Republic rather younger than we thought

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Palpatine says in AOTC that the Republic has stood for a thousand years- which I guess dates it back to just after the Sith were last beaten.

But that is far younger than was assumed by many and by the EU, based on Obi-Wan's "Thousand Generations" line in ANH.

Certainly surprised me!

yerssot
think those "thousand years" were more like "a long long time" could me 12 thousand for example

Ushgarak
Not at all. The time scale he is talking about is clearly less than that or else he would have said "thousands of years."

Captain REX
In EU it was developed 25,000 years before TPM. But I guess he's saying 1,000 because the Republic almost crumbled when Exar Kun and his Sith Lords were trying to take it down. They almost succeeded, but the Sith lost and the Republic made itself stronger.

yerssot
EU

Captain REX
Duh. So? stick out tongue

yerssot
so it doesn't count

Captain REX
And? stick out tongue

yerssot
and your whole post is worth nada

Ushgarak
It could be split into numbered Republics like the French, but I have never heard anyone call it the "xth" Republic.

And Sio Bibble's comment that there has not been a full scale war since the foundation of the Republic does clearly rule out the 25,000 year thing. I would guess the last Sith war was full scale as well.

So I guess we all come to the opinion that the current Republic arose from the last Sith War. Presumably, of course, the Jedi were the guardians of civilisation long before that.

yerssot
perhaps a well-known history lesson?

jedi fernando
a thousand generations is less than a thousand years.

athousand years is about 3 to 5 thousand generations.

so a thousand generations is actually about 280 years.

mah
what the HECK are you one about???

Ushgarak
That is the WEIRDEST thing I have ever heard.

A generation is about 20-30 years, Fernando. A period of time in which children become adults. That's the whole point of differeng generations.

Halba
a thousand generations is roughly 20000 years

He-Man
Unless they make children in a very young age. wink

yerssot
does he say years or generations now?

Ushgarak
Palpatine says years. Obi-Wan said generations.

jedi fernando
i dont know how the heck i came up with that crap, sorry my math that day was realy shitty now i understand.

if family takes 4 generations to turn the century. in other words my great grand pa was born about 100 years before me.

so if 4 generations = 100 years
then 40 generations = 1000
therefore 1000 generations = 25 000 years

Ushgarak
Well, that's all a lot happier now!

queeq
IF you take 25 years per generation that is. It might be a bit longer these days.

yerssot
well, I like the +20 000 years more then the 1000 years one

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.