Ethernet/Telephone Cords

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

powerfulone1987
For those of you out there that play online games with your PS2, what type cord do you use and what length is it?

I know they recommend 10ft. or less.

I was trying to get online with a cord way longer than that and it kept disconnecting so I went out today and got a 14ft. one. Was the shortest one I could find.
So I hope that works when I try it tomorrow.

DarkC
You always buy cords longer than you think you'll need.

SaTsuJiN
I honestly dont think length should be an issue hehe.

powerfulone1987
Well they say that the signal can get lost in long length cords.

Well I tried it and it still doesn't work.

When I first tried it with the longer cord, it connected me to the network, then to the EA server and I got in the lobby part of the game. Then when I entered into the part where you are picking a character and about to play against another opponent it would disconnect every time.

So I tried the next day and it wouldn't even get that far anymore. It would connect with the network, and authenticate my DNAS thing, but would mess up at the EA server connection part. It wouldn't connect.

So I went and got the 14 ft cord and it did the same thing, so maybe I bought another cord for nothing, I just don't know.

So I call the AOL online gaming thing for help and this man comes on who is obviously from a different country cause I can hardly understand him.

He could hardly think of the word "playstation". So first he asks me my name so he can verify who I am and I am like that's unnecessary cause I don't want to get into all of that account stuff, I just want help on connecting online with my PS2 and you don't need to verify who I am to help me do that. Beleieve me, this is the beginning of Hell.So he starts to walk me through possible solutions. He tells me to cut my ps2 on and go into browser then hit enter,(which after this point I just clicked enter on my memory card cause there is no disc in) then he says there should be a memory card icon at the top left corner and to click on that(which there wasn't because I have already clicked on the memory and am in my game save section) and then to click enter again(which tells me nothing because I have a million games in my memory card section and he just tells me to click enter) I say just click into any one of my saved games information and he says yes. So I do so and guess what he says. "There should be an option to delete,PRESS IT". I am like what the crap. You want me to delete my gaming information. He said yes. So we had this little bout for about 3 mins, which was a long time, I am asking him does he know what a memory card is and he is still insisting that I press delete.
So I finally knock some since into him and then he tells me "oh it says to go into your system network configuration delete that". God I was pissed, here he is trying to get me to delete my precious game data and keeps trying to act like he's right and in the end he's wrong. Now what if it was a young less knowing person he was talking to. Once they popped their games in and discovered their info. was gone, they would be too discouraged to play their games again. They wouldn't know what had happened. But anyway, instead of doing that I just say yes and uh huh to everything as if I am following along, because after the little deleting incident, I am for nothing this arabian, or whatever he is, says. I was like first they blow up our buildings and now they want to delete our gaming information.
So he goes on to tell me to put in my Network Adaptor Configuration Disc. By now I have cut my ps2 off and pretending to be going along.I am hoping that he says something that will help me, because all he did was walk me through configuring my system all over again. Obviously I have already done this cause I got to the network on the game. But anyways all he does is tell me all of these things about configuration a network setting which I have already done. In the end I say I have already done all of this, my problem is just connecting to the EA server.
So a little more nonsense and he finally admits defeat, like he should of done a long time ago and just transfered me to an American that knew what the problem was.

So he puts me on hold and never returns.

I am pissed and I hang up after a long while.

I call back and another person answers and asks can they help me and I tell them that I was being helped already and was put on hole and not returned too and does he just want me to start all over with him, he says he's sorry about that and he would help me.

So I tell him and he says since I start having problems with connecting to the EA server that I should just call EA and to see what the problem is.

Now how simple was that.
I got more out of this guy in less than a minute than I got out of the Iraqi guy or whatever he is in about 10 minutes.

Ridiculous.

So I will be calling the EA people tomorrow and hopefully find a solution to my problem and finally get connected. I have still never be online with a gaming console and as soon as a game comes out that I want to get online with, I go out and buy the adaptor and get everything hooked up and it doesn't work.
It seems as if I am just not destined to experience the world of online gaming.
Hopefully EA has the long awaited solution to my problem.

forumcrew
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I honestly dont think length should be an issue hehe.

im on a 50 ft ethernet cord.. it doesnt matter at all thats bs

powerfulone1987
Well I wish I had known this before I went and wasted my money.

Thanks a lot guys.

A little late, yeah.

hotsauce6548
I would suggest screwing PS2 online, and picking up Xbox Live. cool

Zen2nd
yeah you should get an Xbox. I'm telling you its very easy to connect online on an Xbox. Or wait till the 360 comes out and get one of those as you won't even need a credit card then to go online. Plus with all Xbox games you can use the headset to talk to other people.

powerfulone1987
I don't need a credit card to get online with my ps2 either. What are you talking about?

I don't see the point in getting a Xbox when the Xbox360 is coming out so soon. I plan to get a Xbox360.

So easy is it to connect with the Xbox? And what this credit card thing you're talking about? And does all the stuff you need to connect the Xbox360 online come with it in the box? If not what do you need to connect?

Zen2nd
If you buy the premium Xbox 360 pack you will have all you need to get online. Microsoft this time have decided you won't need a credit card to go online but the way you do it know is that buy a Golden membership(a card with a code on it) in any games stores which costs around $50 for a years play.

With this you are able to play online, download demos, movie previews, music previews and other things they haven't revealed.

With Silver membership, which is free you only get your stats recorded.

powerfulone1987
Do you get online play with the Silver membership?

Which membership would you recommend?

How much is the Premium Package?

MarioX
Why wouldnt you? Yeah pay for a live membership but it wont let you play online... wtf point is that.

And the title of the thread... ethernet and telephone cords are COMPLETELY different... not sure why you compare, either you have broadband or you have dialup, u dont mix the cords.

And if u think cords for ur ps2 are the problem... well.. i wont say what i wanna... but i use a 50 ft cord and dont have a problem... maybe check, you know, the settings on your ps2? Yeah. That might help... not whining about lies you were told about the length of cords.

El_NINO
If your using a regualr Etherenet cord, then length should not matter because you can use it up to 150m then you need a repeater.

Tru_Slice
Playstation 2 is like a computer, not a game system. Treat it like such.

Zen2nd
Gold membersip = online play, plus extras like movie previews, games demos, downloads etc.

Silver membership = free. unable to play online. Basicly records all the stats off all your games and they are presented online. I'm still unclear of the limits.

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by MarioX
Why wouldnt you? Yeah pay for a live membership but it wont let you play online... wtf point is that.

And the title of the thread... ethernet and telephone cords are COMPLETELY different... not sure why you compare, either you have broadband or you have dialup, u dont mix the cords.

And if u think cords for ur ps2 are the problem... well.. i wont say what i wanna... but i use a 50 ft cord and dont have a problem... maybe check, you know, the settings on your ps2? Yeah. That might help... not whining about lies you were told about the length of cords.

What's all this for?

I'm not whining, I am just asking a question, and I greatly appreciate the feeback that I have gotten so far. So your comment was not needed.

And while you are being sarcastic about the Silver Membership, I don't own an Xbox and am not knowledgable in the onine aspects of it, nor the Xbox360 for that matter. And it seems as if you are not as smart as you think you are because as Zen2nd states above. The Silvermembership doesn't have online capability. So my question was dumb after all.

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by MarioX

And if u think cords for ur ps2 are the problem... well.. i wont say what i wanna... but i use a 50 ft cord and dont have a problem... maybe check, you know, the settings on your ps2? Yeah. That might help... not whining about lies you were told about the length of cords. What's all this for?

I'm not whining, I am just asking a question, and I greatly appreciate the feeback that I have gotten so far. So your comment was not needed.

And while you are being sarcastic about the Silver Membership, I don't own an Xbox and am not knowledgable in the online aspects of it, nor the Xbox360 for that matter. And it seems as if you are not as smart as you think you are because as Zen2nd states above. The Silvermembership doesn't have online capability. So my question wasn't dumb after all.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.