IS the Dark Side stronger?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth_Emodas
It's been said many times that the Force is split evenly into two sides, Dark and Light. Neither can overpower the other in theory, but Episode III would seem to contradict this.

Palpatine masterminded a grand scheme and successfully overthrew the Republic and the Jedi with the aid of Anakin Skywalker. When Yoda and Palpatine fought, it was clear Palpatine was the stronger.

This would seem to contradict the idea of the duality of the Force. It seemed that the Dark Side really was stronger, at least in the PT.

Thoughts?

Ushgarak
Yoda is clear in saying it is not stronger.

It SEEMS stronger because the Dark Side can get you what you want. This is its lure for Anakin- he sees in Dark what he could never achoeve in Light.

But it is a false strength. As GL describes it, whilst the Light side lives in symbiotic balance, working together in harmony, the Dark Side lives in a parasitic cycle, feeding upon and destroying itself. It cannot last; only the Light can.

So- quicker, easier, more seductive. But only a fool would think it actually more powerful just because you can achieve a few short-term goals with it.

And whilst to my mind, Windu had the better of Palpatine, that point is irrelevant- it just shows that Palpatine is better (or worse), not his side of the Force; this being a drama then inevitably the main bad guy will be high-powered.

tlbauerle
In light of SITH's flamboyant dark side nature...we can't overlook the message of the saga...the light side overcomes.

Darth_Emodas
Good points. However, is it not true that good and evil are fairly dependent on one's point of view (as Obi-Wan was so fond of saying)?

Some would say to do something well requires passion; serenity is certainly a desirable mindset but lack of passion can often leave one in the dust.

I believe Yoda and Mace understood this, as the two of them appeared to indulge in a little anger from time to time without being consumed by it. Mace used it to fuel his Vaapad and Yoda appeared to understand that the Force does not wholly control the wielder just as the wielder does not fully control the Force.

Ushgarak
Star Wars is a franchise with a black and white morailty; good is good and evil is evil. That's exactly how GL wants it.

Tangible God
The whole Bad vs. Good (Dark--Light), and if Yoda lost to Palpatine on purpose or not has been endlessly debated time and again. The whole dark and Light thing of the Force is exactly what people tend to love about this Opera, and is why most fans hate NJO. The series contradicts GL's (and everybody's) view that Good and Evil is a timeless battle, by saying that their IS no Light or Dark.

Evil and Darkness will never be ousted, it'll always return, only to get his ass whooped by Light, so that their's a brief intermission in the "dual."

Darth_Emodas
I never mentioned NJO for that reason, actually. I'm well aware of this forum's open hostiliy towards EU so I'm very careful to avoid references to it.

I believe, however, that there is evidence in the films that supports some of the things the Potentium view of the Force espouses. The Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn is perhaps the greatest example of this.

However, it appears there is no one interested in discussing this. Perhaps I would have better luck on the EU board?

You can lock this thread anytime, I misplaced it, and for that I apologize.

splendidAp
The darkside is indeed stronger. It means letting go of any morals and living off of your emotions. It means being wild. Without morals keeping you in check you have more oppurtunities to explore new dark secrets. The darkside will always be stronger than the light, because it puts no limits on itself like the light does. The light will always be weaker, because it follows a moral and thus more constricted path of what is right. If you belong to the light side, you are missing half of the spectrum of power available, so unfortunately, the light will always be weaker. BUT, the light will always prevail over the dark. It is weaker, but it is right. the dark is stronger, but its evil. The right comes with rewards, while the evil always gets punished. Its like heaven and hell. So, it may sound contradictory, but the weaker (the light side) will always prevail over the stronger but evil darkside.

Tangible God
The Dark just feeds on itself until it eventually destroys itself, it promises power and oppurtunity, but it just drains you.

JenR1215
The Drak Side is a bonus. im not sure if it's stronger in reality, but its very irrestisable.

I mean look:

If You're good you get: 1)Lighting, 2)Push, 3)Pull, 4)Mind Trick, 5) and if ur a master read minds.

If you're Bad you get: 1)Lighting, 2)Push, 3)Pull, 4)Mind Trick, 5) Drain, 6) Grip/Choking, 7) REalLY COOL EYES, and if ur a master
8) read minds.

I'd probably go to the Dark Side quickly b/c.. Hey you get to choke people. I'd be in school and if my teacher made me mad i'd be like..
***** (choke) YOU WANNA FUK WITH ME?? (throw against the wall)
CHANGE THE FUKING GRADE DAMMIT!

ooooh that'd be awsum. devil rock

b-dan
yes it is for one u get red light sabers and u kill people for fun and for a little fun bonus lightening fingures!!!!!!!

DiamondBullets
"No,no,no...quicker, easier, more seductive."

-Master Yoda to Luke

Darth_Emodas
Originally posted by splendidAp
The darkside is indeed stronger. It means letting go of any morals and living off of your emotions. It means being wild. Without morals keeping you in check you have more oppurtunities to explore new dark secrets. The darkside will always be stronger than the light, because it puts no limits on itself like the light does. The light will always be weaker, because it follows a moral and thus more constricted path of what is right. If you belong to the light side, you are missing half of the spectrum of power available, so unfortunately, the light will always be weaker. BUT, the light will always prevail over the dark. It is weaker, but it is right. the dark is stronger, but its evil. The right comes with rewards, while the evil always gets punished. Its like heaven and hell. So, it may sound contradictory, but the weaker (the light side) will always prevail over the stronger but evil darkside.

I do share this belief though it seems to run contrary to what GL says. Balance is such a subjective term, and the Force is often described as a river that Jedi can dip into, but never reach the bottom. Of course, Jedi are not the only ones to 'go swimming' as it were. wink

JenR1215
i couldn't be a Good Jedi... NO SEX MAN! THAT'S A BUMMER.

But i know Obi-Wan be hitting his shit aound.. he's to good to be true. he has to have sum little secret about him. droolio

Darth Somebody
Well, it depends on how one perceives strength. If I were in a battle, and had to choose between possessing the powers of a Jedi versus the powers of a Sith Lord, I would choose the Sith Lord. In battle, they have the advantage of offensive Force-powers and the rage that goes along with aggression and brute force.

Yoda and Palpatine are the paragons of the opposite side of the Force. Palpatine was powerful enough to shield himself from the Jedi Order, and that required a vast amount of ability to do. However, this cannot all be attributed to Palpatine. We do not know if it was he who caused the veil to slip over their eyes - or if he were simply reaping the benefits of it.

The balance of the Force tipped from light supremacy to dark supremecy. It was clear that Yoda wasn't going to win in his showdown with the Emperor. However, it is because Yoda is weaker? I don't know. Or could it be a side-effect of the fact that the Force is now supporting the Dark Side?

Palpatine was no push-over, to be sure. It was obvious that of all the movie characters, it was he and he alone who possessed the ability to put Yoda to the test. But was he more powerful? No. They were equal. Yoda could defend himself against Palpatine's lightning, but he could never break through Palpatine's defenses. According to the official script - Yoda was meant to basically defeat Palpatine - but Palpatine was going to win because of luck.

I disagree with Lucas's reasoning here, considering how Revenge of the Sith should be designed on how the Sith won and how the Jedi lost. But who am I to argue with the Lord of Inconsistancy?

Palpatine represents the true embodiment of evil. He is without a doubt my favorite character. He duped the Jedi, he took over the galaxy, and he masterminded the destruction of the Republic. He deserves credit and the fact that he did this without them discovering until HE decided to reveal himself speaks a lot. He won, and that's that.

But on NEUTRAL ground - COMPLETELY neutral - I do believe Yoda might beat Sidious in the end. The site says otherwise. But the script disagrees with the site. On normal conditions, the script would win - but the script wasn't entirely used - and can't be considered 100 percent valid.

So it's a tossup to me.

Captain REX
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Yoda is clear in saying it is not stronger.

It SEEMS stronger because the Dark Side can get you what you want. This is its lure for Anakin- he sees in Dark what he could never achoeve in Light.

But it is a false strength. As GL describes it, whilst the Light side lives in symbiotic balance, working together in harmony, the Dark Side lives in a parasitic cycle, feeding upon and destroying itself. It cannot last; only the Light can.

So- quicker, easier, more seductive. But only a fool would think it actually more powerful just because you can achieve a few short-term goals with it.

And whilst to my mind, Windu had the better of Palpatine, that point is irrelevant- it just shows that Palpatine is better (or worse), not his side of the Force; this being a drama then inevitably the main bad guy will be high-powered.

If there is a better answer than this one, I haven't seen it.

tlbauerle
AAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

To respond I would either have to quote Yoda, once again...

....or get into another long disagreement with USH about how the black and white good and evil intention is thrown out the window with the prequels.

Perhaps...I'll just be pissed that I have to stare at that damn ad for THE MAN yet AGAIN!

Captain REX
How did the prequels throw black and white good and evil out the window? Who was evil and who was good was clear to me.

Sir Mist
Originally posted by JenR1215
If You're good you get: 1)Lighting, 2)Push, 3)Pull, 4)Mind Trick, 5) and if ur a master read minds.

If you're Bad you get: 1)Lighting, 2)Push, 3)Pull, 4)Mind Trick, 5) Drain, 6) Grip/Choking, 7) REalLY COOL EYES, and if ur a master
8) read minds.

Sounds like youve been playing too much Jedi Academylaughing out loud

Ushgarak
Again, Emodas, Balance isn't subjective in Star Wars; GL has something very specific in mind with it.

Darth_Emodas
Originally posted by Darth Somebody
Well, it depends on how one perceives strength. If I were in a battle, and had to choose between possessing the powers of a Jedi versus the powers of a Sith Lord, I would choose the Sith Lord. In battle, they have the advantage of offensive Force-powers and the rage that goes along with aggression and brute force.

Yoda and Palpatine are the paragons of the opposite side of the Force. Palpatine was powerful enough to shield himself from the Jedi Order, and that required a vast amount of ability to do. However, this cannot all be attributed to Palpatine. We do not know if it was he who caused the veil to slip over their eyes - or if he were simply reaping the benefits of it.

The balance of the Force tipped from light supremacy to dark supremecy. It was clear that Yoda wasn't going to win in his showdown with the Emperor. However, it is because Yoda is weaker? I don't know. Or could it be a side-effect of the fact that the Force is now supporting the Dark Side?

Palpatine was no push-over, to be sure. It was obvious that of all the movie characters, it was he and he alone who possessed the ability to put Yoda to the test. But was he more powerful? No. They were equal. Yoda could defend himself against Palpatine's lightning, but he could never break through Palpatine's defenses. According to the official script - Yoda was meant to basically defeat Palpatine - but Palpatine was going to win because of luck.

I disagree with Lucas's reasoning here, considering how Revenge of the Sith should be designed on how the Sith won and how the Jedi lost. But who am I to argue with the Lord of Inconsistancy?

Palpatine represents the true embodiment of evil. He is without a doubt my favorite character. He duped the Jedi, he took over the galaxy, and he masterminded the destruction of the Republic. He deserves credit and the fact that he did this without them discovering until HE decided to reveal himself speaks a lot. He won, and that's that.

But on NEUTRAL ground - COMPLETELY neutral - I do believe Yoda might beat Sidious in the end. The site says otherwise. But the script disagrees with the site. On normal conditions, the script would win - but the script wasn't entirely used - and can't be considered 100 percent valid.

So it's a tossup to me.

Good answer. Personally, I believe Yoda and Palpatine, on neutral ground, would probably fight until exhaustion. At that point, it would be a 50-50 chance of either winning, I agree. I suppose I should've been more clear: in the situation that Yoda and Palpatine fought in, Palpatine was the stronger simply because he had a few advantages on his side. His mastery of the Force was likely no greater since he is certainly a great deal younger than Yoda. I doubt any SW character has a greater overall understanding of the Force than Yoda simply due to his age.

I think Qui-Gon is a good example of a non-traditional Jedi. His motives were certainly good, but he obviously believed that the ends justify the means in most cases due to his rather reckless approach to certain problems. He understood that the Force flows differently than the way most Jedi view it, and this made him extremely powerful.

Examples: he showed obvious irritation at Jar Jar when they first met, and had some affection for Shmi Skywalker even if he didn't allow it to progress very far. This was a man that was not afraid to feel yet he managed to avoid the Dark path.

However, he was getting old (near 60) and he simply was not able to match a young Sith such as Darth Maul 1 on 1 for a length of time. He got tired, that's all. Had that force field not held Obi-Wan back for the second time, I believe the outcome would've been very different.

To those of you getting offended and bristling with potential flames, calm down. I'm not trying to devalue GL's opinions. He made SW so it is his. This does not mean that these sorts of discussions should be shot down immediately because they are not 100% canon. I'm not citing books, I'm citing direct examples from the movies. You cannot deny this evidence as non-canonical.

Ushgarak
No, but any attempt to state something which is contradicted by GL, as a fact, certainly should be shot down.

Age has nothing to do with it; Dooku was a lethal sabreist. QGJ and Maul were well matched; Gilliard designed the fights so QGJ got the better of Maul at Tatooine, but Maul won it at Naboo. C'est la vie.

I really don't get the rest of what you are saying either. QGJ was certainly a proponent of the Living Force, but the behaviour you site is not unusual; Yoda and Obi-Wan both show irritation at times and Obi-Wan shows affection also. It's far more a case of like bheaviour being shown down the line of Master to Apprentice, nothing to do with their views on the Force.

ALL Jedi can feel.

Darth_Emodas
Originally posted by Ushgarak
No, but any attempt to state something which is contradicted by GL, as a fact, certainly should be shot down.

Age has nothing to do with it; Dooku was a lethal sabreist. QGJ and Maul were well matched; Gilliard designed the fights so QGJ got the better of Maul at Tatooine, but Maul won it at Naboo. C'est la vie.

I really don't get the rest of what you are saying either. QGJ was certainly a proponent of the Living Force, but the behaviour you site is not unusual; Yoda and Obi-Wan both show irritation at times and Obi-Wan shows affection also. It's far more a case of like bheaviour being shown down the line of Master to Apprentice, nothing to do with their views on the Force.

ALL Jedi can feel.

But they are certainly not supposed to because feeling can lead to attachment.

I'm not stating anything as fact, I'm only pointing out something I feel is apparent in the films.

Watch Duel of the Fates again, Qui-Gon is getting tired towards the end of his duel with Maul; Maul was not. It's a given that the Force can lift the burden of years, but only for so long; we see this in Episode II with Yoda being able to bounce around like that despite being older than most sentient beings in the galaxy.

Ushgarak
I've watched Duel of the Fates and I see no evidence of that.

And of course Jedi are not forbidden from affection or, therefore, friendship! That's a country mile short of attachment in the form that is dangerous to them.

JenR1215
Originally posted by Sir Mist
Sounds like youve been playing too much Jedi Academylaughing out loud

DUDE, HOW DID U KNOW?? THAT'S SOOOO COOL!!!!! rockon

band Happy Dance

starwars

InsaneNoodlyGuy
What's more important is that the Dark Side is COOLER. You get lightning, choking bitches, and laid if you want. It's that, or serve a muppet.

JenR1215
one good/bad thing about the darkside when it comes to sex... it could get a litte dangerous, and u better not be bad or they'll choke sumthing ELES....

Colettetheklutz
embarrasment i think that the darkside may be stronger to somepoints and the light side has it's advantages and disadvantages as well.

though the darkside is fueled by rage, passion, and hate, or as i like to say whatever came out when pandora opened the box, the dark and lightsides are essentially equal.

like yin and yang they oppose and balance eachother. Even though everyonce in a while one will overpower the other( in Ep. III the jedi rule was ended by the sith and in Ep. VI vice versa) they cannot exsist with out each other. if the light side were ever to perish completely so would the dark side of the force because there would be no one to oppose it and the darkside can't be "dark" if it is the only thing that is known.

well basically you can't have light with out shadow and you can't have shadow without light so neither side of the force is more powerful than the other because everytime oneside comes to power the otherside falls, it is an endless cycle and truth of life.

Just my view on it anyway ^ - ^

Ushgarak
GL doesn't actually have a Yin-Yang view of Balance. In his Galaxy, a balanced Galaxy is an all-Light one, Light being the force of Balance.

shaber
The Dark side is easier to master and more seductive.

Tangible God
Originally posted by shaber
The Dark side is easier to master and more seductive. So hence, it's more of a turn-on.

Darth_Sadistic
The dark side is by far the stronger of the two with no exception.

Even though light usually prevails over dark people seem to forget that most light saber duels won by Jedi are only won when the Jedi taps into his own anger which everyone knows is the main path to the Dark Side. Maul vs. Kenobi, obi-wan only won when he became furious at the death of Qui-Gon. Dooku beat both Anakin and Kenobi because he was already on the dark side. Yoda and dooku had no victor. Anakin defeated dooku later with the idea of revenge set into his mind. Even though windu had the "advantage" over palpatine it was clear he was just playing possum to get anakin to take matters into his own hands. Sideous beat Yoda. Vader killed kenobi, and beat luke. Luke only beat Vader when he threatened Leah and luke used his anger to beat vader.

The only time light ever prevailed with no influence from dark was when kenobi sliced anakin up.

So it is clear the power of the dark side influences the Jedi victories, and even though the Jedi can fight off the urge to turn, they would be dead without the "help" so to speak.

It was even said by Palpatine himself the only man to to be able to manipulate the force to his own will was the Sith lord Darth Plaugis the Wise. So even though the dark side can devourer yourself if you use it, if you can truly master it as Darth Plaugis, Darth Bane (plapatines mentor), and of course Palpatine you can become the most powerful being in the universe which is why it was so easy for Palpatine to defeat the Jedi.

Darkness exists inside all men, to give into it can be the cause of your demise, but to control it can make it your best asset.

Palpatine was just unlucky that bastard Anakin did not give all of himself to his anger, which is a shame for he would have ruled all of the galaxy. Too bad Vader.

darthvader_fan
the dim side is the strongest of all

Tangible God
Originally posted by Darth_Sadistic
The dark side is by far the stronger of the two with no exception.

Even though light usually prevails over dark people seem to forget that most light saber duels won by Jedi are only won when the Jedi taps into his own anger which everyone knows is the main path to the Dark Side. Maul vs. Kenobi, obi-wan only won when he became furious at the death of Qui-Gon. Dooku beat both Anakin and Kenobi because he was already on the dark side. Yoda and dooku had no victor. Anakin defeated dooku later with the idea of revenge set into his mind. Even though windu had the "advantage" over palpatine it was clear he was just playing possum to get anakin to take matters into his own hands. Sideous beat Yoda. Vader killed kenobi, and beat luke. Luke only beat Vader when he threatened Leah and luke used his anger to beat vader.

The only time light ever prevailed with no influence from dark was when kenobi sliced anakin up.

So it is clear the power of the dark side influences the Jedi victories, and even though the Jedi can fight off the urge to turn, they would be dead without the "help" so to speak.

It was even said by Palpatine himself the only man to to be able to manipulate the force to his own will was the Sith lord Darth Plaugis the Wise. So even though the dark side can devourer yourself if you use it, if you can truly master it as Darth Plaugis, Darth Bane (plapatines mentor), and of course Palpatine you can become the most powerful being in the universe which is why it was so easy for Palpatine to defeat the Jedi.

Darkness exists inside all men, to give into it can be the cause of your demise, but to control it can make it your best asset.

Palpatine was just unlucky that bastard Anakin did not give all of himself to his anger, which is a shame for he would have ruled all of the galaxy. Too bad Vader. For theatrical thrill, they HAD to have the Jedi tap into the Dark.

And if you remember, in Palpy's office, after Anakin swore himself to Pulp...Palp, Sidious admitted that he didn't know how to manipulate midichlorians, or stop death.

Veneficus
The Dark Side is stronger in raw ability...but with its strength it brings weakness and corruption as well as power...so one must weigh the advantages and disadvantages carefully.

Captain REX
The Dark Side and Light Side are pretty equal. The Dark Side can cloud the Light Side's view of the future, however. I'm sure the Light Side could do something similar if they felt the need or knew how.

The Dark Side is just quicker than becoming powerful with the Light Side, as Yoda said himself.

Red Superfly
We've been over this before.

Dark side lost. Light side won.

I count 3 immortal Jedi at the end of the story.

Palpatine was only mortal.

Star Wars is a pretty basic morality tale. The dark side seem stronger, but the good side is ultimately, and infinitely, more powerful.

THAT's the moral of the story right there. Being bad may give you quick results but leading a selfless and noble life leads to greater things. The ability to "own" in a fight does NOT mean greater power. Knowledge, enlightenment, selflessness and wisdom is the greater power - it leads to immortality, and infinite influence after all. Killing is seen as pointless. Killing Obi-Wan didn't make "Team Sith" more powerful, because it actually made "Team Jedi" more powerful.

Being able to kill is only a fraction of what "power" really is.

Anyone that disagrees clearly doesn't pay attention during Return Of The Jedi.

JediRobin23
What is meant by stronger?

In terms of good overcoming evil doesnot really say much, its the same as saying that evil has oversome good. (Palpatine ruling the galaxy). There will always be evil, and there will always be good. Its just a cycle, and you can put it in anyway you want to.

Tangible God
Originally posted by JediRobin23
What is meant by stronger?

In terms of good overcoming evil doesnot really say much, its the same as saying that evil has oversome good. (Palpatine ruling the galaxy). There will always be evil, and there will always be good. Its just a cycle, and you can put it in anyway you want to. You can pull it which way or another, but in the end...IN STAR WARS ONLY...The Good, or Light ALWAYS has prevailed...eventually.

Jedi StunRun
IS the Dark Side stronger?

im tooooooooooo rapped up in Revenge Of The Sith - so i'd say it is devil

InsaneNoodlyGuy
Anyone that disagrees clearly doesn't pay attention during Return Of The Jedi.

I paid attention when Luke won using the power of the dark side. had he not, Vader would have certainly killed him, the vader and the emperor would have survived to escape, and the whole thing would be far from over. Then they'd probably go seek out Leia who, with no training at all and quite a temper, would have fallen quite easily to the darkside and secured the legacy of the sith.

Your feelings make you strong.

darthvader_fan
Originally posted by InsaneNoodlyGuy
I paid attention when Luke won using the power of the dark side. had he not, Vader would have certainly killed him, the vader and the emperor would have survived to escape, and the whole thing would be far from over. Then they'd probably go seek out Leia who, with no training at all and quite a temper, would have fallen quite easily to the darkside and secured the legacy of the sith.

yea...................................right

Red Superfly
Originally posted by InsaneNoodlyGuy

What did I say dude? The dark side may provide that "physicality" needed too win a straight up fight, but it achieves nothing in the long run. Again, your basing your opinion the assumption that winning fights = ultimate power, which is wrong. The movies have proven this.

If anything the prequels have done right is to prove how the dark side merely tricks you. You sell your sould to the devil, and hemakes you THINK you are all powerful, when in actual fact, you've lost a great deal of strength by succumbing to it in the first place.

What DID happen was that Luke overpowerred the dark side and saved his father. He did this on an emotional level, something his father couldn't do. Like I said, physical ability to win fights is only a fraction of what makes up "power" in Star Wars.

The Sith focus on being able to defeat everyone in fights. Their speiality is fighting and aggressiveness, so they start the fights in the first place. It's like a demon bringing an angel into hell, their arena. The Jedi don't like to fight. They battle with knowledge, wisdom and passiveness, because it is "higher" than fighting.

Saving life is greater than destroying it. That is what Star wars is trying to tell us, and even when I was a kid I understood that the light side was more powerful. It beat the dark side outright. Sure, many Jedi may have died, but they became one with the force and truly became more powerful than any sith could ever imagine. It's a moral tale - when will people realise this? Good side = stronger.

darthvader_fan
you need to be physically and mentally strong to be strong in the darkside. Darth Vader had an advantage. He was powerfull in the force and he had mecanical arms and legs to make him near invicible. his only flaw was that he was crippeld. he had a mecanical lung so he got tired real quick

Red Superfly
As far as I can tell - this has nothing to do with which side is more powerful, and only serves to illustrate the fact that the dark side screws you over and makes you think you are powerful.

Dark side destroys life. Star Wars has made that clear. Vader and Palpatine physically wane and become disfigurred. How can loss of life be more powerful? The dark side turns in on itself and it just destroys until there is nothing left. That is the imbalance. If The Force does not balance, everything will be consumed and all life will be in a perpetual war with itself until there is no more life.

And as for being mentally strong to use the dark side - no. Succumbing to the dark side has been shown as a lack of control, resolve and knowledge. Dark side users are only kidding themselves - Lucas has even said that.

overlord
Didn't Mace Windu use the dark side for his fights?
Luke used it too, they didn't do it for fun.
Although the dark side has an unlimited supply of power, it can consume you.. Muhahahaha!!

Nai Fohl
Woah...things are really getting ugly here...

The Light Side is clearly stronger than the Dark Side. You can have a look on this topic from every possible point of view but at least it comes down to the following points:

- The Dark Side has cooler force powers but they all can be blocked with light side abilities. That results in both sides being equal when it comes to "force powers". Oh stop. Being a Jedi you have the opportunity to become immortal since you can remain as a individual spirit within the force. Score: Light Side 1, Dark Side 0

- The Dark Side consumes you while the Light Side does not. Score: Light Side 2, Dark Side 0

- The Dark Side makes you lose control over your feelings and emotions which might result in killing your friends and beloved ones. Score: Light Side 3, Dark Side 0

- While fighting Light Side users stay calm where Dark Side users can be easily taunted to make stupid mistakes. Score: Light Side 4, Dark Side 0.

Well...Light Side wins. The only advantage the Dark Side has is that it seems to make you more powerful (giving you more power) compared to the Light Side in shorter time. But you have to pay for that and - considering the price - in most cases you have to pay a prize higher than you want and even higher than the worth of the Dark Side abiliities.

Using the Dark Side is pretty much similar to having a pact with the devil. It gives you unbelieveable power but at the end it costs your soul, your life...everything you had. It's never worth the cost.

Tangible God
Nai gets this.

InsaneNoodlyGuy
1. The dark side gets you laid. That's a damn effective power. Plus, If luke hadn't used the dark side, balance would have been lost to the universe. It is, at least sometimes, necessary. The light side was doing jack and shit for him in that fight. As for immortality... who want's it? Do you have any idea how boring it would be to live forever?

2. When the hell did we see the dark side consume anyone? since we can only use moveis for the sake of this argument, all we've seen the dark side do is change your eyes. As to Sideuos, well, he got lighning in his face. If we'd jabbed a lightsaber into yoda's forehead, the stress on his body would have made him look alot uglier in 17 years too.

3. If you get deep enough into it, you don't need pussy friends and loved ones... Okay that's kinda week. I'll give you this one.

4. When did any sith lord make a stupid mistake? The only person who ever really screwed up was anakin, and that's because anakin was stupid more then a consistent dark side flaw. Besides, Obi wan's higher ground gave him a +5 hax agility. And in the end, the emperor's only real mistake was that he didn't see the betrayl coming from the one handed guy gasping on the floor for air.

Say what you will, but the two generations of force users most responsible for bringing balance to the force used the dark side at key moments.

Ganner Rhysode
The Dark and Light sides of the Force, IMO, are like an hourglass. One side is always prevailing, the other is always in decline. As assuredly as Emperor Palpatine took over, the Rebellion prevailed when they arose and defeated the Empire. However, just as assuredly as they would win, some dark force will rise again.

You can use this philosophy in real life, too - you can say things always end up turning out for the better, or that things always end up turning bad - in either instance, they're constantly going back and forth. The same is true of the Force. Dark Jedi and Sith WILL arise again, despite the Empire's falling.

Tangible God
You can bring peace for a while, but ssomething will always arise to destroy that peace. that thing is what we have defined as evil, and peace would be good. Good wins sometimes and everybodys happy, but the evil rears its ugly head and good has to fight that evil with a price to pay at the end of it.

Like WWI, it ends and everybody cool, but then WWII happens and everybody's sad, but then evil's defeated and everybody's happy again, and so on and so on.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.