atmosphere supes can reach 1% of light speed. in space hed go faster, but im not sure how much faster

Cosmo Kramer
so can Superman really get to Earth before light from the sun?

Avalonofthewind
He's done it in under 2 minutes Cosmo. To the sun and back to earth. So thats double the distance to your original question. I'm honestly not sure if it was because he was flying towards the sun or not...it was never stated. Going much faster than light, I dont know if the sun had any time to "charge" him or have any real effect.

Cosmo Kramer
thats krazy he was able to get that close to the sun.

Avalonofthewind
He can live inside the sun.

superman302
hes gotten to the sun in seconds when he was fighting wonderwoman , and darkseid, so apparently hes a whole lot faster then the speed of light.

Cosmo Kramer
yah thats like whoah

Cosmo Kramer
how come he has a little struggle with trains at times

Ultimate Ion
Because it's a comic book. Also because he can't go faster than Mach 10 in Earth's atmosphere without causing disturbances. The Flash has an aura which protects the Earth from his speed.

Cosmo Kramer
Say the Flash runs so fast he goes to China through the core?

armandovalles
Superman's powered by the Sun, so by getting energized at the sun and heading towards earth he could probly hit 10, 20, maybe even 30 times the speed of light.

Cosmo Kramer
hey i remember you your the guy who was mocked in a previous thread.

Cosmo Kramer
why they just couldnt say your name ill never understand.

armandovalles
how was i mocked?

Cosmo Kramer
i belive it was a thread about kmc most influential.

armandovalles
can u post me a link to that?

Cosmo Kramer
sorry i cant the search engine is down.

Cosmo Kramer
ill try to though.

manjaro
he carried darkseid to the sun while he was ranting, about how special supergirl was b4 blasting thru a boom tube....and that was about 2 full sentences, so that pretty damn quick

Tron
Wrong forum.

Moving

yahman
Originally posted by Draco69
Apparently, yes. IF he goes TOWARDS the sun. It's common sense. He can already go at sublight speeds on Earth. As he gets nearer and nearer to the sun he'll surpass the speed of light.

I thought it was impossible to achieve light speed in comics, without Speed Force or a link to Hyper Space, or a Warp drive engine. Is there no Time Dilation in D.C. comics ?

jplatinum
true.
He can go the speed of light in the vaccum of space.
The sun powers him, as he gets closer to the sun he gains several times more power, therefore he could convert this power into speed and possibly go several times the speed of light.

Hmmmm..... interesting theory, indeed.

acktually at the last comic of jla titled elit that came out about three or four months ago it states there that he can fly to the sun and back in less than a minute and this is coming from batman's own mouth and while coming bak to earth he was so powerful and moving so fast that even coldcast could not stop him he faced right through him and cold cast was sent by batman to absorb some of the power out of him so i think that also concludes the fact that silver surfers draining power would not work knowing how fast the man of steel can move they even said every power in his body becomes more powerful and he will soon develope other abilities in the future.

yahman
Originally posted by 56857
acktually at the last comic of jla titled elit that came out about three or four months ago it states there that he can fly to the sun and back in less than a minute and this is coming from batman's own mouth and while coming bak to earth he was so powerful and moving so fast that even coldcast could not stop him he faced right through him and cold cast was sent by batman to absorb some of the power out of him so i think that also concludes the fact that silver surfers draining power would not work knowing how fast the man of steel can move they even said every power in his body becomes more powerful and he will soon develope other abilities in the future.

If that is the case, the rumours are true, D.C. is reverting to the Days of Pre Crisis. sad

It should actually be impossible to reach the speed of light for two reasons:

1. Energy is converted into mass and therefore you need an Infinite mass to reach the Speed of light

2. The faster one goes the more time slows down, the faster you get to the speed of light the more time is slown down, there fore it would take forever to reach the speed of light.

This is a comic book though, where the laws of physics DO not apply. sad

Cosmo Kramer
I would love to ask DC what they think?

yahman
Originally posted by Cosmo Kramer
I would love to ask DC what they think?

About what ? smile

OB1-adobe
2-3 pages give or take how many ads there are.

ZephroCarnelian
In one precrisis issue, our Sun is turned into a red sun, giving off lethal red sunlight.

Not only did Supes fly BACKWARDS faster than the red sunlight....

He also managed to trace an exact path between the red sunlight and the yellow sunlight - making him able to repel the red sunlight whilst maintaining his powers.

Pre-Crisis Supes was the daddy.

smokin'

Mindship
Okay, here we go. In the hopeless attempt to apply real physics to Superman, consider: Superman is able to make use of solar energy by some as-yet unknown laws of biology and physics. No magic is involved, and as far as I know, he doesn't warp space or enter hyperspace, etc, etc. So how the hell does he go faster than light? This seems like a scientifically enlightened crowd here; we know the relativistic effects which would take place even if all the power in the universe were used to accelerate one electron. Unless I've missed something (wouldnt be the first time), Superman should Not be able to hit lightspeed, let alone surpass it.
That said, I've heard he can make 1% lightspeed. So, 8.3 minutes times 100 is 830 minutes, or just under 14 hours.
Superman should be able to reach the sun in that time, no sooner.
Fine and dandy. We can retract the laws of physics now.

ZephroCarnelian
That might be the case of post-crisis Supes.

Pre-crisis he had the power to warp the space/time continuum.

Hence he could time travel on a whim and fly across the universe in moments.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.