Storm Vs. Magneto [with a catch]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

illadelph12
This is not a pure fight;

this is to see who is the top Earth based living engine of mass destruction on Marvel Earth:

Magneto: The Master of Magnetism

or

Storm: Mistress of the Elements

Here are the rules:

Each contestant has 1 week to wreak havoc on the planet causing as much destruction as possible.

Storm can't use any Claremont-ism's like manipulating the sun to cause the Earth to over heat or somehow pulling a solar flare out of no where. She can only use actual weather effects.

Magneto can not effect the polarity of the planet, simply effect the bonds in the atoms of elements on the planet causing the planet to fall apart, emit high levels of radioactivity and x-rays to char the surface of the planet, or create an immense black hole that destroys the Earth.

For the sake of this battle, Magneto is limited to his classic powers:

control over magnetism, manipulation of metal and other ferrous materials, the emission of magnetic pulses, and the ability to augment gravity for flight and to move large objects.

No wormholes, or other science based extrapolations of his control over the electro-magnetic spectrum (though he is capable of them based on his powers). (Sorry demi).

Both are going for surface damage (destroying buildings, cars, houses, stadiums, killing people, etc).

Neither can simply attack a nuclear facility and set off a large explosion.

Damage must be caused by use of their powers on the surface environment.

Both combatants are on kick, and will not tire for a full week.

Who wins?

Discuss.

jgiant
Magneto can set off every bomb in the world off...he wins

Swanky-Tuna
You took away a bunch of his powers!

Still, he could uproot every pipe, beam, and... pipe... and fashion a big scraper and just plow everything down. He'll be giving Earth a shave.

Or he could make a giant balls of it and send it into orbit and let it fall back to the ground.

The only other addition I really had that is now outlawed was setting off gas mains with lasers and boiling the seas.

illadelph12
I had to power him down to make it fair. The possible applications for Magneto's full range of powers makes this very lopsided. He still has a wide range of attacks that he can pull off using magnetism alone.

It's when the arguments that he forms blackholes in London and quantam singularities in Bombay and Tokyo that I have to draw a line.

I'll allow lasers from Magneto. Storm has lightning (though technically so does Magneto).

spiderman44
no1 can stand up to magneto he's to sexy

Khellendros
You said it right in your first post. He can break apart the planet. This isn't much of a contest.

xmarksthespot
I'd imagine he'd just pull down a ferrous asteroid into the Earth.

The True Fear
mags can f up stuff real good. He wouldnt stop at just one asteriod either several would be brought.

Superherovandal
or he would manipulate the metal that lies deep in the Earth's core.

Swanky-Tuna
Storm can blow down your mailbox though.

Hehe, I jest, she can cause a lot of property damage but Magneto's powers have better applications for literal planet destroying.

Metalmanx
Yea. Seriously. Magneto just rips the planet into teensy pieces.

LGodamus
hell mags has always threatened to stop the earths rotation...he has never followed through on it, but that is not due to lack of power

Swanky-Tuna
I'm still all for shaving the planet down.

GalacticStorm
Considering the limits placed by the threadmaker a lot of these scenarios are null and void. I dont think Magneto can win here given he's limited to energy blasts and manipulating the metals found in structures on the SURFACE environment i believe Storm wins. Yeah he can throw around cars uproot buildings and take them apart by manipukating the metal in them, but Storm could just devastate the place with hurricanes. Simple.

Swanky-Tuna
Droping homemade meteors from the sky is surface damage.

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
Droping homemade meteors from the sky is surface damage.

Given that none of them tire in this week i believe Storms power can cause destruction over a wider range than Mags. One need only look at recent issues of Uncanny to see why. Magneto has to manipuate metal to tear the surface environment apart and bash it down. Storm plows it down with hurricanes and lightning.

Swanky-Tuna
That doesn't sound nearly as good as shaving the planet down.

xmarksthespot
A large ferrous asteroid... tidal waves, dust cloud blocking the sun, mass extinction etc.

GalacticStorm
That doesn't sound nearly as good as shaving the planet down.

Doesnt sound as good but thats irrelevant it would take time to manipulate a mass of metal big enough and then be ploughing it around the planet. Storm destroys the place with a hyperstorm. One of which can cover the size of the entire eastern coast of the U.S.

Swanky-Tuna
I mean it doesn't sound as good as in not as damaging. Homemade meteors would wreck the place.

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
A large ferrous asteroid... tidal waves, dust cloud blocking the sun, mass extinction etc.

Some of that is not direct destruction caused by their powers. Only direct destruction counts here im afraid. Given classic Mags powers it would take time for him to manipulate a large enough mass of metal, please recall that his known limit is around 30, 000 tons. He would then have to plough that around the planet. The characters dont get tired but they have limits to what their abilities can do. Its not as effective in terms of sheer destruction or as wide ranging as Storms hyperstorm given the circumstances of this thread (only surface damage and direct destruction), and the more precise nature of Magnetos power.( i.e manipulating a mass of metal to destroy at given points as opposed to waves of destruction over a wide area.)

Swanky-Tuna
He says he's limited to classic powers but not classic limits.

GalacticStorm
He says he's limited to classic powers but not classic limits.

He's never been shown to be past that classic limit of 30 ,000 tons so the advantage you were trying to gain for Mags is lost.

Creshosk
Or he could make a giant balls of it and send it into orbit and let it fall back to the ground. Despite this being like teabagging on the highest scale for the planet . . if you take the balls into orbit and just let them go. . . they're just going to well. . . Orbit. . .

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by Creshosk
Despite this being like teabagging on the highest scale for the planet . . if you take the balls into orbit and just let them go. . . they're just going to well. . . Orbit. . .

Cresh is coming up with the goods today wink

xmarksthespot
He could just do this to every city on Earth.

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by Creshosk
Despite this being like teabagging on the highest scale for the planet . .
Now that... is hilarious

You know what I meant.

This also reminds me of Todd Glass talking about George Carlin with his "I'm getting IN the plane!" stuff.

Originally posted by GalacticStorm
He's never been shown to be past that classic limit of 30 ,000 tons so the advantage you were trying to gain for Mags is lost.
How big was Astroid M?

GalacticStorm
He could just do this to every city on Earth.

As per the threadmakers rules he's not permitted to unfortunately sad

xmarksthespot
Uh... that's classic Magneto doing something with his classic Magneto powers.

GalacticStorm

How big was Astroid M?

Magneto never wielded Asteroid M as a weapon. Big difference.

Gathering the masses of metal required for your scenario would take time and wielding such a huge mass around like a weapon is beyond classic mags capabilities. Not only that but such a weapon can only cause destruction at precise points. Thats less efficient given the terms of the thread than the large scale waves of destruction storm is capable of. They have a week.

GalacticStorm
Uh... that's classic Magneto doing something with his classic Magneto powers.

Uh but thats classic Mags NOT limited to causing surface damage

Swanky-Tuna
Magneto never wielded Asteroid M as a weapon. Big difference.
But that doesn't mean he couldn't. You have all the x-men comics, how big was asteroid m?

That doesn't stop him from dropping meteors on fault lines to cause quakes/open fissures maybe or using them to cause tsunamis.

Nor does it stop him from making his own hurricane out of buildings and scrap.

Uh but thats classic Mags NOT limited to causing surface damage
The thread creator says they're going for surface damage but doesn't say they're limited to surface damage. It's just the surface damage that counts.

GalacticStorm
But that doesn't mean he couldn't. You have all the x-men comics, how big was asteroid m?

That doesn't stop him from dropping meteors on fault lines to cause quakes/open fissures maybe or using them to cause tsunamis.

Nor does it stop him from making his own hurricane out of buildings and scrap.

The thread creator says they're going for surface damage but doesn't say they're limited to surface damage. It's just the surface damage that counts.

I know Asteroid M was big but he didnt use it as a weapon he merely levitated it into orbit and that took extreme effort and concentration. He simply wouldnt be able to (or at least hasnt been shown to be able to) gather such a huge mass of metal to use as a weapon. Doing that would take a lot of time and its still just destruction at precise points as opposed to destruction over a wide area.

The whole point of this thread like the whole one was about who can exact the most surface damage. The threadmaker then gave examples of what he meant such as the destruction of cars building etc. It was made very clear stop trying to get around it. Creating a volcano in the middle of the city is not him limiting his actions to the surface and surface damage and therefore isnt included.

xmarksthespot
I don't recall Asteroid M staying in orbit of it's own accord.

GalacticStorm
I don't recall Asteroid M staying in orbit of it's own accord.

It was held together by Magneto but Magnetos hardly going to be supporting its weight if its in space is he? wink

leonheartmm
u know, magnetism doesnt just affect metals, at extremely high levels, its just a force that influences all matter.

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by leonheartmm
u know, magnetism doesnt just affect metals, at extremely high levels, its just a force that influences all matter.

If you read the threamakers thread (which is something you should always do before you contribute wink ) you'd know that magneto isnt allowed to delve into those territories with his powers.

Swanky-Tuna
Metal. Hurricane.

demigawd
http://www.armageddononline.net/asteroid.php

"A near earth Object (NEO) does not need to be large to devastate. One the size of a small garage would annihilate a large city. One big enough to leave a 10km crater, still nowhere near the size of the biggest (there is a 300km crater on Earth), would have the destructive force of every one of the world's 10,000 nuclear warhead combined. "

Magneto could easily construct a mass of metal that large, bring it into orbit and in launch it right into a highly concentrated area, or along fault lines, or into the pacific and wipe out 25% of the population instantly.

GS's 30,000 ton "limit" is bullshit. Magneto's bio said that before Magneto's powerup, he lifted a 30,000 ton freighter over some distance. It said absolutely nothing about that being his limit, and in the actual issue where that took place, Magneto did it casually. Not a hint of strain whatsoever. In the comic book, there's been no limit shown to his ability to lift a metal object. But Asteroid M, which is also lifted and shielded with his own power, is going to be MUCH heavier than 30,000 tons.

So the point stands: Magneto can combine all the skyscrapers and bridges and cars and planes in NYC into a giant megaball (which in itself will kill millions), then launches them into space, then yanks it back down in the northeast US. Then repeats it like it's a bloody yo-yo until the entire planet is done.

Swanky-Tuna
Out of curiosity, how big Asteroid M? Was it like a full city or what?

LGodamus
Magneto could easily cause the destruction of the entire planet in a matter of hours in exactly the fashion demigawd has put forth.... throwing large objects from orbit would make nuclear war look like childrens playground fights...that would be worldsplitting destruction...remember one meteor , actually smaller than asteroid M , was theorized to have completly destroyed the dinosaurs , even if you dont count the collateral damage the blast would be enough to rock a quarter of our country

Dizzle
Originally posted by LGodamus
Magneto could easily cause the destruction of the entire planet in a matter of hours in exactly the fashion demigawd has put forth.... throwing large objects from orbit would make nuclear war look like childrens playground fights...that would be worldsplitting destruction...remember one meteor , actually smaller than asteroid M , was theorized to have completly destroyed the dinosaurs , even if you dont count the collateral damage the blast would be enough to rock a quarter of our country

The explosions from nuclear war isn't what would kill everything on the planet... The insane radiation is. So while an asteroid may cause the same amount of damage as the explosion, it lacks many of the after effects.

That said, Magneto still wins. xmarksthespot brought up pulling down a random asteroid. Would Asteroid M not be more readily available? It's been shown he can at least move it. Once he pulls it a little ways, gravity can do the rest. Something that big could probably flood a continent or two. He'd kill freaking millions.

Combing the Earth is brilliant. He gets it to a mile or two wide and just sweeps over cities. He could also make other tools if he got bored with a comb. Shoveling the Earth. Spatula-ing the Earth. Hoeing the earth... The possibilities are endless. laughing

demigawd
Out of curiosity, how big Asteroid M? Was it like a full city or what?

As big as the artist wanted to make it, it seemed. But by all accounts, it easily meets to 10km size it takes to cause the 10,000 nuke effect discussed in the article link I posted.

Swanky-Tuna
That teabagging thing was hilarious. I knew "giant metal balls" sounded dirty but I didn't even think about that.
Originally posted by demigawd
As big as the artist wanted to make it, it seemed. But by all accounts, it easily meets to 10km size it takes to cause the 10,000 nuke effect discussed in the article link I posted.
Neato.

demigawd
Originally posted by Dizzle
The explosions from nuclear war isn't what would kill everything on the planet... The insane radiation is. So while an asteroid may cause the same amount of damage as the explosion, it lacks many of the after effects.

That said, Magneto still wins. xmarksthespot brought up pulling down a random asteroid. Would Asteroid M not be more readily available? It's been shown he can at least move it. Once he pulls it a little ways, gravity can do the rest. Something that big could probably flood a continent or two. He'd kill freaking millions.

Combing the Earth is brilliant. He gets it to a mile or two wide and just sweeps over cities. He could also make other tools if he got bored with a comb. Shoveling the Earth. Spatula-ing the Earth. Hoeing the earth... The possibilities are endless. laughing

Just a note of correction - asteroids from space = LOTS OF RADIATION.

And that's just the beginning of the nightmare. tidal waves, earthquakes, dust blocking out the sun for thousands of years are all effects in excess of nuclear explosions. Though 10,000 warheads going off would probably have the same kinds of side effects.

powerfulone1987
Storm definitely wins this one. All the time, anytime, everytime.

illadelph12
(Wazzup demi. I knew you'd show up.)

Science isn't really my 'strong point' (though it's far from my weak point), but there is a glaring flaw in that meteor attack you're suggesting:

Velocity.

Upwards of 100,000 miles per hour velocity, actually.

Magneto can't form a mass of metal that large and garner the speed necessary to create the nuke effect while he himself is here on Earth. Meteors, asteroids, comets, etc. are all travelling at extreme velocities through space when they impact Earth and cause those nuclear holocaust-esque effects. It's a combination of mass and velocity that causes the destruction, not just mass.

I'm not saying that dropping a giant mass of metal and concrete from orbit is not going to cause massive destruction, but not anywhere near the degree you're suggesting.

Nice argument though.

I knew you'd bring it when it comes to Magneto. That's why I had to take away a majority of his abilities to make it fair.

demigawd
Hey Ill! Long time no see. I haven't been on for a couple of months, with all the hurricane stuff going on I've been really busy traveling all over the place because of it. But I have a few days to chill out so I'm doing it here. smile

As for the giant asteroid - is Magneto restricted to Earth for this?

I see it this way, IIRC, escape velocity is 25,000mph, a quarter of the velocity you referenced. Magneto was able to propel Avalon, which is several times larger than even Asteroid M into space at AT LEAST 25,000mph. So we give up some velocity in exchange for greater mass in a purposefully directed attack....I'd say it's still far in excess of what Storm is capable of.

illadelph12
25,000 miles per hour is pretty fast, but I'm not sure Magneto moved the objects at that speed. That's a high hypersonic speed. In so doing with objects of that size Magneto would have caused severe air displacement and shockwaves accross Earth and killed millions, and I don't remember that occuring when he launched those objects into orbit (though like me, Marvel's strong suit is not exactly scientific accuracy).

You sure he didn't just negate the effects of gravity around those objects for the time being and simply place them in space, then when they were in position allow the Earth's gravitational pull to keep them in orbit?

Nataku8188
It doesn't matter how he got them up there, because once they reach that height, he simply has to send them back to Earth. He has shown to be capable of lifting said objects to said height, a little shove back towards earth and the Earth damns us all by itself.

Stupid gravity.

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by illadelph12
25,000 miles per hour is pretty fast, but I'm not sure Magneto moved the objects at that speed. That's a high hypersonic speed. In so doing with objects of that size Magneto would have caused severe air displacement and shockwaves accross Earth and killed millions, and I don't remember that occuring when he launched those objects into orbit (though like me, Marvel's strong suit is not exactly scientific accuracy).

You sure he didn't just negate the effects of gravity around those objects for the time being and simply place them in space, then when they were in position allow the Earth's gravitational pull to keep them in orbit?

You're getting good son. wink stick out tongue

demigawd
When Xavier forced Magneto to launch Avalon back into space, I doubt Xavier was skilled enough to take into account negating gravity effects, so something tells me it was actually by sheer force. As for collateral damage....showing that isn't exactly comic's strong suite.

Though you did mention yet another way for Magneto to cause mass destruction. stick out tongue

demigawd
And remember kids, Magneto is also hopped up on Kick!

GalacticStorm
When Xavier forced Magneto to launch Avalon back into space, I doubt Xavier was skilled enough to take into account negating gravity effects, so something tells me it was actually by sheer force. As for collateral damage....showing that isn't exactly comic's strong suite.

Though you did mention yet another way for Magneto to cause mass destruction. stick out tongue

By interfacing with Magneto he would have been privy to Magnetos knowledge. Of course he would have picked up some info about how to use Mags' powers before tapping into the power of someone with such vast capabilities.

illadelph12
I'm not quite in you or demi's league, but I have my moments.

demigawd
Yeah, and i don't think Xavier could have done all of that fast enough to use Magneto's power with that kind of skill in the time it took to send Magneto off before the Acolytes would have dogpiled him.

If, for arguments sake, Magneto were to suspend gravity, it would still propel Avalon at incredible speeds devoid of friction. If anything, it would make the destruction coming back down even worse because of the increased velocity.

Besides, if destruction is the name of the game, then Magneto would WANT to cause all the damage Ill mentioned. So either way, the planet is fuuuuuuuuuuucked.

Phoenix_Avatar9

pray

demigawd

You're too humble. You're easily one of the smartest guys here. Just learn to talk trash and call people 'son' a lot and you'll be a step above even GS in no time.

Phoenix_Avatar9
lmfao

GalacticStorm
You're too humble. You're easily one of the smartest guys here. Just learn to talk trash and call people 'son' a lot and you'll be a step above even GS in no time.

Quit hating son wink

illadelph12
laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.