Street Fighter did not START the fighting trend

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Joker1237
I always read how posters and others people on sites, go on and on how Street fighter started the fighting gene, and how Mortal Kombat and Tekken and other fighting games should own there thinks to SF.

I dont think MK or Tekken own ANYTHING 2 Street fighter, There was fighting GAMES BEFORE Street Fighter, and fighting games AFTER Street fighter.

One of the greatness fighting games before Street Fighter, was Karate Champ, back in the early 80's, around 84.

Now it did not have any fire balls or super moves like SF or MK, It had 2 guys mostly in jump suits, one in red, and the other white, walk up to each other(Slowy I may add lol) and the guy to land the first kick wins the fight. If street fighter is the so called fighter of fighting games, Than Karate Champ is like the Grand daddy of fighting games.

If any thing Street Fighter just improve the graphics of fighting games.

Victor Von Doom
I remember a few karate games on the Spectrum.

Would start getting nostalgic about them but frankly, they were shit, let's all be honest here.

Joker1237
they were good for the day, rember grapichs are not as good as today.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Joker1237
they were good for the day, rember grapichs are not as good as today.

Haha. I know. I remember thinking they were poor even at the time though.

I'm trying to remember the name of the one I can remember, it did actually have a few moves and stuff.

Joker1237
tis is 1983 lol, I dont expect much from a fighting game from that period. I have just play it, won a few matchs lol, and there is a red guy and white guy.

Makes me wonder if this is base of Ryu and Ken lol.

Tha C-Master
sf wasn't the first, but made it popular, so in a sense it started it, kinda like mario.

Wolf Dog
It did start the competitive fighting game trend because it required skill and had balanced characters. Not much luck involved in it unlike the ones before it.

Alpha Centauri
Street Fighter II on the SNES was the beginning of the beat 'em up revolution. I remember when that game came out.

-AC

Spelljammer
Street Fighter didn't start it, Street Fighter made it a household name..

Just there were platformers before Mario, but Mario made platformers noticable.

It's not about the first person who does the job, but who does it the best..

Onikirimaru
Street Fighter did start it. Didnt see people crowdin around a Karate Champ cabinet. All I saw on Karate champ was people wiggling the joystick and asking "How do I jump kick again?"

SaTsuJiN
lol.. well I think he meant to say that street fighter wasnt the beginning of fighting games... but I do enjoy street fighter.. however it would seem most capcom fighting gamers feel as though anything non-capcom is pure crap compared to any of their games..

as for current events I think fighting games are swiftly heading down the toilet.. unless someone acts fast to breathe new life into them...

Personally I'd prefer like a 3 v 3 online match in real time, 3d "Over the shoulder" perspective.. something of that sort

Tha C-Master
everyone is saying the same thing, it never starts a genre, it usually takes years until a revolution comes out lol.

Sadako of Girth
'IK+' and melbourne house's "Way of the exploding fist" were fecking cool on the c64 and the Amiga...

Arcade wise the first beat em ups that really demanded that my lunch money was really just gaming tokens were games like 'Double Dragon' and 'Dragonninja' before that you had your 'Karate champs' and 'Renegades', but 'DD' and 'DN' were great and were the pinnacle of arcade beaters for a few years until SF2....
The original street fighter game though was out at the time of Double Dragon and stuff, but SF2 was way prettier and the control system more involved and there was more depth in the play too....

Victor Von Doom
I remember the original Streetfighter. You used to have to hit a pad to punch. Literally hit it.

Tha C-Master
I played the first one, the boss was victor sagat, and fireballs did incredible damage.

SaTsuJiN
I think I had tried the first sf a while back.. I still couldnt do a damn special move on that stupid stick... I did manage 1 hurricane kick though

playmean
i totally forgot about karate champ. the two joy sticks and what not. i used to play it all the time when i went to the grocery store with my mom. dontgetit

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I think I had tried the first sf a while back.. I still couldnt do a damn special move on that stupid stick... I did manage 1 hurricane kick though I played that thing 12 years ago with my bro, whoever won went on.

The rest is nostalgia. (can't really remember beating the second guy)

BackFire
Street fighter pushed fighting games into the mainstream by adding a huge amount of innovation (special moves, selectable characters, bosses, ect).

Just like Doom rightfully gets the praise of being the quintessential FPS game despite teh fact that it sin't the first.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by BackFire
Street fighter pushed fighting games into the mainstream by adding a huge amount of innovation (special moves, selectable characters, bosses, ect).

Just like Doom rightfully gets the praise of being the quintessential FPS game despite teh fact that it sin't the first. ah, but Duke was the game that brought humor, and familiar locations in the mix, la for example.

(don't mind me, I just like to annoy doom fans)

BackFire
It doesn't matter, no ones talking about bringing in particular attributes into a genre, we're talking about the games that truley brought them into the mainstream, which Doom, and Street Figher, undeniably are responsible for.

I love Duke though, kickass game.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by BackFire
It doesn't matter, no ones talking about bringing in particular attributes into a genre, we're talking about the games that truley brought them into the mainstream, which Doom, and Street Figher, undeniably are responsible for.

I love Duke though, kickass game. smokin'

StaT1c
I always read how posters and others people on sites, go on and on how Street fighter started the fighting gene, and how Mortal Kombat and Tekken and other fighting games should own there thinks to SF.

I dont think MK or Tekken own ANYTHING 2 Street fighter, There was fighting GAMES BEFORE Street Fighter, and fighting games AFTER Street fighter.

One of the greatness fighting games before Street Fighter, was Karate Champ, back in the early 80's, around 84.

Now it did not have any fire balls or super moves like SF or MK, It had 2 guys mostly in jump suits, one in red, and the other white, walk up to each other(Slowy I may add lol) and the guy to land the first kick wins the fight. If street fighter is the so called fighter of fighting games, Than Karate Champ is like the Grand daddy of fighting games.

If any thing Street Fighter just improve the graphics of fighting games. It didn't invent the genre. It was just the most influential game to that genre.

Tha C-Master
Yep

Onikirimaru
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I remember the original Streetfighter. You used to have to hit a pad to punch. Literally hit it.

There were actually two variations, 1 that you speak of, the pressure sensitive one where you had to hit the pad according to how strong you want it, and the more "traditional" one we play today with the six buttons.

Tha C-Master
I love the traditional controllers.

Inspectah Deck

If any thing Street Fighter just improve the graphics of fighting games.

Actually, it did

Sonic x 20
I remembered those good old times when I played the first Street Fighter 2. It was also fun when you defeat your friends, then they get mad and they defeat you and you get mad, but it was still fun. big grin big grin cool cool

Tha C-Master
And when shin akuma was hella cheap.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.