Qui Gon vs Yoda???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sie_Babe
K...this is my delima...i recently downloaded a copy of Star Wars 1and 2. i also currently own episodes 4-6 jus missin the 3rdwink. and after carefully thinking this over i am thoroughly confused.

In episode 4 Obi Wan says Yoda was his master. He states many times "how yoda taught me..." well i was under the impression that Qui Gon was Obi Wans master/mentor. I was thinkin that maybe GL didnt think about this in advance and put Qui Gon in the series WAY after episodes 4-6 were completed. But if u were going to write a 6 part series wouldnt you have to have SOME idea of what characters are going to be in it??? And Qui Gon has a fairly large part. So whats the deal here. Which Jedi Master is Obi Wans Mentor/master???

Ushgarak
Actually, Qui Gon is a genuine brand new character that GL thought up after he started writing episode I, unlike many other characters in the new trilogy that he did indeed have in mind long ago.

But the answer is, both. Yoda taught Obi-Wan in the important early stages in his life, that Anakin has so crucially not had (hence Obi-Wan saying tin TPM that he thought he could do as well as Yoda). Qui-Gon then took over for the stages where Obi-Wan was actually out and about in the Galaxy.

Obi-Wan's line that Yoda had taught him to be mindful of the future, right at the start of TPM, is meant to make it clear that Yoda had indeed taught him before Qui-Gon.

LaurenE147
What he said.

Sie_Babe
So it was kinda like Obi Wan and Luke...where Obi Wan atught luke a lil bit of the "jedi arts" and then Yoda almost finished it??? Yeah...i figured as much about GL adding Qui Gon after the last 3 were completed. Some of the lines just confused me a lil bit Thanx 4 ur replys!!!big grin big grin big grin wink

Dexx
Qui Gon...

yerssot
actually, I would say yoda did it all, QGJ just gave the experience with missions

justinday15
Yoda and Qui Gon are both his masters. Yoda trained him when he was little and Qui Gon trained him when he was older

Member.
yoda gave OB1 hints and tips and warned him of impending danger, yoda liked OB1. QGJ was ob's mentor/master.

GordonSkywalker
And for the record, Yoda was not mentioned until Episode V(The Empire Strikes Back) when Luke was half-concious on Hoth the ice planet. He saw a vision of Obi Wan Kenobi, who told him to go to Dagobah to find the jedi master who instructed him in the ways of the Force.As for why he didn't say Qui Gon Jinn was his master: there was no point in him speaking of Qui Gon. Qui Gon was dead,and Yoda was still alive. I think that's why Obi Wan said it like he did. No need to confuse Luke, after all....

Ushgarak
Wow, old topic...

Incidentally, GL invented Yoda after ANH. That might seem obvious, but actually a lot of the characters in Episodes V and VI (and even, as I mentioned a while ago above, the prequel films) were in his mind right from the start. Yoda, however, was an emergency Obi-Wan replacement, GL and Alec Guiness having decided to kil Obi-Wan in ANH rather on the spot.

Julie
eh so people need to wonder about stuff that has been covered...keeps life interesting

GordonSkywalker
Not everyone here may have been here when this topic first came up, you know. Anyway, it's a fascinating discussion.

Member.
well said everyonebig grin!!

GordonSkywalker
Liam Neeson did a most excellent job as Qui- Gon Jinn , regardless of whether or not his character was added 'late in the day' of the Star Wars storyline.

justinday15
I think Yoda is every jedis master.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.