IGN's Top 20 PS2 Games of all time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OB1-adobe
Discuss your opinions on that:

1. GTA San Andreas
2. Madden 2005
3. Metal gear solid 3
4. Final Fantasy X
5. Gran Turismo 4
6. Socom II
7. Need for Speed Undeground 2
8 Tekken 5
9. Kingdom Hearts
10. Soul Calibur 2
11. GTA Vice City
12. Mortal Kombat V deadly alliance
13. Medal Of Honor: Frontline
14. Burnout 3
15. Tony Hawk proskater 3
16. God of War
17. NBA street
18. Final Fantasy X-2
19. ESPN NFL 2k5
20. Gran Turismo 3

This came out of a free magazine you can get at Best Buy.
It was compiled by ign's staff so I don't know, any game you feel got gipped.

Personaly I was suprised GTA 3 was not in there, but I guess 3 gta games on the list would be pushen it.

TwisterGameX
Metal gear is up...yes!

Lana
Kinda surprised FFX-2 was on there as it honestly wasn't THAT great a game (and this is coming from a huge FF fan)...but I guess there are only so many games and it still is better than many games out there.

TwisterGameX
I love ign but it's not the best site for putting top anything.

Victor Von Doom
Very clever, missed out the only good game (PES).

Actually, TH3 is good.

Lana
I think San Andreas being #1 is quite overrated.

Honestly, as much as I like the GTA games (they're a good way to waste time and vent anger), they're rather overrated in general. I fail to see what's so revolutionary about roaming a city, being a gangster, and killing hookers.

Silverstein
Originally posted by Lana
I think San Andreas being #1 is quite overrated.

Honestly, as much as I like the GTA games (they're a good way to waste time and vent anger), they're rather overrated in general. I fail to see what's so revolutionary about roaming a city, being a gangster, and killing hookers.

-its not over rated, i know so much people that love that game. Its a great single player experience, but some people dont like it because its a mature game, that allows you to kill anyone including prostitues and such. Still funny though.

-ffx-2: the characters and story was good, and the battle system, superb, i love all the games that are listed, specifically Kingdom Hearts: reminded me of child hood memories

TwisterGameX
Originally posted by Silverstein
its not over rated, i know so much people that love that game. Its a great single player experience, but some people dont like it because its a mature game, that allows you to kill anyone including prostitues and such. Still funny though.

Good thing the one for psp has no bad stuff in it....well so I heard...I want to get it Happy Dance

Lana
-its not over rated, i know so much people that love that game. Its a great single player experience, but some people dont like it because its a mature game, that allows you to kill anyone including prostitues and such. Still funny though.

-ffx-2: the characters and story was good, and the battle system, superb, i love all the games that are listed, specifically Kingdom Hearts: reminded me of child hood memories

I DO like the GTA games. I'm just saying that people make them out to be the best games ever made (like Halo), though they're not.

And FFX-2 was a complete disappointment in comparison to FFX. It had a good story, but it didn't even come in until halfway through the game. The battle system was fun, but I wasn't too happy with how they portrayed the characters, Yuna and Rikku in particular. Yuna was even more annoying than in FFX, and they turned Rikku into a dumb blond.

TwisterGameX
Yeah halo is very good but way to over rated, I guess since at the time the xbox did not have that much good games. Also I keep hearing that FF7 was the best out of all.

Silverstein
ya, Halo IS over rated. I heard so much about it, but when i saw my friend play i was like "meh, who cares" but the multiplayer was fun, but what multiplayer death match isnt fun eh?

TwisterGameX
ya, Halo IS over rated. I heard so much about it, but when i saw my friend play i was like "meh, who cares" but the multiplayer was fun, but what multiplayer death match isnt fun eh?

I give it that it's the most fun shooter out there but 007 for n64 still is the best game(shooter) ever made(multiplayer)

Smasandian
What the hell is Medal of Honor doing on that list.
It's soo bad.

OB1-adobe
I'm surprised that MK is on there.

JKozzy
I don't really agree with that list, at all.

Zone of the Enders 2 should be on there... it is on my list. Short but brilliant game, never gets old. GTA is anything but the "best game ever." They're fun, but not on any of my top 10 lists. Maybe on the top 20, maybe.

Silverstein
maybe the list is the top 20 games that made a lot of money

steverules
Warhammer 40,000: fire warrior is a great game and is a real challenge. Smack down here come's the pain is the most amazing wrestling game and is even good for those aren't a fan of wrestling. Burnout 3 took me a year to complete cause I gave up but was bored one day and completed the rest of it in about a week. Time crisis 3, short but fun. Tekken 4, I found it to be (some will disagree I know) better than 5 (here we go with the humourous comments about how I know nothing about good games).

Silverstein
Originally posted by steverules
Burnout 3 took me a year to complete cause I gave up but was bored one day and completed the rest of it in about a week.

how can you get bored of Burnout 3... confused ...burnout revenge is amazing too

steverules
I tried to do levels that I couldn't do and eventually gave up, I never said I got bored, and then a year later I decided to complete it cause I had completed every other game.

Victor Von Doom
-its not over rated, i know so much people that love that game.

Not the best refutation.

Silverstein
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Not the best refutation.

over rated means that its not as good as its you'd think, because of hype and other people. GTA SA, is a very good game, ill put it at that

Victor Von Doom
Many rate it as the greatest game of all time.

Lana
Which is overhyping it. Because it is NOT the best game. Fun, but not particularly anything special.

Overrated means that it's given more credit than it deserves.

Silverstein
Which is overhyping it. Because it is NOT the best game. Fun, but not particularly anything special.

Overrated means that it's given more credit than it deserves.

a lot of people like this game, and bought it, thats why its so successful, and thats why its still going.

Lana
That doesn't mean it's one of the best games ever. Popular doesn't always have anything to do with how good it actually is; music is a good example of this.

The GTA games are not the best ever, and the only real reason they're anything special is because you get to roam a big map, and perform acts of senseless violence.

Silverstein
That doesn't mean it's one of the best games ever. Popular doesn't always have anything to do with how good it actually is; music is a good example of this.

The GTA games are not the best ever, and the only real reason they're anything special is because you get to roam a big map, and perform acts of senseless violence.

its popular because it is good. performing acts of senseless violence(in a game) is fun, and you can choose to actually do a mission when you want to. This game is the best ever on ps2. sure the graphics arent very good, but a lot of people dont care about graphics.

Lana
They are good games, but they're not great. Like I said, something being popular doesn't necessarily have a thing to do with it being good, just it targetting a certain audience. And the GTA series is FAR from being the best games ever for PS2, there are many more that are far superior.

TwisterGameX
I have not playe dthe system ones

Wolf Dog

But you make it sound like its a bad thing. It's special because you had the freedom to do all of these things. It would've been just as good without the adult content.

Lana
The thing is, it's for those reasons that people think it's the best game ever, even though there are many games that are much better.

Wolf Dog
Yah, you gotta point there sadly. But i think it is one of the best games ever because i can't think of any other game within its genre that is better than GTA. Of course there's better games outside the genre but inside, no.

Victor Von Doom
As Lana said, popularity doesn't make a game good- if anything, it's often a sign of overrating.

The word 'freedom' is used too loosely about those games. They are definitely overrated in that respect.

However, I believe the last word should go to Rolling Stone magazine, which supplied the quote on the cover of the latest version of the GTA trilogy available to buy:

'It's not just a new frontier for games, it's a new frontier for humanity.'

And that's the end of that chapter.

Silverstein
The thing is, it's for those reasons that people think it's the best game ever, even though there are many games that are much better.

they're are probably games better than GTA SA, but this game is one of the most popular on ps2, it sold a lot too. I heard that Beyond Good & Evil was a great game, but was over looked, but what is a good game without popularity?

Lana
There are plenty of good games that are overlooked and not terribly popular. Just like in real life, popularity doesn't mean a thing when it comes down to it.

No probably about it, there ARE better games than GTA.

Silverstein
There are plenty of good games that are overlooked and not terribly popular. Just like in real life, popularity doesn't mean a thing when it comes down to it.

No probably about it, there ARE better games than GTA.

if no one likes the game, then is it any good???

Lana
Not being popular doesn't mean that no one likes it nor does it mean it's not any good. The only games that become massively popular are the ones that are hyped and advertised to hell, but not all games have that. Katamari Damacy is one of my favorite games at the moment -- it's a simple, fun, and great game. But it's not hugely popular or heard of. This doesn't mean it's not any good.

JKozzy
Ico is a prime example. Not very popular, but a superb game. It got Game of the Month in OPM, I believe, and remains a true favorite of theirs, regardless of its popularity. Some great games just aren't marketed correctly (i.e. Beyond Good and Evil.)

TwisterGameX
the things where you role around in a ball and collect the sun...I think thats part 2 we love katamari..

Silverstein
Not being popular doesn't mean that no one likes it nor does it mean it's not any good. The only games that become massively popular are the ones that are hyped and advertised to hell, but not all games have that. Katamari Damacy is one of my favorite games at the moment -- it's a simple, fun, and great game. But it's not hugely popular or heard of. This doesn't mean it's not any good.

but there is a reason why GTA is advertised, because it is a great game! theres no other game like this, that is better(so far). You cannot compare Grand Theft Auto San Andreas to Katarmi Damacy: it is hugely popular probably in japan.

Lana
Originally posted by TwisterGameX
the things where you role around in a ball and collect the sun...I think thats part 2 we love katamari..

They just made a sequel to it, yeah.

but there is a reason why GTA is advertised, because it is a great game! theres no other game like this, that is better(so far). You cannot compare Grand Theft Auto San Andreas to Katarmi Damacy: it is hugely popular probably in japan.

There are plenty of games that can be compared to GTA and beat it. Plain and simple. It's a good game, but NOT the best ever. Plenty of games that are advertised also turn out to be flops, remember.

Wolf Dog
^Most of them nowadays.

Silverstein
There are plenty of games that can be compared to GTA and beat it. Plain and simple. It's a good game, but NOT the best ever. Plenty of games that are advertised also turn out to be flops, remember.

i dont remember but did I say it is the best ever? anyways, this is all of a matter of opinion. There are a lot of games now that are following the GTA free roam trend. In this game you have the choice to go around do what you want, or do missions.

Alpha Centauri
You can't do what you want in GTA. You can go around a big city and explore a bit.

You can't go into any building. You can't do anything you want. Driving around a big city between missions doesn't mean you can do anything in the city.

The Merovingian said it best: "Choice is an illusion created between those with power, and those without."

In this case, the games makers aren't giving you freedom. They're giving you simply another choice than to play the game missions. They've not gave you freedom, just the ability to not play the game.

-AC

Silverstein
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
You can't do what you want in GTA. You can go around a big city and explore a bit.

You can't go into any building. You can't do anything you want. Driving around a big city between missions doesn't mean you can do anything in the city.

The Merovingian said it best: "Choice is an illusion created between those with power, and those without."

In this case, the games makers aren't giving you freedom. They're giving you simply another choice than to play the game missions. They've not gave you freedom, just the ability to not play the game.

-AC

ok, you cant do anything or everything you want to but, you have A LOT of choices. Choices as small as, deciding what your character should wear, to taking over territories and improving your rep. and GTA also has a hell of a lot of bonus things to do, like taxi missions or those crazy stunt bonuses.

Another great example of a free roam...violent...game is Mercenaries. Allows you to make friends or enemies with other factions, and lets you finish your missions any way you want.

Victor Von Doom
ok, you cant do anything or everything you want to but, you have A LOT of choices. Choices as small as, deciding what your character should wear, to taking over territories and improving your rep. and GTA also has a hell of a lot of bonus things to do, like taxi missions or those crazy stunt bonuses.

You have a lot of choices in many games. What's the point being made?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.