Space battles?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mstr GEKA
Just wondering... Which battle delivered the bigest adrenaline rush out of these six...

I still feel like the ones in ANH and ROTJ were more exiting than the one in ROTS.

IMHO

Sir Mist
ROTJ thumb up

DeVi| D0do
ANH owns all.

But it looks shit now with the mixing of CG and old models... That would be something I'd be happy for them to fix. Don't change the action, just make the models more realistic and more detailed.

Sir Mist
I like all the voices and stuff in the older movies when they're talking over the comm, sounds funny, in a cool way big grin

And they need to fix those damn explosions...god...they STINKsick

Sir Mist
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/noobbasher/explode1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/noobbasher/explode2.jpg

One of them is pinkno expression

How do you not fix that?no expression

Ushgarak
Yup, ANH trench sequence still the best for me, though ROTS obviously wins the spectacle award.

Sir Nauj
I loved the opening battle

Jedi Priestess
ANH, I didnt care for the one in ROTS. Tooooo busy for me.

chinabing
I like the model-era trench battle. The cg redux of that battle lost all the heart of the original. CG battles generally look too clean and perfect, plus all the perfect pans make it feel like your watching a computer screen. I am thankful I still have the VHS (and laserdisk-to-DVD copy) of the original battle!

Ep IV's battle also rates high because it was the movie's climax. The asteroid chase in Empire was fantastic, my jaw dropped many times when I first saw it. Also loved Menace's space battle, plus it had Artoo & Anakin's familiar bickering!

Dan Skywalker
The Battle Of Endor is def the best battle, massive fleets, impossiable odds, and a great ending

Admiral Akbar
OT are poorly animated, PT space battles are not so great either, so I would have to say the Clone Wars.

Ushgarak
Never went a bundle on Endor. No soul to it.

Alkaselzer
ANH Death Star, hands down. If I can come up with a good reason, I will post it...

masterkit
i basically like them all, but Ep. I had the cheesiest stuff thanks to Horrible Actor Jake Lloyd

((The_Anomaly))
for me its the battle of endor for sure. its the most exciting.

Captain REX
Originally posted by masterkit
i basically like them all, but Ep. I had the cheesiest stuff thanks to Horrible Actor Jake Lloyd

He's a kid, what'd you expect?

NinthSith
ROTJ hands down had the most action,you can beat the way the camera is sweeping around all those ships.ROTS was just a visual effect that spent way to much time on those lame ass buzz droids.The Star Destroyer's looked alot better in ROTJ then anything did in the ROTS battle and Jedi is 30 years older.

The problem with CGI is that video games are going to look better then it in the very near future,where as models will always be handcrafted pieces of art that are timeless(not an animated video cartoon.

wookie_pimp
ROTJ is by far the best space battle.

ROTS opening battle is too short and you only follow Ani and Obi

Ushgarak
I am surprised at popel liking ROTJ. Always seemed very limp to me.

The very fact that ROTS follows Anakin and Obi makes it better. ROTJ was formless and souless- and also rather silly, with the Imperial fleet apparently losing, with only the Death Star really firing back.

And the scale is really rather small, for something that SHOULD have been much larger.

Tangible God
ROTJ all the way, dunno why really. Just the detail and the confusion in the scenes, all in what appears to be that tiny little space in the remotest part of the galaxy, yet it will change the face of it forever.

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I am surprised at popel liking ROTJ. Always seemed very limp to me.

The very fact that ROTS follows Anakin and Obi makes it better. ROTJ was formless and souless- and also rather silly, with the Imperial fleet apparently losing, with only the Death Star really firing back.

And the scale is really rather small, for something that SHOULD have been much larger.
I agree. It should have been a much larger battle... and simply the fact that they're fighting the Death Star again is stupid.

But I do love that battle. More so than the ROTS one. I actually feel the complete opposite to you... it is the ROTS battle I feel is lacking in soul. At least in the ROTJ battle we know what our heroes are fighting for... we know what's at stake... I didn't really feel that in ROTS. And Hayden really annoys me.

Tangible God
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
I agree. It should have been a much larger battle... and simply the fact that they're fighting the Death Star again is stupid.

But I do love that battle. More so than the ROTS one. I actually feel the complete opposite to you... it is the ROTS battle I feel is lacking in soul. At least in the ROTJ battle we know what our heroes are fighting for... we know what's at stake... I didn't really feel that in ROTS. And Hayden really annoys me. Total ditto.

Mstr GEKA
Amaze to see that ROTS won the poll... I still remember building a x-wing cockpit with my pillows and watch the final attack in ANH as if I was in... It might be the age...

Ushgarak
Nah, the reason is far simpler. The PT only has ROTS as a decent space battle, whilst any OT vote is split between ANH and ROTJ.

So although it is kinda to do with age, as younger people are more likely to vote for the PT, it's really down to ROTS having no competition in the modern era.

Tangible God
That makes sense.

Red Superfly
A New Hope.

If there's one thing that I'd love to see, is the space battle fully redone. The potential is there. The fly-bys of the huge X-Wing fleet, taking off, opening their wings on the approach, certain dog fights above the surface of the death star have been done up too - absolutely brilliant.

Then it cuts to crap old footage during the actual trench run. Some shot still work. The inner cockpits and some fly-into shots are still fine and retain that iconic feel that CG wouldn't be able to replicate. But theres still a few shots - Darth Vaders ship flanked by two TIE fighters looks rigid and crappy. There's a bit where an X-Wing blows up a defelction tower - with electricity coursing through it before it blows - it's possibly the worst effects shot in the entire saga.

And after all that, it's still the best.

ROTJ has the best looking space battle. Huge grand scale, epic outcomes, but it lacked that all-or-nothing threat of ANH. The Death Star wasn't getting ready to destroy the entire fleet, as the Empire was already lost before they even blew it up, unlike ANH where everything counted up to the last second. Still awesome.

ROTS was just an opening battle. Awesome fly bys but then it got stupid with those buzzdroids and the cartoon comedy R2 moments.

Sith Master X
ROTS space battle. No contest in my opinion.

Tangible God
Then that's only one opinion.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Red Superfly
A New Hope.

If there's one thing that I'd love to see, is the space battle fully redone. The potential is there. The fly-bys of the huge X-Wing fleet, taking off, opening their wings on the approach, certain dog fights above the surface of the death star have been done up too - absolutely brilliant.

Then it cuts to crap old footage during the actual trench run. Some shot still work. The inner cockpits and some fly-into shots are still fine and retain that iconic feel that CG wouldn't be able to replicate. But theres still a few shots - Darth Vaders ship flanked by two TIE fighters looks rigid and crappy. There's a bit where an X-Wing blows up a defelction tower - with electricity coursing through it before it blows - it's possibly the worst effects shot in the entire saga.

And after all that, it's still the best.

ROTJ has the best looking space battle. Huge grand scale, epic outcomes, but it lacked that all-or-nothing threat of ANH. The Death Star wasn't getting ready to destroy the entire fleet, as the Empire was already lost before they even blew it up, unlike ANH where everything counted up to the last second. Still awesome.

ROTS was just an opening battle. Awesome fly bys but then it got stupid with those buzzdroids and the cartoon comedy R2 moments. No all-or-nothing in ROTJ? The entire rebel fleet was cut off from escape, their lives were at sake, the entire galaxy was at stake, all in that one battle. It matched the suspension of ANH if you analyze it. It only feels like more in ANH because every 2 minutes we havea shot of Tarkin looking as the Death Star gets closer to Yavin.

But there still was an incredible amount of "do-or-die" in ROTJ.

Sith Master X
Originally posted by Tangible God
Then that's only one opinion.

Um, thats exactly why I said "my opinion." Didn't say I was right.

Tangible God
Usually when people say, "no contest" in their opinion or not, they tend to believe that they are right, and every else is wrong. I've seen that too many times.

Lord J
well i dont care what others think i like the ROTS opening battle the most

DARTH DADDY
The one thing I haven't heard anyone talking about is the color in ROTS. I was impressed by all the color that was used in the space battle. From the greens to the blues, to whatever was used. It seemed more colorful then all of the other ones.

I would say that during some shots in ROTS you do get the feeling of size, but not to the amount of ROTJ. I do like that in ANH you do get more people involved, where as in ROTS(like it has been said already) it only follows the two main Jedi. I did think it was a little short too. With all the grand scale of the opening, 30-45 seconds, then to go and only follow our heros into the hanger bay.

DeVi| D0do
It's because we don't care about the others... There are millions of clone pilots, losing a few of 'em wont hurt. That's why it doesn't focus on them, because we don't care. We only care about Obi and Ani.

But in ANH and ROTJ we do care about the pilots because we know what they're up against and how small their odds are of winning and how much the battles mean.

overlord
Although it is Star Wars.. I don't even really like the space battles.. I only like the ground battles and the.. lightsaber battles.. I'm such a noob... cry

Anyway, to be original I picked... The trench run!!! YIEEHAAAH!!!
But I do like only that one.. All the others seemed like futile attempts to copy this scene! mad2

DARTH DADDY
Just because they are clones doesn't mean there weren't any good fight scenes with them, or other Jedi that were in the mix. Why not follow a few others as they are in dog fights of their own, and then flip back to the fight scenes on board the ship. I think that would have been good to show there was a battle still going on outside of that one ship. Also to show how the clones and the other Jedi won the space battle. They never do really go into what happened in space after the ship crashed, just that GG escaped.

DeVi| D0do
Well, like I said, we don't care about the clones, it doesn't matter to us if they die. And that whole opening seqeunce is long enough as it is... any longer and it would become tedious.

DARTH DADDY
Who is we? Sounds like your talking for more then one person. But like everyone here, you have your opinion, and your alter ego has his too.

DeVi| D0do
Uhh, okay then...

Ushgarak
The Imperial fleet and opposition was damn useless in ROTJ. I don't care about the apparent threat when only the Death Star seems to be able to fire back and the good guys can wipe out hundreds of enemy fighters and even take down Star Destroyers; the whole Imperial effort felt so very very crappy, and then the fact that the apparently unbeatable Imperial Fleet was still up there after the DS was destroyed was never addressed.

The whole way the ROTJ battle panned out was also damn obvious. There wasn't a snip of tension in it at all.

ANH was different. The opposition was worthy of consideration, the set-up was perfect, and the escalating drama was done right in every way- pacing, direction, music, timing.

I also didn't give any more of a crap for those irrelevant Rebel pilots in ROTJ than I do about the Clones in ROTS. Ok, I cared about Wedge and Lando (just) but then I cared about Obi-Wan and Anakin in ROTS.

In ANH, ALL the rebel pilots had a personality worth consideration. Nothing else ever actually felt quite so engaging.

All ROTJ had was scale and spectacle, and there it was trounced by ROTS.

DeVi| D0do
Good points. I agree for the most part...

But I still say ROTJ was much more exciting than ROTS. If only for Lando. He gives it a personal touch. The ROTS OSB felt so choreographed, so unreal. And then you have the cutesy little buzz droids.

But ANH owns all.

DARTH DADDY
Yeah, I think I'd have to agree after another look. ANH has probably over all the best space battle. It would be great if they could take the bits and pieces of all of them and make this monster of a scene. I think that would be cool. Maybe someone can make that a project of theirs and create one.

darthvader_fan
ya

Canadadude
ROTJ Space battle is the best by far. It had so much emotion and it is filmed perfectly. I love how it starts with the fleet coming out of hyperspace and Lando asks for all fighters to check in. John William's music score for the battle is also perfect. I love the relationship between Lando and Ackbar in that battle. Once Ackbar sees the Death Star is fully operational, he gives up all hope and wants to retreat. It is Lando who basically tells Ackbar to F#*% off and hold out at all cost to give Han more time. That is the difference between the OT and PT. The PT did not have any emotional relationships between the characters.

Tangible God
Originally posted by DARTH DADDY
Who is we? Sounds like your talking for more then one person. But like everyone here, you have your opinion, and your alter ego has his too. No, he's right, noone gives a rat's ass if a clone dies. Not even the Jedi apparently. You watch the Clone Wars and in one episode, they're running from Grievous and these really flexible droids and there's two clones with 'em, the clones mention while they're running that there transmittor isn't working. The lead Jedi says something and the Jedi jump over the two "Jedi-like droids" blocking their path. But the clones can't jump that high and end up getting whacked over the side of the 3 km high platform.

And what do the Jedi do? They don't even stop or turn their heads.

Noone cares if a clone snuffs it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.