What's up with the botched prequel soundtracks?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ganner Rhysode
Now, I'm not saying the prequels had bad music. Oh, not at all, it was fantastic. What I AM saying, though, is that the soundtracks they're releasing are very... Not what I'd like. When they released the IV, V, and VI soundtracks, they were FULL soundtracks. Two discs, about 11-13 tracks each, that added up to EVERY song that was in the movie, in the order they appeared, and they clocked out to be just about as long as the movie's screen time.

Yet, with the prequels, we get these crappy one disc releases of some of the movies "major" themes, and many of the songs are cut down and shoved together with multiple other songs in the same track. I think this was a very poor decision, and I'm wondering if there's any plan on releasing full Episodes I, II, and II soundtracks.

Thoughts?

(I know I made this topic on the I-II board, but that board obviously gets far less traffic, so I'm reposting here in the hopes of getting some replys)

Bespin Bart
Most likely Georgie will release a better version of them. Haven't you seen the Ultimate Star Wars: Episode I soundtrack? II and III will likely follow.

kremzike
There might not be enough to fill up such large releases since they reused TPM music in AOTC and ROTS, but I would still like them to put out all the new music from 2 & 3. Especially 3.

darthmaul1
Where have you been? the original releases of EP IV V and VI soundtracks were not complete they were the same as the PT. I had EP V on LP and the mynoc cave and boba following the falcon after the garbage is dumped is not on it. just as long as they do not release something like the ultimate edition of EPI that sucked.

Sans_Fi

Ganner Rhysode
Yeah. John Williams did a lot of music for all three prequels, even if all of it wasn't used.

Also, the Episode IV, V, and VI soundtracks were, for the MOST part, complete. They may have been missing a track or two, but they were pretty full.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by darthmaul1
just as long as they do not release something like the ultimate edition of EPI that sucked.

Err thats exactly what Im hoping for because the Ultimate Edition was excellent IMHO.

Darth Jello
anther problem that i've mentioned before is that they are full digital digital digital transfers. if they were processed onto analog tape and made analog analog digital transfers onto dvd they would sound a lot warmer and generally more fluid.

JKozzy
Originally posted by Bespin Bart
Most likely Georgie will release a better version of them. Haven't you seen the Ultimate Star Wars: Episode I soundtrack? II and III will likely follow. Yes, but the Ultimate Edition of TPM's soundtrack came out before AOTC, I'm pretty sure... and the prequel trilogy is now finished.
Originally posted by darthmaul1
Where have you been? the original releases of EP IV V and VI soundtracks were not complete they were the same as the PT. I had EP V on LP and the mynoc cave and boba following the falcon after the garbage is dumped is not on it. just as long as they do not release something like the ultimate edition of EPI that sucked. Uh... that didn't suck. That's exactly how I want my Star Wars soundtrack.

Ganner Rhysode
And besides, the OT soundtracks were each 2 discs, about 15 or so tracks per disc.

The PT soundtracks were single discs, with maybe 12 tracks on the single disc.

Stun
easy solution - every track from every movie charting the begining to the end of the entire saga - in one neat packagesmile

Captain REX
Ugh, I would hate to pay for that, and then try to load it all into my computer...

Jedi Priestess
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

tlbauerle
Originally posted by JKozzy
Uh... that didn't suck. That's exactly how I want my Star Wars soundtrack.

Actually Kozz...the editing was pretty bad. There are a lot of fades through the whole thing. Whereas the SE discs had each cue isolated, so you had clean endings. That's the first thing that sucked about the UE.

Secondly, we didn't get to hear full takes. There were a lot of cues that were cut down or looped to sound just like the movie. JW fans want to hear the complete soundtrack without edits.

Third, there were no alternate takes. Instead we have the dialogue version of DOTF. Who needs that, really?

Last, there were no liner notes. Check out the booklets on the 1997 releases...that is awesome. UE just has stills from the movie. A waste in my opinion.

But it is an improvement over the other single disc releases. So it isn't terrible, its just not as good as it could have been, at least for audiophiles.

Captain REX
Actually, now that I think about it, I agree with tlbauerle. The UE is great, but it lacks the same feel (as well as the actual themes, its all just integrated!) as the OT '97 soundtracks. There are no themes, which greatly annoys me. I had to put both the Episode I soundtrack and the UE Episode I soundtrack on my computer to make it all complete!

tlbauerle
You've got to do a lot more to make it even near complete. There has been a large effort to collect much of the unreleased music out there and edit a much more definitive version...but that only holds us over until a nice retail arrives.

Joseph_Kerr
Ganner... the two disc sets were only released with the special edition version of films IV-VI. The original soundtrack were single discs (or lp's at the time if you want to get technical). The Phantom menace was put out as a single disc until they decided to put out the double disc set. AOTC double disc is complete, but Lucas informed Williams not to put it out. There is no explanation for the delay.

tlbauerle
The only reason the UE of TPM was put out was because there is so much unreleased music out there from video games that people were making their own bootleg expanded scores.

There wasn't much unreleased music from AOTC out there, so I wonder if that is why they delayed that release.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.