Why do jedi lead from the front?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gryn Jabar
Well? It doesn't make much sense. Instead of charging blindy into gunfire, why don't they simply direct their troops from the rear?

Darth Takáta
so they can kill more and set an example???

Gryn Jabar
Set an Example my ass, you mean getting your legs blown off and your skull ripped off is setting an example? Also, isn't it obvious that by leading by the rear (as per most armies nowadays), you can exercise better judgement, thus ending up with more enemy casualties?

Se7in
The Jedi were supposed to be selfless, brave warriors and diplomats, noy shrewd and cowardly generals.

Se7in
The Jedi were supposed to be selfless, brave warriors and diplomats, not shrewd and cowardly generals.

Ushgarak
They lead by example- and aside from anything else, they are of extreme use at the front.

They are heroes in a mythological story. Go with the flow.

jollyjim311
Good points, Se7in, both times. It may seem weird because they were leading clones, but it helps normal(non clone) troops spirits. I mean, who would you rather fight for, a General who is taking the same risk as you and fighting on the front lines or a General that says "No way, I'm risking my ass, that could be dangerous, you guys go do this and go here, I'll hang in the back.

Tangible God
The Jedi had an oath of allegiance to the Republic and to defend it at all costs, even if that meant taking to the battlefield to protect it. They were very wise, powerful, and the only people in the Republic, who could be trusted with that authority, and they were the only ones experienced enough in warfare and battle.

exanda kane
Some may argue that if they are against violence...but by leading from the front they make sure that the millions of clone troopers under there command dont all die...

Tangible God
The Jedi are against violence, yes...

But if they did NOT fight, then they knew that a Separtist Army would defeat the inexperienced Clones and ravage the galaxy FAR worse than the war did.

Gryn Jabar
Really? All I got was that they were trying to secede.

Illustrious
"You can't lead from the rear."

Tangible God
Under a SITH? Do you really think Dooku's just gonna leave everybody be after he wins?

Gryn Jabar
Originally posted by Illustrious
"You can't lead from the rear."
Tell that to any decent military leader from the last 200 years.

Strong_question
I think it was because THE JEDI thought they were smarter than others which was true most of the time. Also the army could back up the Jedi. It would make it easy for the Jedi to attack.ALso i think it was because a light saber can deflect a fire from a gun, so the clones could back up the jedi and could be shielded by the Jedi. I think also the movie makers wanted the Jedi to get the most action. These are my opinions

Darth Faunus
Originally posted by Gryn Jabar

Which there weren't very many of. . .

Illustrious
Originally posted by Gryn Jabar

That's a play on the word "lead."

And the last 200 years has a lot of leaders from the front. Leaders were expected to lead charges up until WWI, when trench warfare absolutely owned older Napoleonic tactics.

After that, war has been a game of precision and strategy, with a large honus on technology.

Jedi have short-range, melee weapons, and battles are largely fought with those outdated techniques that wouldn't work in actual combat. What do you expect them to do? Stand 5 miles from the scene and juggle their glowsticks?

Ianus
That would be hilarious if they did.

Gryn Jabar
If there's one thing I'd love to see, it's the jedi at the battle of Verdun.

bobcrickett
A Jedi in a WW1 battle... *shudder* Can you say 'constantly having to reflect repeater fire'?

Swanky-Tuna
Is leading by example really worth the loss of perspective on the battle?

Insane Monk
Wouldn't they just use gas on a jedi in a ww1 battle?

Council#13
Originally posted by Se7in
The Jedi were supposed to be selfless, brave warriors and diplomats, not shrewd and cowardly generals.

Precisely. This thread seems kind of pointless to me. But then Yoda didnt lead from the front in the Battle of Geonosis, but during the clone wars he did

Tangible God
Originally posted by Insane Monk
Wouldn't they just use gas on a jedi in a ww1 battle? If Obi-Wan and Quiggy can live through spouting poison gases, why should Mustard and Chlorine gas affect them?

Illustrious
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
Is leading by example really worth the loss of perspective on the battle?

What perspective? This isn't a Real Time Strategy game where you can simply see people form a god perspective.

Tangible God
What perspective? This isn't a Real Time Strategy game where you can simply see people form a god perspective. Those games kick ASS by the way.

Darth Koroni
Originally posted by Tangible God
Under a SITH? Do you really think Dooku's just gonna leave everybody be after he wins?

Dooku didn't seem to be content with being a Sith lord during Attack, he told Obi-wan about Sidious, he didn't kill Anakin, Yoda, and Obi-Wan when he had the chance, and he was a grey Jedi before Attack anyway.

Decay
i think their just alot more effective from the front. in combat theyd be the highest elite soldier you can find, and they can get in behind enemy lines alot easier than a clone trooper. the clones are diciplined enough that the death of a jedi wouldnt break morale, jedi arnt really trained at commanding troopers on the battle field. their trained to get in and take out the enemy (from a combat point of view). plus they can deflect alot more blaster shots from the front. their skills would be pretty useless if they were at the back. and i dont think their brilliant commanders. good, but not indespencible military mastermines. skill outweighs status.

Fishy
Because they weren't generals... They sucked as generals at best. They had to lead from the front to make quick dicisions based on what they see at the moment they had to trust on their instinct not their tactics. I mean just look at attack of the clones. The Jedi had the time to plan that battle and they still screwed up. They are not front line commanders not real generals.

exanda kane
...Fishy has spoken and yet again he is correct...

Swanky-Tuna
What perspective? This isn't a Real Time Strategy game where you can simply see people form a god perspective.
I wasn't suggesting it was.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Darth Koroni
Dooku didn't seem to be content with being a Sith lord during Attack, he told Obi-wan about Sidious, he didn't kill Anakin, Yoda, and Obi-Wan when he had the chance, and he was a grey Jedi before Attack anyway. Don't spout Grey Jedi crap, they're useless and out of place in SW.

Dooku was a Sith, he was trying to turn Obi to his side. And a Sith of all people will enjoy a public execution. Maybe he wanted all three friends to watch each other die. Very Sith-like.

And he didn't have a great oppurtunity to kill Yoda, they were quite deadlocked you'll notice. And he was about to cut open Obi's skull before Dumbass intervened.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.