Lucasfilm planning to inflate prices by creating a shortage of episode III DVDs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Jello
according to lucasfilm, they're going to limit how many DVD copies each vendor will have. this will drive up prices due to shortages at some vendors while giving others an unfair advantage(probably walmart).
does anyone else think this is unfair business practices?

BAILY
I do..... LFL is about greed and corruption (ala the Empire) so I am not surprised by this daring move by the Separatists...lol. But it will make it harder come Nov 2nd (the day after the release) for people to find a copy for a good price... in Canada.. i do Futureshop... bc they are Cdn unlike that bastardly Walmart.. everyone who works for Walmart or goes to Walmart should die!!! (keeps in mind he buys his action figures there) nm.....

Darth Jello
well, that's bad cause walmart is the biggest employer, walmart should just be forced raise their prices and provide pay, benefits, and a unioni for it's workers, if they did that, our taxes would drop

DeVi| D0do
I punched a Meet and Greeter in the face once. That was a happy day.

BAILY
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
I punched a Meet and Greeter in the face once. That was a happy day.

If you did what you say you did.. you are the greatest person to have ever lived... laughing cool

Jedi Priestess
yeah ok, Ive got a copy already but I will go ahead and get another at........WALMART. stick out tongue

jedi-kev
well my money is going to the O-OT on dvd rather than ROTS

amity75
If this is true then the paying public should limit the amount of copies they buy. i.e. don't but any copies and kick Lucasfilm where it hurts.

The Ones
Once again George strikes a daring attack on our wallets but can anyone provide proof on this???

Ushgarak
This is one of the sillest attacks I have ever heard. Unfair business practice? Have you ever studied what capitalism IS?

Lucasfilm will aim to make as much money from the DVDs as possible. Therefore, they will try and work out how many people will buy and at what price, and choose the price that will therefore generate the most profit for them. They will then sell as many at that price as they possibly can.

As this is the same practice carried out but just about everyone who released a DVD, you will find the price settling at more or less the same price as other DVDs.

This is the simple supply and demand principle of economics and it is the way the system works.

PVS
you dont feel that purposely squeezing the market and NOT meeting the demand, to gain further prophits is unethical? just because its been done before doesnt make it right. "supply and demand" describes the very nature of capitalism, but the intentional manipulation of such to deny consumers the proper supply is NOT what keeps the wheels of commerce turning.

Capt_Fantastic
Hey, don't hate Lucasfilm. If you wanna talk about companies that suck, look no further than your friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart. Aside from Star Wars figures, I don't spend dime one at Wal-Mart. They treat their employees like shit, they screw their customers, they shut down every small town competitor. Sam's Club/Wal-Mart are an affront to American culture, as far as I'm concerned.

Darth Jello
before i get banned for inciting panic, here's the article-
http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6260254.html

it doesn't really address the price gouging issue, but it'll come up, trust me.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by PVS
you dont feel that purposely squeezing the market and NOT meeting the demand, to gain further prophits is unethical? just because its been done before doesnt make it right. "supply and demand" describes the very nature of capitalism, but the intentional manipulation of such to deny consumers the proper supply is NOT what keeps the wheels of commerce turning.

Err, of COURSE it is not unethical. If they reduce supply to squeeze price on demand and make more money, that is what they are MEANT to do. Like I say, the whole point is to supply at a price people will pay to make the most money.

If they reduce supply and lose money that was them being dumb.

Either way, it is exactly how they are meant to act. It's the very nature of commerce!

Sellers don't owe customers anything in the way of demand. They are expected- the system depends on, in fact- to find the supply/price combo that will make them the most money. 'Proper' supply is whatever the heck the suppliers want it to be. That's business.

The article Jello posts indicate that there has been a poblem with unsold copies of DVDs lately, which makes this move seem even more logical.

Darth Jello
most of the problem isdue to the same reason as the summer slump-too many bad movies

Jedi Priestess
Damn skippy, been an awful summer for movies messed

Darth Jello
i think that's every industry. there would be more prophets, sales, and a hell of a lot less piracy if companies put more effort into making better music, movies, and video games. good enough to own the artwork and case and stuff anyway

chinabing
So you would be wise to go buy a copy or two on the first day when its on sale everywhere.

Lucasfilm is just trying to change the whole distribution model so it avoids costly returns, probably why they're not making any VHSs. Good luck to 'em. The video sales people are looking for a big DVD hit and this one's as good as gold.

Plus you've got to admit they throw tons of stuff on the SW DVDs, none of this LOTR stuff where they put out 5 editions, first the no-frills, then the bonus disk, then the super-edition, then the super-de-dooper edition, then the super-de-dooper edition with the little action figure, and on and on.

kalsemo
Originally posted by Ushgarak
This is one of the sillest attacks I have ever heard. Unfair business practice? Have you ever studied what capitalism IS?

Lucasfilm will aim to make as much money from the DVDs as possible. Therefore, they will try and work out how many people will buy and at what price, and choose the price that will therefore generate the most profit for them. They will then sell as many at that price as they possibly can.

As this is the same practice carried out but just about everyone who released a DVD, you will find the price settling at more or less the same price as other DVDs.

This is the simple supply and demand principle of economics and it is the way the system works.

Well said!!!!! yesyesyes

Spelljammer
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Hey, don't hate Lucasfilm. If you wanna talk about companies that suck, look no further than your friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart. Aside from Star Wars figures, I don't spend dime one at Wal-Mart. They treat their employees like shit, they screw their customers, they shut down every small town competitor. Sam's Club/Wal-Mart are an affront to American culture, as far as I'm concerned.
But they sell diet cola for fifty cent.

Wal-Mart is my God..

And Bill O' Reilly is Jesus..

OB1-adobe
You guys they are not going to raise the price of the dvds

OB1-adobe
You guys, heres a number for ya.

1278 copies for around $14.99, and thats just how many my work will be getting in widescreen

case closed

Darth Sadistic
I think they are just trying to control how many copies they have to eat if they don't sell well. I just hope they don't short change any stores and can really turn around inventory quickly enough to meet the demand.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.