What exactly is the Expanded Universe??????

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Budgie
What is it?

mah
books. comics, games etc. written by ithers than lucas, side-stories in the SW-universe

yerssot
and they are not canon

mah
and therefore should not be read big grin

Mujaffa
that depends on how much star wars fan you really are

Ushgarak
Literally spaking, the EU is any part of the Star Wars universe that, while BASED on the galaxy GL has created, is not actually something that comes from GL himself, or is directly derived from some such thing.

So the films, books, radio dramas and screenplays are NOT EU, because even if GL did not write the novels they are still directly based on his work.

The games and books and so on are all set in his universe but are original stories in their own right, and so EU.

As yerssot points out, the EU is not canon- though the two things are not necessarily the same. For example, parts of the novels are no longer canon, even though they are still not EU.

Mujaffa
eu books and comics kinda complets the univers

mah
well some like EU, some not, it has nothing to do with how big sw-fan you are

LanceWindu
The EU is something that at times does conflict with the story that George Lucas started.

But most of the time it is just something to read, listen to, play, look at, and such that is Star Wars.

It just gives you something extra in the Star Wars Universe that is not the movies.

For some after seeing the movies they want more, that's what the books, comics, games, and such are for.

The Expanded Universe isn't for everybody though. But count me in.

Budgie
I see. so I take it novels about star wars are EU?

I'm currently reading "Heir to the Empire" by Timothy Zahn. Is this the sort of thing you guys mean by EU?

So basically, EU is just other authors making up stories based on places and characters created by GL?

By the way, what do you mean by canon??

LanceWindu
Canon means it IS Star Wars and IS George Lucas' ideas. Meaning it was made by him and his company alone and it's from exactly what he wants.

Non-canon means it is Star Wars, but not exactly from George Lucas' vision. Like the Grand Admiral Thrawn from the book you're reading now. If that book was completely agreed to by GL himself then Thrawn would have been human, because the Empire wouldn't allow women or aliens, which Thrawn is, to work for them.

Ushgarak
Yes. More specifically, when we say 'canon' with Star Wars we normally mean canon as pertaining to the films. EU has a canon of its own.

So canon is what is actually and indisputably true about that storyline. So, it is canonical that Luke destroyed the Death Star. That simply can't be argued.

But who designed it? The EU has had some ideas on that, but now he have it said CANONICALLY that it was the Geonoisans, so whatever the EU says about that is irrelevant.

The EU also has a plot about a prison planet around which the first Death Star was built. Nothing in the film yet contradicts that. But because it is EU, it actually has no offiical relevance to the films. So I could say that I don;t think it is true, and you can't say that I am wrong because an EU book says otherwise.

LanceWindu
Only time will tell if most of the EU is correct or not once the 6th and fina film is made. It will answer many questions retaining to the EU.

Mujaffa
it tell what happens between the movies

Dexx
The expanded universe is everything over the outer rims big grin big grin

Budgie
Okay, thanx for clearing that one up guys. I'm kinda new to all this stuff. (Have always liked the films but am really getting into books and other star wars stuff now that the new trilogy is being released.)

Captain REX
Wouldn't that make the RPG EU? It has it's own original storyline. big grin

yerssot
yes, it is EU

Ushgarak
What, MY RPG? No, it's not even EU because EU has to be sanctioned by Lucasfilm.

yerssot
then it's I SW? Illegal star wars?

mah
FMU (fan made universe) big grin

Ushgarak
Fa-MOO! I like it.

Captain REX
FMU, ISW, EU...it's getting confusing. confused

Corran
And it's sooo difficult to confuse you too Rex!!

yerssot
we haven't even started evil face

Julie
roll eyes (sarcastic) only bad things can come from that tone

yerssot
...or that smilie

Julie
Once again the great yerssot has confused me roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
it's all in the typing big grin

Julie
oh now I'm scared roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
already?

Julie
actually it was probably some time ago......yes already roll eyes (sarcastic)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.