First ROTS DVD review!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sasa
http://www.dvdtown.com/review/starwarsepisodeiiirevengeofthe/16543/3172/

I just copy the extras, it seems that there are only 6 deleted scenes, kind of bump, but still looking foward to buy it! smile

Extras:
As always, Fox and Lucasfilm offer the movie in a special-edition, two-disc set. Disc one contains the feature film; a generous fifty scene selections, plus a chapter insert; English, French, and Spanish spoken languages; and English subtitles. As with the other "Star Wars" DVDs, you get a different group of menu-screen graphics each time you boot up the disc. In addition to simply watching the movie, you can hear an audio commentary by director Lucas, producer Rick McCallum, animation director Rob Coleman, and visual effects supervisors John Knoll and Roger Guyett. Because this is a team effort, we get more information than usual, but unlike many other team commentaries, this time the participants don't try to be cute, clown around, or one-up each other. Lucas explains more of his philosophy behind the movies, saying that the six installments in the series should be thought of one long movie focusing on the tragedy of Darth Vader. Meanwhile, the other men comment on various technical aspects of the filmmaking. For instance, they note that the big lava sequence at the end was filmed using computer graphics, miniatures, and a real volcano. By coincidence, Mt. Etna in Italy erupted at the time of filming, and Lucas sent a team of photographers there to capture the explosions. Fascinating stuff.

Now, what do you mean are there Easter eggs? Of course, there are Easter eggs, one of the cleverest being a specially animated scene with Master Yoda getting down and boogying to hip-hop music. You should find the eggs for yourself or you miss their value, but DVD Town publishes clues from time to time.

Among the hallmarks of the "Star Wars" DVD sets are their celebrated documentaries, and disc two of "Sith" makes a two-hour doc the centerpiece of its many extras. This time out, Lucas decided to give credit to all of the many craftspeople who work behind the scenes to produce the tiniest bit of film. The documentary is called "Within a Minute" because it takes you through the multitude of talent necessary to produce even a minute of footage. Watch this one in its entirety for an explanation of what all those folks in the closing credits actually do to make a movie work. Additionally, there are two featurettes of eleven and fourteen minutes each: "It's all for Real: The Stunts of Episode III" and "The Chosen One," an examination of "connecting the dots," as Lucas puts it. This second featurette follows Anakin's progress from hero to Vader to "the pinnacle of all evil."

Next up, we have six widescreen deleted scenes with optional introductions by Lucas and MacCallum. They include "Grievous Slaughters a Jedi" and "Escape from the General"; "A Stirring in the Senate"; "Seeds of Rebellion"; "Confronting the Chancellor"; "A Plot to Destroy the Jedi?" and "Exiled to Dagobah." This latter scene is particularly touching.

Following the deleted scenes are a music video, "A Hero Falls," by John Williams; a nostalgia teaser; an epic trailer; and over a dozen TV spots. After that are fifteen Web documentaries of four-to-eight minutes each, covering every aspect of the filmmaking process you can think of related to the six "Star Wars" movies. I wish there were a "Play All" function, though, but I couldn't find one.

Lastly, there is a section for production photos, with text notes; one-sheet posters and various other print campaigns; a playable demo of two levels of the Xbox "Star Wars Battlefront II" video game, complete with its own trailer; a "Star Wars Empire at War" game trailer; and a DVD-ROM Web link to further "Star Wars" materials.

As a side note, to help publicize the release of "Sith," George Lucas graciously opened the doors of his Skywalker Ranch to the press, and I had the opportunity to attend. The highlight of a full day of activities was the appearance of several of the stars and filmmakers for a lengthy question-and-answer session. Actors Hayden Christensen, Ian McDiarmid, and Frank Oz were in attendance, as was producer Rick McCallum and others. They were all of them most cordial with their time and responses, providing a good deal of personal feedback not contained in the documentaries. Just a couple of notes: McCallum said there would be no VHS release of "Sith" because the market just wasn't there anymore for tape, but that there would definitely be a high-definition transfer in the foreseeable future. He also mentioned that Lucas was finishing up a script for the new Indiana Jones movie, so that project seems finally on track. Oh, and there will never, ever, be a CGI Yoda replacing the puppet Yoda in the early "Star Wars" movies. The audience seemed relieved by this news. Finally, in the opening space-combat scene, keep an eye out for the kitchen sink. Lucas told the animators he wanted everything thrown in, "including the kitchen sink," so the animators took him at his word.

Parting Thoughts:
In the end, I enjoyed Episode III, "Revenge of the Sith," more than Episodes I or II, but it hardly compares to Episodes IV and V in the original trilogy. Part of this is nostalgia, naturally. But most of it is Lucas. In Episode I he created a kind of comedic kiddie cartoon for children, complete with cartoony computer creatures. This seemed appropriate since the main character was a child. In Episode II he created his intergalactic version of a chick flick, an outer-space romantic adventure. Again, this seemed fitting as Anakin was now a young adult; and, after all, the filmmaker had to explain Luke and Leia's eventual entrance into the series.

In "Revenge of the Sith" Lucas created the out-and-out tragedy we were all waiting for. Anakin's fatal flaw, his selfishness from which the Sith draw their power, leads him to his downfall. Padme dies in childbirth. Obi-Wan and Yoda go into semiretirement. The baby Leia is taken away by Jimmy Smits to be raised in secret. And baby Luke is whisked off to live in the farthest reaches of the galaxy: Modesto.

They are Lucas's movies. He has every right to tell them any way he chooses. And we have every right to criticize. Seems fair enough.

DeVi| D0do
This DVD is looking disappoitning... but that was to be expected. Ah well.

Austral_jedi
only 6 deleted scenes...... nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! (vader style)

Sir Mist
"one of the cleverest being a specially animated scene with Master Yoda getting down and boogying to hip-hop music."

no expression

Can you just imagine Yoda getting pimped up and dancing to 50 Cent?

No......just no....no expression

darthmaul1
Were any of the Deleted scenes reincorpirated?

DARTH DADDY
IMHO, I really like the commentary during the movie. I have found you really get to see and hear what they were thinking when they were writing it, or when they were trying to get a point across. Only 6 deleted scenes, oh well. The only thing I wish is if he could have put them back into the movie, or at least a version of the full movie. At least the one with Yoda landing on Dagobah would have been really nice to see.

ShadowKing
eerHe didn't re-edit? Aaaargh! I think all new directors should follow Peter Jackson's lead on how to release a DVD...add footage as needed, recut for clarity if necessary, and take care of all the little things you wanted to take care of but didn't have time for because of release date constraints.

Ah hell, I'll still spend my $15 for it.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by ShadowKing
eerHe didn't re-edit? Aaaargh! I think all new directors should follow Peter Jackson's lead on how to release a DVD...add footage as needed, recut for clarity if necessary, and take care of all the little things you wanted to take care of but didn't have time for because of release date constraints.

lucas has no money/time constraints.

He financed the film himself, and it was finished a month before its release

darthmaul1
They should atleast reincorporate the dagobah scene

Nactous
Yep.

roughrider
Originally posted by ShadowKing

Some might say Peter Jackson found it hard to say no. His extended editions got longer, and longer, and longer...
Just think. The running time of the six Star Wars is only A LITTLE BIT longer than Jackson's three extended LOTR films.

((The_Anomaly))
at least dagobah will be on it...

JKozzy
If you want it re-incorporated, do it yourself. It's not hard.

Sith Master X
Some of you people complain too much. Just relax. So what if there's a little Yoda boggie easter egg. It's just for fun/entertainment/enjoyment, something alot of you should try to experience by not being so damn fussy.

HAROLD
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
This DVD is looking disappoitning... but that was to be expected. Ah well. How is that to be expected?

DeVi| D0do
Because nothing can beat "The Beginning" documentary on the Episode I DVD. And the deleted scenes and doco's on the Episode II DVD sucked major arse.

Boris
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Because nothing can beat "The Beginning" documentary on the Episode I DVD.
I agree, that was a brilliant documentary.

Anakin2Vader
Next up, we have six widescreen deleted scenes with optional introductions by Lucas and MacCallum. They include 1) "Grievous Slaughters a Jedi" and 2) "Escape from the General"; 3) "A Stirring in the Senate"; 4) "Seeds of Rebellion"; 5) "Confronting the Chancellor"; 6) "A Plot to Destroy the Jedi?" and 7) "Exiled to Dagobah." This latter scene is particularly touching.

I counted seven but who knows.... glad to see the Yoda Dagobah scene will be included

OB1-adobe
Why do dvd movie reviewers always feel they have retell what happens in the movie and what it is about?

Everybody knows this already.

sasa
Another review from dvd.ign.com :

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/657/657410p1.html

9 out of 10 (overall)

6 The Movie

10 The Video

10 The Audio

10 The Extras

DarkC
They should add funny bloopers. I've always wanted to see Sidious drop his lightsaber and beat feet to the bathroom.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.