Ken vs. Ryu

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Simus
This is not Maxed out Ryu.

Darkstorm Zero
Ryu in the later stages of the series, or as Evil Ryu.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/DarkstormZero/ryu-evil-cvs-stance.gif

Hoshi
evil ryu is weaker than the normal one if he has already rejected the dark hadou

Lord Simus
As he is in the later satges of the series.

Darkstorm Zero
yes

Shirizatu16
Originally posted by Darkstorm Zero
yes

I didn't know that!

wowwww!!!!!

I think this match is aaagghhh.

I can't decide.

I'll come back!

legacy92
ken wins

jinzin
ken would be annihilated...

darth-yoda
ryu wins

Onikirimaru
Ken won in the alpha series didnt he. His ending were he beat Ryu, gave him the headband, in later games, he was wearing that headband, so you can assume that ending was cannon right?

Darkstorm Zero
True, but that was set after the fight Ryu had with Akuma according to the Cannon timeline, thats why Ken knew Ryu was distracted

Hoshi
ken didnt want a unfair fight, that is why when he noticed that ryu wasnt focus on the fight he gave him his bandana for him to remember that he has friends and that he will never be as akuma

Deus Ex
Evil Ryu has a lot of problems. Inability to focus, susceptible to blows... Normal Ryu would have a much better chance of winning, but for all intents and purposes the two were even, despite having different advantages over one another (Ken's Dragon punch mastery, Ryu's fireball mastery, etc. Ken tends to go berserk more often and has longer reach, but Ryu is a cool fighter and probably has more practice.)

My vote goes to Ryu, but barely.

Tha C-Master
ryu, or tie, but not ken

Xplosive
Ryu wins.

Deus Ex
Actually, thinking about it, this can go either way.
Ken and Ryu are equal even as of SF II, which takes place well after ALpha series. And evil Ryu technically doesn't exist, since Ryu rejected the Satsui no Hado.

brainchild81
Originally posted by Deus Ex
Actually, thinking about it, this can go either way.
Ken and Ryu are equal even as of SF II, which takes place well after ALpha series. And evil Ryu technically doesn't exist, since Ryu rejected the Satsui no Hado. Ditto and even if he did, Ken's gutshot is the answer for thatsmile

Deus Ex
lol

Gouki
I think Ryu would win becuase he lives for the fight and has spent most of his time training, Ken on the other hand just trains to keep up with Ryu and probably wouldn't be as strong as Ryu up to 3rd Strike because of Eliza, Mel, and Sean.

Hoshi
it would be a stalemate or ryu would win .Ken is a damn tough oponent , but ryu can focus better in a fight.

Sonic x 20
Ryu is also training under Oro.

peejayd
* official statement from capcom states that in the 1st Street Fighter Tournament, Sagat actually kicked Ryu's premature butt. as Sagat was about to offer his hand to Ryu - who was battling inside himself (the killing intent urges), sees desperation to win a fight, split-second succumbs to the dark urge, performs a cheap shot Metsu Shoryuken on the unsuspecting Sagat... Ryu wins the tourney cheaply. ironically, Ryu was always profiled with the word "honor", and there was no honor on what he did on Sagat...

* Ryu, on the other hand, rejected the dark urge however. because he now learns that it is not necessary to kill just to win a battle.

* Ken has this powerful potential enough to beat Ryu... Ryu is just the main character...

Gouki
Ryu will just crush Ken. Come on!

SaTsuJiN
Ryu has more endurance.. is more focused, calm and precise than ken... he trained in the mountains his entire life... ken is a little too preppy to deal with that kind of rough housing

Deus Ex
Like I said, by SF II (A full what? Thirteen years after the original game or so) Ken and RYu are about even. You add this up with the fact that Ken doesn't practice quite nearly as much as Ryu and actually maintains a healthy normal life and you have someone who has incredible power at less demand.

Avalonofthewind
Ryu eats, breathes, and lives the fight...
Ken chills, blazes his wife, and trains less often...

Yet, Ken is faster, more agile, and learns more moves that Ryu.

Something doesnt quite make sense there...

Deus Ex
I don't recall him having more moves. Just variations of the ones Ryu has. Then again, I didn't play much of the third game because it bored me.

SaTsuJiN
In Street Fighter III : 3rd strike, Ryu is more powerful... while ken is all about speed... I think in like 5 consecutive hits or somwheres around there ryu can knock you dizzy.. ken it takes double..
to compare their damage types I'd say it would be like :

Ken : 20 hit super combo 30 damage

Ryu : 3 hit shin-shoryuken 45 damage

also, for their hurricane kicks.. ken will bust out a 5 peice combo that wont knock his enemy down.. where ryu knocks them down on the first spin.. so I'd say thats quite powerful

ryu is explosive in his subtlety, while ken is always making up for his lack of technique by speed

P-Geyser
Someone on this site said it best Ken=Flashy and Ryu=Efficent.

brainchild81
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
Ryu has more endurance.. is more focused, calm and precise than ken... he trained in the mountains his entire life... ken is a little too preppy to deal with that kind of rough housing Not really. Ken trained w/him. He's been there and done that. Don't let his preppiness fool you.Originally posted by Avalonofthewind

Something doesnt quite make sense there... Ken's always been considered a "natural"

SaTsuJiN
training is far different than continuing with it long after your master's death.. which I think ryu carries out much more effeciently.. having no other life obligations than to train.. and hopefully take a bath every so often

Deus Ex
lol

Yeah, a bath helps.

Well, Ryu is probably better in the long run, but Ken is a natural.

peejayd
Originally posted by Avalonofthewind

Something doesnt quite make sense there...

* it surely does, dude. that explains why Ken got more potential than Ryu. Ken has always equalled Ryu inspite of Ryu's lifelong training. Ken has equalled Ryu inspite of Ken having a family.

* re: killing intent. Ken will never have a dark urge like Ryu. Ken is also quite attached to the "real" world to succumb to the dark urge.

* give Ken that lifelong training that Ryu endured, and Ken will beat the crap out of Ryu without breaking a sweat...

Darkstorm Zero
Actually... I don't recall Ken Equalling Ryu... The only time Ken ever defeated Ryu was in Alpha 2, and that was when Ryu was distracted.

I could cite the fact that Ryu defeated Akuma, while Ken received one backhand from Akuma and was knocked out... And no, Ken was fully attacking Akuma during this One hit KO wonder.

Deus Ex
I recall in the Street Fighter II manual that they were described as virtually identical in fighting ability. Of course, Ryu went on to become everyone's favorite character after SSFIIT, so anyways...

Ryu's always portrayed as being a slightly better fighter when it comes to fighting Akuma or something, but when ever he fights Ken, its a stalemate or (in that one situation) Ken beat him. It's never a decisive victory, one over the other. This could too mean that they know each other quite well, but Ken did not understand Akuma well because he did not have the Killing Intent. Just a thought.

Also... what's with everyone in SFAII being pwned because they were distracted? Sheesh.

dvampire
Maybe this scan could help how there there fighting stlyes are different from each other.

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/8767/10242005091930pm0nz.jpg

peejayd
Originally posted by dvampire
Maybe this scan could help how there there fighting stlyes are different from each other.

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/8767/10242005091930pm0nz.jpg

* cool pic...

* yes, i agree... look at this twisted logic...

Akuma > Ken
Ryu > Akuma

so = Ryu > Ken... weird!!!

* IMO, it's much like this...

Akuma >>> Ryu
Akuma >>> Ken
Akuma > Evil Ryu
Ken >/= Ryu

* Ryu beating Akuma doesn't mean Ryu beating Ken as well... Ken knows Ryu like the back of his hand... Ken never loses to anyone, and that's a fact...

* Akuma probably had a 1-hit KO on Ken, because a man who mastered the killent intent was too much for him... Ryu held his own on Akuma only because he too, was being seduced to the dark urge...

* set aside Akuma, Ken versus Ryu is equal...

Darkstorm Zero
Originally posted by peejayd

* Ryu beating Akuma doesn't mean Ryu beating Ken as well... Ken knows Ryu like the back of his hand... Ken never loses to anyone, and that's a fact...

Sorry Jay, but Ken has lost before, Akuma beat him.

And as I said, every even match they have had has been a draw, the only time Ryu lost to Ken is when he didn't have his mind on the fight.

So I sgree with you, they are even.

SaTsuJiN
lol ken never loses to anyone rofl

ken fans are starting to get as rabid as wolverine ones

play sf3 : 3rd strike.. see the difference (its most recent).. I dont care about old crap like alpha saying they're equal... 3rd strike is most recent.. and in turn more relevant

unrealman

peejayd
lol ken never loses to anyone rofl

ken fans are starting to get as rabid as wolverine ones

play sf3 : 3rd strike.. see the difference (its most recent).. I dont care about old crap like alpha saying they're equal... 3rd strike is most recent.. and in turn more relevant

* err... im not a fanboy, if that's what you're trying to imply...

* i just said "Ken never loses to anyone"... my bad, it's wrong... embarrasment

* 3rd strike plot guide also states that Ken won the U.S. martial arts championship for the 3rd time... Ryu is such a proud jerk, just because he is training with Oro now, doesn't mean he can degrade Ken... well, Ken has a family to return to, while Ryu - in the future - will eventually die in the hands of a more powerful opponent... i pity you, Ryu... enjoy your victories as much as you can... stick out tongue

Sonic x 20
I'm not so sure Ryu will fall to a More Powerful Opponent, especially when he Finally Becomes Maxed Out Ryu.

brainchild81

* 3rd strike plot guide also states that Ken won the U.S. martial arts championship for the 3rd time... You have any plot guide links? I'd really like to beef up my knowledge on who's beat up who in the actual storylines.

peejayd
Originally posted by Sonic x 20
I'm not so sure Ryu will fall to a More Powerful Opponent, especially when he Finally Becomes Maxed Out Ryu.

* negative, dude... in the future, someone more powerful will eventually defeat "the great" Ryu...

* for example... Oro can defeat Ryu, but rather he chooses Ryu to be his student...

peejayd
Originally posted by brainchild81
You have any plot guide links? I'd really like to beef up my knowledge on who's beat up who in the actual storylines.

http://kattuggla.oru.se/dmd01/dm0103/test/faqs/SFplotguide40.txt

SaTsuJiN
* err... im not a fanboy, if that's what you're trying to imply...

* i just said "Ken never loses to anyone"... my bad, it's wrong... embarrasment

* 3rd strike plot guide also states that Ken won the U.S. martial arts championship for the 3rd time... Ryu is such a proud jerk, just because he is training with Oro now, doesn't mean he can degrade Ken... well, Ken has a family to return to, while Ryu - in the future - will eventually die in the hands of a more powerful opponent... i pity you, Ryu... enjoy your victories as much as you can... stick out tongue

* heh, you've stuck to ken in 2 threads... but I called you a 'fan' because 'fanboy/girl' is much to derogatory for my tastes

* Indeed...

* So... ken beating a few punks in the U.S. is supposed to equate him to ryu?.... me thinks not..

* Ryu is 'not' a proud jerk.. if anything that suits kens attitude about his own skill level just perfectly. Ryu's attitude is more about learning from a fight than to hope for constant win streaks

peejayd
* heh, you've stuck to ken in 2 threads... but I called you a 'fan' because 'fanboy/girl' is much to derogatory for my tastes

* Indeed...

* So... ken beating a few punks in the U.S. is supposed to equate him to ryu?.... me thinks not..

* Ryu is 'not' a proud jerk.. if anything that suits kens attitude about his own skill level just perfectly. Ryu's attitude is more about learning from a fight than to hope for constant win streaks

* yeah... i posted on two Ken threads, because i'm not familiar with the other game characters in the forum and cannot express my own opinion in cases i don't know...

* not against Ryu but, how about a 'desperate' jerk? why? because the way the killent intent urges him is to feel really desperate to win a battle... talk about 'by hook or by crook', Ryu wants to win it all... again, IMO Ryu will lose to a more powerful fighter in the future, 'coz that's what his road of destiny has become, provided his stubborn nature of traveling around the globe, fight worthy opponents, and be the greatest... confused

carrotgl4z3
Ryu vs Ken. Ryu always win. it depends in an aracade game if i use ken i could defeat ryu. if used ryu i could defeat ken... hehehehe. i think Ryu will win for sure... if you does'nt agree lets settle this on arcade... it will prove something hehehehe....

SaTsuJiN
* not against Ryu but, how about a 'desperate' jerk? why? because the way the killent intent urges him is to feel really desperate to win a battle... talk about 'by hook or by crook', Ryu wants to win it all... again, IMO Ryu will lose to a more powerful fighter in the future, 'coz that's what his road of destiny has become, provided his stubborn nature of traveling around the globe, fight worthy opponents, and be the greatest... confused

Ryu was the only one of the two during the SF motion picture, that remembered his master saying "you must go beyond victory"... while ken sortof lusted for the next win, which is why he became an easy target for M.bison in the film.

I would imagine that happens to all fighters.. there's always someone stronger.. but you have to meet the person in order to be defeated.. that hasnt happened to ryu yet

shin_remy
they were equal till the end of alpha!!! ken stopt cause he had a family to take care while ryu has the time of the world to train!!

in street fighter 3 was ryu better then ken

ryu is also not the strongest, that is his path becomeing the strongets and take reveange on th murderer who killed his master

shin_remy
In Street Fighter III : 3rd strike, Ryu is more powerful... while ken is all about speed... I think in like 5 consecutive hits or somwheres around there ryu can knock you dizzy.. ken it takes double..
to compare their damage types I'd say it would be like :

Ken : 20 hit super combo 30 damage

Ryu : 3 hit shin-shoryuken 45 damage

also, for their hurricane kicks.. ken will bust out a 5 peice combo that wont knock his enemy down.. where ryu knocks them down on the first spin.. so I'd say thats quite powerful

ryu is explosive in his subtlety, while ken is always making up for his lack of technique by speed

HAHAHAHAHAHA YEAH RIGHT
RYU AND KENS SPIN KICK ARE EVEN STRONG ONLY RYU HIT ONCE AND KEN HIT MORE!!! DAMAGE IS THE SAME!! diffence in the kick was already in alpha!! AND YET IS THE KICK OF KEN BETTER THEN THE KICK OF RYU :P

shin shoryu ken is 4 hit 45 damage
Shinryuken is 15 hit 40 damage

According Capcom is shinryuken stronger then shin shoryuken

Gouki
If you do a Personal Action before the Shinryuken is performed, the damage will come out larger.

buckfutter
ive won more games with ken then ryu so i think ken is cooler.

peejayd
Originally posted by shin_remy
HAHAHAHAHAHA YEAH RIGHT
RYU AND KENS SPIN KICK ARE EVEN STRONG ONLY RYU HIT ONCE AND KEN HIT MORE!!! DAMAGE IS THE SAME!! diffence in the kick was already in alpha!! AND YET IS THE KICK OF KEN BETTER THEN THE KICK OF RYU :P

shin shoryu ken is 4 hit 45 damage
Shinryuken is 15 hit 40 damage

According Capcom is shinryuken stronger then shin shoryuken

* agreed! the SHINRYUKEN of Ken is not called "The Mother of all Dragon Punches" for nothing... wink

* well, on the other side, Capcom once stated Ryu had mastered the art of Hadouken while Ken mastered the art of Shoryuken... it seems to be very impartial for Ryu to have a "super" dragon punch and a "super" hurricane kick...

* also, Ken (as i have read) got better reflexes with regards on "kicks", so Ken's Shippu Jinrai Kyaku is understandable, but Ryu's Shinkuu Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku, i'm a bit puzzled... Ryu's Denjin Hadouken is okay for his mastery of Hadouken... sad

* IMO, in a fight, normal and standard, one on one match-up, draw! equal! the differences: Ryu is slightly stronger and Ken is slightly quicker, both have efficient moves but Ken's is always more flashy, in performing a same move, same damage, but Ken get more hits due to his speed, and Ryu's opponent got knocked down in the first hit due to his strength... confused

Darkstorm Zero
It's a matter of oppinion I guess, Ryu's forcused more on longer battles and has better defences than Ken, Ken is geared for quick decisive battles (Very similar to Akuma's fighting patterns actually), Many people have an easier time using Ken for this reason.

Ryu is built to last against stronger opponents, where as Ken quickly trumps lesser fighters, hence why his fighting style is similar to Akuma's, since Akuma is theoretrically more powerful than just about every one else in SF, the only difference really is that Ken is not as powerful as Akuma, and thus has moderately more defensive power.

Ryu The World W
ken has beaten ryu before, but ryu wasnt mentally prepared in their rematch in third strike he defeated ken, if they were to fight today, ken would need to keep ryu at bay with kicks and use his length to keep him away and beat him to the punch and make him work hard and use his speed so ryu will b overwelmed and frustrated, ryu would have to counterpunch and anticipate kens punches much more, ryu is more conditioned then ken, i think in the later rounds of the fight ryu would have more gas then ken, ken has to end the fight quickly to stand a chance, in kens previous fights in which he was victorious like t.hawk, or sakura,or karin, or dan, these fights that he looked most impressive in was due to the fact that he ended them as soon as possible , in my opinion if the fight lasts a long time ryu will b the pressure fighter and win, ken has to use his kicking to his advantage to beat ryu, ryu needs to use his heavy hands and conditioning to his advantage, ryu would win by default , he had a rematch with akuma and scored a draw,ken got knocked out from akuma,ryu has KOd fei long , ken scored a draw against him, ken lost to m bison and ryu has beated bison on several occasions, if u notice the trend ryu has beaten men or has done better against them then ken has , therefore more likely then not ryu would win

AsbestosFlaygon
Ryu has the advantage since he's been training a lot more than Ken.

Ken is a family man, and trains less than Ryu.

Despite this fact, they are virtually equals.

As I see it, Ryu is stronger, but Ken is faster.

Zack Fair
Nevermind. Just quoted a 7 years old post. ROFL

Hulkbuster1
lol ken won and was the only survivor in the year 2010 using bionics to fight cypoplasm so where ryu laughing out loud

mastagambit
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon

^^

b64
During SF2 they are on about equal level, but Ryu is surely superior during Street Fighter 3, they fought several times and Ken won only once. You can find Ryu's quote in SF3 (or maybe SF4, I can't recall) when he tells Ken that he still has a better ratio in their fights.
During SF3 Ryu is trained by Oro but still not ready to fight the likes of Oro or Akuma. During SF3 Ryu is clearly superior to Ken, who is a family man.

the ninjak
Ken no probs.

juggerman
Ryu turns evil and eats Ken

the ninjak
Ken turns evil and uppercuts Ryu!

juggerman
Ryu turns evil before Ken has a chance to and Ryu gives Ken the loving embrace of the Raging Demon

the ninjak
Ken in the end is too pure to be weak enough to fall into the Dark Hadou.

And through the love of his wife and family shatters Dark Ryu and as in typical SF fashion releases him from his dark influences and wins the fight.

juggerman
Dammit. That's a good angle.

the ninjak
Originally posted by juggerman
Dammit. That's a good angle.

Hey that's just the way Ken rolls.

cdtm
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon

They're equals, because Ken's a natural, while Ryu's a disciplined workhorse.

If Ken trained as seriously as Ryu, he'd probably be untouchable.

mastagambit
Ryu wins but barely.

No End N Site
Ryu, ya'know, since they fought already...and he won...

b64
The last fight between Ryu and Ken happened in 3rd Strike. From their dialog you can realize that Ryu lost to Ken once, but beat him at least twice.

Quoting some of their pre-fight dialog:

Ken: Okay then, I'll make this quick and easy for you. Prepare for defeat!
Ryu: You may think so, but I've still got the better win record. Stand Strong!

It was a friendly fight and Ryu managed to win it, which means he beat Ken at least 3 times and lost only once.

Darkstorm Zero
Actually... I don't recall Ken Equalling Ryu... The only time Ken ever defeated Ryu was in Alpha 2, and that was when Ryu was distracted.
I could cite the fact that Ryu defeated Akuma, while Ken received one backhand from Akuma and was knocked out... And no, Ken was fully attacking Akuma during this One hit KO wonder.

Actually I have one correction to add. Ryu did not defeat Akuma in their SFA fight. They fought, but Ryu didn't beat Akuma. It was Akuma who wasn't satisfied with Ryu's performance and was angry as Ryu didn't let the dark site overtake him, which resulted Akuma punching and destroying the island. There was no winner in that fight.
I've seen the rumor of Ryu beating Akuma in that fight in several forums, but that really didn't happen.

peejayd
Originally posted by cdtm
They're equals, because Ken's a natural, while Ryu's a disciplined workhorse.

If Ken trained as seriously as Ryu, he'd probably be untouchable.

^ this...

* but of course, they won't make Ken better than Ryu story-wise...

biowouta
Thank you

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.