cult fantasy films

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

poitiers
Have you noticed how so many fantasy films achieve cult status. I'm thinking this is mainly because of their distinctive look (in contrast to present day films). Or could it be cos fantasy fans are more rabid?

Dim
Yeah, fantasy fans are more rabid laughing out loud

I think one possible reason why that happens is because there's a part of people who connect with one film or another in a way because the see a would that they would personally like to (on some level) be part of...or see characters that the would like to look and act like. It kind of more easily harkens back to when you're a kid and daydream of being somewhere else.

And of course there's always the art factor..fantasy films are artistic appreciation outlet for a lot of people.

ToMacco
What's a fantasy film?

BackFire349
the neverending story is the best fantasy film of all time.

ToMacco
smokin' Yeah, that's cool, man. I love that flick.

poitiers
I hadn't thought to define fantasy film. But lemmesee now...

Something set in an alternate reality, often with mostly normal qualities, but with a few major differences such as the presence of a magical or fantastic realism. Where unearthly qualities are accepted as fact such as the Force, the power of the rings, the existence of wizards or dragons etc.

Anyone able to come up with a more concrete definition?

BackFire349
also labirynth is cool, lord of the rings, star wars of course, howard the duck.

Gundark
The Rocky Horror Picture Show is a big cult film.

Although not necessarily on my "view constantly" list.

BackFire349
thats not really fantasy though.

night fett
I would of thought star wars a sci fi movie aswell.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.