Is knowledge based on faith ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Atlantis001
In epistemology knowledge is defined as being justified beliefs. I mean we have to believe in something to justify our faith for something to be know to us. In science, empirism = "facts grant us knowledge about reality" will be the way we justify our faith. We cannot do nothing more than just believe in empirism. Does it mean science in based on faith ?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Atlantis001
In epistemology knowledge is defined as being justified beliefs. I mean we have to believe in something to justify our faith for something to be know to us. In science, empirism = "facts grant us knowledge about reality" will be the way we justify our faith. We cannot do nothing more than just believe in empirism. Does it mean science in based on faith ?

We can not truly understand any part of a complex system until we understand the entire complex system. We can not understand the universe, so we have to build our knowledge on observing the actions of parts of the universe. We should alway keep a sceptics eye when comparing theories with observation. We should never have faith in what we believe to be true, but realize that we are always subject to changing our ideas to match observation.

Pandemoniac
Originally posted by Atlantis001
In epistemology knowledge is defined as being justified beliefs. I mean we have to believe in something to justify our faith so something can be know to us. In science, empirism = "facts grant us knowledge about reality" will be the way we justify our faith. Does it mean science in based in faith ?

Science is the search for truth, and contradicts with faith on many occasions. Faith is often based on outdated believes, while science, in it's quest for true knowlegde, tries to see beyond. Not that it hits goal at every shot, but it atleast reveals alternatives, making faith doubtfull.
Faith can be seen as known truth at times, remember the flat earth theory? So far, science has proven more believes incorrect instead of vica versa.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
Science is the search for truth, and contradicts with faith on many occasions. Faith is often based on outdated believes, while science, in it's quest for true knowlegde, tries to see beyond. Not that it hits goal at every shot, but it atleast reveals alternatives, making faith doubtfull.
Faith can be seen as known truth at times, remember the flat earth theory? So far, science has proven more believes incorrect instead of vica versa.

When I read your post I get the feeling that when you say faith you mean faith in god. I think the point of the thread is faith in the knowledge we have now. However, your point is still a good one.

Pandemoniac
I ment faith as a believe in the only options given at times, and making one blind to new possiblities. Though religions remain the supreme example of how faith can blind one from facts...

Atlantis001

debbiejo
True...and many don't seem to keep up with the new science theories....clinging to the older one like and old comfortable shoe...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.