Who's the smartest?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Morgoths_Wrath

Alpha Centauri
Define intelligent.

-AC

soleran30
Mozart the man was a musical geniussmile

Julie
this is a rather tough choice...I dunno..I'm not smart enough to make a guess:-)

Morgoths_Wrath
intelligent:
1 a (1) : the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations : REASON; also : the skilled use of reason (2) : the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly as measured by objective criteria (as tests)

debbiejo
I think each was intellegent in a different way, though I picked Hawking.....diffenetly not Freud.

Julie
who's hawking?

Shakyamunison
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791)

Although not a scientist, his music is beyond what most humans can imagine.

Echuu
Ohhh Ohhh!!! Bill Gates!!! He's conned everyone into buying windows computers for the last 20 years!!! laughing out loud
(j/k I'm actually a windows fan)

I'm stuck between Albert Einstein, Aristotle, and Leonardo DaVinci.

Bardock42
Well I read that the most intelligent Famous Person ever was John Stuart Mill..second would be Goethe......

Those are surely smart people...outstanding on their fields...but not the most intelligent....

Fishy
Bill Gates, who else could take some software a friend made on a single disk into a multi billion dollar company that rules 80% of the computer world... I mean its brilliant.

Actually of all these people I wouldn't know who to vote for all had their things, For some reason i'm thinking of Da Vinci, I mean he was a brilliant painter and a brilliant scientist. But if he was trully more intelligent then the rest? I don't think you can say.

debbiejo
NO...I change my mind....I can do that you know....I say Albert Einstein...yep for sure. smart

But there are others that have continued in on Albert's work, which I just love.

Bardock42
Oh yeah..that'S true...DaVinci is one of the All-Rounders.....

Ulven
I'd say Newton

If any of you have had any physics, you know how much he has meant for science. I'm dazzeled over how many thing that chap managed to explain/understand.
If I had to chose from that list, I'd say he was the most "valuable" to mankind...

KidRock
Me.

Alpha Centauri
Voted Freud.

-AC

Inspectah Deck
Einstein or DaVinci

leana marie
i dont know who aristotle is but thats who i picked because the name is cool.

Spelljammer
Originally posted by leana marie
Aristotle was a philosoher who connected scientific theory to religon. To him, virtueous actions weren't just an ideal, they were logical conclusions.. Aristotle believed that inorder to function down to the very last atom, one had to think like, search for, and become one with God..

And that's why SpellJammer is voting for him.

Victor Von Doom
Distinct lack of artists there.

Lana
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Distinct lack of artists there.

Agreed.

Originally posted by leana marie

You're joking, right? You don't know who Aristotle is?

Please tell me you're joking.

Morgoths_Wrath
why should there be more artists?

I do think Mozart would have been better to put up there than Oppenheimer, though

BackFire
Stanley Kubrick.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath
why should there be more artists?

I do think Mozart would have been better to put up there than Oppenheimer, though

You have stacked it more or less completely on the scientific/technical side, which is a bit of an assumption.

Unless that was your intention.

Morgoths_Wrath

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by Lana
Agreed.

laughing out loud

Victor Von Doom
Not Shakespeare, Joyce, Nietzsche, Hegel, Kant?

Morgoths_Wrath

Victor Von Doom
Fair enough.

Victor Von Doom
I might have to go with Da Vinci.

Inspectah Deck
I might have to go with Da Vinci.

Me too. He used his paintings as to clues to Jesus and Mary Magdalene. He also made an "army" of unnamed devices and machines smart

Neo_Version 7
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
Me too. He used his paintings as to clues to Jesus and Mary Magdalene. He also made an "army" of unnamed devices and machines smart

I hope you're joking too. stick out tongue

The Highlord
hehe BF that was a pretty good one wink well it all depends on what field we are talking about, Einstein cant be called more intellegnt then say Bach or Mozard they did not do the same thing, I'd say the most intellegent person ever, is the one that is a master I mean really really really really sharp in more fields then any other, say a guy thats exstremly good, at almust all sports, almust all instruments, can figure out everything in math, thinks logicly, very good with people, and so on, basicly qualifies exstremly well in many diffrent things, not just 1 specific thing like some of the once in the list do.

Lana
Personally I'd say all these people are all very intelligent, just in different specific fields.

I will go with DaVinci though, I think.

Wabot47
Originally posted by Ulven
I'd say Newton

If any of you have had any physics, you know how much he has meant for science. I'm dazzeled over how many thing that chap managed to explain/understand.
If I had to chose from that list, I'd say he was the most "valuable" to mankind...

Yeah,man I agree with you man.

Cepheus
It's a tough chopice between Da Vinci, Newton and Einstein.
But I voted for DaVinci... cause he's my personal favorite.

Originally posted by Lana

laughing out loud it wouldn't surprise me...

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by debbiejo
diffenetly not Freud.

what makes you say that?

xmarksthespot
Most of his theories have been disproven for one thing.

I have no idea how Bill Gates has more votes than Stephen Hawking and Benjamin Franklin combined.

soleran30
Cuz Stephen Hawkings although brilliant in a scientific arena Bill Gates appeals to more people with his marketing brilliance the man is a billionare after what 15-20 years......one of the richest men on the planet......anyway Hawkings is brilliant just writes about quasars and black holes and gravity and yeah yeah tough reading

xmarksthespot
Gates was lucky more than brilliant. If he had never bought Q-DOS he wouldn't be where he is today.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by soleran30
Cuz Stephen Hawkings although brilliant in a scientific arena Bill Gates appeals to more people with his marketing brilliance the man is a billionare after what 15-20 years......one of the richest men on the planet......anyway Hawkings is brilliant just writes about quasars and black holes and gravity and yeah yeah tough reading

I guess it depends on what you value when you think of intelligence. For me, business success has too many 'non-intelligence' factors to be valued above other fields.

lil bitchiness
They are all very intelligant. In very different ways to each other. Psychologist, Politician, Scientist and Philosopher are all very intelligant and smart - in their field.

Ulven
You should read about Sir Isaac Newton on wikipedia or in a book, I can't believe people vote Einstein instead of Newton.

botankus
I voted for Debbiejo as most intelligent, followed by Newton.

Syren
I can't vote fairly here because most of the people on the list are outstanding genius' in their own field erm

But, I voted Einstein... very close call with Newton.

Morgoths_Wrath
You should read about Sir Isaac Newton on wikipedia or in a book, I can't believe people vote Einstein instead of Newton.

yeah, I totally agree with this

Newton > Einstein

(btw Newton got my vote)

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Most of his theories have been disproven for one thing.

But you have to remember what he started! He pretty much founded psychoanalysis, and his ideas made major breakthroughs in how we think about psychology.

His ideas were revolutionary for not only psychology, but sociology, philosophy, political science, among others. He has influenced so many people (even you), changing the way we think about a number of different subjects and issues. Maybe some of his ideas were disproven, but what has been built on top of what he started has been phenomenal. The man was a genius, no one can deny this.

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by Neo_Version 7
I hope you're joking too. stick out tongue

No Watson

Victor Von Doom
Just adding to that Freud point: a lot of Newton's ideas have been 'disproven' as well.

Ulven
If you look at the work Newton did, i'd still say he's the man to vote for.

Certainly you can't mean Freud > Newton? Who cares about "the id"? stick out tongue

But I'm not going to force my opinions on people...ok I admit it that's exactly what I want wink

Victor Von Doom
If you look at the work Newton did, i'd still say he's the man to vote for.

Certainly you can't mean Freud > Newton? Who cares about "the id"? stick out tongue

But I'm not going to force my opinions on people...ok I admit it that's exactly what I want wink

I didn't say Freud was more intelligent than Newton, but nor did I say the opposite.

I voted Da Vinci.

DarkCrawler
I don't think Bill Gates is that intelligent.

He is an superb business man.

I vote for Stephen Hawking.

Ulven
I didn't say Freud was more intelligent than Newton, but nor did I say the opposite.

I voted Da Vinci.

Yeah ok smile I think I'll decide to disagree with you anyway wink

Newton for the win Happy Dance

debbiejo
Originally posted by botankus
I voted for Debbiejo as most intelligent, followed by Newton.

I must agree, or someones been hitten the hooch..drunk......It's that thinking out side the box thing......LOL ....Though I just love Albert.....and all his cult.

Wonderer
In the above list - definitely the philosopher Aristotle who formulated the entire thought processes directly and indirectly of the whole of the western world.

Whirlysplatt
Whirly has given this a lot of thought -

Archimedes is probably the greatest of the ancient world

Leonardo Da Vinci the greatest of the renaissance

Newton the greatest post renaissance pre 20th century

The last century is very hard cases could be made for all the obvios ones Bohr, Heisenberg, Einstein, Watson and Crick, etc, etc. Some would say the most naturally gifted was the maths mystic Srinivasa Ramanujan, I am going to go with a man who like Newton, Archimedes and Da Vinci was an all rounder Richard Feynman.

Who? you say smile

Richard P. Feynman, scientist, teacher, raconteur, and musician._ He assisted in the development of the atomic bomb, expanded the understanding of quantum electrodynamics, translated Mayan hieroglyphics, and cut to the heart of the Challenger disaster.

He won the Nobel prize for Physics and his Genius is only now starting to be truly apprciated - In a time of giants he was the 20th Centuries Da Vinci

http://www.amasci.com/feynman.html

"I was born not knowing and have only had a little time to change that here and there."

Richard P. Feynman 1918 - 1988

The True Fear
hideo kojima

T.M
Other.

IMO Alexander The Great.

probably the most successful military leader ever taken over most of the world before he died.

either him or Aristocles.

Bardock42
But Intelligence is not really connected to fields....it has more to do with reasoning and creativity, surely they were gifted in one or the other field that doesn't necessarily mean they are most Intelligent...now going by Intelligent tests someone who is a genius in one field is not necessarily one of the most intelligent .... I still go with Mill though...cause he rocks...I like utilitarians......on that list I'd say Da Vin ci though...maybe Newton (although it's really hard to say, it's more a feeling not that I really could give much evidence....).

T.M
i would also say Alexander Fleming cause he patented someone else's idea (penicillin) and got away with it. Now everyone believes he thought it up.

Bardock42
Originally posted by T.M
i would also say Alexander Fleming cause he patented someone else's idea (penicillin) and got away with it. Now everyone believes he thought it up.

Hm..I wasn't aware of that...whose Idea was it?

T.M
well Fleming wrote about his findings in about 1929

but Ernest Duchesne before him was the main one who thought of it that was in 1897

but there are reports that suggest that people before him had thought of it.

I read somewhere a guy called Joseph Lister who was an English surgeon observed that urine samples contaminated with mold did not allow the growth of bacteria. and was in 1871.

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Bardock42
But Intelligence is not really connected to fields....it has more to do with reasoning and creativity, surely they were gifted in one or the other field that doesn't necessarily mean they are most Intelligent...now going by Intelligent tests someone who is a genius in one field is not necessarily one of the most intelligent .... I still go with Mill though...cause he rocks...I like utilitarians......on that list I'd say Da Vin ci though...maybe Newton (although it's really hard to say, it's more a feeling not that I really could give much evidence....).

Newton spent more of his time doing chemistry than Physics and invented calculus first, after Gaus and Archimedes he might be the greatest at maths of all.

Feynman is my choice because for once I agree with your reasoning smile

Deano
*looks for deano on poll*

*leaves thread*

Bardock42
Originally posted by Whirlysplatt
Newton spent more of his time doing chemistry than Physics and invented calculus first, after Gaus and Archimedes he might be the greatest at maths of all.

Feynman is my choice because for once I agree with your reasoning smile

Yes, I know he did lots of stuff that'S why I thought he might be one of the biggerbrainies...although you are wrong...Leibnitz invented Calculus first.....but nice try.....almost as funny as that thing you called a goal '66....

As for Feynman, I don't know much aboot hi except that I have 3 Big Ass Books to read by him I didn't even touch yet....

Victor Von Doom
I think the general consensus shares it between Newton and Leibniz.

Bardock42
I think the general consensus shares it between Newton and Leibniz.
I can agree to that...for the sake of the longlasting friendship between our Countries....

Victor Von Doom
Newton discovered 74 percent of it, I believe.

Bardock42
Newton discovered 74 percent of it, I believe.

More like .74 I believe.......

Whirlysplatt

Bardock42
But we should not forget that Leibniz invented the Symbolism.....so Leibniz for the Win

Whirlysplatt
But we should not forget that Leibniz invented the Symbolism.....so Leibniz for the Win

Leibniz system is simpler and easier to use - thats why its the one we all learn smile

Bardock42
Leibniz system is simpler and easier to use - thats why its the one we all learn smile

Simpler, easier to use, more flexible and overall just better...that's why we use it....

Whirlysplatt
Simpler, easier to use, more flexible and overall just better...that's why we use it....

agreed smile Newtons really is very hard - but then Newton was very clever, you realise he had rages (Newton I mean)| and might have been Schitzo and Gay.

Bardock42
agreed smile Newtons really is very hard - but then Newton was very clever, you realise he had rages (Newton I mean)| and might have been Schitzo and Gay.
Newton was evil too though......a Genius......but not a very nice man....

shaber
hmm that's tough. I like Newton and Franklin...but Gates is a really shrewd businessman erm

Capt_Fantastic

Whirlysplatt

Bardock42
Alexander The Great wasn't gay though...a misconception of the movie......and I didn't know Morrissey was gay...he rules....no...let me rephrase...he used to rule.....

Whirlysplatt
Alexander The Great wasn't gay though...a misconception of the movie......and I didn't know Morrissey was gay...he rules....no...let me rephrase...he used to rule.....

Morrissey is gay and I saw the Smiths in the eighties his last album still ruled this year.

Bardock42
Morrissey is gay and I saw the Smiths in the eighties his last album still ruled this year.

I don't know..I am not into his "Morrissey" stuff that much...but hell I envy you.....I would love to see The Smiths....my favorite Band.....they are awesome...although I prefer Marr .....

Capt_Fantastic
Alexander The Great wasn't gay though...a misconception of the movie......

It has nothing to do with the movie...

It has everything to do with history. We can't let the world think that the greatest military leader in the western world was gay..

But, he was.

Whirlysplatt
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic

It has everything to do with history. We can't let the world think that the greatest military leader in the western world was gay..

But, he was.

I don't think he was CF

Bardock42

But, he was.

No no no...-we let the masses think he was gay...but he wasn't....sorry there sad ...still luv ya....

Whirlysplatt
I don't know..I am not into his "Morrissey" stuff that much...but hell I envy you.....I would love to see The Smiths....my favorite Band.....they are awesome...although I prefer Marr .....

I preffered the Cure at the time and slightly later the Jesus and Mary cahin, then the stone roses arrived (my faves). anyway time to go to the pub smile

Capt_Fantastic
No no no...-we let the masses think he was gay...but he wasn't....sorry there sad ...still luv ya....

Well, then let's use your example of the movie...

There's one cut, that includes aspects of his homosexual relationships..and another that doesn't. That choice is there for people who are uncomfortable with either possiblity.

This is a debate that certain people may want me to get involved in, but the historical evidence remains. I've spent a lot of time researching this topic, for all the obvious reasons. My intrest is both personal, and historical. I'm a student of history. And all teh books I've read and websites I've visited that provide evidence of his homosexuality, are often countered by another. But, there are very few subjective sites. And a majority of those sites and books say he was.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind on teh subject.

Bardock42
Hmm..well I mean I wouldn't be suprised if he was...and the tie it wouldnt be anything special either I believe...but I heard more often and from people I believe that he wasn't.......

Capt_Fantastic
Hmm..well I mean I wouldn't be suprised if he was...and the tie it wouldnt be anything special either I believe...but I heard more often and from people I believe that he wasn't.......

Cheers...

Victor Von Doom
Wait a minute.

Not Freddie Mercury as well?

Downhill...

Bardock42
Wait a minute.

Not Freddie Mercury as well?

Downhill...

Ah yes.......British Humour....isn't it great....no it's not no expression

Victor Von Doom
Ah yes.......British Humour....isn't it great....no it's not no expression

One World Cup and two World Wars.

Bardock42
One World Cup and two World Wars. Countless Football games and your Royalty.....

Victor Von Doom
Countless Football games and your Royalty.....

You're welcome to them back.

Bardock42

They are good where they are.....

Capt_Fantastic

LOL...that was good

Victor Von Doom
They are good where they are.....

Sadly, that seems to be the prevailing opinion.

Anyone for Edward Witten?

EsteemedLeader
Stephen MC Hawking, the scientist/gangsta rapper!

Whirlysplatt
LOL...that was good

indeed it was quote of the day from vvd

Great Vengeance
Theres alot of people that should be up there but arent...From that list I would go for da vinci being that he was a "universal genious" meaning he had it all.

AdventChild
i Voted Other i think the smartest is "SUN TZU" definetly a genius!

Great Vengeance
Originally posted by AdventChild
i Voted Other i think the smartest is "SUN TZU" definetly a genius!

Indeed.

AdventChild
I'm still trying to figure out why i'm not on the Poll...I guess that's why i'm not up there...

Hit_and_Miss
Its got to be the hawkman... Anyone whos in the know... knows that MC hawking can kick it to any intelligent peeps...

GuitarBunny
My pick is either....DaVinci or Bejamin Franklin
DaVinci becoz he has my respect and worship as an artist
and Franklin becoz he gave alot to humanity
Tough Choice

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
Its got to be the hawkman... Anyone whos in the know... knows that MC hawking can kick it to any intelligent peeps...

laughing out loud

debbiejo
Well to truly honest for their time period and their skill, they were all intelligent in their field....

Twilight Janick
I'd say James Sidis here.

T.M
no one has mentioned Tim Berners-Lee inventor of the world wide web.

Wonderer
I don't think any human being is really intelligent.

Hit_and_Miss
Originally posted by Wonderer
I don't think any human being is really intelligent.

Why??

or are you refering to the masses of idiots who claim to be "humans"

Wonderer
We do not know much, otherwise the world would have been a peaceful place, and we would have been able to bend the world like gods. However, the most intelligent people are those who know that they know nothing.

T.M
We do not know much, otherwise the world would have been a peaceful place, and we would have been able to bend the world like gods. However, the most intelligent people are those who know that they know nothing.

Albert Einstein for you then.

Wonderer
Definitely not Einstein, no intelligent man would have hair like that! Only kidding. Einstein was really a great man...

T.M
Definitely not Einstein, no intelligent man would have hair like that! Only kidding. Einstein was really a great man...

you must remember the guy spent most of his time trying to split an atom he probably didnt get out much.. so giving his hair a brush wouldn't have been top of the guys to do list laughing out loud

Hit_and_Miss

The world isn't kept back by those who are smart, but by those who are dumb... We outlawed the very sciences we need to find cures, we start wars for profit and we would rather steal then study to advance in life... No its not the majority who hold us back, but the minority...

The Omega
http://hem.bredband.net/b153434/Index.htm

Look at table II.

Ushgarak
What a weird table! Why is Fischer there but not Karpov or Kasparov? (Or Capablanca, for that mater)

mechmoggy
We have some seriously clever dudes and dudettes at work.

Whenever I'm introduced to one I appear to become a jibbering idiot and sound more Brummy than at any other time. embarrasment

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Ushgarak
What a weird table! Why is Fischer there but not Karpov or Kasparov? (Or Capablanca, for that mater)

I always find the estimated IQs odd.

It seems to slightly defeat the point of a controlled test if people will estimate it generally.

Whurlysplat
Why no Feynman, Bohr etc damn those guys were bright -
Why no Srinivasa Ramanujan or Gauss
No Galileo or Copernicus
No Faraday or Edison
No Socrates or Plato
No Shakespeare etc you can't really answer this one.

Da preacher
Napoleon.

Nah,
Mozart.

But N 's smart too.

BobbyD
Interesting thread....going with Hawking.

I'm not bashing anyone here, but what really seperates Hawking form the others is his knowledge of stuff not Earth-related, or of this planet. His knowledge is of the cosmic variety. I'm willing to bet that with his intelligence he could have accomplished everything everyone else here did, but they wouldn't have the slightest idea of what he is talking about.

Mr _Whirlysplat
Originally posted by BobbyD
Interesting thread....going with Hawking.

I'm not bashing anyone here, but what really seperates Hawking form the others is his knowledge of stuff not Earth-related, or of this planet. His knowledge is of the cosmic variety. I'm willing to bet that with his intelligence he could have accomplished everything everyone else here did, but they wouldn't have the slightest idea of what he is talking about.

He doesn't get string theory - not that I do either but its why his Physics is considered old hat now. smile As his body atropied he created tools (methods) for working out the kind of maths his cosmology required. Unfortunately they are tools ill suited to the Physics which was going on outside his mind, and he fell behind. No Unified Field Theory here! No chance anymore.

Victor Von Doom
Doesn't Hawking have to work everything out geometrically, or something?

Mr _Whirlysplat
Doesn't Hawking have to work everything out geometrically, or something?

Yes he has visualisation techniques that he uses to model things in 3D an amazing but flawed skill. He is a one off no doubt but despite that his no Newton or Gauss

XCall 0f KtuluX
I am the smartest.

rhyselliott
Benjiman Franklin is the smartest.
He ivented Time savings.

Deano
http://rense.com/1.imagesH/easttexasbirdawgs.jpg

debbiejo
^ I've seen these people down south.... blink

T.M
Carol Vorderman is the smartest person ever !!!

debbiejo
Deano are those people, Ummm the ones that look like dogs British people if they don't get their tea?

Blue_Butterfly
Mozart...a musical genius!

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by T.M
Carol Vorderman is the smartest person ever !!!

Haha.

She's the most poorly-labelled intellectual ever.

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by XCall 0f KtuluX
I am the smartest.

lies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.