Stanley Kubrick

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Spike Eccles
Stanley Kubrick was a master. some label him as a weirdy beardy freak who liked corridors and long takes, but to most people he was the cinematic maestro who could take a genre and transform it into something unique - eg. 2001, Barry Lyndon, The Shining. When he died in 1999, the world lost a genius.

am i alone in thinking that Stan The Man was the best?

Let me know what you think....

finti
he made some of the most boring films ever, like 2001 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Kes
LOL I think he's overrated. Cant think of a movie of his I like.

Aku
Edward Norton is a good actor. But the best film he was in was this murder thing. It was like one of his first where he played all innocent, but actually had a split personality and he got really angry and started trying to hurt people. But thingy (lead actor from mothman prophecies) got all the credit when edward norton had to act 3 perosnalities.

And he did all three of them perfectly aswell.

Kes
Wrong thread mate wink The movie is called Primal Fear and its great thumb up Norton is great in it!

Aku
OMG THANKYOU ive been trying to find the name of that film for years. I LOVE YOU KES. In a professional way ofcourse. embarrasment

Kes
Lol. www.imdb.com is great to find the titles of movies. Thou I knew this one wink

Now back to Kubrick.

WindDancer
Kubrick used to be a photographer before becoming a movie director. When you look at his films the key is to look into the Cinematography of the film. Great close ups and excellent lighting in the scenes. Kubrick is great! yes

finti
excellent flick

or sleeping pills as we call it in Norway

WindDancer
lol! I HAVE to visit Norway someday. big grin

Kes
Thats great. So he was director and Director of photography in all his movies? Never noticed blink

Samas-adian
Yeah, aside from butchering the book The Shining.... i dont think Kubrick has done anything that I think is masterful. The only movie i like by him is The Shining...and the boot camp sequence in Full Metal Jacket. Tried to watch Eye's Wide Shut...but yeah that didnt go over so well.

BackFire
All of Kubricks films pushed the envelope in some way or another. His films weren't for everyone, but he pretty much pushed the film industry into modern times, with his use of camera panning and wierd little angles.

I think he is indeed the greatest director who ever lived.

Kes
That's good, but it doesnt make his movies good wink
In my eyes of course big grin

BackFire
No, but the fact that his movies were always unique, compelling, different, daring and made with more care and passion then any others ever certainly does.

Kes
blink Ok.

BackFire
Also, what movies of his have you seen?

Kes
Eyes Wide Shut - A too strong sub-plot + Tom Cruise = crap (IMO)
Shining, The - Jack Nichlson is amazing in it, but the movie is too boring and didnt live up to my expectations. Years of hearing how good it is...you know.
Clockwork Orange, A - This one I had seen and had completely forgotten about it!
2001: A Space Odyssey - Well I tried, I swear I tried!
Spartacus (1960) - Saw it a long time ago, but dont remember much.

WindDancer
I shouldn't compare movies, but personally when it comes to gladiators Spartacus is way better than Gladiator (2000). Clockwork Orange I like the most becuase it deals with the issues of futuristic gangs taking over cities. The film doesn't deliver that much insight, but the book certainly does.

BackFire
Kes, you havent' seen some of his best flicks... Here's a couple more you should see.

Dr. Strangelove

Full Metal Jacket

Paths of Glory

And you should see Clockwork Orange again since you don't remember it.

Dario Argento
Kubrick was God. All his films are unique. I can't, like BF, pick some of his flicks as my favorites. They are all masterpieces that deserve to be watched again and again and again.

finti
i find almost all of his stuff boring as hell

Kes
I wanted to see Dr. Strangelove but I missed it when they passed it in theaters (again of course LOL)

Has for Clockwork Orange I saw a bit in school some months ago, which reminded me I had seen it and it reminded me why I hadnt liked it in the 1st place. Too stupid (no offense).

Dario Argento
What is stupid about it?

BackFire
On the contrary Kes, Clockwork Orange is one of the most intelegent films ever made. Perhaps you were just too young to understand/appreciate it.

It is a very strange film though, so if that's not your cup of tea then I can understand why you didn't like it.

Kes
I just find it stupid with the fast forward and exaggerated scenes *shrugs*

finti
you forgott to mention boring

Deano
nah its not boring at all

kubrick is a genius and i love all of his films,

Deano
and i still have to see

paths of glory
dr strangelove
barry lyndon
eyes wide shut

big grin

Deano
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/549/stanleykubrick5mj.gif

in honour of the man

Deano
i just read that kubrick might of been killed deliberately!!
http://www.gettingit.com/article/136

Eyes Wide Shut is a curious title for this film, for what it suggests is that information is being processed, while simultaneously the conscious mind is deep asleep, totally unaware, subliminally filing this information into the subconscious where it can be used later by the "handlers" of these mind controlled victims. This is similar to what Conspiratologist Michael Anthony Hoffman II calls the "Revelation of the Method" and "The Making Manifest Of All That Is Hidden", which is the subtle processing of humankind using these insidious tools of trance-formation, whether done individually or on a wide-scale level through television, mass media, and the movies. It is for this reason--some have hinted--that Kubrick met his fate just prior to the completion of Eyes Wide Shut: for ostensibly spilling the beans of what goes on behind the scenes in regards to secret societies and intelligence agencies who use mind control to program the masses. In this context, Kubrick may have been playing a part in ushering in the New World Order of The Illuminati, but to his own misfortune revealed "too much, too soon", thus a possible reason for his sudden passing. In Hoffman's Secret Societies and Psychological Warfare, he states that "...the Revelation of the Method has as its chief component, a clown-like, grinning mockery of the victim(s) as a show of power and macabre arrogance. When this is performed in a veiled manner accompanied by certain occult sign and symbolical words and elicits no meaningful response of opposition or resistance from the target(s), it is one of the most efficacious techniques of psychological warfare and mind-rape..." The Illuminati is obsessed with numerical patterns and hidden secrets. It's probably no coincidence that Kubrick died 666 days before January 1, 2001 (the day he wished to live to see). This film in my opinion is an epic masterpiece. Truly haunting.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
If Wes Anderson is my delightfully delicious Brie, and Aronofsky is my French Bread , then Kubrick is the vin rouge that sits perfectly on the top of my oh-so-cultured snack-a-lacka-black.

What makes Kubrick's films so good? Hmm, well let's see...Bags of intellifence, original storylines and mesmerising direction. How's that answer your question?

Anyway, I know this is KMC, but are there any other Kubrick fans out there? If so, what are your favorites?

For me, you can't beat 'Dr.Strangelove', 'A Clockwork Orange', 'Full Metal Jacket' and 'Eyes Wide Shut'...4 very different movies, but all so, so, so brilliant. In fact, as I think about it, it is incredibly difficult to choose favorites when you consider the quality of his work.

Oh, look! There's a poll!

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Apologies to 'The Killing' and 'Paths Of Glory' for having to share a single slot on the poll...Honorable mention must also go to 'Fear And Desire' and 'Killer's Kiss'....

Grand Moff Gav
I am Spartacus

fini
What the f**k?

MildPossession
It has to be The Shining for me, absolutely stunning and the musical score is just amazing.

I watched The Killing again a few days ago and that scene with the money near the end always makes me cringe.

shaber
I wish I had seen his other movies.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Why did my Kubrick thread get merged!?!?! Mine had a poll! A poll, god-damn it! What does this have? Deano saying that Kubrick was killed by the illuminati!

shaber, why wish about seeing his other movies? Just go and watch them...

I think Eyes Wide Shut is one of his most beautiful, dreamy films. It's such a peculiar movie and that central scene in the mansion is hypnotic. I saw in it a movie theatre back when it came out and I was stunned on exit. The color, the 'flow', the intrigue, the mystery, the the the...It's an amazing film.

Myth
I voted A Clockwork Orange but Full Metal Jacket is a close second. I own all of the movies in the box set and I love them all.

BackFire
Paths of Glory is his finest work, IMO.

Besides that, my personal favorites are The Shining, FMJ and Dr. Strangelove, oh, and Clockwork Orange.

papabeard
Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket and The SHining

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Backfire, what do you think of 'Eyes Wide Shut'?

Nevermind
I think for most people Kubrick is a huge mental wank, just saying his films are excellent and how intelligent you have to be to understand them all that crap, make them seem like highly-acclaimed movie critics. On the contrary, Kubrick I must say did do some good work to what I have seen, but mostly overrated. Movies like 2001 (his best work, superb!) were unique at the time for sci-fi and films like Dr strangelove were just great, and yes there were some great shots and angles in all of his movies I've seen. As for Clockwork Orange the idea for the story was great but the overall product was just alright, but Full Metal Jacket was good. Kubrick had his moments like most directors do. Kubrick was quite good, but is overrated. Just my opinion.

DeVi| D0do
Full Metal Jacket rocks hard.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
The problem/genius of Kubrick is that his movies do not suffer fools. People can label his movies 'pretentious' or 'boring', but what they are really saying is that they didn't understand them.

Deano
no way is kubrick overrated

all the films i have saw are brilliant

Clockwork orange
The shining
2001 space oddssey
full metal jacket

i have yet to see paths of glory, barry lyndon, and dr strangelove

Myth
Originally posted by Nevermind
As for Clockwork Orange the idea for the story was great but the overall product was just alright, but Full Metal Jacket was good. Kubrick had his moments like most directors do. Kubrick was quite good, but is overrated. Just my opinion.

Well, of course you are entitled to my opinion. However, as a Psychology major, I love this film. First the observations of a sick man, but then even more so for the effects of the conditioning by watching the videos and having the song transfer to the same feeling of fear. That my friend is a very smart movie.

BackFire
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Backfire, what do you think of 'Eyes Wide Shut'?

It's his weakest film, by far. However, it's intriguing and I think will only get better with age.

BackFire
More people need to see Paths of Glory, IMO his best film.

Mandorallen
PRIVATE PYLE! YOU CLIMB MY OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE ****!

lol, best quote.

MildPossession
I still need to watch Eyes Wide Shut, but it scores points with me already for using the amazing Waltz No. 2 from Jazz Suite No. 2. Is this piece of music used well in the film, in an interesting scene? or just happens to be on the soundtrack to the film?

Should I blind buy it on dvd? Kubrick is a genius for mixing classical music with what is happening in a scene and would be so interesting to see how he mixed one of my all time favourite pieces into the scene.

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by Mandorallen
PRIVATE PYLE! YOU CLIMB MY OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE ****!

lol, best quote.
"Me so horny. Me love you long time." for the win. big grin

Nevermind
Originally posted by Myth
Well, of course you are entitled to my opinion. However, as a Psychology major, I love this film. First the observations of a sick man, but then even more so for the effects of the conditioning by watching the videos and having the song transfer to the same feeling of fear. That my friend is a very smart movie.

Like I said 'the idea was great'.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Myth
That my friend is a very smart movie.

Don't forget the source material - 'A Clockwork Orange' by Anthony Burgess.

Argh! I will have to totally disagree with you on this one; I think it's one of his best. It encapsulates so many of the themes he has explored throughout his oeuvre: corruption, alienation, malevolence, wealth and the illusion of 'reality', to name but a few...

I think you should watch it again...

Considering the tone of the film, it is used in quite an amusing and cheeky manner - if I remember correctly...

Of course! I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Here's a perfect movie:

The Beginning of 'Full Metal jacket'
The Middle of 'Eyes Wide Shut'
The End of 'The Shining'

Ethan Edwards
Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece is 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968).

My personal favorite Kubrick film has always been A Clockwork Orange (1971). I've never been so mesmerized by a film.

MetallicaT
Originally posted by Deano
It's probably no coincidence that Kubrick died 666 days before January 1, 2001 (the day he wished to live to see).
interesting.....

a clockwork orange is my favorite by far

Revernd Maynard
2001 Amazing shots in this movie, great music, just wonderfull over all
A Clockwork Orange Wow, amazing acting/shots/music....Kubrick gets an A+ on this one... I was a large fan of the book, then the movie..it hits most of the hot spots with the book perfectally, but leaves somethings out...yet it still is amazing
Eyes Wide Shut I loved the plot and the story in this movie, the only thing i had a problem with..is Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman...i never really liked their acting, but they tried in this movie....it wasn't one of kubricks best, yet still good..
Full Metel Jacket Best Viet Nam movie of all time (IMO) Nothing can top this....its better than Apocolypse Now and whatever other Viet nam movies came out.....great acting/shots/music/everything else that makes a good movie fricken rock
Shining Saw this one way before i knew who Stanley Kubrick was...i had read the book, i dont think it goes along too well with the movie, but trying to put Stephen King on the big screen is nearly impossible. Thats why this is a great movie, because its as good as you are going to get to try and decript everything that is going on in The Shining

I have yet to see Dr. Strangelove and Spartacus, but those are on my "must see" list

Bardock42
I find him really good. Some really great movies.

A Clockwork Orange is just an awesome Movie.
As is 2001 ...although i have to admith the Book was better. I think the stories he used wee just some of the most complicated and artistic and therefore strange ever.

BackFire
Yes, I should watch it again, I've only seen it the one time like 4 years ago, so another viewing is in order.

It was good, very good, don't get me wrong. But compared to the utter brilliance of some of his earlier films I just don't think it really stands up. The importance of films like 2001, Dr. Strangelove, Paths of Glory and such are so great that Eyes Wide Shut, while good, can't really compete.

I really wish he had lived long enough to make A.I. himself. According to him, he wanted to make it the ultimate movie experience, and wanted it to do for this generation what 2001 did for the previous generation. It would have been something to see.

Tptmanno1
Dr. Strangelove is one of my favorite Movies,
I have yet too see Any of his other's, But I always see something like Full Metal Jacket AFTER I got another movie...
I need to see that one...

Mando
Wow this thread is alive again.

I Love all of Kubricks Movies. The Shining and Full Metal Jacket being my favorites.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by BackFire
I really wish he had lived long enough to make A.I. himself. According to him, he wanted to make it the ultimate movie experience, and wanted it to do for this generation what 2001 did for the previous generation. It would have been something to see.

Yeah. I may be wrong, but I can't imagine Kubrick having a talking teddy bear as one of the main characters. I'm also pretty sure he wouldn't have left us with a saccharine 'happy-ever-after' ending.

DarkWizard
Stan Would have made it into greatness. Regardless.

BackFire
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yeah. I may be wrong, but I can't imagine Kubrick having a talking teddy bear as one of the main characters. I'm also pretty sure he wouldn't have left us with a saccharine 'happy-ever-after' ending.

Oh yeah. I remember seeing some pictures he drew of his ideas, and an example of the difference is the freeway. In the movie, as it is now, the scene shows a freeway going through the mouth of a woman. Stanley had it going between her legs.

Also, you can tell the original idea was to show the dark cruel side of humanity, as Kubrick movies are famous for, Spielberg at least did some of this, but he seemed to scared to make it truley eerie and negative and injected some out of place "happy" scenes.

I think Kubricks original idea was to have all humans as villian, and the only protagonists would be robots.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I admire Spielberg, but I find his direction and Kubrick's vision as strange bed-fellows. It's honorable that Spelberg did it as a tribute to his friend, but - as you mention - some scenes did not seem congruous to Kubrick.

BackFire
Yeah, I actually liked AI. And it was interesting to at least see some form of Kubricks idea, I jsut wish that Kubrick coulda been able to make it himself. It really woulda been something.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Shoulda, woulda, couldn't.

Revernd Maynard
Is Barry Lyndon any good?

whats it about...i almost rented it....but insted i rented Dr. Strangelove droolio

Impediment
Kubrick is an utter genius. I'm not gonna sit here here and say that I like every single one of his movies, although I own almost all of them, but irregardless I admire his blatant talent and masterful insight. My personal favorites are both "Dr. Strangeove or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the Bomb" and "A Clockwork Orange". "Paths of Glory", "2001: A Space Odyssey", and "The Shining" are exceptional films that are true classics, as well. Also, I hope nobody hates me for this, but I prefer Adrian Lyne's version of "Lolita" over Kubrick's.

Revernd Maynard
Originally posted by Impediment
Kubrick is an utter genius. I'm not gonna sit here here and say that I like every single one of his movies, although I own almost all of them, but irregardless I admire his blatant talent and masterful insight. My personal favorites are both "Dr. Strangeove or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the Bomb" and "A Clockwork Orange". "Paths of Glory", "2001: A Space Odyssey", and "The Shining" are exceptional films that are true classics, as well. Also, I hope nobody hates me for this, but I prefer Adrian Lyne's version of "Lolita" over Kubrick's. is lolita good? is Barry Lyndon good? have you seen either?

BackFire
They're both good.

Revernd Maynard
Originally posted by BackFire
They're both good. than i shall rent both

Deathblow
The first 45 minutes of Full Metal Jacket is in my opinion the single greatest depiction of war, in any shape or form. The cold, dehumanising process of turning young men into heartless, mindless killers...sends shivers down my spine every time. Kubrick also took a huge risk in the whole sequence by never actually properly introducing a real protagonist. Pyle is viewed from the outside, the audience is never actually left alone with Joker, and the drill sergeant is utterly repulsive in everyway. Amazing, groundbreaking, frightening...etc.

All that, and it's not even my favorite of Kubrick's work. A master of his craft.

BlackSunshine
I liked The Shining and Full Metal Jacket. I havent seen very many of his movies but I've heard alot of good things about them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.