Torchwood (Doctor Who fans, take a look...)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article320110.ece

Oooooh, interesting... hope it is legit and goes all the way!

Cletus_Kasady
The next Dr.Who is going to be at Christmas.

Ushgarak
Well, true, but not entirely relevant...

Ushgarak
Right! Now that the new Dr. Who episode began the plotline that will eventually result in this new series. time people were reminded of this, I think!

Sir Whirlysplat
Seen it, but its interesting.

Fiann@
New Series on BBC3

It's a spin off from Doctor Who, I believe, with Captain Jack from the first series of the revamped Doctor Who.

It looks promising. happy

Link to BBC

Link 2

barand1
I really like the sound of this. I can't wait. smile

Koenig
Most spin off shows go down the plug hole.

Ushgarak
Merged, 'cos I was way ahead of you.

MildPossession
I really don't like the X-Files meets THIS LIFE(URGH) part...

I take it by that, it's not one for the kids to settle in front of then...

HellMaster93
I knew about this ages ago... sounds decent. The women who played that maid girl in the ghost episode of Season 1 of Dr who (the one withj Dickens!) will act as his assistant...

MildPossession
Yeah there was a picture of the two in some sci fi magazine a few months ago, looked a good pair.

Blue Dragon
What's this about? A spin off? When was this? blink Why is there so much to ask?

Lana
I'm definitely going to be finding SOME way to watch this.

barand1
This shall be the thing that will fill in the Doctor's boots until he returns.

Blue Dragon
Originally posted by Fiann@
New Series on BBC3

It's a spin off from Doctor Who, I believe, with Captain Jack from the first series of the revamped Doctor Who.

It looks promising. happy
It looks promising, & this was posted on July 3rd so, it's still yet to come!? When!?

Ushgarak
Filming is delayed. Word is it will be before Christmas, but nothing is settled. Optimistic expectation would be September/October.

Bloigen
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Filiming is delayed.

wallbash

Ushgarak
Well, I meant was, rather than is- they already showed some filming work in Doctor Who Confidential. But yes, it's not imminent. Look towards Autumn.

Lana
Bumping this because I just finished watching the first episode!

And you know, I'm actually almost hoping this isn't aired in the US. Would make it easier for me to watch...but they would edit the hell out of it. Which would annoy me immensely...

vintageSW77
Enjoyed it on the whole
Didnt get the Pteradactyl.
Too many aerial shots of Cardiff...or was that the Pteradactyl POV
2 bi snogs and a bald guy jerking off was to be expected.
I was just wondering why Jack was obsessed with the hand(i heard its the Doctors)maybe it comes in handy on his lonely nights in.
The asian lady was kind of redundant.
2nd episode was a semi SPECIES rip off n all
But apart from that it was enjoyable.

MildPossession
Is it as gory, full of sex, swearing as it's made out to be? or is it pretty tame...

vintageSW77
pretty tame if it was at the cinema itd be nudging a 15 cert

vintageSW77
Just read it got the biggest viewing figures on digital tv away from the football!!
So maybe all that pimping in Doctor Who was worth it.
I find myself eagerly awaiting Sunday...maybe ill even watch the repeats
VERY quiet round these parts...did NOBODY here watch?

Ushgarak
I did. It's not that I didn't like it, but it hasn't quite broken its ground yet. I mean, the second episode was precisely what RTD said that Torchwood wasn't going to be- i.e. sex and swearing just thrown in to Doctor Who type stories.

He didn't write that one himself, of course. One might possibly suspect that RTD putting that peisode in as number two was done to pull ther guys in, a traiditional sci-fi tactic.

Still, we have the likes of PJ Hammond to come, and if he is on Sapphire and Steel form...

So yes. It was fun and the dialogue is good and Jack is good and so on... the first episode wa o f course always going to be hard, as it has to set it up. It has its' 'first episode of The Shield' style twist but it didn't seem quite as dramatic as it might. The second was exactly what it was, as I mention above. Far from dire, but I know I won't go out of my way to watch it again.

Still, many new Who fans thought it took a few episodes to get going, and I do think they have some interesting character plotlines building up. What we need now is a really killer episode with a great threat to bounce the characters off against. We shall see.

SpikeSpiegel
I loved the first two episodes. Captain Jack was my favourite character in series 1/27, alot better than the doctor in my opinion.

Anyone know if this is going to be the one and only torchwood series, as Captain Jack is meant to be reterning to Doctor who next year.

Ushgarak
The ratings will tell all.

I understand that the vibe is that next episode takes things in a direction I will be happier with.

Lana
Well, I liked it quite a lot so far. Then again, I also am of the opinion that Jack is one of the most amusing characters to ever be created. I also like...how to put this...darker and 'realistic' sci-fi, I suppose would be best...I mean, X-Files has been my favorite show for a loooong time, and Torchwood definitely has more than a bit of an X-Files vibe to it.

I just would like - and it is still very early in the show so they probably will - for it to get more into the characters and flesh them out, and have a bit more of a psychological aspect.

Oh, and I've decided I want a pet pterodactyl. Heh.

Blue Dragon
I was highly dissapointed & not what I expected at all! I knew there'd be more adult stuff such as swear, gore ect, but there was just too much of it & it wasn't needed!

I don't mind swearing too much, but I don't like words being over used. Episode one was better than two, I mean it was like horny aliens for goodness sake!

Yeah, it was okay, but I thought'd be more like an adult version of Doctor Who, without the Time Travel of course. Need more aliens & action & gore, not swear, drugs & sex! I just don't enjoy that kind of stuff...

I'm going to tape them tonight on BBC2 just in case they get better, but if not, I'll tape over them.

vintageSW77
Watched it again on the bbc2 repeats last night,i just changed channels to watch a little bit but ended up watching both episodes.
Will def be there sun night.
Hooked.

Koenig
Not a very good start at all, episode two was crass just pinch a story from thr X-Files and rework it. If this show goes down this road it will go down the road of self destruction. It better start picking up and getting it's act together. To sum up the balance of the show is all over the place and that makes it look like some cheap BBC production.

MildPossession
I'm with you, terribly disappointed with this series so far.

Lana
Well, I certainly liked the last episode a lot better than the second. It got kind of corny in places, but overall I liked it a lot...and it basically did exactly what I said I'd like to see, and that was to get more into the psychological side of things.

Ushgarak
It wasn't crass, like the second...

... but still yet to have the big cracker of an episode we really need to propel the series along.

Koenig
Don't tell me your watching it on digital? I'm with good old analogue so I will not be able to see it until Wednesday.

Digital is dreadful where I am it's like watching Max Headroom. laughing out loud

vintageSW77
well after reading the episode run downs in SFX there is going to be some very dark stuff coming

Koenig
Episode 3 was better than episode 2 which I was glad of. Episode 4 looks like someone has got there hands on Cyberman work shop? Well I shall find out next Wednesday night. wink

vintageSW77
Well that was a load of cobblers.
The Ianto guy should get an award for worst actor.....and i think it took 35 mins for this weeks same sex snog.
At least it wasnt David walliams playing the CYBERLAYDEE!!!!

Ushgarak
A guy from the far future, dated on the Earth from the Second World War, who cannot die, leading a team of semi-competent investigators in investigating and covering up alien incursions on Earth based around a Welsh city built on a spatial rift first sealed by a servant girl with the aid of Dickens and an alien time traveller whose (apparently) re-born form has just joined the team on pointblank notice after the previoud deputy went crazy wanting to kill people so she could test a device that resurrects them (and chooses to use the one weapon that could actually be traced to her)...

... and the most unlikely thing of the series is still that Ianto keeps his job after that one.

It was ok. But I am still waiting for an episode to 'click' with me.

PJ Hammond coming up. Knock me out, Sapphire and Steel boy!

Blue Dragon
Enjoyed last night's episode. Much better & best one so far. You gotta love Cybermen & this was close to it. smile Damn tape though...I tried to tape it & had about 5-6 minutes left until the end but the taped had got to the end, missing off the ending! mad Gotta tape it again...

If we have more action & scares like that one, will enjoy watching it. If like episode two, then down the drain with you!

Koenig
Episode 4 had potential too be a great story but it was wasted. Too much farting around in the first 20 minutes and the ending was so poor I just had the felling who ever wrote the story was reading Frankenstein at the same time.

Not looking good at the moment, if this is the best they can do this show will be cancelled.

vintageSW77
All those referances and plugs in Doctor Who are going to look like one big advertisement for a flop in a few months.

Ushgarak
No, I'm not ready to call that yet. The first half of the first series of new Who underwhelmed me but it picked up after- Dalek, Father's Day, Empty Child, and the final two parter wasn't sophisticated but it was exciting.

Let's see.

Ushgarak
A-HA!

I knew P J Hammond would deliver.

Even if it was not your kind of story (and it was mine), I am sure people will be able to tel that that was a class effort that reflects much more about what the series should be like.

(Though it is worth pointing out that that basically WAS a Sapphire and Steel episode)

Lana
My favorite yet, by far...

vintageSW77
Missed it
will have to wait til Wed
Barrowman was entertaining on Jonathon Ross
He also gave away that he is DEFINATLEY in the next series of DR Who on Andrew Marrs show yesterday.

Lana
As far as I knew, that was confirmed for months that he would be.

vintageSW77
Originally posted by Lana
As far as I knew, that was confirmed for months that he would be.

I know it was assumed but not confirmed he was going to be in series 3
Is it up that the DALEKS are def in series 3 too yet?
I hear they appear in 1930s New York in an episode.
also in other news a song by THE DIVINE COMEDY will feature in the xmas episode of DR WHO

Koenig

(Though it is worth pointing out that that basically WAS a Sapphire and Steel episode)

Really which one?

I do have an idea, but I can not see how. Right moving on to Episode 5 a little better this week.

And the award for best performance goes to the cat, for it's expression on it's face as to say I'm out of here. roll eyes (sarcastic) wink

MildPossession
I missed it, but did this Sapphire and Steel guy calm down the sex/language part of Torchwood?

Saphira
I like Torchwood! I think it's cool. All of you lot are just so cynical.

Koenig
Originally posted by Saphira
I like Torchwood! I think it's cool. All of you lot are just so cynical.

That's because we are older and wiser. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Are to be young again. wink

Ushgarak
Torchwood needs some grunts working for them. At least UNIT could have sent out a load of soldiers to check out the countryside.

Lana
That last episode scared me...

Saphira
It scared me too, a little. But, at the end, OMG! Isaw her in that flat and just immediately recognised it from episode three. Wow! Gwen and Owen!

Koenig
What a load of rubbish this week was total. shit Talk about ripping off films like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. And next week hot lesbian action, what next on the crap agenda? mad

Torchwood is out of the bin and down the toilet pan, who writes this rubbish needs to think up something new if they can. furious

barand1
I would almost agree Koenig. Torchwood isn't turning out the way I had hoped, which is a real shame because it can be really good at times, but lately it just seems to be staying at the good or below on my meter, not great or fantastic. I'm not gonna compare the show with Doctor Who because that is just silly, but I wish they add a bit of humour to it. I agree with you with it ripping off a whole lot of horror films. Not only was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre one, but Jeepers Creepers, what with Ianto and Toshiko trapped in that basement and that woman on about after so many years they need feeding, aka the harvest. I can understand the show trying to be scary, but c'mon surely the writers can think of something better than that! As for next week... looks like we're in for the same, boring. I was watching the episode just gone thinking, "why am I watching this?". The reason being because the show can be really good at times and I'm sure... well hope, it will get better. Instead of Torchwood, Touchwood.

vintageSW77
Derivative as stated above..if youve never seen a horror flick ..great..if you have it was spot the rip off.
Gwen is starting to get really annoying too.
its hard to connect with a main character who pretty much is a tart.

I thought the bit where Jack burst in with the shotgun was well over the top and all.
And while im all for a bit of girl on girl action do we really need another same sex snog in the series next week....i think this is the fifth so far in as many episodes.
It sure for the atypical sci fi geek its a thrill but for the rest of us.... YAWN!!

Koenig
Another boring episode which was a waste of space, this series is going no where fast and the BBC has got the nerve to call it a hit show! They are joking, Torchwood is dreadful and here are my reasons why.

1. How can anyone take that lot at Torchwood 3 seriously? Just look at the way they conduct themselves and bunch of nitwits that make a hash of the situation. They could learn a lot from U.N.I.T. on how to conduct themselves.

2. The acting is poor a weak.

3. The writers of this show should all be sacked for to many copycat story lines and wasted story lines as well.

4. The New Doctor Who series one was a lot better than Torchwood series one.

5. If they do a series two, it better improve 100% or I shall start writing letters of complaint to the BBC.

vintageSW77
I didnt watch it last night or on Sunday i watched Im a celebrity get me out of here.....i could have left the room and watched it elsewhere but i just .......couldnt...be .........arsed.
Ill prob watch the last couple to bring me up with the new WHO series but it looks like all that Torchwood name dropping in Who series2 will now look pretty daft.....that and conjure up images of same sex snogging.

barand1
I agree 100% with what you said Koenig.

Ushgarak
I thought the latest episode was entirely watchable. Far from a classic, but it held my attention.

And bonus geek points for the UNIT mention.

vintageSW77
they name checked UNIT???
Damn that David Gest!

Lana
I liked it.

People complaining about sex and stuff in it obviously never paid any attention to anything said about the show before it started.

And yeah, I noticed when they mentioned UNIT.

vintageSW77
yeah but its so in your face...sex scenes are ok with me but they just dont gel..its like they are trying TOO hard.

i just watched the latest episode
lets hope Unit are in series 3
Sea Devils tommorow mornin.........classic

vintageSW77
i hope they dont bring back UNIT
with Russel T Davies in command i imagine they will be like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_iH1GhM2j8&mode=related&search=

barand1
Haha. Let's hope not.

Long live Monty Python!

Koenig
A slow dull episode like watching paint dry. bored

A corpse on the loose, boring.

barand1
I haven't watched the last two episodes. One I missed, and the latest one I just couldn't be bothered. The interest has gone now. I don't know why. At the beginning I used to make sure I watched nothing else but Torchwood. Now though, I don't care if I miss it. I remember someone saying, when it first started, that the show took itself too serious, and now I agree. I mean if it had humour we could enjoy it more I think. It would attract more viewers and be a little more like the Doctor Who series. After all it is a spin off of the show. I mean if the show takes itself too seriously, we are gonna do the opposite towards it. Right? I feel bad by the way it has turned out. It started off well, and now look. I feel sorry for John Barrowman, because he comes across as a really nice guy (from what I've seen in interviews). Oh well I guess. You win some, you lose some.

barand1
Originally posted by Koenig
A slow dull episode like watching paint dry. bored

That doesn't surprise me Koenig. I haven't watched the last two episodes. One I missed, and the latest one I just couldn't be bothered. The interest has gone now. I don't know why. At the beginning I used to make sure I watched nothing else but Torchwood. Now though, I don't care if I miss it. I remember someone saying, when it first started, that the show took itself too serious, and now I agree. I mean if it had humour we could enjoy it more I think. It would attract more viewers and be a little more like the Doctor Who series. After all it is a spin off of the show. I mean if the show takes itself too seriously, we are gonna do the opposite towards it. Right? I feel bad by the way it has turned out. It started off well, and now look. I feel sorry for John Barrowman, because he comes across as a really nice guy (from what I've seen in interviews). Oh well I guess. You win some, you lose some.

Ushgarak
Nah, that episode was entirely reasonablke again. The plot was over-convuluted; the whole "It was her plan all along" thing struck me as an adolescent twist that didn't really gel.

On the other hand, it seems to be the first time since the first episode that Ianto was acting as he was introduced to be, and in that he managed to be a worthwhile character this week, rather than morose/idiotic/traitorous/useless one as in a lot of the earlier ones.

vintageSW77
well at 9.00 last night it was probably the most interesting thing on tv
i didnt mind it
ive missed two eps as well but thats down to laziness with the home recording.
is Jack doing Ianto?
whats that "see you at 10" thing all about?

midnightshadow
oh that was great! the little slash moment between Ianto and Jack was ace. i was like eek! slashyness, slashyness!
the rest of the ep was a bit crap but that was brill!

vintageSW77
whats slash??
it aint that Han Solo and Leia and Chewie having a 3some rubbish is it
those people who write that stuff seriously are ****ed up

so it was a sexual referance
its a good job K9 aint in it as theyd be no doubt ****ing the dog an all

Lana
Well, I liked it, quite a lot. Beyond the whole "it was Suzie's plan all along" thing, which was just kind of dumb, and the fact that Gwen is a complete and total idiot...but then again, I don't really like Gwen anyway. She seems fairly useless to me.

All the fangirls were flipping out over the Jack/Ianto thing at the end, since that's apparently the pairing of choice...and I had to actually avoid my friend's page on livejournal because about 2 of every 3 posts in the Torchwood comm until last night were about that (the remainder were rhyming games and 'what can you do with a stopwatch'). Funny, yes, but got very very annoying very fast...especially as I really couldn't care less.

Someone doesn't know what slash is? Read the first definition.

barand1
I think one of the main problems with Torchwood is the characters. I don't think many people really like them or care for them. But then again I supposed that could be because of the writing.

Koenig
Originally posted by barand1
I think one of the main problems with Torchwood is the characters. I don't think many people really like them or care for them.

I look forward to seeing all of them wiped out. big grin

The problem is the BBC calls it an adult drama! Rubbish it's more like a teenager drama which has been messed it up with all the slick slam bang tosh which is all over the place. The whole show is a mess the actors are dreadful and there acting is a joke, the storeys are most part below average or just plain awful and the directing is all over the place. It's a sloppy production which should be taken off air and sorted out before returning.

Get this mess sorted out BBC. mad

vintageSW77
Yeah thats what i thought SLASH was
for people who should try getting some instead of fantasizing about Cpt Kirk and Spock takin it up the arse
the worst of SF fandom

I suppose Torchwood has left em with nothing to fantasize about

Koenig
I am going to write a letter of complaint to the BBC, the question is will they read it?

I suspect not knowing the high and mighty Bloated Broadcasting Crap. nopity

midnightshadow
Originally posted by vintageSW77
Yeah thats what i thought SLASH was
for people who should try getting some instead of fantasizing about Cpt Kirk and Spock takin it up the arse
the worst of SF fandom

I suppose Torchwood has left em with nothing to fantasize about

if you dont like slash fiction then that is your choicr but dont get all uppity or ***** and insult those who do. its childish and im sure that some of the things you do/read/watch etc other people feel exactly the same way about. besides how do you know that those who read and write slash fiction arnt 'getting some' as you put it, especially if you were not sure what it was yourself. free speach, its all opinion, blah, blah, blah, etc.
and kirk/spock, personally ew sick (agin opinion)

ok rant over big grin back to tourch wood
i agree that the chars lack definition. they seem very flat and you dont really conect with any of them.
the only ones i remotly like are jack and ianto, (not for the slash pairing) because thay seem to have a bit more depth than the others.
the others can all drop dead as far as im concerned, especially gwen, her accent really annoys me

vintageSW77
im aware that sad arses type up weird sexual stories about fellow charcters from film,tv shows and bands havin it off with each other i just wasnt sure it was called slash.
im sure its all very nice for you to read about the Fellowship and the male members of Griffinthingy all standing in a circle tossing each other off but i think its sad
I am entitled to my opinion too and sure maybe some people may think my liking of Dr Who is childish(im actually a fan more of the Hartnell - Davidson era than todays version) but ill say it again from someone who in NO WAY a prude that i think slash fiction is the work of sad oddballs who whilst they may be "getting some" are not getting the right "some"............i think they are ****ing weirdos and do nothing to help other sci fans get away from the geek tag.

vintageSW77
midnightshadow
this may be persumptious of me but im sure you have something to say in defence of slash but youll have to wait a bit because im off to Barcelona
and that aint a DR WHO referance
im actually goin to Barcelona

midnightshadow
good for you i hope you enjoy your trip (i mean that sincerly ihere that its a lovely place, my friends sister lives there)
i dont think your liking of doctor who is childish as i am also a fan and that would be hypocritical of me.
it just irritates me that you would stereo type all slash fans as being sad wierdos with no lives sexual or otherwise. it also irritates me that you would assume that all slash is just two or more guys or girls for that matter who just have loads of sex. alot of slash out there is about the relationship between 2 guys which is more than friendship, although there is alot of nc17 stuff too.
i dont mean to disregard your opinion, but i just thought that you should realise that you are being judgemental without knowing alot about the subject.
i hope you get a chance to read this, and i appologise to everyone for going off topic, but i needed to state my opinion even if there is a good chance i wont be read or appreciated
again my appologies

vintageSW77
ok
i read it your reply and yes i did go off on one
apologies

midnightshadow
its ok i do that alot too big grin lets just say we both have different opinions and call it a dayshutup

anyway i really hope that torchwood picks up abit (not likly but.... sad )
i want to know when we're goin to see tha doctor, if at all, and what happened to jack on satalite 5!
what do you think any ideas?

Lana
The Doctor is not going to appear in Torchwood, this has been confirmed for ages.

Blue Dragon
Why would he? Torchwood isn't about The Doctor. He's mentioned little but it's it's own show. It wouldn't be right if he did, but somehow I feel it'd be okay if Torchwood was in Doctor Who. Just seems okay....maybe The Doctor would be okay in it for just a little bit.

It's like Green Green Grass; the spinoff of Only Fools & Horses. My mum wanted Del & Rodney to be in it, but it's not about them, it's about Boycie & Marlene. Dunno if it'd be right if they were in it either...

Saphira
Well I like Torchwood.

So there.

vintageSW77
part of the doctor has been in Torchwood all along

his hand

barand1
How was the episode just gone like? My friend said it was good, but I missed it. I'll watch the repeat... if I remember.

vintageSW77
I missed it to but it probably went like this -

crime commited
shot of Gwen,Jack and er...the other two walking to crime scene together accompanied by electro music with some trendy camera work
bit of blood
very dead person
some very rude words
bit of same sex snogging
risque comment by Jack
Alien/supernatural murderer of the week
Ianto orders pizza and fries with mayo for everyone(lets hope it is mayo after Jack and Iantos chit chat at the end of last weeks episode))
a lot of running/chase scene with SOME VERY LOUD MUSIC
convoluted plot twist
nice aerial shot of Cardiff
a little twist/teaser to round off with

barand1
Oh sounds like the last episode... and the episode before that... and the one before that... hang on a minute!

Koenig
Originally posted by vintageSW77
I missed it to but it probably went like this -

crime commited
shot of Gwen,Jack and er...the other two walking to crime scene together accompanied by electro music with some trendy camera work
bit of blood
very dead person
some very rude words
bit of same sex snogging
risque comment by Jack
Alien/supernatural murderer of the week
Ianto orders pizza and fries with mayo for everyone(lets hope it is mayo after Jack and Iantos chit chat at the end of last weeks episode))
a lot of running/chase scene with SOME VERY LOUD MUSIC
convoluted plot twist
nice aerial shot of Cardiff
a little twist/teaser to round off with

Now that's what I call being sarcastic with style. laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud

Lana
I would say that last episode was the worst yet...and the ending was horrid. I'll happily pretend it didn't exist.

Though, found this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2006/12_december/12/torchwood.shtml

vintageSW77
nice find
dunno if its good news but nice find
you found any Empress of Arachnia pics??

Ushgarak
It wasn't much cop. Actually, even though it was not a style to my liking, it was ambling on not too badly, but the ending is close to a crime against humanity.

As for the second series- well, that was guaranteed after episode one smashed the records. Viewing figures have been high for a non-terrestial show ever since, there seems to be some fuzziness about how well it is doing on BBC Two midweek but it's not stellar. But the opening blitz won them the right for their second attempt. We'll see how it goes.

Lana
Well, I was bored with it 10 minutes in. Which is why I thought it wasn't that great...and then the ending completely shot to hell any thoughts I might have had of thinking it was decent.

Koenig
That was the biggest steaming pile of shit to date, what's the bloody point of putting that shit episode on for?
Total shit from start to finish. ranting

Who the hell wrote that piece of shit they should be put against the wall for that episode. furious

barand1
Haha. Koenig you do make me laugh at times. smile

vintageSW77
im glad i watched the comedy awards instead then

Koenig
Haha. Koenig you do make me laugh at times. smile

Hey my fan club is growing. big grin cool

There's no point mixing your words when it comes to Torchwood, lay it on the line and give it a good bashing.

Ushgarak
Bit of a Star Trek episode, that one...

Koenig
Torchwood should be reclassified as a soft porn show at the rate it's going.

This weeks story was a lame duck come on, anyone who is some 50 years adrift is going to ask who what and when, but we got a nice bunch of calm people. The story's are so perfected at times it makes you think who the hell are these writers? It's a Sci-Fi show not a bloody soap opera or a soft porn show. Let's hope next week is better if possible please.

Ushgarak
Radio Times says the last two (shown together) are pretty good, in stark comparison to the rest.

Saphira
Is there seriously any point in me coming on here? I swear, your title should have been "(Doctor Who fans run like hell because everyone here hates it.)"

Well I don't, I like it, so I'm leaving, you probably didn't notice me anyway because no-one ever does and everyone in the real world completely ignores me and all my opinions, it's like a natural thing built into everyone or just me that makes absolutely certain that even if no-one else is speaking no-one would listen to me.
Oh for goodness sake never mind. I hardly ever come on this actual website anymore because it seems that not just the people on this forum but apparently almost (I say almost) everyone else is grumpy and cynical.
Basically, it's not for me.

Koenig
Well this week started off with a good start but ended with a typical cop out ending, the fight club crap was a lode of rubbish and not needed. Yet again the writers messed up a potential good episode and I for one am sick to the back teeth with these writers of this show they are a bloody wast of space.

I can only hope series two has better writers and story lines for the sake of Sci-Fi fans, we want good solid Sci-Fi story lines.

barand1
I must admit I have totally given up on this sad

Koenig
Is there seriously any point in me coming on here? I swear, your title should have been "(Doctor Who fans run like hell because everyone here hates it.)"

Your input is welcomed but you can not expect everyone to like Torchwood, as a Dr Who fan while would I run like hell away from here.

Well I don't, I like it, so I'm leaving, you probably didn't notice me anyway because no-one ever does and everyone in the real world completely ignores me and all my opinions, it's like a natural thing built into everyone or just me that makes absolutely certain that even if no-one else is speaking no-one would listen to me.

I'm sure others here read your input, but don't expect to get a reply all the time. You got to take the rough with the smooth.

I hardly ever come on this actual website anymore because it seems that not just the people on this forum but apparently almost (I say almost) everyone else is grumpy and cynical.

Yep welcome to the real world, you should keep posting and state why you like Torchwood. Don't just say you like it, give some reasons why you like it?

Captain REX
I've actually been enjoying Torchwood, mostly due to the fact that not much things on television are even vaguely interesting to me these days.

'Out of Time' was a pretty good episode, and 'Combat' was decent enough.

Lana
See, I'm liking Torchwood quite a bit. It's just not really been great yet. Good, but not excellent.

The last episode I liked quite a bit, but the premise was just silly and kept it from being great, I think.

Oh well. Last two episodes are supposed to be really good - they certainly look like they will be - so hopefully they'll live up to it.

Captain REX
Random Shoes II: Return of Eugene. eek!

But yeah, bit strange the whole 'fight club' thing. Oh well, mankind is full of maroons, what else are you going to do when you find something dangerous and freakish? Fight it, of course.

Koenig
The last two story's will not make up for the fact that Torchwood has been one hell of a let down. This show needs a big shake up from top to bottom before they start filming series two.

Eclipso
The biggest problem is that Jack Harkness is pretty much the only likeable character,

Gwen is a whiny whore.

Tosh is a stuck up B*tch.

Owen is a bi-poler nut half the time

And the only time Yanto was ever interesting was when he betrayed them.

Keep Jack, kill the rest and find a new team for season 2, maybe have jack and Sarah Jane Smith team up and run Torchwood.

Ushgarak
Actually, I think Owen's nuttiness makes him the only other interesting character.

I wonder if Gwen is going to kill herself to re-seal the rift? That's what happened first time. Although she doesn't seem to be psychic this time around.

Eclipso
I hope so, they need a new team for season 2, how about this team?

Jack
Owen
Sarah Jane Smith
Donna
A new character (Possibly a relative of Rose Tyler's trying to find out what happened to her.)

Lana
Actually, I think Owen's nuttiness makes him the only other interesting character.

I wonder if Gwen is going to kill herself to re-seal the rift? That's what happened first time. Although she doesn't seem to be psychic this time around.

Heh, I agree. Owen's a complete and utter bastard but it actually makes him interesting as opposed to unlikeable.

I wouldn't be too averse to that, though I really don't like Gwen anyway...heh...

Eclipso
Heh, I agree. Owen's a complete and utter bastard but it actually makes him interesting as opposed to unlikeable.

I wouldn't be too averse to that, though I really don't like Gwen anyway...heh...

Yeah sleeping around on her boyfriend and then drugging him so she can make herself feel better and erasing his mind. I can see why she's unlikeable.

Lana
That, and she's just plain dumb and doesn't really seem to have much point.

Eclipso
Yeah, I'm thinking maybe they wil have her become corrupt in the end liek her predecessor who was more interesting.

Captain REX
Gwen grows to annoy, but everyone else...no complaints...

Ultimately, Jack is the best, of course.

Eclipso
What do you think of my idea for a Torchwood cast?

Jack
Owen
Sarah Jane Smith
Donna
A new character (Possibly a relative of Rose Tyler's trying to find out what happened to her.)

Captain REX
Jack and Owen, yes...but Sarah Jane doesn't really fit in with the Torchwood feel, and Donna said that she wasn't interested in living a life like the Doctor's, which means staying out of trouble.

Eclipso
Sarah Jane investigates and so does torchwood, and she would keep them honest and keep jack in check.

Captain REX
Right, but she doesn't fit the tone and mood of the show. Torchwood is a great deal darker than Doctor Who.

Eclipso
Yeah and that's part of what's wrong with it.

Lana
Why is it being darker than Doctor Who part of what's wrong with it? That's what it was always meant to be.

Eclipso
Yeah but it doesn't have any of the fun and wit of Dr Who.

DS9 was a darker version of Star Trek TNG, but it still had its fun and light-hearted moments.

Lana
That's the thing though - Torchwood isn't meant to simply be a darker version of Doctor Who. It's a completely seperate show altogether, but is thematically much darker and more adult.

Eclipso
Yes but it's very depressing to watch, you need alittle humor, even just a tad to balance it out.

Ushgarak
DS9 wasn't dark at all; that was just flimflam.

Odd thing is, many fans seem to be actively complaining about the humour in Torchwood.

There is nothing wrong with being dark, and also absolutely no necessity for wit. Torchwood could be improved by the two classic lynchpins of any drama- better stories and better characters.

Koenig

Torchwood could be improved by the two classic lynchpins of any drama- better stories and better characters.

I agree 100% on that.

The BBC claims Torchwood as an adult show I have seen no evidence of this, more like a show for teenagers. On saying that, I know three teenagers who hate this show and feel badly let down by it.

Chico_time
Torchwood is frankly just seedy. It\'s not grim and gritty at all. Just poorly written.

Eclipso

Odd thing is, many fans seem to be actively complaining about the humour in Torchwood.

There is nothing wrong with being dark, and also absolutely no necessity for wit. Torchwood could be improved by the two classic lynchpins of any drama- better stories and better characters.

Actually the creators of DS9 even said it was supposed to be a darker look at the Trek universe. Showing some of the not so perfect things that go on in order for the federation to be around and so on...

As for Torchwood, yes better stories and get rid of everyone except Jack and Owen and have Gwen die horribly.

Lana

Or to actually spend any time going into the characters so they don't seem so annoying and/or pointless.

Lana
Holy shit...

Captain REX
Lana liked the last two episodes. oh

Ushgarak
Heh!

General Kaliero
Holy shit...

Really can't sum it up better than that...

*squees in anticipation for the next seasons*

Lana
Originally posted by Captain REX
Lana liked the last two episodes. oh

However did you get THAT impression?

Yes. I did. Why the hell wasn't the rest of the series that good. I mean yeah, cheesy CGI monster was a bit...cheesy...but still.

Captain REX
Hush, you! I only have 33% of the last one downloaded. ermm

But #12 was already pretty damned amazing. It seems kinda like it's all been leading up to that in various aspects.

Eclipso
I liked the last episode, emotion, drama suspense, Gwen being a decently interesting character. Where the hell was this the rest of the series????

Koenig

barand1

Koenig
The difference's between Torchwood and The Sara Jane Adventures is this. Torchwood is a bloody disgraceful off shoot from Dr Who, I regard it as a insult to Dr Who and I am not the only one who thinks this.

Ushgarak
Calling two guys kissing soft porn makes me seriously call your judgment into question, Koenig. I've seen more intense stuff on Grange Hill, frankly. I am beginning to have contempt for such complaints.

I shall quote the Daily Telegraph about the last episodes, a paper which has fair panned the series so far.

"Russel T Davies' sci-fi spin-off only rarely displayed the flashes of brilliance that lit up his Doctor Who revival... what it really lacked was the credibility that comes from consistently strong storylines. That said, they pulled out all the stops for the series' spectacular concluding double bill... With its uncommonly convincing script and teriffic special effects, this finale also held out the hope that Torchwood itself might come back stronger when it returns later this year."

Fair comment. The big monster wasn't all that great but I've seen much worse and the plot itself was absolutely fine and I was verg happy.

People can get stuck into cliches of criticism after a bad start and loe the ability to look at something objectively. The fact is that if this was the quality of the average Torchwood episode, no-one would be complaining.

barand1
Too be honest, I haven't really watch the last couple of episodes. Torchwood disspointed me with that episode ("Countrycide"wink, which ripped everything already seen in horror films... and bad ones at that.

"The story features homages to several other films and television series, including The Blair Witch Project (initial camping scenes), Psycho (Kilner jars in the cellar), The Village (hooded figures in the forest), Jeepers Creepers (a monster that awakens every twenty-three years to harvest people for organs), Shaun Of The Dead (barricading themselves in the pub), Texas Chainsaw Massacre (a group of cannibals and Toshiko's joke about putting people on meathooks), and various Hammer House of Horror episodes (abandoned village/strange villagers). In the Torchwood Declassified accompaniment, Russell T. Davies described his desire to "do The Hills Have Eyes".

The episode shares similarities with the Supernatural episode "The Benders" which is also the first episode of the series where the menace appears at first to be a mythical beast (as per the series norm) only to turn out to be Human."

^^Taken from Wikipeadia^^

Since then I haven't really watched it. I keep missing it overall now though. I think the interest is there, but I'm sure if I go back and watch the ones I've missed that I might start getting back into it. I still think though that as a whole it has been a disappointment.

vintageSW77

The episode shares similarities with the Supernatural episode "The Benders"

its not the only thing it shares in common with that episode
i watched the last hour and thought it was ok
it was good to see Murray Melvin as the villain
he held a door open once for me and my gf once and he was very pleasant(even though i did embarrass myself asking if he was in KEN RUSSELS THE DEVILS which he is)
nice Doctor Who/tardis link up at the end
poor CGI demon though
i hate CGI demons they remind me of SPAWN

Koenig
Now the dust has settled and yes I have been the biggest critic of Torchwood I am prepared to give it a second chance. Let's see good solid story lines and better acting, dump the borderline soft porn and bad language it's not welcomed and not needed in the show. Just to add to this comment I am writing to the BBC pointing out why this show has been a let down and hoping there will be a big shake up for the better when series two comes along.

You lot are very lucky my boss who is her 50's and is a big Dr Who fan is not a member here as her remarks on Torchwood would make your eyes pop out.

barand1
Originally posted by Koenig
Just to add to this comment I am writing to the BBC pointing out why this show has been a let down .

You lot are very lucky my boss who is her 50's and is a big Dr Who fan is not a member here as her remarks on Torchwood would make your eyes pop out.

Ha ha. You do make me giggle Koenig. I would love to meet your boss. Maybe me, you and her could hook up one night? Just kidding. I'm gonna give it a second chance too, and if series two (!) is an improvement (to say the least) then I will buy this series on DVD... just as a way of saying sorry. But then again I might not.

Lana
I still don't get how two guys making out is even borderline soft core porn. It's two people freaking kissing. I'll bet anything you couldn't care less about that were it a guy and a girl or two girls.

Torchwood isn't Doctor Who, stop trying to think like it is.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>