Assasin droids: Bad for the Star Wars economy?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Spelljammer
Am I the only one who actually stopped to think about this? It's been bothering me for some time..

Bounty hunters are payed large sums of credits to kill people.

Assasin droids are desgined to kill people.

Therfore, doesn't the construction of assasin droids diminish the point of there being bounty hunters and very possibly soldiers in a given army? Wouldn't assassin droids make a sinkhole in the economy and put alot of people out of work?

Tangible God
Assasin droids are ORDERED to kill someone. So that person who owns them is the bounty hunter and makes the money.

Fishy
No...

Assassins droids by all means are hard if not almost impossible to make, probably cost a shit load of money and then you will probably still have a bad one. Besides most droids can not think like humans and will probably not be as good as assassins as a normal human.

You need a damn good droid to be a good bounty hunter. So really good assassin droids are rare and hard to find and if you can find or build one then you are one lucky bastard. So really its just to much work and it costs to much to create a droid like that. So really its something so rare that it could hardly hurt the economy.

And if it was more common then yeah well it would cost a few bounty hunters their job. But on the other hand droids probably wouldn't be trusted anymore so they could take over the jobs the droids use to have.

Ushgarak
Yup, fair point. Assassin droids kill to order- what economy difference does that make? You'd still have to pay to either create or own one, and a decent one would presumably cost a fortune.

Unless a droid turns bounty hunter, in which case it... it still makes no difference.

Trickster
How clever are the droids, though? No doubt it takes a human mind to organise which droid will do what.

Fishy
Originally posted by Trickster
How clever are the droids, though? No doubt it takes a human mind to organise which droid will do what.

Hardly, take a look at HK for instance.. Got an order and did completed it in a way he saw fit.

Tengu Man
but what about IG-88, mass production of those (impossible) would be like the matrix, also considering the jedi knights arent around. wink

but on the subject of him i think he went rogue on his creator, and killed him and then did his own thing, of course why would an assasain droid need money? of course im probably wrong about him, only rumors.

Orestes
Typical assassin droids could never match what a living bounty hunter could become capable of. The only real exception to that is a droid that becomes self-aware and then kind of becomes a badass in its own right, capable of exceeding its original programming. You know, like R2 ... or like T3 and HK from KOTOR.

But then a self-aware assassin droid might, you know, prefer to keep the bounty for itself. And then whom does it benefit, other than itself? wink

Tengu Man
i dont think bounty hunters have to worry about droids. actual creatures get better with experience and become more skilled while droids become outdated and need to be replaced, which also reuqires a shitload of money, have you guys played galaxies, cost a fortune just to get a decent R2 droid

Darth Traya
Originally posted by Trickster

Comeone, HK exterminated about 350 people in a single year. Hardly the work of a droid which had to be given precise instructions.

Deus Ex
INdeed, HK-50 models were very efficient, too. Peragus is a shining example of creative thinking by the droids.

Tru_Slice
Okay. Suddenly you guys have the thought that robots go rouge. lemme emphisize this point:

If you built them frikn' good enough, they wouldn't turn on you.

Since when does a robot take over itself?

Does a virus come up from his arse and overwritwrite his programming or something?

Tengu Man
good question, ask the writers not us.

Deus Ex
Actually, building assassin droids that are sentient enough to go rogue is easier to do than those who can't. A droid that can't make autonomous decisions isn't a very effective killing machine in a neutral or hostile setting.

Tru_Slice
All of those movies where they show robots going rouge, (Terminator, I Robot, Star Wars,...Bicentennial Man) that's just worst-case scenario, people.

In real life, robots are good. Thanks to Issac Asimov, they now are all trusted beings, and are all employed at the GM car manufacturing plants.

Fishy
Originally posted by Deus Ex
Actually, building assassin droids that are sentient enough to go rogue is easier to do than those who can't. A droid that can't make autonomous decisions isn't a very effective killing machine in a neutral or hostile setting.

I can't think of many droids if any more effecient then HK and HK couldn't go rogue. He just couldn't disobey orders, it were just the people that gave bad orders. Thats what made HK kill so many masters.

On the HK-50 they are smart and creative, but its pretty clear that they aren't as skilled as HK-47.

Orestes
Anyway, I agree that if the droid isn't creative and autonomous enough to go rogue, then it's not any real competition for other bounty hunters. If it IS that creative and autonomous, then guess what? It may very well become self-serving. Then it's just another bounty hunter itself ... albiet a metal one rather than a flesh one.

So it all sort of works itself out in the end. wink

Deus Ex
Yup.

Tru_Slice
ARE ALL OF MANKIND'S CREATIONS DESTINED TO TURN ON THEM?!?!?!

Okay. fine. I'm not getting into the robot thing in the near-future. The next blender I buy is probably gonna eat all of my food. But don't say I didn't warn you.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.