Trials: Yoda And Sidious

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sorgo
Post downs opinions, theories and maybe some back-up proof of who defeated who, who was better, who was smarter and who made the bigger impact apon Star Wars.

Which one do you think is better? The ever-wise and agile Yoda? Or the Evil and Powerful Sidious?

Welcome the Trials. Have fun and be sure to keep everything Civil!

Based on a Thread Idea by Escape81

Escape81
Who defeated who: Stalemate. The published novels and website state that Sidious defeated Yoda, but this isn't the case. In fact, Yoda got the finishing blow. But Yoda was in a position where, to return against the Dark Lord, would be suicide. I believe, like Yoda with Dooku, Yoda would have won a prolonged battle.

Who was better: Depends on what you mean. Better at what?

Who was smarter: Sidious. He duped Yoda for about 14 years, and brought the end of the great Galactic Republic, and instituted the most powerful militaristic regime in galactic history. Oh, he definately won the intellectual war.

Who had the bigger impact: Yoda, of course. He is the more popular character by far. Probably second only to Vader. But as for the story, Sidious. Sidious converted the main character to evil, and caused the conflicts in which the story is centered around. The story needed a Sidious. The story did not necessarily need a Yoda (until OT times, where he was VERY important).

Sorgo
In the ROTS Script, It says Sidious is basically "Doomed" while fighting Yoda.

Escape81
But the script and the movie show separate things. Sidious didn't look as doomed as the script implies; but if you'd go back and look at my posts, you'd see that I said Yoda would've eventually won.

Darth_Glentract
Don't really have a lot to contribute at this moment, but it seems that a lot of people forget that Yoda has experince fighting Darksiders other than Sidious.

The Nightsisters.

It also seems that Yoda was tempted by the Darkside at one time. Somewhere he said, "I carry a darkness within me".

Not much, I know, but I don't have anything else right now.

Ianus
Is there a source I can check up on previous Yoda action? Only book I was aware of was Dark rendezvous.

Darth_Glentract
The Darkside or the Nightsisters?

There was some quote on the Darkside part, but it isn't known for sure.

The Nightsisters are mentioned in the Courtship of PRincess Leia and in the New Essential Guide to Chronolgy when Yoda, with the other jedi on the Chu'unthor battle the Nightsisters over the knowledge contained upon it. Yoda later had a vision of a young Jedi needing the knowledge one day, so he agreed to let the Nightsisters keep it until Luke(though he didn't know it was Luke at the time) came and got it.

Captain REX
Wikpedia says it, but I doubt you want to read it.

When the Chu'unthor, the space-bound Jedi training facility, crash landed on Dathomir, Nightsisters attacked the Jedi on board, Yoda and his companions had to fight them off.

Darth_Glentract
The New Essentail Guide to Chronology says it on page 30 and I was the person who put it on wiki.

Ushgarak
Moved

Darth_Glentract
Ack! EP3 forum.

bubbles33
well

GCG
I watched the duel in slo-mo and Sidious should have fallen down like yoda.

When they both back-fired from the lightening, Sidious was thrown backwards and there was no bar for him to hold on to. Then suddenly there was.

Actually its a movie mistake but whatever.

DeVi| D0do
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=352407&perpage=20&highlight=Yoda+vs+sidious&pagenumber=9

jrodslam
Who defeated who? - I'd say stalemate. Although Yoda retreating made it seem as if he lost. That would be an unfair statement considering he loist his saber and alot that in the final impact, Sidious had better grounding/grip than him.

Who was better? - Well when coming down to fighting skills, i say they were also about even. Force power wise, the darkside will usually always be more aggressive in battle than a lightside user. Yoda countered the lightning very well. Sids go a bit too overconfident and Yoda pushed is right back at his ass. Sids counldnt keep it going. He had to let up, which caused the burst that pushed them back. When hurling the pods, its way easier to throw something than it is to stop it while its already in motion and throw it back. Its hard to say who is better in that department.

Who was smarter? - Sids. Like stated before, he duped the Jedi for years. Hid his power in the force that even Yoda couldnt sense. He used the Jedi and everyone else as pawns. No doubts about it Sidious was smarter.

Who made a bigger impact on Star Wars? - Im gonna have to say Yoda. True Sids is the one who turned Anakin to the darkside. However it was Yoda who was the primary trainer of Luke who turned his fater back. He forewarned him about the Emperor "Do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor. Or suffer your fathers fate you will." Also the cave where he had to face a certain darkness. Bigger impact, id have to give to Yoda.

Bicnarok

exanda kane
Wiser you say? To be honest I doubt that. Jedi that go down the dark path (or are just plain sith!) lose there wisdom - please dont misundertsand me when I say that - and seem to gain a deviousness instead. For the Jedi are wise - by our standards (human that is) and they fit the stereotyping of wise-men almost perfectly.

The Sith, although genius and cunning, do not have that kind of wisdom. Yoda, as an equal or Sidious has this, while Sidious has a seemingly manic ingenius where he is able to perputrate his master plan without even raising an eyelid in his direction.

b-dan
i hate tham both and why was Sideous laughting threw out the whole battle

SpyCspider
Originally posted by b-dan
i hate tham both and why was Sideous laughting threw out the whole battle

cuz he was loving every single minute of it....fighting Yoda. He's probably thinking "i can't believe you didn't see this coming."

It's a cliche villain cackle.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.