Can a solar sailship got through hyperspace?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

queeq
I was wondering about this. Because it doesn't look like it can. Solar winds don't reach such speeds presumably.... and if not it would have taken Dooku a heck of a long time to get to Coruscant..... if we can rely on the SW star map that is.

Dexx
but why is there a ship that works on such a sistem. He can use a common hyperdrive. The big thinggies, that open..what are they for? Solar winds?

Ushgarak
It just looks cool, is all! I assume it has a hyperdrive seperate from the sail system.

LanceWindu
Maybe he is a person that likes to conserve energy so he uses the solar sail whenever possible.

Gundark
I sure it had a hyperdrive system. I thought the sail might have been part of a cloaking device but I guess not.

finti
Yeah I also thought about the sail being some sort of cloacking device. It must have a hyperdrive or else the journey to coruscant would have taken ages.
Just remember Padmes words on Tatooine, "they have to fly across half of the galaxy to get there"(from Coruscant to Kamino).

Ushgarak
Geonosis, you mean.

yerssot
it is in the neighbourhood big grin

also think there has to be a hyperdrive on the ship

finti
eehh yeah embarrasment

Viseus
From starwars.com :

Count Dooku's solar sailer is a hybrid of obscure technologies, its core body being a modified Punworcca 116-class sloop while the sail was provided by the Count himself. Geonosian engineers, who have long had a history of designing atmospheric sailing vessels, had no problem merging the two into the finished craft.

The term solar sail is a misnomer, since Count Dooku's interstellar sloop uses an as-yet unknown brand of energetic propulsion far more exotic than stellar radiation. Dooku acquired the delicate and ancient sail from mysterious Gree artisans, who developed a technology that harnesses supralight emissions for interstellar travel.

The solar sailer, like other Geonosian ships, uses a sophisticated array of narrow tractor/repulsor beams as offensive grapples and steering aids when in flight, affording the vessel an impressive maneuverability.

Texas
Guess that answers that! big grin

Captain REX
Punworcca 116...Geonasians come up with cheesy names. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Dexx
They finally updated the sw databank...woooo.
Oh..this might clear a few thingz:
The vessel's carapace opens to expel its diaphanous sail, which unfurls into a parabolic chute that gathers energetic particles for propulsion.

yerssot
finally? they updated it two days ago

Dexx
yeah..well....i was out in the weekend. And they didn't update it completly....

Gundark
Thanks Viseus. cool

queeq
Still doesn't answer the question though.

Ushgarak
Other than that it mentions supralight emissions for interstellar travel? A hyperspace substitute, I would think.

Dexx
Well...it's been Xplained a bit how it works.......other than that, well...it's something of GL's mystery. If we would know the rest, we could build it for real.
Besides.....i don't c the advantages it has comparing to other ships with normal hyperdrives. I imagien it's not very good in direct shootings either.....

yerssot
if that sail is real (meaning not metal) wouldn't it get destroyed in hyper?

LanceWindu
I would think so.

Ushgarak
Why? We don't know ANYTHING about how hyperspace works. Why would high speed destroy the sail?

yerssot
don't know, sounded normal

Captain REX
Maybe because your goin really fast. I don't know.

LanceWindu
I don't know.

Dexx
No...you're not going fast at all. In fact, you're not going. It's the principle of getting from one point to another without making the distance between them. According to my Xplanation, it decomposes into weightless particless and recomposes back at the entry point.

Gundark
Well THAT makes sense.

queeq
Sounds a lot like "beam me up Scotty". Wrong movie dude.

No, you absolutely FLY through space. Quote from ANH: "Without the right calculations, you could fly through a star or bounce up to a supernova and that'd end this trip real quick, wouldn't it"

The sail is meant for solar winds, flying through hypersace is for sure faster than that so that'd mean the sail'd have to be retracted before going into hyperspace otherwise logic suggests it'd wrap all around the ship.
So if that is correct, it would mean that you'd have to open sail after leaving the atmosphere, then retract it and go inot hyperspace, upon arriving open the sail again and then retract it to enter the atmosphere of another planet. Sounds like a *****. big grin

finti
Flying dutchman in space

queeq
You better believe it.

Ushgarak
As has been sggested, queeq, the sail is NOT meant for solar winds.

Dexx
I was talking about the principles of Hyperspace. These things are prooven (some of them anyway big grin ) It resembles teleportation, in a way. I can't take Han's line for real. If u take that, then if u look outside during hyperspace u see blue stuff moving around with great speed. I'm convinced that in the real thing ( and it will be real ) it's a glitch in the time space continuoum. Time is not the same for the guy in the ship as it is for ....me. I think that ( simply speaking ) the ship dissappears and appears at the entry coordinates. Ofcourse when entering hyperspace there is need for great speeds..but that wouldn't be a problem. Hyper space is ( to me) getting from one point to another in a very short period of time, without without flyin' to any path between them.
I watch to much TV rolling on floor laughing

General Kaliero
That makes it all clear as crystal, Dexx. wink

General Kaliero
Actually, think about the principle of space and solar winds. A solar wind is particles being literally blown from a star out into space. Space, as a vacuum, has no air friction, or at least very little. Thus, if a sail were constucted to catch the solar particles, and translate their energy into propulsion, then with no air friction, it would be quite possible to attain speeds greater than that of the speeds attainable through hyperspace, making the solar sail a faster and more efficient form of travel. smile
Honestly, don't you guys ever read quantum physics? wink

Ushgarak
That's chod, though, because hyperspace is FTL and no solar-based system could make you go that fast.

The EU excuse is that it uses supra-light particles, which is so much sci-fi nonsense of course, but that is rather the point. Trying to find a physics based explanation is pointless.

queeq
Dexx, not only do you watch much TV, you watch much Star Trek.

Dexx
i did some time ago......I'm more of the Original series fan......

General Kaliero
But the important part is that a huge amount would be caught in the sail. And the particles would keep shoveling on as the ship was moving until... FLASH!!!... your faster than hyperspace.

Ushgarak
Yes, but solar winds would be no good because no matter what the couldn't make you go faster than light speed.

Hence the inventioin of these mythical particles.

Dexx
Ha...! I thought the same, but it's been prooven that the light speed can be broken.

queeq
Well....

Ushgarak
It cannot be broken uner the laws of particle physics and that is an absolute.

Dexx
i'm in the 9th grade. I don't know Physics.....well, at this stage at least. But i heard it has been prooven.....i dunno in wich physics

Ushgarak
Well, it's really high level stuff once you start to talk about breaking a law like that; incomprehnsible qunatum theories about which way up the universe is and so forth.

But for all intents and purposes, things can't go faster than light, so any solar wind would never be faster than light speedc! Like I say, that is why they made up these supra-light particles.

mah
well they did manage that with some super-complicated laser thingie at a lab..can't remember where...not that that has any relevance to this, of course

Ushgarak
Yeah, like I say, REALLY high-level stuff.

Naturally occuring things though... no...

General Kaliero
Only in this Universe. Star Wars is a parallel universe.

Ushgarak
Yes, but for a start, if you really want to get into technical discussions about how things in Star Wars work, it is pointless unless you ground it in real-life physics.

And secondly, just because it is parralel it does not mean the rules of the Universe are completely different. We don;t expect time to go backwards or planets to change size one second aftet the other (unless hit by the Death Star). Likewise we expect light to move at light speed and for that to be the basic speed limit for the universe barring sci-fi ways to get around that.

yerssot
SW is sci-fi so everything is almost possible, that's all

Ushgarak
Yes indeed, but the point is that it is got around in some sci-fi way, with your hyperspace drives and stuff like that. You don't just assume that the rules are different in SW so you can just go faster than light as standard.

yerssot
read about a hyperspace "gate" where you enter the system, ontopic?

queeq
Dunno.... a little so proceed.

yerssot
depends, I don't know how scientific it is...

hypergate like wormhole, that's the point really

Dexx
yes...it kinda is....hmm...but yet unXplainable this hitech is for me.
Though it will exist for sure, in a far away future

yerssot
travelling faster then light? you won't enjoy it anywayz

Dexx
yeah, ever seen SUPER NOVA? That's my ideea of hyperspace and why u might not like it

General Kaliero
A hypergate is sort of a directed wormhole. You go in one, you come out the other. But the Star Wars people can set coodinates into a navicomputer, so they don't need hypergates.

yerssot
I always thought you went in one side and half way turned around roll eyes (sarcastic)

queeq
It's not the SW way anyway.

General Kaliero
Yeah, that's actually from Lost in Space.

queeq
Hmmm, more Eu. wink

Julie
Isn't this kinda moot seeing that it happened in AOTC anyway?....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.