Final Fantasy 12

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TwisterGameX
The graphics are to drool for, and we all know FF has good gameplay and one of the best stories.

ok, who is in FF12, when is it coming out, and is it for ps2 or ps3 ?

Tha C-Master
twister, we meet again!!!!

haha, just kidding. stick out tongue

I believe it was on ps3 or was it comp.

Pezmerga
FF 12 is Ps2...Last FF on ps2.

Red Superfly
Looks brilliant. Can't wait.

Shadow Of The Colossus and FF12 are the last PS2 games I'm interested in.

BackFire
I'm looking forward to it, but from what I've seen it looks like it may be pretty poor, they've been having significant trouble with it (hence all of the delays) and I don't really like the character design (Vaan looks like a douchebag). But, hopefully I'm wrong, I'm just not getting my hopes up over this one.

Draco69
I'll be thirty nine by the time the bloody game comes out.

And the real reason the game was delayed was because of manangement issues. Rather some them had a literal mental breakdown.

BackFire
I know, that's not very reassuring.

ShapedByWords
It comes out in March for the PS2 in Japan. Summer/fall in the US.

Draco69
They said that LAST summer. sad

powerfulone1987
Well hopefully they will get it out on time this time.

I wonder if it will be out after or before the release of the PS3?

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
twister, we meet again!!!!

haha, just kidding. stick out tongue

I believe it was on ps3 or was it comp.

There's something wrong with this post.

You say "you believe it WAS on". It wasn't on anything because it hasn't come out yet.

Tiptoegecko
Final Fantasy 12 is going to kick a55. I heard summer 06 for PS2. Hopefuly this title is good, b/c most SquareEnix games havent been good....so lets pray this one is......

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by Tiptoegecko
Final Fantasy 12 is going to kick a55. I heard summer 06 for PS2. Hopefuly this title is good, b/c most SquareEnix games havent been good....so lets pray this one is......

Um, there is something wrong with this post.

How can you say most SquareEnix games haven't been good.
Just look at it's Final Fantasy Series. SquareEnix is like the Leader in Role Playing Games.
You can't say that most of there games haven't been good with all of teh Final Fantasy games that they have had that's been very successful.

ShapedByWords
I have just heard that the US release date is April 1, 2006.

SaTsuJiN
rofl. a mental breakdown.. who had the break down.. the coders or the artists?

SaTsuJiN
http://the-magicbox.com/0509/game050923c.shtml

they're explaining a new character thats even girlier than vaan laughing out loud

TwisterGameX
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
http://the-magicbox.com/0509/game050923c.shtml

they're explaining a new character thats even girlier than vaan laughing out loud

Thats a guy laughing Whats with Japan..

TwisterGameX
All FF games, for the ps2 are good, but i don't know about the one for gamecube Christal chronicles.

JKozzy
That's what I've been feeling, BF. It looks cool, but the characters seem a bit... off. I do want Square Enix to feel free and prove anyone with that opinion wrong, though. The delays have been definate turnoffs, and personally, with the lack of progress, I want to see some FFXIII on PS3. Though they haven'tt publically said they've been doing it, it's either that or a FFVII remake, but a "Final Fantasy" title is definately in the works for PS3.

FFXI might do better on Xbox live, since it won't be PPM... though I still think they should've dropped the XI and called it FF Online.. wastes a number, for when nobody plays the game anymore, there'll be a gap.

And FF:CC for GCN, it felt too repeditive, I bought it when it came out and sadly regret doing so. There wasn't really any plot, and when I say that, I mean no plot. Go kill stuff, defeat the same bosses over and over, until you get to the point where there is a plot, and what's there could've been better. Though I do have to say: the water in that game was fantastic. That was the best water I've seen in any videogame.

General Kaliero
I REALLY want this game. But with all the delays, and the same trailer every year, I'm beginning to feel like it's more "look what you COULD be playing on the PS2" instead of an actual game...

Lana
Kinda reminiscent of the "we don't know what day it's going to come out" thing that happened with FFX-2...the US release date changed like what, 5 different times?

But yeah. I wish they'd stop with all the delays and just release the damn game already. I'm getting really impatient sad

sith_darth_jay
this is just as frustating as waiting for KHII

...and (i know some of you would just give a damn about this) I finally got a copy of FFVII. I'been through hell and back trying to get one ( I don't live in US) and so far has been worth the effort.

I just can't explain why this game has a much adult humor than any other FF ... and the traslation sucks at times

Tru_Slice
Gran Turismo 4 delayed longer than two years, and it turned out to be awesome.

Trust me. FFXII cannot suck at this point.

powerfulone1987
I am sure yall wouldn't want them to just ship the game out and then it end up crappy. Then you'll still be complaining. So the best thing that can happen is they keep working on the game so that it can be the best that it can be by the time that it comes out.

Lets not have it be like the Xbox360. They say it's next generation but does it really look like it? Not really. Of course yall are all happy it's coming out and can't wait, but look what you're getting. In turn for a early release, you are losing the next generation part. You're getting an early release and sacrificing how good it could be. Yall say you want gameplay over graphics. And I can definitely say you're getting it. The new games are coming out but with the same graphics.
The PS3 on the other hand comes out much later and in result will truly be a next generation console with better graphics.

Anyway. I know I would rather have a longer release date and end up with a fantastic game than have it come out tomorrow, half done.

TwisterGameX
I think they seee that it is getting so hyped they must delay it to make it better.

Lana
But the flipside of the delays is people getting all hyped up about it -- "it's taking a long time so it's gotta be GREAT because they're working on it!" -- and then it turning up to be a disappointment. Kinda like FFX-2 was. Don't get me wrong, I loved that game, but it simply couldn't measure up to FFX, and the whole changing release date didn't help matters.

Though this one's not a sequel so it won't have that sense of needing to measure up, though there are FF fans who for some reason like to compare the games to each other even though they are all completely seperate....

TwisterGameX
They are hyping it up like fable was hyped and after all this time it came out and it was average and short.

JKozzy
FF games are anything but short...

TwisterGameX
I know they are very long and you will get lost..also the bosses are so CRAZY.

Lana
Not if you level up enough....I got my character's so strong in FFX that I was killing the last bosses in 2-3 hits. When you can defeat Ultima and Omega Weapons in only a couple hits each....yeah, you've gone nuts in levelling up laughing out loud

But yeah, they're definitely long games. I think I spent about 48 hours playing FFVIII, somewhere around 60 when I finally went ahead and finished FFX (I spent a lot of time playing blitzball and levelling up stick out tongue)...I'm not sure what my time with FFX-2 was, but I didn't speed through it or anything.

TwisterGameX
I love games that are long but not to hard. It's worth your money if it's long and fun. Theres this ultimate spiderman game that I beat in two days...MY MONEY!!! was wasted on that crap. I never get games anymore without checking the reviews. Lana did you try the ff for the gba(the ramake of like 1 and 2..maybe 3 in there but they came out again for gba or that one that every one loves...Final fantasy Tactics.

Lana
I've played Tactics Advanced, yeah, my sister has it. I never beat it or anything though.

TwisterGameX
Originally posted by Lana
I've played Tactics Advanced, yeah, my sister has it. I never beat it or anything though.

I suck in that games and I dn how people beat it. Well Final fantasy 12 should be on the next gen consoles since it's taking so long.

ps(Fire emblem for gba is the best droolio)

powerfulone1987
Well, Final Fantasy 12 will be on the Playstation 2.

TwisterGameX
FF12 might come out in 2050 if we are lucky...the only other game that keep getting pushed back is Kindon Hearts 2.

powerfulone1987
But the flipside of the delays is people getting all hyped up about it -- "it's taking a long time so it's gotta be GREAT because they're working on it!" -- and then it turning up to be a disappointment. Kinda like FFX-2 was. Don't get me wrong, I loved that game, but it simply couldn't measure up to FFX, and the whole changing release date didn't help matters.

Though this one's not a sequel so it won't have that sense of needing to measure up, though there are FF fans who for some reason like to compare the games to each other even though they are all completely seperate....

I don't believe that Final Fantasy X-2 was a disappointment. I like it a lot.
And still can't beat the big machine/ghost boss at the end.

Ushgarak
Not if you level up enough....I got my character's so strong in FFX that I was killing the last bosses in 2-3 hits. When you can defeat Ultima and Omega Weapons in only a couple hits each....yeah, you've gone nuts in levelling up laughing out loud

Wasn't that always one of the issues in FF?

That if you reduced it to its constituents, all you had to do was find the most XP efficient place, up yourself to max level, go get the three most powerful weapons in the game, and then do the minimum plot possible to kill the boss?

The whole random encounters thing really started to drag.

powerfulone1987
Would you mind elaborating on that, because you're kind of all over the place with that post and I don't completely understand where you are coming from.

Is it comprehensible.....

TwisterGameX
The bosses are crazy if you never leveled up. MURDER

Lana
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Wasn't that always one of the issues in FF?

That if you reduced it to its constituents, all you had to do was find the most XP efficient place, up yourself to max level, go get the three most powerful weapons in the game, and then do the minimum plot possible to kill the boss?

The whole random encounters thing really started to drag.

Yep.

There are ways to avoid random encounters (certain items) that are good if you just want to speed through an area, though.

I love the FF games though (as, well, everyone knows) so I play through and try and get EVERYTHING....finish all the plot points, do all the mini-games, get all the weapons and stuff....and then when that's done, level up insanely high and wipe out the final bosses. First time I played through FFX I finished the story part of the game itself in about 40 hours, but didn't go and actually defeat the last bosses and beat the game until I was at about 60 hours of gameplay because I was going back to do and get everything I missed and to level up more.

That's one thing I liked about FFX-2, actually....it kept track of how much of the plot you completed, and once you finished you could start a new game, but with everything from your last save game, so then you could go through and finish up everything you may have missed before.

Originally posted by TwisterGameX
The bosses are crazy if you never leveled up. MURDER

Need to play more yes only boss I ever had any trouble with in FFX was Seymour, when you fight him in Bevelle (second time you fight him, and I have no idea why that gave me any trouble), and Yunalesca. Yunalesca gave me trouble, though, for the simple fact that I had un-zombied all my characters just as she went into her third form and cast Death on everyone. Oops. Only game over I ever got in that game.

TwisterGameX
Thats crazy...only 1 game over ever ? I always run out of health and little poison thingys.

Lana
Only time I ever used items to heal in that game is when Yuna wasn't with my party or if they were things that she couldn't heal with her magic.

Plus as I said, I spent a LOT of time playing so I had collected TONS of items....so much in fact, that instead of actually attacking undead monsters, I'd just throw Phoenix Downs and Megapotions at them.

TwisterGameX
Only time I ever used items to heal in that game is when Yuna wasn't with my party or if they were things that she couldn't heal with her magic.

Plus as I said, I spent a LOT of time playing so I had collected TONS of items....so much in fact, that instead of actually attacking undead monsters, I'd just throw Phoenix Downs and Megapotions at them.

You are the master in that game Happy Dance This game for Gc called tales of symphonai that has 2 disks is well...damn..I use potions like animal. I also level up so much it's not funny and some times slaughter the bad guy but the one after it puts me in my grave.

In FFX I also waste to much time in playing the other things in the game like that ball game but don't go to the accual mission.

BackFire
A few moths ago I went through FF7,8,9, and 10 all in about a month. With all the games except 10, I went through and did the bare minimum. I beat FF7 in about 30 hours, I beat FF8 in around 30 hours, 9 in 30 hours and 10 in probably 40 (I did more in 10 because I'd never beaten it and wanted to do a lot of the extras.

Anyways, I found that it's kinda more enjoyable and satisfying when you beat the games without making your characters really strong and getting all the best weapons and spells. It's kinda anti-climactic when you can beat the final boss in 2 hits. It's a lot more dramatic and kinda increases the plausability of the story when it's actually challenging. I mean, after you get through the storylines, most of the bosses are supposed to be really powerful, and trivializing their power by two shotting them just hurts the storyline more then it helps.

That was one of the best things about FF9, there were no "I won" skills in that game that broke the damage limit or allowed for multiple attacks in one turn. The most damage you could do in one turn was 9999, so no matter what, the boss fight was pretty good.

powerfulone1987
You aint kidding. Yunalesca, that witch, she gave me so much trouble I gave up for months and months after repeatedly trying to beat her. I think it's ludicrous to have to fight three forms, that's like 3 dif. bosses once after the other without any repair time.
Eventually when I heard about X-2 like a year later, I popped the game back in and tried over and over again and in some miraculous way I defeated her and continued with the game until I got to the final boss and had to use some codes to defeat it.

The other boss on FFX that I had trouble with maybe more than Yunalesca was the flying dragon you battle on top of the flying ship. OH my god! After repeatedly trying, I took a lot of months off and really just gave up playing the game and never thought i'd be able to win. And then for some stupid reason, months and months later, I put the game back in and decided to try again and I beat it. God i felt good.

But I am afraid to say that I have been in another long Hiatus.
This time in FFX-2 and the boss is the big machine with the ghost that's on top of it. I would think that this is the final battle/boss. But since I never beat it I am not certain but I am sure that it is.
Anyway the last time I attempted this was either sometime last year very early this year.
I even got a code to give me Infinite HP, but it still runs out on that final attack when you have a certain amount of time to defeat the machine before it destroys the world. And I also loose if all of my players get Pertrified. So yeah, but I have other codes that I never put in and then went online and got some advice and people were like saying how they used their Dark Knight outfit and that was the best and that's how they beat it and I should use that. But I don't have that , but I do have the code for that. I just haven't bothered going back and using the code to get that out fit yet. But I have high hopes that I can beat it once I apply that out fit. I don't know why I haven't did it yet. It just takes a while for me to get back in to some games.
Believe me, there's a lot of games I own that I haven't completed just b/c I never got back into it.
But I will definitely get back to Final Fantasy X-2 and use that code and defeat the machine thing.....

Lana
Yeah, Evrae's hard if you don't have Lulu knowing 3rd level black magic....for that I had Tidus cast Haste on everyone, and always had him and Rikku out, and switch between Wakka and Auron, depending on whether he was close to the ship or not.

If you're talking about Vegnagun, it's fairly easy to defeat....have one character Gun Mage, one White Mage, and the last either Alchemist or Dark Knight, and you shouldn't have any problems.

powerfulone1987
Well when I eventually put the game back in. I'll definitely try that combination.
Of course I'll have to insert a code to get Dark Knight and Alchemist. Which one did you use?

Lana
I didn't use any codes....I never use codes.

TwisterGameX
I didn't use any codes....I never use codes.

Hmmm Tough girl are we. Happy Dance

powerfulone1987
I just don't see how yall spend these galactic amount of times leveling up.
I do try and spend a lot of time leveling up, but when I fight bosses I still struggle sometimes.

I don't just breeze through all of them.

Like I said I do spend lots of time leveling up and I never run away from battles just to get through them because I know that it is only helping me.

I especially like it AFTERWARDS, NOT DURING, when I go through this this long path/route in the game thinking I am progressing and I batttle all of these monsters along the way, just to realize I did all of that for nothing and what I needed to do was right in front of me and I wasted all that time, but the good thing is I spent all of that extra time battling monsters along the way that I otherwise wouldn't have fought again if I realized I didn't have to go through that whole path again. So I start to feel like I'm ahead of the game.
But the way you're talking Lana, I don't even break the surface with my leveling up if you are only get 1 game overs ever and using minimal health equipment and beating bosses with the blink of an eye.

Lana
I just spend a lot of time playing them because I love the games.

powerfulone1987
Are you currently playing Final Fantasy X or X-2 and if not and you have completed them what ending did you get on X-2 and would you play either of them over.

Lana
I've played all the way through FFX three or four times and FFX-2 twice. I never got the perfect ending on FFX-2, though, the best I got was 92% completion. I don't know where my game is though so I can't play it again sad

powerfulone1987
How old are?
And that sad that you lost your game.
It's the type of game that you want to always keep in your collection once you have it.
Especially since it was the first Final Fantasy Sequel. I would buy it again.
And the fact that you played through them more than once, kind of got me thinking I should do it too.

The only thing that keeps me from doing that kind of thing is that I'm thinking that nobody in the world is playing the game anymore so I would be the only one doing so. Then going through all of the random battles and the boss battles again seems like a nag.
But maybe I will, ya never know.

Well off to watch "Lost". Nit all.

Lana
How old am I? I'll be 20 in three months.

My copy of FFX is scratched so it freezes after you fight Sin at Kilika, I need to replace both sad I replay them because they're great games, I couldn't care less if other people are still playing them or not.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by BackFire
A few moths ago I went through FF7,8,9, and 10 all in about a month. With all the games except 10, I went through and did the bare minimum. I beat FF7 in about 30 hours, I beat FF8 in around 30 hours, 9 in 30 hours and 10 in probably 40 (I did more in 10 because I'd never beaten it and wanted to do a lot of the extras.

Anyways, I found that it's kinda more enjoyable and satisfying when you beat the games without making your characters really strong and getting all the best weapons and spells. It's kinda anti-climactic when you can beat the final boss in 2 hits. It's a lot more dramatic and kinda increases the plausability of the story when it's actually challenging. I mean, after you get through the storylines, most of the bosses are supposed to be really powerful, and trivializing their power by two shotting them just hurts the storyline more then it helps.

That was one of the best things about FF9, there were no "I won" skills in that game that broke the damage limit or allowed for multiple attacks in one turn. The most damage you could do in one turn was 9999, so no matter what, the boss fight was pretty good.

I very much agree.

I think there is a heavy section of the gaming community that is more interested in beating the game than playing it, if you see what I mean, hence the problems I outlined above (which, btw, everyone else seemed to understand fine, powerfulone1987).

Lana
First time I went through FFX, I didn't even realize exactly how much I had levelled up my characters until I had beat Omega and Ultima Weapons...I had played FFVIII first, and I struggled through that game. Took me something like 45 minutes to an hour to defeat Ultimecia. So then when I played FFX I decided I was going to wait until my characters had gotten really strong, but didn't realize that I kinda overdid it until I killed the weapons in about 3 hits each.

I wish I had a modded PS2 so I could get the International version of FFX, because in it you can fight the Dark Aeons as extra bosses once you defeat the game....Dark Bahamut has something like 9 million HP, if I remember correctly. Considering the fact that I have yet to ever even be able to defeat a hybrid in the Monster Arena, I'd probably get completely wiped out by the Aeons.....but it'd be fun though!

TwisterGameX
The reason I might just want to beat the game and not side track is because a I want to find out what happens next in the story.

Ushgarak
To do that by misisng out huge chunks of the experience of the game is to render the ffort put into the game by its story authors rather irrelevant. There's more to a story like that than the next 'plot checkpoint', you know. If you want that kind of story, go watch a movie.

TwisterGameX
well said U well I just started ffx like weeks ago and I guess i wll slow down. Tales of symphonia if you played it, then you got to do the story because when people get captured your like wtf where is this thing or if some one is about to die you got to do more story. MGS is the story king(top 10)

powerfulone1987
To do that by misisng out huge chunks of the experience of the game is to render the ffort put into the game by its story authors rather irrelevant. There's more to a story like that than the next 'plot checkpoint', you know. If you want that kind of story, go watch a movie.

I don't think that just because they decided to put all of this extra stuff in the game that a gamer should play through it just b/c it's there if they don't want to.
They may be in it just for the story and there's nothing wrong with that. That's why the people who put it in the game, didn't make it mandatory..
This said, I still went out and did the side missions b/c I wanted to do everything in the game.

Lana
All the minigames and stuff, though, usually do add to the story, or at the very least are required to get certain things. At the very least, they're fun. I always go through and try and complete EVERYTHING....the main story plot, the side plots, the minigames...like in FFX, the main plot is about Yuna and Tidus, but there's also the subplots about Auron, Lulu, and Wakka. I always go through and try and complete ALL that stuff, because only then do you really get the whole story and impact of the game.

TwisterGameX
Which FF had the hardest boss ever...I forget but it was the last boss and every one complains to death.

TwisterGameX
OH it was FF7 Sephiroth. NO ONE BEAT THAT GUY.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by powerfulone1987
I don't think that just because they decided to put all of this extra stuff in the game that a gamer should play through it just b/c it's there if they don't want to.
They may be in it just for the story and there's nothing wrong with that. That's why the people who put it in the game, didn't make it mandatory..
This said, I still went out and did the side missions b/c I wanted to do everything in the game.

As I actually said in my post, if you don't try and experience the world, you are effectively missing the story.

The fact that people can just power game and skip the experience was actually a criticism of the system, so the fact that they didn't make it mandatory is hardly a riposte to that. It is very possible for the game to be a hollow stat-beating exercise to reach the next cutscene, which is a silly way to play a video game.

powerfulone1987
As I actually said in my post, if you don't try and experience the world, you are effectively missing the story.

The fact that people can just power game and skip the experience was actually a criticism of the system, so the fact that they didn't make it mandatory is hardly a riposte to that. It is very possible for the game to be a hollow stat-beating exercise to reach the next cutscene, which is a silly way to play a video game.

That kind of thinking is exactly what I am rebutting.
In your opinion it is "silly", but that doesn't make it silly.
If some people want to play the game like that, let them.
There's nothing wrong with it.

is it comprehensible.....

Lana
Well, it is the truth. All the side missions and games and stuff are part of the plot, and if you don't do them all you won't get the full story. Even doing things in FFX like getting all the Aeons, fighting Belgemine...they're things you don't HAVE to do, but you won't get the full plot unless you do them.

powerfulone1987
Well I do do the Side Missions so I have no problem.

TwisterGameX
so no one beat ff7 ?

powerfulone1987
regetfully never played it but would like to.

BackFire
so no one beat ff7 ?

I beat FF7...

TwisterGameX
I beat FF7...

Thats a damn lie. FF7 the last boss is made that you can't beat it. Not even the creators themselves beat this game. No way on earth you beat it. FF7 boss is harder than that lizard chick in Ninja Gaiden.

powerfulone1987
Thats a damn lie..

lol.

haha
muwahahahaha.

BackFire
Thats a damn lie. FF7 the last boss is made that you can't beat it. Not even the creators themselves beat this game. No way on earth you beat it. FF7 boss is harder than that lizard chick in Ninja Gaiden.

lol, what?

FF7 was a pretty easy game to beat. If you get Knigts of the Round you can one shot the boss.

TwisterGameX
lol, what?

FF7 was a pretty easy game to beat. If you get Knigts of the Round you can one shot the boss.

jawdrop

Ushgarak
That kind of thinking is exactly what I am rebutting.
In your opinion it is "silly", but that doesn't make it silly.
If some people want to play the game like that, let them.
There's nothing wrong with it.

What do you think I was asking for, to ban the way some people play the game?

Do try and pay attention to my posts. I started out saying that there was this flaw in FF games about how they could all be beaten in the same boring way. BF came and said he never played like that because it was better to play through the game properly, and I pointed out the game design encouraged a lot of people to not play it properly.

It's a flaw in the game which makes it highly possible to play it all wrong, and random encounters are at the heart of that.

It's a technical flaw in the game. But as far as opinion is concerned- I am seriously worried about your judgment if you don't find that silly.

BackFire
Yeah, the first time I play through them I tend to do everything I can, just because I want to experience everything, as a result my characters generally get quite strong just from the weapons and armor and whatever "uber" spells you pick up along the way. This creates the problem I spoke of earlier, trivializing the end boss by killing it in two hits. The random encounters do allow people to just grind XP until they get to level cap, and simply blaze through the whole game without any challenge. While it's nice to be able to level up easily when you need to just by redundantly killing monsters over and over, it takes away from the story.

I'd also say that by doing everything in the game, you often lose the cohesion of the story. For instance, in FF7 by the third disc there is a massive meteor heading toward the planet, so logically time would be of the essence, coincidentally this is around the same point in time when you start to do the sidequests and bonus games. So people get to this point where the game tells them that a big ass meteor is supposed to be colliding with the planet in a matter of days, and at the same time it promotes you going and screwing around at an amusement park and breeding chocobos. If you do all of the sidequests at this point in the game(as most people do), you begin to lose sight the coherency and importance of your journey and begin only caring about getting the best gear you can. By the time you get all of the items you can get, and get back into the main story, you already haven't done anything to progress the story in so long that you just don't really care anymore. The game has unintentionally taken you OUT of the story by promoting the sidequests all at the same time.

This happens in all of the FF games in some way. So generally I like to beat the game the first time doing everything, and then later going back and playing it for a second time just for the storyline and skipping all of the extra features. That way you get the best of both worlds.

SaTsuJiN
lol yeah.. ff7 final boss.. ugh.. I had basically just went through the game, I did whatever I could find.. but nothing to where I Had to go diggin for a side quest..

but me and final boss were so evenly matched.. I fought him for 2 hours and neither of us were coming close to dying... it really sux0red, so I just turned the power off -,-

Lana
If I could find a damn copy of FFVII I'd have beaten it.......miffed it's freaking impossible to find, I've been looking for a copy for Playstation for going on four years now with no luck.

FFVIII I found tricky and found that it didn't matter how much you levelled up, because with the exception of bosses, the monsters you fight will always be around the level of your characters (if I remember correcly). There were a couple optional bosses in that game that I don't think I ever defeated, actually.....

TwisterGameX
If I could find a damn copy of FFVII I'd have beaten it.......miffed it's freaking impossible to find, I've been looking for a copy for Playstation for going on four years now with no luck.

FFVIII I found tricky and found that it didn't matter how much you levelled up, because with the exception of bosses, the monsters you fight will always be around the level of your characters (if I remember correcly). There were a couple optional bosses in that game that I don't think I ever defeated, actually.....

laughing out loud Try like odering it online if you do that then they might have it. FF7 is like the most popular game for some reason.

Lana
It's also out of print, which makes it rather hard to find. I'd just buy it off ebay but I don't like buying things through there.

TwisterGameX
It's also out of print, which makes it rather hard to find. I'd just buy it off ebay but I don't like buying things through there.

I know what mean, I dn doing that either. Well the store near me has like 10 FF7s. Travel a bit lol and go to a no named store an dthey will have some. I don't think you could of beat FF7 final boss anyway evil face

TwisterGameX

Just curious..have you played tales of Symphonia for the GC and skies of arcidia ?

BackFire
here you go Lana - http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/137016.asp

Lana
Sweet.

I've been trying to find it at a store by my house, though, I don't want to have to pay for shipping if I don't have to.

Buuuut as I've been luckless for this long, I may have to just buy it online. Oh well.

BackFire
No gamestops or EB's have it around your house?

TwisterGameX
They got 10 of them where I am, they all have FF7 big grin

Lana
Not that I've been able to find, no.

Or, the one time I DID find a copy, someone snagged it right before I did. I was pissed that time.

TwisterGameX

Or, the one time I DID find a copy, someone snagged it right before I did. I was pissed that time.

laughing out loud

BackFire

Wow...that's shitty.

I can't believe you haven't played FF7, you're in for a huge treat.

Just buy it online and be done with it.

TwisterGameX
is it better than FFX Backfire in your opinion ?

powerfulone1987
What do you think I was asking for, to ban the way some people play the game?

Do try and pay attention to my posts. I started out saying that there was this flaw in FF games about how they could all be beaten in the same boring way. BF came and said he never played like that because it was better to play through the game properly, and I pointed out the game design encouraged a lot of people to not play it properly.

It's a flaw in the game which makes it highly possible to play it all wrong, and random encounters are at the heart of that.

It's a technical flaw in the game. But as far as opinion is concerned- I am seriously worried about your judgment if you don't find that silly.

I find it silly and I there is no wrong way to play the game.

is it comprehensible....

BackFire
is it better than FFX Backfire in your opinion ?

Yeah.

It's the second best in the series, IMO.

TwisterGameX
Yeah.

It's the second best in the series, IMO.

Happy Dance what was the first best ?

powerfulone1987
You better get it before I decide to Lana.

Right now I am trying to see if I can find another one on another site.

It says on the one posted above that it may not come in original package or with the instruction book.
I don't like that.

I did find a Plaitinum Collection Edition for the PC and PS that's brand new but those are $73.50 and $84.95.

I don't want it for the PC anyway, and I didn't know that they made it for the PC.

They also have FFXII for sale that you can order now and it says it comes out April 6, 2006.

is it comprhensible.....

BackFire
Happy Dance what was the first best ?

Final Fantasy 6

TwisterGameX
wait are you and lana in the U.S ?

powerfulone1987
Yes we are,why?

is it comprhensible.....

TwisterGameX
oh was just wondering because of the store.

Lana
Yep, I'm in the US....

And they always have games available for preorder way in advance.

TwisterGameX
I am not sure if people want 12 anymore I dn why. Also have you played Kingdom hearts because clouds in it.

powerfulone1987
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000JRSB/ref=olp_product_details/103-9983257-2347041?v=glance&s=videogames

This might not work if you just click it. If it doesn't just cut and paste it into your URL.

Now it says this is Final Fantasy 7 but the picture disturbs me b/c I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

But when you go down the page further and read the reviews. They are obviously talking about Final Fantasy 7, so maybe they made a mistake or didn't have the right picture to put there.

But they have around 22 new old pre used ones for around the same price.

That sounds good doesn't it?

Well let me know what yall think.

powerfulone1987
I currently just defeated Ursula in the "Little Mermaid" world.

Next time I play I will continue with the next competition at the Hercules World and then proceed to the Halloween World.

TwisterGameX
No those guys are in the game...special eddition.

powerfulone1987
What are you talking about?

TwisterGameX
My ps1 blew up so good thing ps2 can play old games.

powerfulone1987
No those guys are in the game...special eddition.

I meant, what do you mean in this post.

JKozzy
No those guys are in the game...special eddition. The Final Mix? The enemies powerfulone described are in the normal version blink

And, more on-topic:

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3145629&did=1

smile

JKozzy
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/1347/45984120051110screen0048fj.jpg

wink

Lana
Wow, I don't like how the menus look erm

BackFire
I don't like the way the CHARACTERS look. Shit.

JKozzy
I really hope the game plays better than it looks... 4 years, c'mon... erm

I'm gonna rent Dragon Quest VIII to play the demo, as it's packaged in there.

Lana
Man does that look like crap.

I HOPE that's just a test scene and not actually indicative of how it's going to actually look erm

Dragon Quest....aka Dragon Warrior....I've been playing those games since I was 3 years old laughing out loud

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by JKozzy

I'm gonna rent Dragon Quest VIII to play the demo, as it's packaged in there.

When you say packaged with the game, do you mean another demo disc with the game disc or all on one disc, b/c I wouldn't think that rental stores would include a whole seperate demo disc with a game you rent.

Although I haven't rented a game in ages, what do I know?

Lana
Jkozzy's played the demo whistling

JKozzy

I'm gonna rent Dragon Quest VIII to play the demo, as it's packaged in there. It is better than it looks! 4 years well spent. The battle system was such a great surprise. Any fans of WoW or Guild Wars will feel right at home with the new system.

More or less, hit X to bring up the Attack/Item/Summon/Magic menu, (and Gambit, didn't really experiment with what that was yet, I will on my second try through) and you choose who to attack. You'll keep attacking that enemy normally unless you give seperate commands to the character. You control the leader of the party, the other two are AI. You can hit the up and down on the digital pad to switch the leader, thus giving you control over the different party members.

Espers are back, I summoned one with Ashe... your other two party members are banished until you dismiss the Esper. Ashe basically controls it; I used it on a Bomb, so I didn't get too much fighting experience with it until its time ran out and left. After playing the demo and viewing the opening and ending movies to it (a good half hour) I definately felt much more positive about the game than I did before I played it. The demo was a good look into what's to come, and hopefully the wait won't be too much longer.

JKozzy
When you say packaged with the game, do you mean another demo disc with the game disc or all on one disc, b/c I wouldn't think that rental stores would include a whole seperate demo disc with a game you rent.

Although I haven't rented a game in ages, what do I know?

is it comprehensible..... It was packaged as a seperate bonus disc. Honestly, I don't know either, if they'd include it in a rental or not, though I would assume they would, since it was part of the package.

powerfulone1987
I saw today for the first time on tv about how the game includes the demo.
I didn't even know the game was out yet. Are yall getting the game just for the demo or are you fans of dragonquest or have you never played dragon quest and just trying it out and succumbing to all of the hype?
I don't know if i should succumb to all of the hype. I afterall have played none of the games and don't know the story.
I wouldn't want to play the demo anyway, b/c I feel that would spoil the game for me. And when you say opening and ending movie. Do you mean they showed the end movie to the whole game giving away the ending?

Lana
Dragon Quest (formerly known as Dragon Warrior in the US) is probably the first video game I've ever played, having played the very first Dragon Warrior game on NES when I was three years old. So I'd get Dragon Quest on it's own anyway, but if it comes with a demo for FFXII....well....just even more reason to get it big grin

JKozzy
I saw today for the first time on tv about how the game includes the demo.
I didn't even know the game was out yet. Are yall getting the game just for the demo or are you fans of dragonquest or have you never played dragon quest and just trying it out and succumbing to all of the hype?
I don't know if i should succumb to all of the hype. I afterall have played none of the games and don't know the story.
I wouldn't want to play the demo anyway, b/c I feel that would spoil the game for me. And when you say opening and ending movie. Do you mean they showed the end movie to the whole game giving away the ending?

is it comprehensible..... Why would they spoil the game? The intro movie is a cinematic trailer, and the ending movie is some gameplay.

Luckily I didn't need to touch DQVIII to get the demo, so that was free. Not that it's not a good game, I'm sure it is, but I don't have the finances to buy another game. I don't understand how the demo could spoil the game, considering there is zero plot involved. The sole purpose of the demo is to familiarize yourself with the combat and the battle system. If you have the slightest interest in Final Fantasy, I would recommend playing the demo, if at all possible.

Avenger2.0
FF XII yey

powerfulone1987
Why would they spoil the game? The intro movie is a cinematic trailer, and the ending movie is some gameplay.

Luckily I didn't need to touch DQVIII to get the demo, so that was free. Not that it's not a good game, I'm sure it is, but I don't have the finances to buy another game. I don't understand how the demo could spoil the game, considering there is zero plot involved. The sole purpose of the demo is to familiarize yourself with the combat and the battle system. If you have the slightest interest in Final Fantasy, I would recommend playing the demo, if at all possible.

How is gameplay referred to as an "ending movie".

And since I'm not going to get the Dragon Quest game, I don't have to contemplate over whether to play the demo or not.
And plus, like you mentioned earlier you get to summon in a battle, and yes I knew this, because ash has one special monster she can summon, some fire one, and then the other main character has one that he can summon, i forget what type. Anyway that would kind of spoile it for me because I would like to experience all of this when I'm actually playing and have something to look forward to besides the game itself while I'm waiting for the game. B/c if I do play the demo, then I'm introducing myself to a part that I'll be familiar with when the game comes out and it won't be new to me and i'll have to do it all over again. I want the first time I do it to be when I'm doing it for real in the real game in a story.

Lana
Her name is spelled Ashe, btw.

And I really don't see how playing a demo will ruin anything; even if it is a story part (like the demo for FFVIII that I had was) it usually is something that still will be changed before the game's release.

General Kaliero
I see no harm in playing a demo of the game. If you played the demo for Metroid Prime 2, that allowed you to familiarize yourself with the gameplay and opening. But in fact, the opening was changed almost completely from what was seen in the demo.

Besides, demos like these always ask more questions that they answer. Demos are designed to make you want the game more, not ruin it so that you won't buy it.

powerfulone1987
Well I would rather familiarize myself with the game when I first get it so that it can feel new and brand new to me and I won't have wait months and months until I can continue beyond the demo. I would like to start and keep playing, so I'll wait for the game to come out and let it all be new to me at once and then I can keep playing. I'd rather see the summon for the first time when I actually have the game and am playing it the whole way through, I want it to be new to me then instead of now and then being something I've already experienced months ago.

TwisterGameX
Quick note( is ff6 and 7 that hard to find..because I see it every game store I go too...you know they wouldn't have it at gamestop or ebgames maybe, but go to those loser stores that have no name..like game pak or some store and they have like 80 copies along with japanese games...

powerfulone1987
"Game Pak" would be a name would it not?

TwisterGameX
"Game Pak" would be a name would it not?

I mean not a popular store type like gamestop...

JKozzy
How is gameplay referred to as an "ending movie".

And since I'm not going to get the Dragon Quest game, I don't have to contemplate over whether to play the demo or not.
And plus, like you mentioned earlier you get to summon in a battle, and yes I knew this, because ash has one special monster she can summon, some fire one, and then the other main character has one that he can summon, i forget what type. Anyway that would kind of spoile it for me because I would like to experience all of this when I'm actually playing and have something to look forward to besides the game itself while I'm waiting for the game. B/c if I do play the demo, then I'm introducing myself to a part that I'll be familiar with when the game comes out and it won't be new to me and i'll have to do it all over again. I want the first time I do it to be when I'm doing it for real in the real game in a story.

Is it comprehensible..... A demo is never like the game, normally a scenerio is developed in order for the game to be tested. How is gameplay referred to as an ending movie? Uh, it's the movie that's shown at the end... can't get much simpler than that. huhOriginally posted by powerfulone1987
Well I would rather familiarize myself with the game when I first get it so that it can feel new and brand new to me and I won't have wait months and months until I can continue beyond the demo. I would like to start and keep playing, so I'll wait for the game to come out and let it all be new to me at once and then I can keep playing. I'd rather see the summon for the first time when I actually have the game and am playing it the whole way through, I want it to be new to me then instead of now and then being something I've already experienced months ago.

is it comprehensible..... It usually is new since the demo is not the final product by any means... the retail is always much different. If you're so against demos, I suggest you leave the thread, for the screenshots that are posted will surely ruin the game for you too, since you will see characters that you hadn't seen before, and seeing them now would ruin the newness for when you see them in the game roll eyes (sarcastic)

powerfulone1987
Actually I have seen the characters already and read bios and seen many pics and everything so nah buddy, i'm staying.

And I don't see why they would put the end movie to the game on the demo disc, that would definitely ruin the game, being able to see what happens at the end. That's why i asked what how it could be on the demo. So if it "it can't get much simpler than that", oh well, but it sounds obsurd to me.

Lana
And chances are even it if is an actual movie it will be DRASTICALLY changed before the game is released.

And knowing about the characters and bios will spoil the game far more than playing a short demo would, you realize.

powerfulone1987
I don't really see how, knowing about the characters will lessen it for me the first time I play the game.
Knowing about the characters and actually playing the game are two different games.
Knowing some background info. about some characters will only help me to understand better when I start and the gameplay will still be new to me when I first play since I won't have played the demo months ago.

Is anybody else anal about reading through the whole instruction book of a game before playing the game?
I am, many times I don't play the game for the first day or so because I always have to read the intruction book first.
I just have to.
I hate when I get a game with a super long instruction book. I've had a game for at least a week or more and not played it b/c I hadn't finished the instruction book. And I hate it because I really want to play the game, but it's just something that I'm very picky about.

Lana
Playing a demo of a couple battles won't spoil anything. Knowing character background will give info about the plot, which WILL spoil it.

And usually I just glance over the instruction book...and what are you talking about, really long? Usually they're no more than 20 pages, you can easily read that in about 15 minutes. Only takes me about 5 to read in depth.

powerfulone1987
I mean really longer. You said "usually" no more than 20 pages. That's not always, so that 's what I mean about really long, when they're really long.

SaTsuJiN
I never pickup the instruction books.. which is why I didnt know the sphere grid existed until I wondered why I wasnt leveling up (in ffx).

its more exciting to find stuff out on my own for most games.. unless its overly technical like a fighting game

powerfulone1987
It couldn't have been "exciting" to walk around not knowing why you wasn't advancing in Final Fantasy X.
That's something you want to know how to do from the beginning.

JKozzy
Actually I have seen the characters already and read bios and seen many pics and everything so nah buddy, i'm staying. So stop complaining. I was merely pointing out that reading bios and all that crap is much worse than playing the demo, so I don't really understand your logic.Originally posted by powerfulone1987

And I don't see why they would put the end movie to the game on the demo disc, that would definitely ruin the game, being able to see what happens at the end. That's why i asked what how it could be on the demo. So if it "it can't get much simpler than that", oh well, but it sounds obsurd to me.
They didn't... nobody said the ending movie to the game was on it messed

The movie that was played showed some teaser footage and some Japanese dialogue in realtime graphics, aka gameplay graphics. Usually when there's a movie that's played at the conclusion of any game or demo, it's dubbed an 'ending movie,' seeing it's a movie... and it plays at the end... no expression
It couldn't have been "exciting" to walk around not knowing why you wasn't advancing in Final Fantasy X.
That's something you want to know how to do from the beginning.

Is it comprehensible..... On the contrary, learning for myself seems to be much more fun. I agree with Satsujin.

Lana
I have to agree, also, I'd rather figure it out for myself instead of reading every single detail of the instruction booklets. It's not like the games are really THAT hard to figure out how to play or anything, especially Final Fantasy. Waste of time.

And the only game that I've seen with a really long instruction book is KOTOR for the PC, and even that I was able to skim through in less than 5 minutes.

powerfulone1987
Well that's the only ones you've seen. Oh well. Like I said I've seen some long ones, and it's no big deal. I'm sure you haven't seen every single on in the whole world.

And I'm not complaining, I was just explaining my thoughts on the issue, just because it's different from everybody elses doesn't mean I'm complaining and I don't think that the bios and stuff are spoilers.

I like reading instructions, nothing wrong with that, that's what they're there for.
And for something like the "grid" in the game. I don't think it's a matter of finding out for yourself. It's not like a one of the main goals in the storyline is the grid, it's something they expect you to know how to do, and they have the intruction book for that.
That's like saying i've played this game for 10 hours and I just found out how to get to the information screen by pressing tirangle and it felt so good to discover that for myself". It's just something you're suppose to know. So it's not like it took something from me in the game for reading the instruction when that's exactly what it's for.j

Lana
I've played MANY games. I've grown up playing video games, remember, and I've probably played games on every system that exists and has been released in the US. I'd say that my assessment that many games do not have a very long instruction booklet is fairly accurate.

And why can't you find things out like that for yourself? I didn't read my instruction book when I got FFX and I figured out the sphere grid immediately. Why? Because I messed around pressing all the buttons and figuring out what everything did. It's not that hard to do and usually takes LESS time than reading the book.

And oftentimes, the instruction books have a small walkthrough for part of the game, and THAT, in my opinion, DOES take away from the game.

General Kaliero
I usually glance over the intruction booklet without really reading it. I find introductions to stories (like prologues that lead up to the beginning of the game) and characters (those little two paragraph biographies telling why someone acts the way they do) a nice way to get into the feeling of the game. That way, I'm already in the mindset from the get-go.

But menus? Nah. Reading about them without actually playing with them only complicates things. First thing I do in a game is click all the buttons to see what they do. It's more fun that way, especially when you do something you didn't know you could and then work to find out how to do it again. That's just the way most games should be played: learn as you go.

powerfulone1987
I've played MANY games. I've grown up playing video games, remember, and I've probably played games on every system that exists and has been released in the US. I'd say that my assessment that many games do not have a very long instruction booklet is fairly accurate.

And why can't you find things out like that for yourself? I didn't read my instruction book when I got FFX and I figured out the sphere grid immediately. Why? Because I messed around pressing all the buttons and figuring out what everything did. It's not that hard to do and usually takes LESS time than reading the book.

And oftentimes, the instruction books have a small walkthrough for part of the game, and THAT, in my opinion, DOES take away from the game.

Guess what Lana. You've played MANY games. Not ALL.
So if I said I've come across long intruction books, it shouldn't even be an issue, because I'm me and you're you. What's the big deal anyway.
No matter what you say, it won't change the fact that I have in fact come across lenghty instruction books. It's not even the issue anyway.

Guess what, I read instruction books, because I like to read them. Whether I find out how to do certain things or not, the point is I like it and will continue to do so and it takes nothing whatsoever away from the game. And the instructions books that I've read rarely contain walkthroughs, and on that special occassion, every blue moon, when I do come across a walkthrough, I simply skip over it if i don't want to read it, like I did in the FFVII instruction booklet, which I read.
Yes, it's not hard to figure out the things in the game, that doesn't mean I don't want to read the intruction book. It can't hurt. It's not like I depend on it, it's that I LIKE TO READ them.
There's nothing wrong with it, so stop trying to draw a picture of reading an instruction book as being a crime. I will continue to read instruction booklets until the end of time.

General Kaliero
No one is saying that reading the booklet is a crime. It's just that people start talking about the demo included with Dragon Quest VIII and the first thing you do is knock it because it will "ruin the experience of seeing everything for the first time in the game." We're saying, if that's your ultimate goal, then why look at the instruction booklet first (for as much as a week before, as you're saying) when that will show you characters, plot, and how to play the game? It's simply counter-active to what you're claiming to want.

Also, if you don't want the game ruined for you before you get the chance to play it, why are you even engaging in a forum thread where numerous pictures and plot tidbits have been continuously showcased?

As for your "week-long instruction booklets," I'd like to know exactly what games you're claiming to have so large a booklet.

powerfulone1987
It's not necessarily a week long instruction booklet. It's that it can take that long sometimes with particularly longer instruction booklets, because it's not like i'm reading right through in one sitting, i have other things to do, and so i may read some of it one day and not pick it up until next week and read it a second time and finish it.

And I was "knocking" it. I was saying how I felt about myself playing the demo, not everybody else.
And I don't see this thread as equivalent to a demo. And most of the games I've played anyway, so you can't say that b/c you don't know what i've played or not or which ones I participate in.

And I like I said, that's how i feel about some demo disc. it's not like i've never played a demo but that's just how i feel about this particular one for me. Not that it will necessarily spoil things even though yall do say it has movies in the demo so i don't know, but i want the gameplay to be new when i get the game instead of something i've experienced months ago before it came out, Like i keep repeatedly saying here.
So i rather play the gameplay for the first time when the actual game comes out.

SaTsuJiN
http://the-magicbox.com/0601/game060106a.shtml >_<

JKozzy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhl9dRVqcsY

English voiceovers, 4 minutes preview smile

BackFire
sweet dude, thanks.

Dusty
BUMP

The game looks pretty sweet and I'm buying it no matter what. I've been dying to get my hands on another good Final Fantasy game.

Mushi
Originally posted by Dusty
BUMP

The game looks pretty sweet and I'm buying it no matter what. I've been dying to get my hands on another good Final Fantasy game.

I completely agree.

Does anyone know the UK release date? I believe it is still TBA.

BackFire
The feeling in Japan are overwhelmingly positive so far. An infamously tough video game reviews magazine over there gave it a perfect score, one only like 8 games to ever get a perfect score in said magazine.

Can't wait.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>