The Offical NJO discussion thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
Okay, so I know a large amount of you do not like NJO, but there have to be some that do, so here is the place to discuss the books. It doesn't matter if you have already read the series or are just starting, but talk about the series here... Id be curious to know:
Favorite Book:
Favorite Character:
Favorite Event/Moment:
so on...

*Note* If you don't like the series please be respectful to those who do. Debate is welcome but not mocking or making fun of the series.

Enjoy! smokin'

Dragon 89
Dammit you took all the fun out of my evening! stick out tongue

Lord Janus
Hm. I'd like to hear a bit about a few people from those of you who have better NJo knowledge than I do:

In particular, Corran Horn, Kyp Durron, and even... do the movie characters stay true to themselves?

SnakeEyes
With the exception to NJO Luke's all too amazing feats (which don't happen as frequently as you may think), I really think that the characters are very similar to how they were in the movies. Kyp and Corran are some of my favorite characters in the series.

Information on Kyp: http://www.theforce.net/swenc/entrydesc.asp?search=7419

Information on Corran: http://www.theforce.net/swenc/entrydesc.asp?search=11540

(Each bio above includes spoilers so be careful)

I think that, despite its flaws, NJO is a decent series. Relationships, character/plot development, and battles are well done and there's some sarcasm in there as well.

Lord Janus
Man, I haven't been to that website in over a year.

Hm. Well, NJo might be getting worse of a rep than it deserves, but then again... I still have beef with the whole "organic technology based super baddies who aren't part of the Force". That was pretty nimrodish, as was the twisting of GL's philosophy. If Luke is a real Jedi, he would abide by the code. Even DE series made a serious error by making Luke fall to the darkside. It undermined his major choice that he made in ROTJ. But that's just me.

Darth Koroni
Yeah, but we so far haven't seen a real Jedi, they just seem to be using there code to bash others than follow it themselves.

ObiWan1982
I am one of the few who happens to like the NJO series (I readily admit that it has flaws but on the whole I enjoyed it).

As for my favorite book... that would have to be Star by Star... favorite character is Kyp Durron... favorite moment would be when Lando Calrissian leads his YVH-1 Droids into battle in Rebel Stand (or Dream... cant remember).

Dan Skywalker
Im currently reading Battle Lines II Rebel Stand and im loving it, although I no the story of all the future books im still looking forward to reading the last few. Favourite moment was deffinatly the invasion of Coruscant, and so Star By Star is my favourite book. I love all the Jedi characters, and thought Hans storyline after chewies death was fantastic. Mara Jade and Lukes relationship I think is fun too. Basically I love the entire NJO saga, and cant wait to read The Unified Force

SnakeEyes
I'm reading the same book currently ^

Darth_Glentract
Wow, I read NJO like a year or so ago. What's taking you guys so long? JK.

I like the series(even if I have bashed it in the past, it was just because I didn't feel like getting flamed for it. NJO rocks. Luke wasn't really that overpowered for 99% of it. Ganner's last stand is one of my favorite parts of any star wars book. Haven't read Star by Star, but I have it somewhere.

Darth_Emodas
Luke had been using the force for close to 30 years by the time NJO came around. I hardly imagine that the son of the Chosen one would have many things he isn't capable of accomplishing. Who knows how powerfully the Force is with him by then?

I had a few problems with some of the ideas, namely the killing of so many notable characters (big mistake IMO) as well as the concept of a race that lives outside the Force (which we know to be impossible, frankly. The explanation they offer just does not hold up.)

Further, there were times when I felt Luke was too limited, particularly during their search for Zonoma Sekot. They land on a planet full of a symbiotic race that tends to be rather wild and unrestrained. The author actually made it seem like the son of the chosen one would be overwhelmed by mere animals, which is quite impossible even without the use of the dark side.

The greatest thing I enjoyed about NJO was the Potentium view of the Force. I feel it has merit and have found plausible evidence for its existence in the films.

ResubianNushi
Originally posted by Darth_Emodas
Luke had been using the force for close to 30 years by the time NJO came around. I hardly imagine that the son of the Chosen one would have many things he isn't capable of accomplishing. Who knows how powerfully the Force is with him by then?

I had a few problems with some of the ideas, namely the killing of so many notable characters (big mistake IMO) as well as the concept of a race that lives outside the Force (which we know to be impossible, frankly. The explanation they offer just does not hold up.)

Further, there were times when I felt Luke was too limited, particularly during their search for Zonoma Sekot. They land on a planet full of a symbiotic race that tends to be rather wild and unrestrained. The author actually made it seem like the son of the chosen one would be overwhelmed by mere animals, which is quite impossible even without the use of the dark side.

The greatest thing I enjoyed about NJO was the Potentium view of the Force. I feel it has merit and have found plausible evidence for its existence in the films.

First reason is a theory, and the last thing id the reason why I hate the NJO series so much. It contradicts everything layed down in the movies. It's a unplausible theory that goes against GL's intentions.

Darth_Emodas
Originally posted by ResubianNushi
First reason is a theory, and the last thing id the reason why I hate the NJO series so much. It contradicts everything layed down in the movies. It's a unplausible theory that goes against GL's intentions.

How are you so sure of that? He never said 'hate the Potentium, its a lie'.

The next time you watch Episode I, observe Qui-Gon Jinn closely. You will see what I mean.

Captain REX
What is this Potentium view?

Tangible God
The books were...OK. Most of the scenes where there's no Force discussion, or Force narrative, were actually quite all right. Also, whenever the Vong's technology was brought into the dialogue and/or narrative, things went downhill.

But the battle descriptions and anything to do militarily, or how the Vong were conquering planet after planet with no way to stop them (then the goddamn Force is brought up) were the better moments. And what little humour there was in the series brought a boost every now and then.

Darth_Emodas
Originally posted by Captain REX

It's a view that holds that the Force is one and does not take sides. According to Potentium, a Force user freely uses passion or serenity based on the situation at hand without strongly favoring either. Whatever is unleashed, be it Darkness or Light, is a reflection of what is in the heart of the user in question.

This contradict's GL's view and descriptions of the Force, and thus is very controversial. Many fans appear to meet this view with hostility.

I feel this view holds merit, particularly given how Qui-Gon Jinn's character appears to be capable of feelings without falling to the Dark Side.

Lord Janus
A very good question

Darth_Glentract
It's the whole there is no light or dark crap.

Lord Janus
It's a view that holds that the Force is one and does not take sides. According to Potentium, a Force user freely uses passion or serenity based on the situation at hand without strongly favoring either. Whatever is unleashed, be it Darkness or Light, is a reflection of what is in the heart of the user in question.

This contradict's GL's view and descriptions of the Force, and thus is very controversial. Many fans appear to meet this view with hostility.

I feel this view holds merit, particularly given how Qui-Gon Jinn's character appears to be capable of feelings without falling to the Dark Side.

Sounds very irresponsible and new ageish. Personally, I can't see how people can use power just "to reflect their inner nature". Power corrupts unless measures are taken. Always has, always will. This is ridiculous, and it's not just anti-GL, it's not even logical.

Illustrious
Correct. The reason I was turned off to NJO was twofold: poor writing and poor ideas; there are many instances where the series pushes a boundary that doesn't need to be pushed in what seems like milking the cow dry.

Darth_Emodas
Well I feel it pushes the issue that morality is extremely subjective and is not a universal thing.

But I do admit that perhaps this issue was never meant to be pushed in the Realm of SW.

Veneficus
Well I feel it pushes the issue that morality is extremely subjective and is not a universal thing.

But I do admit that perhaps this issue was never meant to be pushed in the Realm of SW.

It is a theory better pushed in Forgotten Realms than SW.

overlord
Originally posted by Veneficus
It is a theory better pushed in Forgotten Realms than SW.

Already a new name, Veneficus?
You previously were Rand al'Thor weren't you?

Veneficus
Originally posted by overlord
Already a new name, Veneficus?
You previously were Rand al'Thor weren't you?

Yes Rand al'Thor was my newer acount created in May. This acount was created in January but the system screwed up and now says it was created in June!

Tangible God
Those bastards!

overlord
Originally posted by Veneficus
Yes Rand al'Thor was my newer acount created in May. This acount was created in January but the system screwed up and now says it was created in June!

Okay (it says you registered in august 6 though), what do you think of my name by the way?
I think it is the stupidest name ever, I was hoping everybody would hate me when I chose it.

Tangible God
Okay, what do you think of my name by the way?
I think it is the stupidest name ever, I was hoping everybody would hate me when I chose it. You bastard.

overlord
Originally posted by Tangible God
You bastard.

Now you have offended me for the last time! CONSIDER YOURSELF REPORTED AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!!1!!!1!!111!!

Captain REX

I will be one of those people to meet it with hostility. It completely pisses all over George's descriptions and views. No Dark or Light Sides? Ridiculous. It's very obvious in the movies who is evil and who is not, with the exception of Palpatine, though we already know he's evil just by name.

Qui-Gon Jinn is clearly Light Side, despite his renegade tendencies. Jedi can have emotion, but they just can't use it for power.

Tangible God
(sighs) I knew it would come to this.

Choose your weapon, pistols? Swords? Family Guy reruns?

overlord
Originally posted by Tangible God
(sighs) I knew it would come to this.

Choose your weapon, pistols? Swords? Family Guy reruns?

eek! Family Guy?? Yuuuuuuuuk!! I give up.
Next time I think I am going to call myself god like you, that seems like a tres bien idea..
BTW what was topic??

Captain REX
Yeah, if there is actually anything going on here, cut it out before I destroy the world... no expression

Okay (it says you registered in august 6 though), what do you think of my name by the way?
I think it is the stupidest name ever, I was hoping everybody would hate me when I chose it.

It says June 7, it uses the American dating system.

overlord
Yeah, if there is actually anything going on here, cut it out before I destroy the world... no expression

It says June 7, it uses the American dating system.

Do they also use different date thingy's?? And I thought that whole inches and Farenheit stuff was annoying..
I don't know ANYTHING!!!

Tangible God
WOOOOO! AMERICA rocks!

(snickers) And I'm Canadian too. I'm one of a million. All the rest are Bush-bashers.

Julie
It's very hard to pick a favorite NJO book. I did not like hero's Trial and the other half of this duology. The two that focused on Anakin solo were good.

Mara Jade Skywalker comes to mind as a fav character but again ,...this shifts daily...there are so many lovable charaters.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Julie
It's very hard to pick a favorite NJO book. I did not like hero's Trial and the other half of this duology. The two that focused on Anakin solo were good.

Mara Jade Skywalker comes to mind as a fav character but again ,...this shifts daily...there are so many lovable charaters. Yes they ARE so lovable, all the studs and bitches are fantastic.

SnakeEyes
Just so you know, I didn't make this thread so that everyone (with some exceptions) could come here and bash the series...

InsaneNoodlyGuy
Fave Book:Traitor
Fave Character/Moment: Vergere for giving us so much to piss people off with. Potentium rocks!

Captain REX
*kills Potentium with electro-nunchuku*

Deus Ex
lol

Sorgo
Originally posted by Deus Ex
lol

Well, the New Jawa Order is here to take over this thread, due to the fact the Jawa Acronym is in the title of the thread.

We win. This thread be ours.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.