Has your opinion of ROTS changed since you first saw it?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

amity75
Were you disappointed with the movie when it came out but now like it?
Or is it the other way about?

chinabing
No. My opinion's the same. It's the year's best movie.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by amity75
Were you disappointed with the movie when it came out but now like it?

EXACTLY

I didnt hate it, I was just dissappointed and thought it could have been better. But it's since grown on me.

JKozzy
My opinion has since weakened, actually. But that's just me messed

DeVi| D0do
I don't think it holds up too well on repeat viewings... I find myself liking it less each time I see it.

JKozzy
My thoughts exactly. Especially if you only re-watch a portion.

kegs202
From the start right up until Mace goes to arrest palps I thought was very childish, silly gags and silly sounds from the battle droids in particular. But from the palps and mace scene onwards I thought and still think it is a fantastic movie.

The Ones
I loved all of it and still think its better than the originals. Go ahead call me crazy but thats my opinion.

Ast
I like it much more now then when I first saw it.

overlord
Only the Yoda/Sidious fight is a big stain on the whole movie, it should definately be deleted. Actually Lucas should have just let Sidious' whole face intact, it looks gayer than ever now.
And the Padme quickly getting children and dying was a useless scene too.

JKozzy
Yeah, after Vader's immolation, I kinda want the movie to just.... end. Either that or Mecha-Vader action, but that didn't happen.

amity75
Now I've watched it about 5 times on DVD I can appreciate it so much more and take in all the effects. Some minor niggles though, Obi Wans eyes seem to change colour throughout the film (They go very dark, especially during the duel) and when Vader is being created and the mask is being lowered he doesn't have the chin section of the mask in place yet it's magically there 2 seconds later when the mask is connected. Trivial I know but it JUST ANNOYS ME!

Adamwankenobi
My opinion is exactly the same. ROTS is THE BEST of all the films, period. Cast your childhood nastalgia/fanboyisms aside, and you will see.

SS_181st_Snow
Originally posted by The Ones
I loved all of it and still think its better than the originals. Go ahead call me crazy but thats my opinion.

Blasphemy! We must burn this one!

chinabing
when Vader is being created and the mask is being lowered he doesn't have the chin section of the mask
Dammit, don't SAY that! Now every time I look at ROTS I'm going to be locked onto that error.

It's like always looking for the stormtrooper who bonks his head, or Luke jumping off the Carbon Freezing platform and rising again because the actor landed on a trampoline.

JKozzy
I'm pretty sure the Carbon Freezing was intentional... he IS up in the pipes afterward messed

Tangible God
Palpatine cackling like a fool, and Vader screaming like a big, f*ckin, pussy, Frankenstein. It gets me everytime.

Spearhead
Only thing that bugs me is Palpy's voice...especially when he starts repeating "no, no!" ...eurgh

overall though, it hasn't changed much in my mind...still an awesome movie

overlord
Originally posted by Adamwankenobi
My opinion is exactly the same. ROTS is THE BEST of all the films, period. Cast your childhood nastalgia/fanboyisms aside, and you will see.

nostalgia, fanboyism? The OT are just well thought up.
I like episode III, but some of the story was just useless transition to the OT and overkill of duels.
The Dooku dying and Mace's death scene were great though.

Adamwankenobi
Here's everyone's problem who categorically hates the prequels:

They can't seem to quite get that the films haven't gotten any worse, the people themselves have just grown older and expect the films to grow with them, and be the way THEY want them to be. And everyone gets mad at Lucas becuase he isn't Hollywood, and doesn't compromise his vision for popularity or some trend.

Prince Nauj
even though rots is my favorite when I bought it yesturday and watched it, it was quite boring for me. I noticed all the cheesy sayings etc. but maybe its cause Ive seen it many times.

vader519
Not at all. I still think ROTS is the best star wars film.

Prince Nauj
true, just for the special effects though

to much cgi though, gl gets carried away sometimes

Canadadude
ROTS has grown on me a bit. I like a lot of what Lucas did with it, but there are a lot of plot holes in this movie.

JenR1215
I'm started to get a little bored watching sum of the scenes shutup

It IS a good movie.. bu they could of made it a lil' more intense.

Sith Master X
My opinion has stayed the same. It's my favorite out of the 6.

amity75
My kid is 6 years old and he sits with his jaw on the floor when he watches it. And it brings a tear to this veteran star wars fans eye to see that happening.cry

chinabing
Watch any movie over and over and over again, and you'll begin to hate it. It'd be like eating macaroni & cheese day after day after day. It's like a prison, watching it again and again and again.

Sith Master X
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
EXACTLY

I didnt hate it, I was just dissappointed and thought it could have been better. But it's since grown on me.

I bet you that looking at all those pics, and reading all the spoilers didn't help matters any. stick out tongue

SlickRick69
I only just saw ROTS for the first time, bought the DVD...

my initial opinion is that it was a great end to the PT, and a decent set-up for the OT.

I'll have to watch it again to really answer the question...

I sat thru Episodes 1 thru 4 and it seemed to all fit together well, except for one thing, probably mentioned several thousand times here, but I couldn't find a suitable thread using the search function:

When Padme has the babies, if only she hadn't named them...

kinda kills the buzz for a first timer sitting thru the eps in sequence 1-6, knowing in ep 3 the big secret that was 'originally' revealed in ep 6.

Shoulda just showed the birth of at least one baby, maybe shown the second twin born, but not engendered the babies, and certainly not named them both, preserving the integrity of the secret connection between Luke and Leia, until the big reveal in Ep 6...

still, overall, I was impressed with the final chapter, and pleased how well it tied things together, even given a few minor holes here and there...

chinabing
I think you're right slick rick. The best way for a newbie to watch them would be to watch 4, 5, 6, then 1, 2, 3. Even though my gf watched them sequentially and found them enjoyable, maybe the way most of us watched it is the best way. It's a hard choice for newbies.

But you can only watch them for the first time once!

spencerspider
lol yea but I still think it is the best out of the six.

CORYCAS
Happy Dance I love this movie more and more. I saw it numerous times in the theatre and now on DVD and it gets better and better. I fear that I may need to buy a second DVD because I know I will run the first DVD ragged.

ROTS ROCKS rock

Dr.Gumby
I Didnt like nearly as much on dvd just because i think the whole "holy hell a new star wars kickass"effect was kinda lost.

kalsemo
Originally posted by CORYCAS
Happy Dance I love this movie more and more. I saw it numerous times in the theatre and now on DVD and it gets better and better. I fear that I may need to buy a second DVD because I know I will run the first DVD ragged.

ROTS ROCKS rock

yes

I concur!!!!!!!! I'll be doing the same!!!!

palpy_666
ROTS is deffinately the most entertaining steaming pile of Sith this side of Polis Massa.

My opinion has stayed the same, it is the greatest of all six Star Wars films. Everything was done entirely perfect. I wouldn't change anything about the film.

And for those who say Palpatine's voice is cooky and strange, I say stfu. It was meant to be that way. He is an eccentric, evil, powerful old man hell bent on controlling the Galaxy... of course he will sound strange. This is what I love most about his character (besides his overall menacing personality).

truejedi
Originally posted by Sith Master X
I bet you that looking at all those pics, and reading all the spoilers didn't help matters any. stick out tongue
yeah, I honestly wish I hadn't known what was going to happen (by reading the book or whatever) before i saw rots for the first time. I kept waiting for this to happen or that to happen instead of enjoying what was going on.

I loved ROTS the first 2 times i saw it. I was watching the DVD today, and I don't know, it just wasn't as exciting anymore. The saber fights don't look realistic. Why doesn't Palpatine just skewer mace when mace swings and misses early in their dual? why does yoda fall? Why does dooku pause just before getting his arms chopped off? Why Why Why? its ripping the movie apart for me, but i still love it.

tlbauerle
Actually...

The beginning of the film gets worse and worse...

...the middle gets longer and longer...

...and the end gets better and better.

chinabing
I was lucky I never saw ANY previews nor read the book before seeing it in theaters. I RAN out of theaters when they started showing previews, viewed only spoiler-free boards, etc.

No film is perfect. Especially when watching lightsaber battles, you can tell when they're coreographed (sp) on multiple viewings. I mean, I've seen Ep I dozens of times and I wonder why Obi-Wan spins around so much, and so slowly! He does it because it looks cool. But watching it multiple times makes you nit-pick because you already know the drama, and are searching for something else to hold your attention.

DirectorFitz
I think they're all equally great, except Episode I didn't feel very Star Wars like...it was more like a violent Disney movie....But I still have to admit that Duel of Fates was one of the best fights out of the saga

DeVi| D0do
Okay, I just watched Sith again the whole way through for the first time since the theatre...

I have to say, the film really doesn't hold up well on multiple viewings. The first half is very weak, and at times a chore to sit through. What I like about ESB is how everything is so fast... it doesn't take forever to get across a point. Han and Leia fell in love in two scenes. And it worked. ROTS is tedious... Lucas has said time and again he sucks at writing... but he still doesn't get help (or the right help) to fix it. He says he doesn't like talking heads, and yet much of the film is just that. I think the only thing that makes some of those scenes watchable is the music. In fact throughout the film I was still amazed a Williams's work. It is truly outstanding.

The end of the film I still like. From Order 66 onwards my opinion has changed little. That is to say, it's not as great as it could have been but its still good. I just miss the emotion is the Obi/Ani duel... The only emotive thing there is the music. I wanted more... more feeling, more bantering, just more... I don't really care for all these fancy moves and huge jumps... I want emotion, becuase this should be the most emotional battle of them all...

The "NOOOOO!" still cracks me up in all its 5.1 Surround Sound (THX Certified, of course) glory. But I love it. big grin

Originally posted by tlbauerle
Actually...

The beginning of the film gets worse and worse...

...the middle gets longer and longer...

...and the end gets better and better.
yes Truer words were never spoken... or typed.

FullOfSith
when i saw it the first time i thought grievous character was underplayed. my opinion has changed.

i thought the battle droid voices were absolutely ridiculous, now its somewhat funny

i thought order 66 was the perfect length, now i think it's too short.

i was mad that the Anakin vs. Obi duel was cut with Yoda vs. Palpatine because we were originally told it would be 11 minutes uncut.

i missed Dooku's presence and didnt like his quick death, now im ok with it.

first showing i missed all the rebel alliance scenes, now i realized it would have really slowed the film down (not that i still would like to see them make it into the movie)

first time through i didnt notice little mistakes, now i kill myself everytime i find something (plo koons actis jedi starfighter cockpit when he's flying a delta 2)

was mad that it wasnt more like the book, now im respecting the book as an expansion of the movie (tho the book freakin rocks)

but Revenge of the Sith rocks, and i love it.

ESB- 1138
I miss the feeling you get right when you see Obi-Wan and Anakin throw off their robes right before they fight.
Up to the part when Obi/Ani fail to get Grievous was awesome.
Ani/Padme to Obi's leaving was boring. (Nothing but talking)
Then it gets a lot better with Obi vs. Grievous then Grievous is defeated and it goes to Mace vs. Sidious. 2 awesome fights but too short for my taste. Order 66 begins and the jedi die and then it slows down a little with Yoda and Obi-Wan but it heats up again with Anakin vs. Obi-Wan and Yoda vs. Sidious. Best PT movie of them all.

preysin
No my opion has not change. i still think that episode I II and III are better than the original star wars trilogy.

Captain REX
I have only seen ROTS twice, and I have yet to buy the DVD...

Preysin, how can you say that? HOW?!

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by ESB- 1138

Ani/Padme to Obi's leaving was boring. (Nothing but talking)

Yes, because we ALL know how much talking in a film actually ruins it. laughing out loud

And Rex, he got ahold of some bad weed is the only thing I can figure.

chinabing
When Obi-Wan discovers it's Anakin who's turned to the dark side, I wondered about Ewan's acting there. It didn't have a lot of oomph that kind of ultimate betrayal earned. I don't know, maybe that's just how Obi-Wan is. And Yoda seemed to already know it was Anakin.

DeVi| D0do
I thought it was pretty obvious Yoda knew it was Anakin...

That scene disappointed me as well... should have been much more powerful.

Sith Master X
Originally posted by Captain REX
I have only seen ROTS twice, and I have yet to buy the DVD...

Preysin, how can you say that? HOW?!

Because everybody is different and has their own opinions. It doesn't make them right of course. I happen to agree with him. I like the PT better than the OT. Why? Well, it's just me. I love all 6 of the movies, but the first 3 are my favorites, and it's probably because I like the overall story of the first half better.

darthvader_fan
my opinon has never been stronger

THE MOVIE FECKING ROCKS

JKozzy
There is more story, I feel, to the Prequel saga, though I like the OT better. I can see why you like them better, SMX. The OT seemed more fun to me, though.

Wolfie
I found more things wrong with it since the first time I saw it.

starwarsrules14
I still think it is one of the best SW films out there, and it is still powerful, but after multiple viewings it kinda loses that awe-inspiring effect it had in theatres. In theatres it was like "Wow this is so cool" at home it is like "Ok what do I do with it now?" But I will continue to watch it and enjoy every minute of it big grin

WindDancer
Saw it again.....To be honest, I wanted to like it. But I just couldn't. Sure the first 15 minutes were cool. After that I just couldn't watch it anymore. The dialogue still is boring. The whole thing with the Frankestein Darth Vader screaming "NOOOOOO" was cheesy. The scene of Order 66 feels like a rip-off of the Godfather. That scene with Padme, Obi, and Anakin felt like a scene of soap opera love triangle.

One thing I did discover is that the Jedis are just Overrated. Only Obi, Anakin, and Yoda are well trained and can fight. The rest are boring and get kill too easily.

Oh, I'm still piss off that Lucas didn't include a young Han Solo! Instead he gives us Jar-Jar!

*beep*

PVS
Originally posted by WindDancer
The scene of Order 66 feels like a rip-off of the Godfather.

its a montage of systematic killing...how could it not have played out like that?

Originally posted by WindDancer
Oh, I'm still piss off that Lucas didn't include a young Han Solo! Instead he gives us Jar-Jar!

funny, i was overjoyed when GL decided not to do that scene

amity75
Probably the worst effect it has had on me is that by the end of it I was actually rooting for the Empire and was kind of seeing the Jedi the way Anakin saw them i.e. Out of fashion interfering goody goodies.
Only bad films make you root for the bad guys.

queeq
Since watching it on DVD I kinda had the same feel I had with TPM and AOTC: it's all a bit slick and at distance. It seems to lack a soul, a spirit.

exanda kane
Originally posted by amity75
Probably the worst effect it has had on me is that by the end of it I was actually rooting for the Empire and was kind of seeing the Jedi the way Anakin saw them i.e. Out of fashion interfering goody goodies.
Only bad films make you root for the bad guys.

totally agree with you here.

And I like the idea of a Godfather rip-off montage to end the Jedi - favourite part of RotS, so sorry, only good part of RotS.

queeq
THere were more. I loved Ewan's OB1.... outstanding. And Ian was great (although I hate his rubber mask)

amity75
The speech between Anakin and Obi Wan before they duel IS fantastic and could be the best dialogue in the entire 6 movies though I suppose it had to be.

exanda kane
Originally posted by queeq
THere were more. I loved Ewan's OB1.... outstanding. And Ian was great (although I hate his rubber mask)

He seemed to tense for me, too nervous. But then I suppose It was a shock for me in comparison to ultra calm Ben in ANH.

freemind
I didn't like some of the dialog. I didn't like Sidous some of the time. I liked his transformation at first. Is it just me or did the structure of his face keep changing. At first he had a but crack on his head, then later on he seemed a little normal like the way he was before the lightning, then during the Yoda/Sidious fight he looked fat when they did the close ups on his face when the chanceller thingy was rising up. He also cackled way to much, and when he wasn't cackling he was whining like a *****.

darkjedi132
i was slightly dissapointed

darthvader_fan
I think i liked it better in theaters

It just didnt have that same effect as it did in the movie theater

queeq
Originally posted by exanda kane
He seemed to tense for me, too nervous. But then I suppose It was a shock for me in comparison to ultra calm Ben in ANH.

He better be tense. There's a war going on, he has to fight and Grievous. And he feels the Jedi ,losing control and Anakin slipping to the Dark Side. PLenty of reason to be tense.

And as for Ben... after 20 years in the desert, there's plenty of practise to be ultra calm.

amity75
I'm OK with the "Nooooooooo" scene now but Grievous loses cool points because of his stupid pantomine villain voice. His voice just makes him seem unintelligent. He could have been a much more evil and "bad" villain if he didn't talk at all or had a similar voice to EPII Boba Fett.

queeq
Or the ESB Boba Fett voice, which was a lot better than Morrison.

DeVi| D0do
"A lot" doesn't begin to describe how much better the old ESB Boba Fett voice was...

amity75
Originally posted by queeq
Or the ESB Boba Fett voice, which was a lot better than Morrison. Oops, that's what I meant!

queeq
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
"A lot" doesn't begin to describe how much better the old ESB Boba Fett voice was...

I was being gentle. I really really miss it when I see the DVD.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.