I need the best PS2/PSX games...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

General Kaliero
Way too late in the cycle, I'm celebrating a new excess of money by buying a PS2.

What are some of the best games I can buy for the PS2?

Current list of must-haves (In series I'm starting with the first game before considering buying the others):

God of War
Ratchet and Clank
Kingdom Hearts
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
Sly Cooper
Jak & Daxter
Final Fantasy (start with 10, then look for the others)

People who have owned a PS2 for years, I ask you: What high-quality, high-rated, absolutely awesome games need to be added to the list?

Genres I'm not interested in (meaning don't mention them!):
Sports
Wrestling
GTA
Racing (except a few games...)

nick1811
spiderman 2's a really good game

jaden101
san andreas is the must have for ps2

metal gear 3
gran turismo 4
pro evolution soccer 5
the conflict series (desert storm 2 and vietnam in particular)
killzone
area 51
devil may cry (any of them)

JKozzy
Revenge of the Sith really isn't a "must-have" game... though I recommend for FF, start with 7 and work your way up. Trust me on that, it's just easier if you're stubburn with graphics, plus the movie sequel to 7 will be out in November in the US, so hurry and finish that so you'll understand it wink

General Kaliero
RotS is a must-have in the sense that I, desiring SW stuff, "must have" it. wink

And don't worry, I'll be starting FF7 as soon as I find it. stick out tongue

Red Superfly

General Kaliero
Burnout - forgot about that. *adds to list*
Final Fantasy - Same thoughts I had. And considering I have played the first six... only 7 and 10 are left.
Resident Evil - Have 4 on GCN and picked up the remake of the first on the GCN already. Nice price, and it's prettier.
Psychonauts - forgot that too! Thanks.
Prince of Persia - have it on GCN. (still play it, too wink)
...Holy crap, how could I forget Ico!? *adds to list*

Barker
RS. Your Sig. Omg. laughing

Kumar
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Way too late in the cycle, I'm celebrating a new excess of money by buying a PS2.

What are some of the best games I can buy for the PS2?

Current list of must-haves (In series I'm starting with the first game before considering buying the others):

God of War
Ratchet and Clank
Kingdom Hearts
Sly Cooper
Jak & Daxter
Final Fantasy (start with 10, then look for the others)

People who have owned a PS2 for years, I ask you: What high-quality, high-rated, absolutely awesome games need to be added to the list?

Genres I'm not interested in (meaning don't mention them!):
Sports
Wrestling
GTA
Racing (except a few games...)

those are some good choices but you are leaving out one Key element (unless you have it for computer): Star Wars Battlefront

a lot of replay value. great game, period.

feralboy
if you st want to go old school try mega sonic. it has all his old games,comic covers,how to drawthem,ect. other than that try devil may cry

Red Superfly
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Burnout - forgot about that. *adds to list*
Final Fantasy - Same thoughts I had. And considering I have played the first six... only 7 and 10 are left.
Resident Evil - Have 4 on GCN and picked up the remake of the first on the GCN already. Nice price, and it's prettier.
Psychonauts - forgot that too! Thanks.
Prince of Persia - have it on GCN. (still play it, too wink)
...Holy crap, how could I forget Ico!? *adds to list*

Ah didn't know you had a Gamecube. I have REmake and Resi 4 on mine too. I love REmake., and Resi 4 I've played about 3 times through now.

Can't wait for Final Fantasy 12 (cannot care less for 11) and Shadow Of The Colossus.

Next GC game will be Zelda too. Funny how all 3 games I'm waiting for are epic adventurey games.

General Kaliero
Yeh, those same three (Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Final Fantasy XII, and Shadow of the Colossus) are at the top of my awaited RPGs list.

Revised list:

God of War
Ratchet and Clank
Kingdom Hearts
Sly Cooper
Jak & Daxter
Final Fantasy VII & X
Metal Gear Solid
Burnout
Psychonauts
Ico

Reminder: I'll accept suggestions of PSX games, btw. As long as they are great games, it doesn't really matter how they look.

Red Superfly
I'd honestly rent Revenge Of The Sith - comparred to the others on that list you have there, it's utter garbage.

I'd change Revenge Of The Sith for Battlefront 2 if you really need a Star Wars game. Hell even Lego Star Wars was ten times better than Revenge Of The Sith. If its a decent scrolling beat-em up type thing you're looking for, I'd suggest Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks or keep an eye on The Warriors and wait for that.

Just a word of warning. Revenge Of The Sith looks like brilliant fun, so I rented it, and I honestly wish I didn't bother even doing that. It's unresponsive, dull, formulaic, glitchy, cheap, and even though the graphics appear quite decent, they're actually terrible. Textures are bland, plastic looks like skin, skin looks like plastic, metal looks like wood etc (no shaders). You press two buttons and your character goes into this crazy hyperactive animation. You can tell they spent all their time on the move animations without actually thinking how to fully use them. Most of them are useless too. It's essentially an average PS1 game on PS2. It's short and has no replay value at all.

Deathblow
I have very few PS2 games, but the ones I have I really enjoyed playing.

Tekken Tag Tournament
Soul Calibur II
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
SSX
GTA: San Andreas
Tony Hawk's Underground
Silent Hill 2

Red Superfly
Yes Silent Hill - there's another one.
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 is the best Tony Hawks, and probably dirt cheap now.

jaden101
Originally posted by Red Superfly

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 is the best Tony Hawks, and probably dirt cheap now.

i agree...great game...and rodney mullens video is un-fecking-believable

General Kaliero
I have to laugh at everyone nay-saying RotS. Considering that about 85% of the games I play will be from GameFly anyway.

I'll only be buying those games that are thousand-hour RPGs (okay, a LITTLE exaggeration there) and those that I like enough to replay several times.

*adds SSX, Silent Hill and THPS3 to list*

I've played the PS2 version of Soul Calibur II, and Heihachi just ain't as good as Link. I'll be rooting up the previous Soul Calibur/Blade games, though, if only for nostalgia.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.