What The **** Is Gametap?!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
I see the friggin commercials every goddamn five minutes. And they won't tell us exactly what it is!

powerfulone1987
Then go to it!

It is a site with a collection of old classic games and you pay a monthly fee of like 17 dollars but you can get a free trial.

Is it comprehensible.....

Draco69
17 bucks?! They is out they minds!

powerfulone1987
Yup, after I heard that , I was like adios muchacho.

is it comprehensible.....

SaTsuJiN
lol they really are out of their minds.. I think 5 bucks would have been a fair price..

as powerful would say... Gametap...Y'all have gone and done the worst thing in your whole life..........

El_NINO
Its actually pretty neet to see how far technology has come since the introduction of the game console. Look at the ATARI games, I remember my next door neighbor having ATARI when I was a kid and playing space invaders.

Draco69
If they had Playstation 1, SNES, N64 games THAN I would consider it...

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
lol they really are out of their minds.. I think 5 bucks would have been a fair price..

as powerful would say... Gametap...Y'all have gone and done the worst thing in your whole life..........

eek!

oh yeah!

TwisterGameX
what the hell is a gametap..I heard of gamestop.

powerfulone1987
Gametap is a site with old classic games you can play and you pay a monthly fee, it's all in the second post of this thread.

Read.

Is it comprehensible.....

forumcrew
just get an emulator takes up almost no space and is free

powerfulone1987
what's an emulator and how would that make it free when you have to pay a fee?

Draco69
It's an "illegal" program that allows you to play classic videogames for free. The files of videogames are called "roms". You can play nearly ANY classic videogame with an emulator.

El_NINO
I have some emulators

forumcrew
an emulator isnt illegeal.. a program that allows for a certain file type support breaks no laws. Copying the game information into rom format and publicly releasing them and distributing them online is what is illegeal because of copyright issues.

hotsauce6548
Well, I have 3 emulators and a ton of ROMs...

but, of course, I own all of the systems and games, and I am just using the emulators and ROMs as back-ups... shifty

powerfulone1987
You keep on repeating that over and over to yourself buddy.

Maybe someday you'll believe yourself.

calebdaguy
Im gonna kick this because I wanna spread the word.
Oh, I have GameTap, and am enjoying every second of it (its 15$ a month). And its not just old games, here are some new ones:
Beyond Good and Evil
Tropico: Mucho Macho
Splinter Cell
Mr Driller
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tommorrow
Worms Blast
Worms Armageddon
Vietcong: Purple Haze
Heroes of Might and Magic 4
Toy Commander
Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness
Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc
+ a ton more
It is awesome! All of the classics are digitally remastered

Koala MeatPie
Which reminds me... time to Go to Demonoid to fetch Worms Armageddon

Koala MeatPie

Koala MeatPie
Hum intrestnig, it says you have to download the apps on your computer.

Hummm So the games are on a database...

meaning they can be obtain very easy with soemthing such was WebSnake.

SaTsuJiN
yeah but the games are streamed onto your pc.. not stored..

if gametap didnt think of countermeasures to being looted, sucks for them.

Darthburgerking
or you could just get all the system emulators and download the games you want

Seraphim XIII
Gametap owns. It's NINE dollars a month and they have NES, SNES, PSX, N64, PC, Commodore 64, MAME, Atari .... The list goes on.

They currently have 800 games and the list goes up DAILY. They have some games that were released in the '00 and up.

It is great and I enjoy every minute of it.

King Kandy
I prefer ROMS... It has all the same things and doesn't cost you a dime.

Ushgarak
Well, aside from being legal... They have quite a few decent PC games as well.

Including the new release of the online Myst game.

§P0oONY
I just do it illegally... No effort, no cost, no morals, no problem.

G U I T A R
Yeah dude, it's totally not worth the price. I tried the free trial it was boring.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by hotsauce6548
Well, I have 3 emulators and a ton of ROMs...

but, of course, I own all of the systems and games, and I am just using the emulators and ROMs as back-ups... shifty

I was so silly.

Seraphim XIII
Gametap owns. No hassle you would have searching. It's all in front of you.

G U I T A R
Gametap FTL

Magee
How can they have ps2 games? Are they the proper versions or like the crappy mobile games u get of splinter cell etc? You can easily find these games for free on the net in rom format, except the pc and ps games etc.

edit: lol gametap is not available in my country, why does it matter where you are in the world? -.-

Lana
Hey guys?

Let's leave out the illegal talk.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Magee
How can they have ps2 games? Are they the proper versions or like the crappy mobile games u get of splinter cell etc? You can easily find these games for free on the net in rom format, except the pc and ps games etc.

edit: lol gametap is not available in my country, why does it matter where you are in the world? -.-

Apparently the biggest barrier is legal. The licensing arrangements in getting all the old games released has to be re-done for each country.

Still, you can play the new Myst Online game on there worldwide, and they expect to branch out into the UK this year.

SaTsuJiN
yikes.. ancient thread..

if you dont like gametap dont use it... theres no point bragging about being able to get roms cuz thats kiddie crap

InnerRise
How is that Myst Online game?

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Lana
I played it before when it was on a free server, the game itself can be very annoying and a complete pain in the ass at parts but it was pretty cool...and it was always fun when you'd hit a random glitch that would cause you to go out of the game boundaries.

Like how once I got stuck on a climbing wall and couldn't get down. That was amusing.

It's pretty, though big grin

Ush could answer better than I, though, as I only played briefly and am not currently playing it.

Ushgarak
Well, the bugs are fixed.

I'd give it a cautious recommendation. It is not year clear how well the meachanism for it being an MMO will work. The old puzzle ages are fine (except for the crap one). The new ones released so far have not been great, though they seem to be more experiments than they are full on bits of new material.

The theory is great- a non-violent MMO based on player interactive plot, social interaction and puzzle solving. Bits of the execution are great. But it's not entirely come together yet.

A guy like myself can enjoy it because I am really into that kind of thing. Still, some sort of mechanism will have to justify the subscription soon.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Lana
Hey guys?

Let's leave out the illegal talk. Emulators and roms aren't illegal unless their abused, it's not like we're really promoting it. (except for my little joke.)

I see no problem in talking about roms and emulators in a thread that can relate to it.

Ushgarak
Seeing as roms are illegal unless you actually own the game, there is no way for you to be referring to them as useful to have unless it is illegal talk.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Seeing as roms are illegal unless you actually own the game, there is no way for you to be referring to them as useful to have unless it is illegal talk.
But it's not like we're advertising it. There is nothing wrong with talking about things that are illegal, people talk about underage drinking and such in threads. We're not posting any links to any sites where downloading roms is possible and even if we were there are always disclaimers on the sites telling people that it's against the law unless used for backup purposes. Why not leave it up to the people to decide, they have every right to know about roms and emulators; they serve a use in a legal sense. It's fine for Lana to stop discussion on Roms and Emulators in a thread that doesn't relate to it at all, but this thread can. The fact that something can be against the law really shouldn't be taken in to account, we're not promoting breaking the law but simply stating that the option is there, from what I've read in this thread gametap can have something to do with retro gaming and roms can serve as an alternative, whether it's legality is there or not. It's just a discussion.

Lana
I would prefer that there is no illegal discussion at all.

ROMs themselves are not illegal but we all know very well that no one here that has any uses them legally.

Thus, there will be no discussion of them, especially as all the discussion of them that has occurred has been along the lines of "why pay for that when you can get it free this way." Because that is illegal.

And that ruling is NOT up for discussion.

§P0oONY
Censorship is Hitler's friend... mhm

stick out tongue

Whatever Lana, I disagree but you're the dictator of this here forum so I'll conform.

Mind if I shoot heroin while breaking in to my neighbours house?.. because that's totally awesome!

Ushgarak
We'll do without the ridiculous Hitler comparisons, thanks. Don't hassle mods just for doing their job.

back on topic please.

§P0oONY
We'll do without the ridiculous Hitler comparisons, thanks. Don't hassle mods just for doing their job.

back on topic please.

It was a joke... I think she'll realise that.

To be honest, I might give this free trial a whirl (if it is still there or whatever). I like retro gaming but I don't really see the point in paying monthly for it. I already own the games I think I want to play and the ones I don't own I can buy online for pence. There I will have them for life.

MadMel
Well, aside from being legal... They have quite a few decent PC games as well.

Including the new release of the online Myst game.
myst pwns, but online??..i dunno..
btw i realise im replying to an old post laughing out loud

Ushgarak
The Online thing makes more sense than you might think, though it is still early days.

MadMel
ah ok
so you work together to solve the puzzles, or just muck around and chat??
or both erm

Ushgarak
You can certainly do the puzzles co-operatively, yes.

And the community element is very big, yes.

The big deal is meant to be twofold:

1. The ongoing restoration process of the civilisation from the games is meant to be a big interactive plot which every player has a stake in and can change things

2. Eventually, you will be able to build your own ages (worlds), and puzzles within if you want them

MadMel
woah!! now that would kick serious ****

Ushgarak
Yup. Right now, though, it's a load of Myst-style puzzles, and that's nore or less it. They've released a few puzzles that require more than one person to solve, but none have been hugely inspiring as yet. We'll see.

MadMel
yea..i might join givin the chance..
please tell me it doesnt cost??

Ushgarak
Well, Gametap costs, of course. There's no purchase for the game needed but you have to be a GT member.

MadMel
ah, a shame..
maybe i can find another way "cough cough"

Ushgarak
Err, well, I doubt it.

MadMel
you underestimate me shifty

Ushgarak
Other than getting someone else to pay for you, I doubt that too.

MadMel
laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.