Thor vs. Sauron in the Second Age

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
Second-Age Sauron was a mini-giant in armour, powered up with the one ring and a mace that killed dozens in a single stroke. Classic Thor comes at him with mjolnir - does Thor take him down?

Laminator_X
Awesome matchup! I'll go with Thor if Sauron's overconfident enough to try and brawl with a fellow deity after his own power had wained to the point of being beaten down by the Numenorians centuries earlier. If Sauron plays cagey and surrenders, Asgaurd mught fall worse than Numenore.

Jargon343
Well, in a straight up brawl I'd say Thor would win. But I don't think Sauron would fight an enemy like Thor like that. If you read the books, Sauron has an uber-powerful and extremely sublte form of evil magic. No sparks and lightshow stuff, just Thor suddenly hearing a beautiful voice flowing through his head, telling him to drop his hammer and kill himself...and he wants to, because he loves Sauron, he would do anything for Sauron...

So I'd say Sauron would take it.

joesha28
That will be difficult to do to Thor. But possible.

Jargon343
Difficult yeah, but this is Sauron we're talking about. Supreme master of dark magic and all that which is evil.

He's like the LOTRs version of Satan. His only weakness is the one ring.

Laminator_X
Remember, he did get smacked down hard by the first wave of Numenorian invaders, and it took him several centuries to corrupt them. They were only men with some elf and demigod blood in their veins. I'll say whichever one is more arrogant looses.

Rune Thor would own Sauron with ease.

joesha28
Classic Thor might suck up Sauron magick.

Jargon343
Originally posted by joesha28
Classic Thor might suck up Sauron magick.

I don't think Sauron is a Wiccan big grin

joesha28
laughing laughing

Well he's not margoth either

Laminator_X
I may be forgetting something, but I don't recall Sauron ever winning a face to face confrontation afer the First Age. His power was continuously waining the more he misused it. He did bring down Gil-galad and Elindil during the Last Alliance, but those guys weren't on Thor's level.

Sauron's victiries have all come through long term deception and subversion.

roughrider
Who knows how powerful Sauron was to face in a physical confrontation then? We have the evidence of the film to show how scary he was, taking out out Legions of Men & Elves on his own. It comes down to the power of his magic might, with the ring, versus Thor's with mjolnir.
The book is less descriptive: The Last Alliance beats down the doors of Mordor, and Isildur cuts the ring from Sauron's hand; that's it.

TheKahn
Sauron, seeing that he is overpowered by Thor surrenders and only asks to keep his ring as it grants him his power (a trick). Thor being not too bright immedatly takes the ring and keeps it as a trophy. Over the next few years, with Sauron imprisioned somewhere waiting for the right time to strike, Thor become more and more attached to the ring and the power it grants him. He decides that he should be King of not only the Gods but of the whole world. He raises an army of demons and frost giants to wage war against earth's heroes and the Norse Gods. He also frees Sauron to make more weapons like to ring to equip his army. The battle rages for years with the Gods and Heroes winning the fight, but just barely. When suddenly a dark figure apears over the dead body of Thor and Sauron reclaims his ring and finishs off the weakened heroes and Gods. Sauron Wins.

Laminator_X
There ya go! That's how Sauron plays things.

TheKahn
devil

There is more than one way to win

Darth_Erebus
Originally posted by TheKahn
Sauron, seeing that he is overpowered by Thor surrenders and only asks to keep his ring as it grants him his power (a trick). Thor being not too bright immedatly takes the ring and keeps it as a trophy. Over the next few years, with Sauron imprisioned somewhere waiting for the right time to strike, Thor become more and more attached to the ring and the power it grants him. He decides that he should be King of not only the Gods but of the whole world. He raises an army of demons and frost giants to wage war against earth's heroes and the Norse Gods. He also frees Sauron to make more weapons like to ring to equip his army. The battle rages for years with the Gods and Heroes winning the fight, but just barely. When suddenly a dark figure apears over the dead body of Thor and Sauron reclaims his ring and finishs off the weakened heroes and Gods. Sauron Wins.

I don't see it playing out that way. Odin would intervene before Thor could raise enough of an Army. Unlike Thor, Odin is sharp as a tac and would figure out what's going on early in the game. Sauron would then be toast.

Cosmic Cube
When we say "classic Thor," how "classic" do we mean? shifty

60's? 70's?

roughrider
Before Rune King or Odin Power.

Khellendros
I'm going with Thor here, for pretty much the same reasons as everyone else. Physically, he owns Sauron. If sauron tries his mind tricks then Odin, at the very least, would catch on and boot his ass out of Asgard. Either way Sauron gets another loss chalked up.

guy smiley
Originally posted by TheKahn

More like Sauron, seeing that he is overpowered by Thor surrenders and only asks to keep his ring as it grants him his power (a trick). Thor being not too bright immediatly takes the ring and keeps it as a trophy. Immediately upon possesing the ring Thor feels strangley drawn to it. He loves the ring and would destroy anyone foolish enough to try and take it from him even his beloved father Odin. "What manner of trickery is this?! That I would dare think to slay mine own father??!" Thor looks down at Sauron and realizes the trap he tried to ensnare the thunder god in. "Devil! Thou dost try to trick the god of thunder and make him your thrall???" Thor takes off the ring and smashes it with Mjolnir because Mjolnir's magic is greater then Sauron's do to it being enchanted by Odin. Sauron screams and explodes and he is dead.

Laminator_X
I could resonably see it happening either way, though he'd probably have to go for a mega-windup-punch-a-hole-in-a-Celestial strike to destroy the ring. The White Council thought Dragon's fire might destroy it, though they weren't sure of that.

Thor can be wise, but also hot-headed and rash. He's also succumbed to subtle mind twisting from people like Loreli before. Then again, he couldn't help but notice the similarity to the Ring of Niebelungen (sp?) and might anticipate it being cursed.

There'd be very different outcomes depending on the specifics, and which of his strengths and weaknesses happenned to come to the fore.

Superherovandal
dude the only thing that can defeat Sauron's ring is Mt. Doom. If it was just weak magic don't you think that Gandalf would have tried to destroy it?

JediMasterLuke5
Sauron would get over runned by Thor, If you want a real battle how about Morgoth from LOTR VS Thor

Superherovandal
Morgoth would curbstomp Thor and so would Sauron. With his ring he is immortal and all powerful. Why do you think they were willing to give their lives to stop him from getting it?

JediMasterLuke5
All the ring does is give him the power to control the other rings and nothing else. Sauron probally would get killed By Gandalf the White if the Valar allowed him to use all his power.

guy smiley
Mount Doom has no magical attributes that I remember it's just the place where Sauron made the rings including the one ring. There wouldn't be much of a story if the ring were easily destroyed. But that being said i would also think if magical ability were able to destroy the ring then no one on middle Earth could do it, except maybe Tom Bombadil (the ring had no effect on him), because Sauron was the most powerful being alive at the time until Thor comes along wielding a weapon enchanted by Odin himself who, I would wager, registers a bit higher on the power meter then Sauron. I do agree however that he would probably have to smoke the bujeezus out of it or use his godblast.

Laminator_X
The fires of Orodruin were the only thing that the Wise were sure would destroy the One Ring. They didn't have a dragon handy to test the dragonfire theory. The Wizards could have destroyed it if they used their divine powers, but they were limited to earthly magics by the rules governing their mission.

The One does more than just control the others. It supercharges the might of whomever wields it, making even a Hobbit able to dominate a weak mind like Gollum. That's why Saruman coveted it. In a Wizard's hands he would rival Sauron's might.

The One Ring didn't make Sauron unstoppable though. Earlier in the Second Age the Numenorians had beaten him down and dragged him in chains back to their island. Destroying the One was the only hope at the end of the Third Age because the old bloodlines of the High Men had mostly faded and the great Elven armies had mostly gone into the West. Sauron was ready to overtake the Free Peoples by force of arms weather he had the Ring or not.

If they had someone like Thor at their disposal, they might have had other options.

EsteemedLeader
Thor would kick his ass. That power mace isn't a match for Thors hammer. And he got his finger cut off by a freaking mortal, what's up with that?

Laminator_X
Re: the other rings. Sauron didn't make them.

In disguise, he had taught Celbrimbor the Smith, an Noldo Elf of Erigion, how to make rings of power. Cebrimbor and the other Elf-smiths made the Three, Seven, and Nine thinking they were doing good thing, unaware that Sauron had woven a "back door" into the enchantments he had taught them. This trap was what allowed the One to have power over the others.

Sauron then fled to Mt. Doom and began to forge the One. By the time Celebrimbor caught up with him, he was just finishing up and spoke aloud the famous poem to seal the enchantment. Thus was everyone screwed.

joesha28

Jargon343
Originally posted by JediMasterLuke5
All the ring does is give him the power to control the other rings and nothing else. Sauron probally would get killed By Gandalf the White if the Valar allowed him to use all his power.

Nah, Gandalf speaks in awe of Saurons power in the book a few times. Even in the movie you can see this...'I dare not take the ring myself!' He knows he wouldn't be able to shake the enchantment.

Laminator_X
If Thor cast it away or destroyed it right off, I think he'd be OK. If he attemped to use the Ring or even just held on to it, he'd be screwed. Thor's succumbed to far less powerful curses than Sauron's before. If Thor's wisdom and experiences guide him, he'll be fine. If his pride and hubris prevail, so will Sauron.

joesha28
Sauron's mind games

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.